Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Can you use &Knuckles mode with Sonic & Tails and have all three of them running around together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Can you use &Knuckles mode with Sonic & Tails and have all three of them running around together?

Nope.:(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Special stage 5 can eat a bag of dicks

Are there any bonus rings in Metallic Madness and Titan Monarch Zone?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What do those game show letters spell out in studiopolis?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Honestly I think I've spent more time doing stages in time attack than working through the story mode. Finally cracked 2 minutes on Chemical Plant 2 :cool:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Discendo Vox posted:

One spells out LOCK ON.:)

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Discendo Vox posted:

One of the sets says LOCK ON, I think

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

There are some all the way through the final level, I think. For sure act 1, at least.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Discendo Vox posted:

Another spells out GENESIS DOES

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 18, 2017

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Another says something like

EGGMAN
PRIVATE
TV

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Discendo Vox posted:

In addition to the ones mentioned already, one is kind of out of the way:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Al-Saqr posted:

WHO WANTS SOME CHEMICAL PLANT SAX METAL?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl5xwbt7kj8

ALSO gently caress YOU CONSOLE HAVERS I GOTTA WAIT TWO WEEKS AAAAA

Me, I definitely want it :D.

fake edit: and same. Ah well, at least I'm on holiday next week to take my mind off it :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mercury Crusader posted:

In addition to the ones mentioned already, one is kind of out of the way:

This is on the side of the box for the collector'a edition too.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Another says something like

EGGMAN
PRIVATE
TV

Its Eggman Pirate TV

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mirage Saloon Zone Act 2 in 45"77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyuyX3CeAIk

This act is extremely fun, but I did make 1 mistake so this can be improved

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Evil Eagle posted:

Mirage Saloon Zone Act 2 in 45"77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyuyX3CeAIk

This act is extremely fun, but I did make 1 mistake so this can be improved

NAAUUOOOOO REKORD!!!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

NAAUUOOOOO REKORD!!!

I like how he did different recordings for Gold, Silver and Bronze

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This game needs ghost/recording and replaying. And uploading the replay when it's record-breaking. And add the same time trial/replay system to Sonic 1/2 on a console/PC remaster release.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Beat awesome Mega Emerald Heavy in Knux Lava Reef 2 at 9'58"75 and 0 rings

I dare you to be more clutch than me :agesilaus:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 18, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Finished my first playthrough last night. Only one Emerald as I suck and both finding and winning the special stages. Although I only just realized rings give you more time.

It's nice to have Sonic condensed back down to what worked, no ridiculous extended cast.

Oh look it's Nack, Bean and Bark! Ray is probably the only more obscure character they could have used! I'm not clear if it was actually them or robot shapeshifting, but re-imagining them as an outlaw gang works.

Also, final boss question: Is it possible to dodge the hands that teleport you to fight one of the robots?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also, final boss question: Is it possible to dodge the hands that teleport you to fight one of the robots?

As far as I can tell, no. I dodged one for a good 30 seconds and it never went away, I just jump into them ASAP now.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

BizarroAzrael posted:

I was able to do it by playing as Sonic with Tails. You can evade the hands as Sonic and if you're lucky enough, both hands can capture Tails at the same time. The trigger for the next hard-boiled heavy fight only kicks in when a hand captures Sonic though, so the boss fight stalls until you timeout or restart.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

Finished my first playthrough last night. Only one Emerald as I suck and both finding and winning the special stages. Although I only just realized rings give you more time.
gently caress

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

TheKingofSprings posted:

:yeah: Easily the hardest one.

quote:

Yes. Metallic Madness 1: Continue through the first "background" area as long as you can, there's one as soon as you hit the foreground.

I know of two in Titanic Monarch, but the only one I know how to get to is done by totally removing the yellow bumpers from a high-up wall. That's in Act 2, I think.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
Why is the voice for goal/new record etc so awkward and out of place? Is it meant to be a parody or a Sonic fanbase inside joke of some sort? I haven't played a Sonic game since Adventure.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I can't believe all the wrong people in the thread who don't like Sonic 2's special stage. I find Blue Spheres really boring.

Maybe it's an age thing, I think I got my Mega Drive in early '93. Sonic 1 was a pack-in, so I played the poo poo out of that. One of my friends had Sonic 2, so I played it a bunch and probably borrowed/swapped with Sonic 1 temporarily. By the time Sonic 3 came out, I remember renting it and thinking it was ok, but a little dull. Also I remember disliking Knuckles. So I really don't have the love for it that people in this thread seem to have. I don't think I ever even played & Knuckles (maybe I rented it for a night or a weekend or something, though).

I think Mania is the first Sonic game I've played since then.

I beat FBZ last night, I think I originally had the same problem as someone on the last page with going through the lower route on Act 2. I somehow ended up on a different route last night, and had a much easier time. It was late and I was going to go to sleep, but ended up playing through all of PGZ, only I died at the boss of Act 2. :argh: It was annoying because he seemed easy enough, I was just a bit dumb. The Lives mechanic is probably my biggest gripe, it is a bit annoying to get shunted back to Act 1 when you die.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 18, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tax Oddity posted:

Why is the voice for goal/new record etc so awkward and out of place? Is it meant to be a parody or a Sonic fanbase inside joke of some sort? I haven't played a Sonic game since Adventure.

It's the announcer from Daytona USA. Sega in-joke.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
S2 special stage is my fave, I never really got the argument that they were too reliant on memorization as the blue spheres were largely the same and you got so many tries in each playthrough you could probably fail each one three times before the end of the game.

AI tails was garbo design tho.

Sonic Rush is probs the best version of that sort of halfpipe design, tight controls and some nice gimmicks to keep things fresh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MikeJF posted:

DAAAAAAAYYYYYYYTOOOOOONNNNNAAAAAAAA

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

AI tails was garbo design tho.

It's very simple rather than garbo, he just mimics your movements about a third of a second after you perform them.

This is why I could never understand why people keep talking about Tails screwing up your run; if Tails has ten or more rings even in the later special stages then you are doing something very, very wrong.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

MikeJF posted:

Now it makes sense. Thanks!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

He's also the singer of at least one Burning Rangers song and I think Space Channel 5 too. And PSO2 but nobody knows about that.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Is there a ROLLING STAAAAAAAAART reference though? If not, game is trash, 4/10.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's very simple rather than garbo, he just mimics your movements about a third of a second after you perform them.

This is why I could never understand why people keep talking about Tails screwing up your run; if Tails has ten or more rings even in the later special stages then you are doing something very, very wrong.
It creates a loosable buffer of rings that can seemingly rob you of victory. Sure you wouldn't have those extra ten rings playing Sonic alone but it sucks balls watching them disapear because tails ran straight into the bombs you deftly dodged a second ago on the final straight.

It was cool that you could play them in co-op though, afaik that feature has never returned.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Just having Tails with you raises the ring threshold you need in the s2 special stages.

They are garbage because you need to be prescient to get the rings and avoid bombs the first time, while blue spheres requires no memorization and you can just react.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edit: Does it raise the ring threshold? Fair enough then. Still didn't need him. :smugbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Edit: Does it raise the ring threshold? Fair enough then. Still didn't need him. :smugbert:

Yeah this is the main reason why Sonic 2's special stages are bullshit if you have Tails with you. The increase is usually only like 10 rings, but some stages bump it up by up to 40 rings.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Is there a secret to doing the special stages in this? I'm stuck on the fourth one. I run out of time after 3 or 4 laps, or fall down one of the many many holes every single time. I never even get close to the UFO.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Is there a secret to doing the special stages in this? I'm stuck on the fourth one. I run out of time after 3 or 4 laps, or fall down one of the many many holes every single time. I never even get close to the UFO.

Focus on getting orbs for speed early on, and on later laps make sure you're taking the shorter paths. On levels with ramps, I think being airborne is slower, so just jump over or avoid ramps if you're trying to catch up. Jumping also helps you corner if you find yourself going off the track on turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
That's what I've been doing so I guess I'm just bad :smith: