Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what episodes were these two things?

Also what comic was this?

I'm super behind on things..

"Vendettas" and "The Gathering" parts 1 and 2. "Vendettas" comes immediately after "The Gathering," incidentally.

Wonderella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Not letting people use guns or say death and die hasn't really been a thing for like a decade now. Even LEGO, who are notoriously anti-gun, let them shoot people in the Lego Batman movie. Albeit with all the people making pew-pew sounds instead of actual gunfire.

Movies don't have to deal with the same censors that TV shows do.

Modern TV shows definitely get away with death more (Clone Wars in particular has a huge deathcount), but I still have yet to see proper realistic guns in a cartoon that children are expected to watch. Of course, with the way the NRA and gun laws are going in America, I should feel glad that there's somewhere where someone has drawn the line.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

X-O posted:

It was most definitely a wide release.

BoxOfficeMojo posted:

Domestic Total Gross: $18,115,724

Opening Weekend: $3,870,366 (#8 rank, 1,549 theaters, $2,498 average)

Movies running that week

A Goofy Movie made $35 million.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Movies don't have to deal with the same censors that TV shows do.

Modern TV shows definitely get away with death more (Clone Wars in particular has a huge deathcount), but I still have yet to see proper realistic guns in a cartoon that children are expected to watch. Of course, with the way the NRA and gun laws are going in America, I should feel glad that there's somewhere where someone has drawn the line.

I think I heard somewhere that the censors are happy for you to show real death, or say death-related words, but not both at once.

Also I'm trying to find that Wonderella comic but I can't remember the keywords/name for the life of me. I hate searching archives.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
As far as Supes is concerned I could see the logic of "let's not show this guy having bullets bounce of his chest with real guns least little timmy dumbnuts tries it with a real gun."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nerdman42 posted:

I vaguely remember that there was a Justice League episode where the heroes went to a Nazi-controlled Earth and the writers were told they could either use the Nazi symbol or real guns but not both. So they did the former.

Speaking of Nazis, there was an episode of Captain Planet that had Hitler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0MVuWDc5RQ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think I heard somewhere that the censors are happy for you to show real death, or say death-related words, but not both at once.

I think this popped up in Korra where a character had a relatively graphic onscreen death, but in reference to the event, people had to say the character had been "taken out."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I think this popped up in Korra where a character had a relatively graphic onscreen death, but in reference to the event, people had to say the character had been "taken out."

Jet's death in ATLA was left somewhat ambiguous for this reason as well (the only real indicator being a single line from Toph). Of course then in Korra we got stuff like the villians from season 1 getting blown up, a character in season 3 getting asphyxiated on screen (which I'm guessing is what you were referring to here) and finally a character getting crushed to death in the last season (Avatar was surprisingly dark for a kids show now that I think about it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 17, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Don't forget the one whose head was exploded.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I'll never forget that episode of Gargoyles where Goliath is sent to that dark future and gets to see everyone he knows and loves die horribly.

Of course, it was all just Puck loving with him, but still, it was pretty messed up. They made Broadway blind!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Don't forget the one whose head was exploded.

True, I'm actually surprised how much they were able to get away with on Korra (and ATLA to a lesser extent), maybe the fact that half the series wasn't aired on TV thanks to meddling from Nick had something to do with it. And that's not even going into other stuff like Bloodbending, Zuko getting half his face burned off, and Korra being literally tortured.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 17, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Interweb posted:

That one was good because Captain Planet was rendered useless by the immense amount of HATE spewing forth from Herr Leader.

Which, i mean, I guess if HEART is part of his powerset, makes sense?

Rhonne posted:

I'll never forget that episode of Gargoyles where Goliath is sent to that dark future and gets to see everyone he knows and loves die horribly.

Of course, it was all just Puck loving with him, but still, it was pretty messed up. They made Broadway blind!
The little gay one being an evil techlord was really unsettling.

But not as unsettling as their Dr. Moreu using advanced gene-splicing to make a sexy werecat Eliza Maza.

Incidentally, I really liked that Eliza was multi-ethnic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I always bring this up, but that part of Maza's heritage came about because of the casting. She was originally supposed to be Latina (her original name and design ended up being used for the police captain, I think) but when they cast Salli Richardson, who is part African-American and part Native-American, they just made the character match her ethnicity more closely.

And on the sci-fi weapon thing, I always liked how reasonable Gargoyles was with those. They had laser weapons, but the visible beam was supposed to be an aiming guide, like real laser sights, and the actual deadly component was an invisible particle beam.

Larryb posted:

True, I'm actually surprised how much they were able to get away with on Korra (and ATLA to a lesser extent), maybe the fact that half the series wasn't aired on TV thanks to meddling from Nick had something to do with it. And that's not even going into other stuff like Bloodbending, Zuko getting half his face burned off, and Korra being literally tortured.

Bloodbending was one of those things people joked about being a thing that you could do but that the show would never allow and then... they just had it be the focus of multiple episodes, nbd.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rhonne posted:

The 2000s TMNT did that too. Quite common in a lot of things, really, I think X-Men mighta popularised it with the original Days of Future Past.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

I always bring this up, but that part of Maza's heritage came about because of the casting. She was originally supposed to be Latina (her original name and design ended up being used for the police captain, I think) but when they cast Salli Richardson, who is part African-American and part Native-American, they just made the character match her ethnicity more closely.

And on the sci-fi weapon thing, I always liked how reasonable Gargoyles was with those. They had laser weapons, but the visible beam was supposed to be an aiming guide, like real laser sights, and the actual deadly component was an invisible particle beam.

Bloodbending was one of those things people joked about being a thing that you could do but that the show would never allow and then... they just had it be the focus of multiple episodes, nbd.

Not to mention how gradually they had energy weapons spread out

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finished watching Angry Beavers, and I think the show holds up as well as it ever did. So much of the humor of the show comes from the goofy ways that the main VAs talk and mispronounce everything, I really wonder how the hell the scripts were written in the first place. There were also a bunch of episodes that centered around simple beaver biology, which is always a nice touch when you have animal characters, acknowledge they're animals. Reminds me of a lot of the early Spongebob episodes.

It's still a drat shame that the last episode never got animated.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never get tired of this.

They should get one of those "everyone commits 10 seconds of animation" groups to actually put it together.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't say it made money. I said it was a wide release. Running in 1500 theaters in 1990 was a wide release. The number one movie that week, Ghost, was in 1700 theaters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

I never get tired of this.

They should get one of those "everyone commits 10 seconds of animation" groups to actually put it together.

The ironic thing is that little segment is what got the show cancelled in the first place. From what I've heard it was apparently done as an April fools gag but Nick didn't care for it and actually canceled the show as a result.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Larryb posted:

The ironic thing is that little segment is what got the show cancelled in the first place. From what I've heard it was apparently done as an April fools gag but Nick didn't care for it and actually canceled the show as a result.

Eh, it seems to have run for 62 episodes, which is basically par for the course in that era. Wikipedia indicates that the episode was canned because it had the characters acknowledge that their show was ending, rather than that they were fictional, which makes a lot more sense.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Onscreen torture in cartoons seems to be okay as long as it's delivered via electric pain beams. Superman: TAS is the first show that seemed to go all in on that.

This conversation reminds me of something from a lot of 90s cartoons about school kids. I guess they couldn't really show someone get beat up, so they used the threat of " swirlies" from bullies. You get your head stuck in the toilet and it's silly. I never heard of it happening in real life.

Then, last year, an episode of Archer, of all things, has him dealing with some of his school bullies, and the flashback to Archer getting a swirly is loving terrifying. Archer is a mean show about mostly lovely people, but they definitely want you to feel sympathetic for the victim there. The bigger kids were in his face screaming death threats at him, he gets a bloody nose, and he gets pneumonia after he aspirates toilet water. And all of that is something I think they did to the dorky kid from Recess.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dr Christmas posted:

Onscreen torture in cartoons seems to be okay as long as it's delivered via electric pain beams. Superman: TAS is the first show that seemed to go all in on that.

This conversation reminds me of something from a lot of 90s cartoons about school kids. I guess they couldn't really show someone get beat up, so they used the threat of " swirlies" from bullies. You get your head stuck in the toilet and it's silly. I never heard of it happening in real life.

Then, last year, an episode of Archer, of all things, has him dealing with some of his school bullies, and the flashback to Archer getting a swirly is loving terrifying. Archer is a mean show about mostly lovely people, but they definitely want you to feel sympathetic for the victim there. The bigger kids were in his face screaming death threats at him, he gets a bloody nose, and he gets pneumonia after he aspirates toilet water. And all of that is something I think they did to the dorky kid from Recess.

Swirlies are a real thing, it's just that among the various forms of bullying it's one of the easiest to turn into something soccer moms won't protest about

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mr Interweb posted:

Or that episode of Hey Arnold where Hitler gets his rear end kicked by Grandpa

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

achillesforever6 posted:

Or that episode of Hey Arnold where Hitler gets his rear end kicked by Grandpa

I remember that because when I was a kid, I thought it was funny that they replaced the swastika with a frowny face :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I finished watching Angry Beavers, and I think the show holds up as well as it ever did. So much of the humor of the show comes from the goofy ways that the main VAs talk and mispronounce everything, I really wonder how the hell the scripts were written in the first place. There were also a bunch of episodes that centered around simple beaver biology, which is always a nice touch when you have animal characters, acknowledge they're animals. Reminds me of a lot of the early Spongebob episodes.

I remember Norbert went on to voice Salem in the Sabrina cartoon and Dagget famously voices Invader Zim, in pretty much the same voices. Those two alone pretty much carried much of the show.

And the Oxnard Montalvo Halloween special was wonderful.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite Salem line was probably him waiting for the phone to be free - "I want to call in to shout at Nick Bakay's radio program! He has terrible musical tastes and that voice... GOD is he annoying!"

I always like those silly little self-referential jokes :3:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

I remember Norbert went on to voice Salem in the Sabrina cartoon and Dagget famously voices Invader Zim, in pretty much the same voices. Those two alone pretty much carried much of the show.

And the Oxnard Montalvo Halloween special was wonderful.

Richard Horvitz(Dagget) was also the voice of Alpha 5 on Power Rangers (with pretty much the same voice as his other characters, I think the guy's voice is just naturally squeaky. Either that or it's a stage persona like is the case with Gilbert Gottfried), not sure if he's done anything recently though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 18, 2017

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Recently he's been the voice of Kaos in the Skylanders games/show, where he still uses the same voice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gann Jerrod posted:

Recently he's been the voice of Kaos in the Skylanders games/show, where he still uses the same voice.

From what I have seen of Kaos. He is literally Invader Zim.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

While on the subject of video games, I know he's still on board as Raz for Psychonauts 2, as well as in the VR game that came out earlier this year.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Forget Darkwing for a second, THEY FREAKING SAID Crêpe Suzette! COULD THIS BE THE GLORIOUS RETURN OF DON KORNAGE?!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Forget Darkwing for a second, THEY FREAKING SAID Crêpe Suzette! COULD THIS BE THE GLORIOUS RETURN OF DON KORNAGE?!

Little hard to do as I believe TaleSpin chronologically took place in the 1930s but I'm sure they could figure something out.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 19, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well it's also not the same universe as the original Disney afternoon shows so I reckon they can do whatever they drat well please.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

Richard Horvitz(Dagget) was also the voice of Alpha 5 on Power Rangers

Holy poo poo :monocle:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They got OG Teen Titans on Saturdays at 5 now it seems.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larryb posted:

Little hard to do as I believe TaleSpin chronologically took place in the 1930s but I'm sure they could figure something out.
I think it's the same thing as BtAS having tommy guns and zeppelins, and streamlined fat cars and a general 40s ish aesthetic, while across the bay Metropolis has loving 8 story superhighways, retrocomputers in desks , rayguns and an art deco futurism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I think it's the same thing as BtAS having tommy guns and zeppelins, and streamlined fat cars and a general 40s ish aesthetic, while across the bay Metropolis has loving 8 story superhighways, retrocomputers in desks , rayguns and an art deco futurism.

They're pretty consistent with it in TaleSpin though. Radio is the medium of the day, zeppelins are still a thing, the only jet engines and helicopters seen are bleeding-edge prototypes equivalent with sci-fi tech today, and the implied sort of Pacific (I think) setting still has a lot of relatively unexplored islands and land. Though the (super-racist and withdrawn) China episode is Cold War Communist, iirc.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Not at all a kids show but relevant to the batman discussion - I really liked how Gotham kept that aesthetic of every moment in time all rammed together. There were aspects from all over - people were wearing old-fashioned suits that belonged in the 40s while Nigma had a rant about enjoying playing videogames, and in a great recurring visual gag everything about Oswald Cobblepot was old-fashioned even by the series standards - his suit was a hand-me-down from his grandfather, so where everything else fit into the 20th century in some way even if it was decades between them, the Penguin was constantly stuck in the 1800s visually, while calling a crane operator on his cellphone at the same time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The new Spider-Man show has real guns (the police) and futuristic laser guns (the villains).

In the Origins shorts (which might be coming up in an episode), Peter specifically mentions that a bullet killed Uncle Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

They got OG Teen Titans on Saturdays at 5 now it seems.

Also Sunday Marathons. Well they're utilizing what they have and probably think kids will like the older serious stories if they enjoy TTGO so much, but there's probably going to be whiplash and I'd hate to see the Mr Enders Types gloat about potential numbers this could "bring back". But there is still a audience for this kind of thing, I just don't know if they have anyone that wants to do action toons nor do i know if their toxic relationship with Warner would let that happens.