Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Reliving the good old Sonic days sounds like fun but I bought FFXIII-2 (lol) during the Humble sale, and now I'm going to try playing through the whole trilogy (double lol) so that will take some time until I probably give up somewhere around Gran Pulse.

Gran Pulse is the best area in the game idk why people always quit there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game's pacing abruptly switches from a fairly brisk and inevitable march forward from plot point to plot point to... what have I even been doing with my life for the past 30 hours. It's quite a shock.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It takes 10 hours to reach gran pulse. Hell the whole game is like 30 hours long

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It kinda goes from being tightly railroaded in every aspect to 'eh do whatever you want' without warning and also the difficulty ramps way up suddenly.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Earlier I called the Sonic stage "metallic madness" "metal mania" by mistake. I apologise for the error.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

petition to change the use of the word "gran" in any work of fiction to "granny"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My first playthrough of XIII clocked in at around 69 hours (nice).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

My first playthrough of XIII clocked in at around 69 hours (nice).

:cool:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mine was a totally average FF game 40 hours.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

This is how the Rage Virus starts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

petition to change the use of the word "gran" in any work of fiction to "granny"

Granny Turismo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

The entire voice cast of FFXIII makes granny noises whenever they're walking up a set of stairs or even just stand around, it's kind of distracting once you start to notice it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

exquisite tea posted:

The entire voice cast of FFXIII makes granny noises whenever they're walking up a set of stairs or even just stand around, it's kind of distracting once you start to notice it.

Being a l'Cie is just so hard on the knees dear

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

exquisite tea posted:

Reliving the good old Sonic days sounds like fun but I bought FFXIII-2 (lol) during the Humble sale, and now I'm going to try playing through the whole trilogy (double lol) so that will take some time until I probably give up somewhere around Gran Pulse.

Jesus christ this is the worst decision. Why? Do you have so little respect for yourself that you're going to throw away 100+ hours of your semi-precious life? I agree that there's almost always a better way to be spending your time instead of gaming but it's what we all love to do, but there's so many better games out there that going back to FFXIII and its siblings is like slamming your hand in a drawer out of boredom. At least play something that's interestingly bad and not something you needed to be Stockholm syndrome'd into enjoying 7 years ago.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lightning returns is good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what idiot called it lightning returns instead of lightning is striking again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Jesus christ this is the worst decision. Why? Do you have so little respect for yourself that you're going to throw away 100+ hours of your semi-precious life? I agree that there's almost always a better way to be spending your time instead of gaming but it's what we all love to do, but there's so many better games out there that going back to FFXIII and its siblings is like slamming your hand in a drawer out of boredom. At least play something that's interestingly bad and not something you needed to be Stockholm syndrome'd into enjoying 7 years ago.

1. I never played XIII-2 and they're not the worst games in the world.
2. Don't worry, I'll almost certainly get bored and do something else before then.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

LawfulWaffle posted:

I gave up getting mad at poo poo like this, I just sorta clench my teeth and think to myself at least its not my time being used. Its tough though, being stuck at work for 40 hours a week thinking of all the games I'm trying to squeeze into my limited free hours and there's a bunch o cunts out there playing final fantasy games multiple times.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

But Final Fantasy games are fun to play?

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'm sure there is someone out there on Persona 5 NG+2 and it makes me feel a bit queasy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

To be honest besides maybe Absolver and the (probably not good) LiS prequel there's not a whole lot of stuff that interests me for the remainder of 2017. This year has been good to me so far.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*seething furiously* what is wrong with these loving idiots playing video games they enjoy

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

The Colonel posted:

*seething furiously* what is wrong with these loving idiots playing video games they enjoy

I can't also enjoy them so i must be broken :(

There was a guy who posted a few pages back about finishing persona 5 in a week averaging 18 hours a day and good grieff even the thought of that makes me physically uncomfortable.

Macarius Wrench fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 17, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Grapplejack posted:

Are you enjoying it? BoF 3 & 4 are two of my favorite jrpgs.
It is like my fourth time so I am used to the bullshit. Last time was without using Accession at all and trying a low level game before giving up halfway. It was extremely boring. Next time, I will go fishing and break the game over my knee. Xenogears is my all time favorite game and I will utterly abuse Ether attacks and the Battling.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm billing u for the time I spend readin ur posts

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

To be honest besides maybe Absolver and the (probably not good) LiS prequel there's not a whole lot of stuff that interests me for the remainder of 2017. This year has been good to me so far.

i can't help but notice that you mentioned absolver but perhaps you meant to say ruiner. it's a pretty simple mistake, they're both being published by devolver digital

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No I very much mean Absolver, the game where your faceless avatar punches people releasing in two weeks.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Anybody have a game mechanic that just shuts your interest off?

I don't like crafting. I totally understand why crafting is a good mechanic and why people enjoy that part of the game, but for me it feels like taking out the quest part of the fetch quest. I don't mind busywork in other ways, but whenever there's a crafting system I start groaning.

My friends trying to get me to play Terraria and Minecraft years ago must've felt like they were pulling teeth.

vermin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 17, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

First person shooting

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

vermin posted:

No

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

levels and loot? don't give a hoot

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not gonna make me put the game down or anything but gently caress you if you include stick wiggling in your video game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

vermin posted:

I don't like crafting. I totally understand why crafting is a good mechanic and why people enjoy that part of the game, but for me it feels like taking out the quest part of the fetch quest. I don't mind busywork in other ways, but whenever there's a crafting system I start groaning.

Game progression that is gated behind rng item drops.

It's what kept me from finishing kingdom hearts chain of memories and .hack//quarantine. I just could not, for the life of me, get the correct items to progress in them. Then when I'd finally get an item I could use to progress with, I'd end up at another lock I couldn't open without having to grind and pray for the right item.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

vermin posted:

mmmm... nah :eyepop:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

what idiot called it lightning returns instead of lightning is striking again

lightning strikes twice

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think my GOTY list so far is:
1. Nier Automata
2. West of Loathing
3. Sonic Mania
4. Prey
5. End is Nigh

I'm not seeing anything else upcoming that might knock any of those off the list, so I think that'll be mine for this year.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is like my fourth time so I am used to the bullshit. Last time was without using Accession at all and trying a low level game before giving up halfway. It was extremely boring. Next time, I will go fishing and break the game over my knee. Xenogears is my all time favorite game and I will utterly abuse Ether attacks and the Battling.

I loving love the fishing in bof games, it's so fun. I'd go and play it again but I don't know how it emulates and i'm not going to pull my ps1 out of the box to play it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wuggles posted:

lightning strikes twice

this doesn't work because there's 3 of the final fantasy 13s though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
final fantasy xiii: 3rd strike

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees