Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Knuckles getting stretchy arms would own.

You just described the werehog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The Cutscene at the end of Press Garden implies that Eggman used the Ruby to warp back to the Little Planet in the past and give the ol' Sonic CD Master Plan a second go.

I kinda hope the heavies become recurring minions. Robotnik can fix 'em up and make more cool new ones.

I think it's a little more complicated than that--in Lava Reef Act 2, you can see the Little Planet looming in the background. That seems to be why we go from Lava Reef to Metallic Madness.

I think Eggman pulled the Little Planet out of wherever it goes when it disappears, rather than going back in time. He probably took control of it and started using the entire planet as a Death Egg, and flew back to Angel Island to make a play for the Master Emerald.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Losing your last life on the final boss feels real bad. God TMZ2 is long.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Apparently you can play the Switch version with a single joy con but I can't figure out how to activate this. I've even tried booting up the game with only one joy con activated but it's still stuck on dual mode.

I did learn you can navigate the menus on the touch screen though.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Just got all the chaos emeralds as Sonic + Tails and got the good ending, now to do it with Tails and Chuckles

Game owns

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Someone said they couldn't do it earlier, but on PS4, to do level select:

-Go into secrets (with triangle), activate debug mode
-Hold X and Square while you click OK
-While still holding X and Square, press start

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Further weirdness; I just played CPZ act 2 and beat the boss, after which... I died. I was all wtf, and played again, and won again, and died again. I was again wtf. I resolved to capture a screen of it this time. On the third time, I don't know wtf brain drugs Eggman was on but I got destroyed, and died again but rightfully. At this point I was a bit mad. I played a fourth time; and won. This time I did not die, which if anything only made me madder.

Helluva glitch.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Folks, I think Infinite may be your fan character corrupted by the ruby and propelled through spacetime.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fedule posted:

Apparently you can play the Switch version with a single joy con but I can't figure out how to activate this. I've even tried booting up the game with only one joy con activated but it's still stuck on dual mode.

I did learn you can navigate the menus on the touch screen though.

Whether your joycon is in paired or single mode is determined by the switch's OS. On the home screen there's a thing that allows you to repair devices, hit that and then press the L and R buttons on the single Joycon and that will pair it with the switch by itself.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Does anyone know how well PS4 Share Play works with this game? I'd love to play some racing with people but we all got it on different systems and my Internet is way too lovely for me to host.

I'd imagine even with a good connection it would give the host a huge advantage but it might work for co-op.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

How do you get the secret ending I keep hearing about? It's not just when you have all the chaos emeralds and beat eggman and the egg robo, is it?

I also saw the & Knuckles ending.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's all you have to do.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Playing a Knux run and I got all the Emeralds in one run. Feels good. The bonus Master Emerald boss was so cool!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have historically been terrible at getting chaos emeralds.
:negative:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I actually like that you can spin dash off and kill yourself easily in Mirage 1. It's authentic to how it was in Sky Chase.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Not sure if these got posted here. But the Sonic twitter account has been on fire lately
https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/897535387005997056

https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/897482203906617344

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/897506044326191109

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/897196715010252800

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

TFRazorsaw posted:

Forces has been in development longer than Mania and Generations Classic Sonic wasn't negatively received by the majority of players when Generations came out. The fandom's perspective isn't always everyone else's, or at least it wasn't three years ago when they started making this game.

people had lost their frame of reference for a good classic sonic until mania

generations classic sonic was rear end

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I reckon Generations Classic was actually more like Adventure, minus the homing attack (until you unlock it), in 2d. The physics felt similar, the amount of air control you get and the way spindash is on a single button that can grind you to a halt and barely needs to be pressed at all for a full charge.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Classic Sonic in Generations was great. It was nearly perfect. It felt only slightly off, but after Sonic 4, it was practically a second coming. And giving him a skateboard in City Escape was great.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It'll probably be fine, just like (almost) every 2d Sonic since Sonic Advance.

On the other hand Mania's handling was shockingly good to me, years of latent muscle memory just instantly reactivated. In fact what with the perfect 60fps and smooth sprite rotation it plays even better than the originals.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People absolutely had a fram of reference. It's not like Sega stopped making the classic games available constantly. People kept being vocal about how the old games worked. Classic Sonic in Generations clicked with people based on its own merits.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

It'll probably be fine, just like (almost) every 2d Sonic since Sonic Advance.

On the other hand Mania's handling was shockingly good to me, years of latent muscle memory just instantly reactivated. In fact what with the perfect 60fps and smooth sprite rotation it plays even better than the originals.

There's this reputation Sonic has of being unwieldy and difficult to control (which is partially justified from the experience playing most of the 3D efforts and some of the more janky 2D ones) but with the physics done right this concern is shown to be false. Controlling Sonic is simple and feels completely natural at all speeds so as long as one let's go of their predisposition towards Mario-style "flat" platforming.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/898210664992448512

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

people had lost their frame of reference for a good classic sonic until mania

generations classic sonic was rear end

even compared to old sonics, mania is huge step up because of widescreen and the solid framerate

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's all you have to do.

Alternatively if you don't want to or have trouble getting all the emeralds you can still play the true final battle anyway through the Stage Select menu.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 17, 2017

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

People absolutely had a fram of reference. It's not like Sega stopped making the classic games available constantly. People kept being vocal about how the old games worked. Classic Sonic in Generations clicked with people based on its own merits.

classic sonic in generations doesn't have the same physics though

it just looks like classic sonic and had god awful zooming and poo poo level layouts

Zand fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 17, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Classic Generations physics weren't 1:1 Genesis accurate, but they were so very close. I gave it extra leeway too after the tire fire release of Sonic 4.

I'm looking forward to Forces.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Super Jay Mann posted:

There's this reputation Sonic has of being unwieldy and difficult to control (which is partially justified from the experience playing most of the 3D efforts and some of the more janky 2D ones) but with the physics done right this concern is shown to be false. Controlling Sonic is simple and feels completely natural at all speeds so as long as one let's go of their predisposition towards Mario-style "flat" platforming.

the classic games had a great system for determining jumps using the angles of the terrain sprites that sonic is standing on. unlike mario who would always jump "up", sonic's jump would be perpendicular to the one/two sprites his feet touched. at first it doesn't seem too impressive, but with levels like Green Hill Zone that have uneven ground the tiny dips and rises all over the stage can be exploited to make sonic's jumps higher and lower than if he were jumping off of flat terrain.

the last video i posted has a good example of this in mania, where i make a large jump from below ground into the goal spinner. i'm timing that jump when i get to a tiny, practically miniscule rise in the collapsable bridge the rise is on. if i were to jump on any other part of the platform i'd slam straight into the crabmeat because my jump height on flat land is nowhere near as high.

edit: here's some additional reading if you're interested in what makes sonic move: http://info.sonicretro.org/SPG:Solid_Tiles

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

"Classic" didn't feel nearly as good as Mania or the Genesis games in Generations. I enjoyed the modern levels way more in that and wish Forces focused more on that. Let Sonic Team focus on improving modern Sonic and let the the Mania Bros do anything classic Sonic imo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really can't imagine how someone could play Generations Classic Sonic and Mania back-to-back and say the former was "close". It didn't even have proper rolling. It was better than Sonic 4 but that's a low bar to pass

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
classic sonic generations was different so i can understand if people didn't like it, but once you got used to it, it worked well for what it was. i doubt they'll ever emulate classic sonic in a 3d engine perfectly so adjusting your expectations is required

lol if you think the level layouts were bad though

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

classic sonic generations was different so i can understand if people didn't like it, but once you got used to it, it worked well for what it was. i doubt they'll ever emulate classic sonic in a 3d engine perfectly so adjusting your expectations is required

lol if you think the level layouts were bad though

not my sonic

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not saying you had to like Classic Sonic in Generations. If you didn't care for it so be it.

But I do take issue with the suggestion that the only reason why it was well received is that "people didn't know any better" and find it to be to be pretty disingenuous.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Classic Sonic in Generations wasn't right, but it was the closest thing we had for a long, long time. It was pretty stiff but still felt way better than the garbage fire that was Sonic 4.

The thing that really stands out about Generations is that Spin Dash is also mapped to a button and you can rev one up at any time, even while moving. This means you can spam the spindash like you can in Sonic Adventure 1.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Classic Sonic was good for what it was and the game was designed around it, but it had odd quirks that would have made it unplayable if transferred to a Genesis game, like the jumping and general vertical movement being weirdly truncated and Sonic losing a lot of forward momentum when he bounces off enemies and boxes. I still liked it, but a successor to the Genesis physics it was not.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I really liked Classic Sonic in Generations, but I'm probably bad enough at Sonic that I don't notice any differences physics- or design-wise between it and the Mega Drive games.

It's arguable I was mostly just captivated by the art design (it's still a really pretty game even six years on)/music and excellent gimmicks like the homicidal GUN truck, the trolling goal post sign in Crisis City, and the barrel room in Rooftop Run.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just thought the classic segments were pointless and redundant since the modern segments still had 2D gameplay that barely felt that different other than a boost and a homing attack. I just want Sonic Team to only focus on modern Sonic since I don't think it's bad at all and keeps improving.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm not saying it was *bad* but Sonic Mania makes it look like amateur hour and its gonna be disappointing by comparison.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i doubt they'll ever emulate classic sonic in a 3d engine perfectly so adjusting your expectations is required

That's kinda the point, though. Why do we still need to emulate classic Sonic in 3D? For Sonic Forces to still be divided into classic Sonic and modern Sonic right after we get a full-fledged classic Sonic game that does everything way better, it doesn't really work. One of Sonic Mania's virtues is its ability to focus on one gameplay style and polish it to perfection. The 3D games could learn from this. They should just be focusing on ,making a good 3D Sonic game, not making it half Modern Sonic, half Classic Sonic, and also Modern Sonic itself is divided in half into 2D and 3D, and also there are stages where you play as the custom character with weird gadgets and poo poo. Sonic Team's games are in dire need of some real focus. What I don't get is how people who call themselves "Modern Sonic Fans" could defend this, because they're kinda the ones getting the shaft with this deal.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 17, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
turns out that sonic is uh..

*checks notes*

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I guess the problem is that if you just have Modern Sonic then you either end up with a really short or really expensive to make game. If not both.

Like, it's either Classic Sonic or some other game-padding mechanic like the Werehog, eight other playable characters or those barebones chaos emerald/multiplayer stages from Colours.