Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Episode Three is a good place to call it for now. They've established the big bad and the entire team is together. If it's like the other Marvel Netflix shows this is where the quality starts to drop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For Sigourney Weaver and Deborah Ann Woll, I shall watch it until I pass out in a haze of smoke.

Then finish it after work tomorrow.

Only on episode two, but it's okay so far. I'm enjoying all the Matt stuff a lot. I missed Daredevil.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Episode 3, I straight-up guffawed at "You grab me like that again, I'll punch you so hard you see."

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Danny is still completely clueless, but in small doses I'm not finding him annoying yet.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
3 episodes in, Danny is still dumb but he's a lot more tolerable. I think his coreography has improved, but Finn Jones really needs to carry all the groceries in at once or something, dude needs some muscle mass.

The other three are great, I forgot how fun Jessica was.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
2 episodes deep and I'm loving it. I don't get the complaints about pacing from some of the reviews, you can't just throw 4 different characters together straight away, and there are 5 series' worth of supporting characters to deal with too (and just about everyone has shown up so far, which is a delight). It's ticking along nicely, building up the mystery, everyone finding their way towards the centre at their own pace. It's good.

Luke and Danny's first meeting is a loving DELIGHT. I've already forgiven Iron Fist a lot of its faults just for that scene alone.

God I've missed Jessica Jones though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

Luke and Danny's first meeting is a loving DELIGHT. I've already forgiven Iron Fist a lot of its faults just for that scene alone.

Hah, yeah, I spoilered that but it was a great ending to episode 2. I hope Danny continues to be a huge clueless dweeb because that was a really fun scene.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Episode 3:

Elektra's training montage at the start was better than all of Iron Fist. All of it.

Show owns.

Edit: also, OMFG Stick you ultimate badass. Now that's a goddamn unique way to escape.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 18, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arist posted:

Episode 3, I straight-up guffawed at "You grab me like that again, I'll punch you so hard you see."

Yep.

I also laughed at how fast Danny and Luke went from "you aren't so bad" to bickering like a married couple ending with Luke storming out

Finn and Cox's fighting game has been upped. Both look much more capable and convincing as kung fu men this go around. I also think Finn is getting better direction as well. He's less scatterbrained man-child and more man with a singular mission who acts impulsively - which is much more in line with the comics.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Ep 1 opening scene fuuuuuuuuuuck. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. How many people are even fighting? Who died? I have no idea what's going on.

Edit: Seriously that opening has really dampened my enthusiasm.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 18, 2017

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E5: I like how at least half the episodes so far have found ways to include some calling out Danny on how naive and ignorant he is. "You are the dumbest Iron Fist yet" indeed.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Couldn't sleep so watched ep 3. It's pretty par for the course so far compared to the other Netflix Marvel shows. Everything picks up and starts to come together end of episode 3.

I recommend you watch until end of ep 3 and then go from there. So far that seems like where it hits its pace.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
An actually good, brilliant even, Iron Fist fight sequence. Gang, we are through the looking glass here.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

An actually good, brilliant even, Iron Fist fight sequence. Gang, we are through the looking glass here.

Stick: you are a thundering dumbass (to Iron Fist)

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I need a video of every time someone makes fun of Iron Fist in this show. It's all great

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Through the first three episodes, and they've gone after Iron Fist's flaws with surgical precision. He's even damned impressive in a fight.

The action is on point too, with the exception of that bone jarringly awful episode 1 sequence. Like holy hell, how did anyone think that was a good idea?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Cage and Danny eating together is cute as gently caress.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Okay, done with Ep2 Dany seems to irritate me even more than he did on Iron Fist. Not only is he bad and clueless and incompetent, now he's also mopey. Watching him get thrown around by Luke is the only thing he's good for. Other than him the show is great fun though. Oh, and that opening ep1 fight was an embarrassment for Netflix, Marvel, the entertainment industry, and the human race.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

End of episode 6: UHHHHHHHHH

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Reviewers who got to *that* cliffhanger moment at the end of episode 4 saying "meh" have some explaining to do. Jessica Jones' triumphant return to the gang by smashing through the window with a car, bodying Elektra in the process, gently caress me I love her so much.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E7: loving LOL! Of course they'd get a "superheroes on the subway"-gag in there.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Arist posted:

End of episode 6: UHHHHHHHHH

Yeah, I dunno...pretty typical for the Netflix shows, really. See if it works out or not

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Episode 8: THEY FUCKIN DID IT, MISTY LOST THE ARM

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
E8: Woah, didn't expect that. I guess there won't be a DD season 3...

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Slashrat posted:

E8: Woah, didn't expect that. I guess there won't be a DD season 3...

You spoke too soon

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
First episode first fight... never change, hyperbole squad.

Never change.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Never change.

Lol if you didn't think those constant cuts of people fighting in the dark wasn't complete bullshit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ten minutes into the first episode and Foggy is already the best.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Episode 8: Let the entire credits play.

Overall thought it was decent if not phenomenal. Really excited for JJ season 2 from this though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Episode 6, and honestly I'm still not quite sure what the actual big threat is supposed to be. But I was *not* expecting that ending.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Never change.

It was pretty bad

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

counterfeitsaint posted:

Lol if you didn't think those constant cuts of people fighting in the dark wasn't complete bullshit.

Well, I guess it's one way to hide Danny can't fight for poo poo.

Enjoyed the first episode and made the mistake of starting the second and not finishing it before work.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Same, finished ep 2 and I'm done for the night. Seems pretty good so far, they do seem to be keeping things focused which is good when you're blending four shows together in an 8-episode miniseries.

Finn Jones' fighting seems to have improved based on the fight scene (end ep 2) against Luke Cage which I thought was pretty funny. Danny just trying to be all fancy and failing miserably until bam, Iron Fist.

Yeah I think it's made pretty obvious Alexandra is centuries old, at least. They also make a very big show about how Madam Gao is her inferior, like when she tells Gao to finish feeding the birds. Alexandra's a big fish.

Show seems off to a decent start. Not amazing, but promising.

I got three episodes in and I am pleased. They are taking the time to allow the interaction of the characters to build and that is a good thing. Plus I am SO glad they managed to contractually lock down all the important characters. I really don't think this would work at all if there were any changes in staffing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is the giant hole from Daredevil explained? Not looking for spoilers but yes / no is fine.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SalTheBard posted:

Is the giant hole from Daredevil explained? Not looking for spoilers but yes / no is fine.

Yes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Well, I guess it's one way to hide Danny can't fight for poo poo.

Enjoyed the first episode and made the mistake of starting the second and not finishing it before work.

Yeah, after I saw a thing with Jackie Chan about framing fight scenes, every time I see a fight scene with a poo poo ton of jump cuts I remember him just laughing and saying "that's to hide the fact they can't fight"

The opening fight is really weird in the context of the season, because later fights have been competently shot and choreographed. There's still a bunch of cuts, but they aren't as blatant as that first fight.

EDIT: I've got ep 5 on, and Jessica continues to own.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Ok done it was fine it was just ok it wasn't the worst it was only like one-third silly imho a good job.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Never watched Iron Fist but I've heard stories. I really hope that very first scene isn't a sign of quality to come...

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Excellent thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Finished. Overall I thought it was great. I mean, I woke up to find it was online and watched all 8 hours straight through, that's as good a recommendation as I can give. Didn't change my life, but 3 characters I really liked (and Iron Fist) finally teamed up, swapped some decent banter, and took part in a few kickass fights together. Solid, if not truly exceptional series, with some occasional exceptional moments.