Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Beasteh posted:

Thoughts from my Knuckles playthrough (all emeralds)

Certain bosses are way harder, I almost game overed on Oil Ocean 2 - I could see it getting balance patched to be slightly more forgiving since falling into the oil is a death sentence

I loved the alternate level structures such as Mirage Saloon 1 and Lava Reef 2, the Lava Reef 2 boss with the little thought bubble cartoons owned. JOO TAKE MAH EMEROODS

The & Knuckles ending is the best thing :allears:

PS if you want to farm Emeralds quickly with Knux go to Press Garden 1

Go right, hit the switch to get up to the ledge, go past the two badniks and as soon as you get on the cylinder drop down and go left, jump + glide over the conveyers and a super ring is hidden in the wall on the left

You can easily get there from the start of the level in like 26 seconds it owns

Can you see the &knuckles ending without playing all the way through no-save mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So one thing. I basically never used the drop dash for the entire game. It never seemed like something I'd ever need or would provide an advantage for me. Was that other people's experience?

But I kept finding myself trying to activate insta shield because Sonic 3 is basically programmed into my bones.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So one thing. I basically never used the drop dash for the entire game. It never seemed like something I'd ever need or would provide an advantage for me. Was that other people's experience?

I found it to be incredibly helpful for situations where I needed to get a quick burst of speed and stopping to rev up would be tricky. Worked great for conveyor belts, for instance. Or the Stardust Speedway. And it's a must-have for speedrunning of course.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hrist posted:

A better Beta build was used for in-store demos.

Say wha? I need to see this.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Yorkshire Tea posted:

But I kept finding myself trying to activate insta shield because Sonic 3 is basically programmed into my bones.

it becomes essential in time attack for bursts of speed while moving, which you can't get with the spindash.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not a Children posted:

Can you see the &knuckles ending without playing all the way through no-save mode?

Nope only way to fight the true final boss as tails or knuckles is via the stage select screen.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

I've heard legends that the castle level for either Sonic or Shadow existed as a Toys R Us store demo at some point. I've never seen footage myself though. But people said the stage played differently (built different, made more sense), and Sonic didn't do the weird face first dive off of jump pads like he does in Wave Ocean. He instead had a proper in air roll animation for those jumps.

Edit: also the mach speed wasn't a touch the stick at all and die situation. It was actually controllable like it was intended to be. So I guess it had to be the Sonic version of the level.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ChaosArgate posted:

IIRC it was only the first half of Sonic's Kingdom valley before the mach speed section, and it was only marginally less buggy because that's the only area of comparison we have.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
360 and PS3 were extremely capable of large game patches, why not distribute that to users after launch?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't think I get the tails flying mechanic. I can make tails fly by jumping, pressing up and jumping again, but every time sonic grabs his hands they both just float slowly down.

Only one time did I get tails to actually lift sonic, so I know it's possible, but I don't know what I did to make it work. What am I doing wrong here?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

You have to mash jump to make Tails fly up when you're holding on to him, same as if you were playing him alone.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

The package has arrived

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQUszbavp1U

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

360 and PS3 were extremely capable of large game patches, why not distribute that to users after launch?

Probably because prior to 2013 Microsoft charged developers $40k to patch their games, regardless of how big or small the patch was.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Twerk from Home posted:

Because that would mean working on the game some more and I don't think anyone wanted to go near that tire fire for anything more than the hard mode DLC.

Kurieg posted:

Probably because prior to 2013 Microsoft charged developers $40k to patch their games, regardless of how big or small the patch was.

Oh, that too, why pay that much to attempt to fix a broken game.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don't think I get the tails flying mechanic. I can make tails fly by jumping, pressing up and jumping again, but every time sonic grabs his hands they both just float slowly down.

Only one time did I get tails to actually lift sonic, so I know it's possible, but I don't know what I did to make it work. What am I doing wrong here?

Once you grab onto Tails, you're controlling him and not Sonic, basically.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Because that would mean working on the game some more and I don't think anyone wanted to go near that tire fire for anything more than the hard mode DLC.

Oh, that too, why pay that much to attempt to fix a broken game.

Also: What likely happened was they polished the gently caress out of 1/3rd of a level that one of the three characters plays through. Those engine improvements likely would not have transferred over to the other levels, and by the time they would have been in a position to release such a patch the damage would have long since been done to their sales numbers.

Releasing a patch in 07 that makes 06 suck slightly less would not have improved their image any.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there any references to that Sonic 3 barrel in this? I kept expecting it but dunno if I missed anything.

Started my second playthrough picking up chaos emeralds I missed, I love the COPE on trains in Studiopolis. Do we even know what was originally supposed to mean in Springyard?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic Forces doesn't seem to be on Amazon yet.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Started my second playthrough picking up chaos emeralds I missed, I love the COPE on trains in Studiopolis. Do we even know what was originally supposed to mean in Springyard?

"English word we think sounds cool", in all likelyhood. There's also "OFF" "ON" and "CPU", and beta versions had "GOGO" and Signs with cursive "Good Luck" and "Good bye"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The level of references in this game....if you do a Tails only run, Sonic is piloting the plane in the beginning, wearing goggles. The unused goggles sprite from Sonic 2.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

classic sonic generations was different so i can understand if people didn't like it, but once you got used to it, it worked well for what it was. i doubt they'll ever emulate classic sonic in a 3d engine perfectly so adjusting your expectations is required

lol if you think the level layouts were bad though

The level layouts in Generations were, imo, extremely good. They were a little more setpiece-based than the classic games ever were but it worked for what it was and allowed them to do some new things.

I will forgive a lot of flaws in a Sonic game if you nail the important things--big levels with multiple paths and a sense of control. Classic Sonic in Generations didn't control like the classics no, but you still felt in control of him at all times, and none of the stages, classic or modern, were simple, straight shots to the end of a course. There's variance and a sense of exploration. That's what Unleashed, Colors and Generations got right to me.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nope only way to fight the true final boss as tails or knuckles is via the stage select screen.

There's actually something a little extra if you do Titanic Monarch's boss as Knuckles & Knuckles rather than stage selecting to Egg Reverie.A third Knuckles is piloting the Eggrobo car and THEN it shows you the & Knuckles ending

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

nerdbot posted:

There's actually something a little extra if you do Titanic Monarch's boss as Knuckles & Knuckles rather than stage selecting to Egg Reverie.A third Knuckles is piloting the Eggrobo car and THEN it shows you the & Knuckles ending

:perfect:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Help I can't stop flipping the on switch on the Sonic Mania Statue

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Do sonic tails and knuckles actually have different physics?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zelder posted:

Do sonic tails and knuckles actually have different physics?

Yes, knuckles jump is slightly shorter than Sonics, just like it was in S3&K.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I remember when I first heard about Sonic Mania I was out with friends and I saw tweets that the next game was going to be an "official fangame" and I scoffed at it. I figured Sonic Mania was going to be the next Mega Man x Street Fighter, like a very cheap copout.

I realized how wrong I was the moment I got home and watched the trailer, but it's still very funny to reflect on now that we're all here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nobody answered. why do i have to wait two extra weeks on pc.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Groovelord Neato posted:

tuning up game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Adding playable Princess Elise

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

They're tightening up the graphics.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

nerdbot posted:

I did this with Debug Mode and lemme tell ya it is so fuckin' worth it to go through Titanic Monarch as a level. At least do Act 2 since that's a bit easier to finagle and doesn't have that one tower elevator boss thingy.

Also, I think a combo of Debug Mode/Level Select just straight locks cheevos.

Also also, can I just get Titanic Monarch's soundtrack tia

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What is the deal with Original/Mania Blue Sphere? I assume Mania just has you play through the stages from the normal game (so, the S3 and S&K stages plus the new ones) and Original is the procgenned ones from NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY?.

On a related note, I would like to register my interest in murdering whoever came up with the Blue Sphere stage that's just one big long spiral toward the middle with jumps.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fedule posted:

What is the deal with Original/Mania Blue Sphere? I assume Mania just has you play through the stages from the normal game (so, the S3 and S&K stages plus the new ones) and Original is the procgenned ones from NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY! NO WAY?.

On a related note, I would like to register my interest in murdering whoever came up with the Blue Sphere stage that's just one big long spiral toward the middle with jumps.

Mania is new stages with new mechanics including purple spheres that teleport you and green spheres that you have to touch twice.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're tightening up the graphics.

Hopefully now also fixing the small raft of bugs that have popped up in the console releases.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

widespread posted:

I did this with Debug Mode and lemme tell ya it is so fuckin' worth it to go through Titanic Monarch as a level. At least do Act 2 since that's a bit easier to finagle and doesn't have that one tower elevator boss thingy.

Also, I think a combo of Debug Mode/Level Select just straight locks cheevos.

Also also, can I just get Titanic Monarch's soundtrack tia

yes you can

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

Bloody Pom posted:

Hopefully now also fixing the small raft of bugs that have popped up in the console releases.

I got a really weird glitch in a special stage where the UFO suddenly rubberbanded backwards while Knuckles the Enchilada just stayed running in place. Game is still GOTC i need more sanics.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

This hasn't been posted yet? Shameful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z1Hjtklq60

Yes, the video is that short. Yes, he beats all Special Stages in that timespan.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Stink Terios posted:

This hasn't been posted yet? Shameful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z1Hjtklq60

Yes, the video is that short. Yes, he beats all Special Stages in that timespan.

what is happening

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The special stages are really fun. Turns out the Sonic CD approach is pretty cool if you have actual depth instead of pseudo Mode-7. I love that the backgrounds have elements from Sonic 1's special stage with the weird bird and fish imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

The Switch version needs some serious work with how the game interacts with outside Switch stuff. Luckily, Tantalus did the port for Switch, so that shouldn't affect the PC team.