Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

WampaLord posted:

I don't think Seinfeld ever declined and it ran, what 8-9 years?

I think a decade or so is the sweet spot, maybe a little less. After that you've probably used up all the good ideas you have.

Guess it depends on how you feel about the post Larry David years. But yeah, a decade seems to be the absolute limit that you can sustain excellence, but that's like living to 120; you're talking 99th percentile at that point. Even an all-timer like 30 Rock, which was never bad, was showing some wear by seasons 5-7.

I think Parks and Rec is a pretty good example of a typical show arc: took about 20 episodes (a season and a half) to figure out the characters, had two, maybe three unimpeachable seasons, then started to fall into the normal late sitcom patterns- characters become a bit more cartoonish, gets a little self-referential, bringing back one-joke characters just a few too many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Seinfeld sucked when Larry David left after season 7

Nah, it was fine. Only the finale was bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it took american dad until season 3 to find itself but its been really good ever since. not every episode is amazing but eh

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

Yes and also Homer has been raped for laughs at least 3 times now. Once by Marge, once by a panda, and once after being drugged by a pharmacist he was dating.

The panda one is funny because pandas are infamously not into loving, so that's the joke.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Jose posted:

it took american dad until season 3 to find itself but its been really good ever since. not every episode is amazing but eh

Each season has a couple of duffers but overall American Dad is solid as gently caress, as soon as McFarlane stepped back to pretty much just voices it flourished- whilst its still not exactly PC, it doesn't seem to have that same mean streak that Family Guy (and Jerkass Homer) have. The Xmas episodes are always highlights.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I watched this last night, it's a pretty great breakdown of the rise and fall of The Simpsons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

This guy sounds like baby Werner Herzog

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

berth ell pup posted:

I contend the Deep Space Homer (s5) is the first truly bad simpsons episode. The premise is contrived, and they guest voices (aldrin?) were poorly done. Some people just can't be voice actors. I bet it took 100 takes to get a suitable "Careful! They're rippled!" and the one they used is still pretty bad.

Buzz Aldrin's guest appearance on Futurama was fine.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There was an episode of the Simpsons in the past few years where Homer gets involved in a fat acceptance group. It's not especially good, but it does have a really nice ending where he and Marge go on a walk for exercise and it goes through a montage of them walking together through the years with Homer going through a variety of different body shapes. It reminded me of my parents :3:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Buzz Aldrin's guest appearance on Futurama was fine.

Also on 30 Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcWweblGjnU

"I walked on your face!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

General Dog posted:

Guess it depends on how you feel about the post Larry David years. But yeah, a decade seems to be the absolute limit that you can sustain excellence, but that's like living to 120; you're talking 99th percentile at that point. Even an all-timer like 30 Rock, which was never bad, was showing some wear by seasons 5-7.

I remember when Seinfeld called it quits, at the time he said it was because he didn't want it to become a shell of what it was. Yeah, there was a drop in quality post-Larry David, but it was still decent. He was right though, he could have kept going.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I mean while Larry David is the subject, Curb has always been consistently fantastic.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I looked up that Muslim episode because I vaguely remembered it, and apparently there's an even newer episode where everyone thinks Homer has converted to Islam. It's a spoof of Homeland, because that 24 episode aged so very well.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

bongwizzard posted:

The panda one is funny because pandas are infamously not into loving, so that's the joke.

The panda rape thing isn't really funny on its own, but now that I think about it the concept of a bunch of Simpsons writers and animators gathering in some conference room and having a fervent round table discussion on how best to go about having Homer get raped by a panda is very funny and I wish there was video of it

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Homer wasn't raped by a panda, he was wearing a panda suit and there was probably no way for the male panda's penis to penetrate the suit

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Profanity posted:

I mean while Larry David is the subject, Curb has always been consistently fantastic.

Because he only makes the show when he has an idea for a season. He doesn't have to churn it out year after year like most shows

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

General Dog posted:

Always Sunny had an impressive run, but it's clearly running out of gas at this point.
eh i dunno. the latest season was as good as any, but they really swung for the fences with the finale (and pulled it off well, i might add) and it's hard to see it being the same show next season, especially if glenn howerton's show works out. the magic is in the gang learning absolutely nothing, it'd be weird to see charlie handling fatherhood and dennis coming back changed. mac accepting being gay isn't a big change, he'd be the same brash insecure guy but gay

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 18, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

facebook jihad posted:

Because he only makes the show when he has an idea for a season. He doesn't have to churn it out year after year like most shows

Does any other show have that freedom? Curb started in 2000 and it's 9th season is premiering this year.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does any other show have that freedom? Curb started in 2000 and it's 9th season is premiering this year.

The Venture Brothers, I suppose.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I thought Aqua Teen was crazy with its starting in 2000 and ending in 2015 after only 11 seasons. Imagine a show running from 1967 to 1982.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought Aqua Teen was crazy with its starting in 2000 and ending in 2015 after only 11 seasons.
the creators wanted to make more seasons but mike lazzo is a stupid jerk and cut them off at 11. i'd also say that's a show that stayed stable throughout its run. lots of people tuned out after season 3 but the seventh season has one of my favorite episodes of the series (Multiple Meat)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Seinfeld sucked when Larry David left after season 7

The jerk store called, they're running out of you.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Wizard Master posted:

Homer wasn't raped by a panda, he was wearing a panda suit and there was probably no way for the male panda's penis to penetrate the suit

Exactly, he was only getting his padded rear end rammed and humiliated. The suggestive rapey jokes make everyone remember it as full-on rape. They should have just not gone in that direction.

The Mighty Boosh did the "panda costume scenario gets out of hand" joke much better, when Howard leaves just too late to let Vince out of the enclosure. Vince gets tackled from behind and dragged out of view. Later it turns out he ended up wining and dining the panda out of pity

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought Aqua Teen was crazy with its starting in 2000 and ending in 2015 after only 11 seasons. Imagine a show running from 1967 to 1982.

Venture Brothers has done six seasons since 2003

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

the creators wanted to make more seasons but mike lazzo is a stupid jerk and cut them off at 11. i'd also say that's a show that stayed stable throughout its run. lots of people tuned out after season 3 but the seventh season has one of my favorite episodes of the series (Multiple Meat)

I am just now watching past season 6 and so far it is all pretty grim. Multiple Meat was good though.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Thanks to reading this thread I decided to pop on one of the YouTube live streams of the Simpsons. Not even five minutes in and it's an episode where Marge and her friends are doing a photo shoot for a calendar but the photographer doesn't think Marge's outfit is sexy enough so he gives her wine until she's drunk and posing seductively and willing to take her clothes off. That's um, awful?

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 18, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

that video a page or two ago by the weird irish kid really nailed it

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

Maybe the panda likes getting head, tho

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Earwicker posted:

We watched it last night and I definitely thought about how true it was about joke structure as I watching today.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Earwicker posted:

I quit watching after the first word he uttered revealed his low-t Virgin Voice

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

54 40 or gently caress posted:

We watched it last night and I definitely thought about how true it was about joke structure as I watching today.

Yeah, the bike joke is a great example, as well as his example of how only a few extra seconds of thought turns a really lazy joke from a modern episode into a good, layered one.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Thanks to reading this thread I decided to pop on one of the YouTube live streams of the Simpsons. Not even five minutes in and it's an episode where Marge and her friends are doing a photo shoot for a calendar but the photographer doesn't think Marge's outfit is sexy enough so he gives her wine until she's drunk and posing seductively and willing to take her clothes off. That's um, awful?

Thanks to this thread my YouTube feed is overflowing with terrible Simpsons clips. One I clicked in last night featured Homer, Lenny, and Karl as part of Burns Entourage complete with matching track suits. And some Suge Knight stand in repossessed Burn's house.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I quit watching after the first word he uttered revealed his low-t Virgin Voice

uh i think he was literally just a kid

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

WampaLord posted:

Nah, it was fine. Only the finale was bad.

I liked the Seinfeld finale a lot more once I took the reading that Jackie Chiles intentionally threw the case to get revenge on Kramer for loving him over so many times.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Earwicker posted:

Uh yeah so like he said, a loving low t no balls virgoon

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, the bike joke is a great example, as well as his example of how only a few extra seconds of thought turns a really lazy joke from a modern episode into a good, layered one.

There was another one where Marge is getting hard judged by other sanctimonious moms and just gets into Homers junk food stash and there's an incredibly awkwardly delivered "you found...the preciousssss" by homer. It sounded like Dan Castellana totally just phoned it in for the line. And another with Bart pranking some older prankster who made Skinner such an uptight rear end in a top hat.
I'm a sucker for punishment

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Earwicker posted:

Never underestimate a goon's ability to be giant weirdo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Earwicker posted:

somebody said that it was just a video version of the Zombie Simpsons blog, but that was a good read to begin with

i really need to watch the season 10 episode with alec baldwin and kim bassinger. that was another turning point for the worse for the simpsons. it marked the first episode where guest voices playing themselves stopped being plot devices and started to be ways for characters to say "HOLY poo poo IT'S A FAMOUS PERSON." season 9 still handled that correctly, although off the top of my head, the only appearance i can remember was U2 in the 200th episode

they did that when magic johnson and paul & linda mccartney guest starred as well, but that didn't last over an entire episode

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
And it at least worked because
A) Paul and Linda McCartney are/were famous vegetarians
B) the Beatles spent time in India so Paul knowing Apu for that reason is at least something to work with

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

And it at least worked because
A) Paul and Linda McCartney are/were famous vegetarians
B) the Beatles spent time in India so Paul knowing Apu for that reason is at least something to work with

yeah i mean that's a good episode but that ending was really pretty bad. 9 year old me found the "it's still good, it's still good!"/"when pigs fly" bit unbelievably funny.

of course then we can go back to whatever season that was with "john jay jackson" and his happy birthday lisa song which is loving bizarre to watch.

hell i think i have s2-s9 on dvd we should pick an episode and watch it this is a good audience participation in gbs idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the kim basinger episode has some funny bits to it. homer giving alec his script is great.