Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's always best to temper your expectations with Japanese CG. PotM doesn't look as bad as it gets, but there's still that weirdness about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
omg why does Godzilla make me so unreasonably hype

So does Pac Rim. Or basically any giant monster/robot media. Why? What THING in my brain is it attacking?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I dig giant monsters, you dig giant monsters, chicks dig giant monsters, it's nice.

In other news, I'm planning to finally watch Kong this Friday if it's still in the Redbox by Kroger.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tommy 2.0 posted:

So does Pac Rim. Or basically any giant monster/robot media. Why? What THING in my brain is it attacking?

i had a book when i was younger called Godzilla likes to Roar, who doesn't like a big radioactive dinosaur who appreciates the simple pleasures

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

He probably fell from space like Megatron.

In fact, I'm confident that that's what they're going for.

A lot of things besides transformers have fallen from space you quack

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Improbable Lobster posted:

A lot of things besides transformers have fallen from space you quack

Right, including King Ghidorah

It's kaiju all the way down.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

Right, including King Ghidorah

It's kaiju all the way down.

Maybe I'm misremembering but King Ghidorah is traditionally "sent" from space, on purpose while it's kaiju like Hedorah and Space Godzilla that "fall". Frankly it wouldn't surprise me if Ghidorah is just a really really dangerous prehistoric monster rather than an alien.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In his first movie Ghidorah is just like some sort of cosmic deathbringer that destroyed Mars/Venus (depends on whether you watch the dub or subtitled version) and hatches on Earth to start again.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the way the lore works out there is Ghidorah was doing his own thing, wiping out civilizations across the universe, came to Earth, got his rear end kicked back into space. Then the aliens from Planet X captured him with their mind control tech after he kicked their planet's teeth in. Then the cockroach aliens some how got ahold of him, and finally some space slugs from who cares where.

It's kind of a tragic fate. The last time he operated under his own free will was VS Gigan.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Tommy 2.0 posted:

It's called your inner child, full of mystery and wonder. When I was about seven I happened to glance upon a double VHS pack in a supermarket of all places (Godzilla: King of the Monsters/Godzilla VS Mechagodzilla) and immediately and instinctively knew that I needed this. All I knew was that there was someone called GODZILLA who was the KING OF THE MONSTERS and there was also a MECHAGODZILLA. My mom saw the look in my eye and knew it was a done deal.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Burkion posted:

Yeah, the way the lore works out there is Ghidorah was doing his own thing, wiping out civilizations across the universe, came to Earth, got his rear end kicked back into space. Then the aliens from Planet X captured him with their mind control tech after he kicked their planet's teeth in. Then the cockroach aliens some how got ahold of him, and finally some space slugs from who cares where.

It's kind of a tragic fate. The last time he operated under his own free will was VS Gigan.

The 1st and 3rd Rebirth of Mothra flicks kinda try to bring this lore back a little, having him first attempting to conquer prehistory, and being what wiped out the dinosaurs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gidorah as a hero in GMK was weird.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gidorah as a hero in GMK was weird.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
GMK Ghidorah is dope

Maybe I'm misremembering but King Ghidorah is traditionally "sent" from space, on purpose while it's kaiju like Hedorah and Space Godzilla that "fall". Frankly it wouldn't surprise me if Ghidorah is just a really really dangerous prehistoric monster rather than an alien.

There is no tradition. In the '64 film, he's prophesied as a harbinger of the apocalypse and hatches from a meteorite. After that, his manifestation is just a contrivance of conspiratorial alien forces, but there is no logical continuity between these appearances.

The viral marketing is saying two important things: 1) Ghidorah is on ice in Antarctica, 2) He's described by the lead scientist as "the devil."

Guess who also fell from heavens? Guess who also resides in the lowest, coldest point in the earth?

I only bring up Megatron because in Transformers, they're drawing on roughly the same classical associations. But so does Who Goes There? / The Thing from Another World / The Thing

Also, Hedorah didn't fall. He mutated from a tadpole in heavily polluted water.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm rewatching the Heisei Gamera trilogy and holy poo poo you guys I forgot how good they are. I love the Godzilla movies of that era but the set design in the Gamera movies makes Godzilla look like he's rampaging through a bunch of cardboard boxes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Return of Godzilla was the last one with a REALLY good city set

I was going to say 'until' but really only 2014 and Shin surpass it, and neither of them used sets as much.

Also rewatching 2014 Godzilla, what a beautiful goddamn movie. Like plot wise, it's never anything amazing, but what is amazing at are the visuals, the unspoken character stuff, and the connections between characters.

And just showing how loving devastating a kaiju merely existing would be. Godzilla can't even come onto land without killing thousands of people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My apartment complex has 14 on their DVD rental shelf so I might try for a rewatch after Kong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RichterIX posted:

I'm rewatching the Heisei Gamera trilogy and holy poo poo you guys I forgot how good they are. I love the Godzilla movies of that era but the set design in the Gamera movies makes Godzilla look like he's rampaging through a bunch of cardboard boxes.

I haven't seen those yet. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a kaiju movie than in the original Showa Gamera movie where the military goes "he's a turtle, let's just flip him on his back" and the events that immediately follow, though, and it's that kind of goofiness that really brings me to the genre as much as any kind of serious drama.

Which makes Shin Godzilla especially good since it's a fantastic marriage of the goofy and the serious.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

14 is an awesome movie, it's pretty much the best IMAX experience I've had. It's a shame Gareth Edwards is dipping out of large-scale projects after Rogue One. The guy has 'sense of enormous scale' down to a fine art. Monsters was a neat movie as well, also awesome looking. I'd love for him to do a follow-up (not Dark Continent).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I haven't seen those yet. I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a kaiju movie than in the original Showa Gamera movie where the military goes "he's a turtle, let's just flip him on his back" and the events that immediately follow, though, and it's that kind of goofiness that really brings me to the genre as much as any kind of serious drama.

Which makes Shin Godzilla especially good since it's a fantastic marriage of the goofy and the serious.

If you have a Fry's near you they routinely put the blu-ray set with all 3 on sale for like $5. They're really good but they are kind of on the serious side compared to the earlier ones. They are also a lot more violent than the contemporary Godzilla movies.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fun game to play when watching Shin is to count how many meeting-levels deep they go. I think they go into about five levels of sub-meeting at one point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like, one thing I feel like I have to emphasize- anyone that complains about the main character in 2014 fundamentally misunderstands him as a character and what his role in the story is.

One of the most groan-worthy moments in Pacific Rim for me is the anime as gently caress "FOR MY FAMILY" in glorious nipponese because it is something that absolutely does not need to be there. Everything she does is 'for her family', why does she bring it up RIGHT THEN? Is it because she finally got to use her stupid sword that the other dude jacked into her brain some how didn't know about? It can't be because she's finally killing a kaiju, because she already killed Leatherback, and she sure as gently caress didn't go into it there.

2014 Godzilla has the exact same moment happen, only it's extremely subtle, earned, and ultimately mirrored.

And it didn't need the main character shouting "THIS IS MY CHARACTER'S FULFILLMENT TOWARDS FAMILIAL LOSS" to get it across.

Jesus Christ just the themes of family, and families being reunited and torn apart, is so on point in 2014. Half of the movie's entire message goes unsaid but is super obvious.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tommy 2.0 posted:

my favorite movies of last/this year so far have been Shin Godzilla and Colossal so I guess I'm the same

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Burkion posted:

Like, one thing I feel like I have to emphasize- anyone that complains about the main character in 2014 fundamentally misunderstands him as a character and what his role in the story is.

One of the most groan-worthy moments in Pacific Rim for me is the anime as gently caress "FOR MY FAMILY" in glorious nipponese because it is something that absolutely does not need to be there. Everything she does is 'for her family', why does she bring it up RIGHT THEN? Is it because she finally got to use her stupid sword that the other dude jacked into her brain some how didn't know about? It can't be because she's finally killing a kaiju, because she already killed Leatherback, and she sure as gently caress didn't go into it there.

2014 Godzilla has the exact same moment happen, only it's extremely subtle, earned, and ultimately mirrored.

And it didn't need the main character shouting "THIS IS MY CHARACTER'S FULFILLMENT TOWARDS FAMILIAL LOSS" to get it across.

Jesus Christ just the themes of family, and families being reunited and torn apart, is so on point in 2014. Half of the movie's entire message goes unsaid but is super obvious.

She yells that cause it's a dumb anime and that's why that moment is funny and good.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
To be honest, it giant monsters killed my entirely family and I was wielding the one weapon capable of destroying them, I'd probably yell "For my family!" too as I laid waste to them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'd probably have something cool to say too but absolutely gently caress the delivery then have it haunt it forever.

Or immediately think of something even better to say.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

K. Waste posted:

GMK Ghidorah is dope

There is no tradition. In the '64 film, he's prophesied as a harbinger of the apocalypse and hatches from a meteorite. After that, his manifestation is just a contrivance of conspiratorial alien forces, but there is no logical continuity between these appearances.

The viral marketing is saying two important things: 1) Ghidorah is on ice in Antarctica, 2) He's described by the lead scientist as "the devil."

Guess who also fell from heavens? Guess who also resides in the lowest, coldest point in the earth?

I only bring up Megatron because in Transformers, they're drawing on roughly the same classical associations. But so does Who Goes There? / The Thing from Another World / The Thing

Also, Hedorah didn't fall. He mutated from a tadpole in heavily polluted water.

Hedorah absolutely fell, he was in a meteor from the "Dark Gas Nebula" and just looked like a tadpole in his first form. Did you forget that the movie ends with another Hedorah meteor falling to earth?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given they've hinted Hedorah was involved in The Great London Smog, I wonder what take they'll have on him in the more naturalistic Legendary movies. Some kinda creature adapted to volcanic environments or mutated by pollution?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A look at the anime Godzilla in toy form

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/new-godzilla--servum-toy-images-from-planet-the-monsters

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hadn't thought that Legendary would be why we wouldn't be getting Shin 2 til 2020. Rights agreements are keeping Toho from making another live action Big G until Godzilla vs Kong comes out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How did they get away with making Shin in the first place?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I would guess it was in development before 2014 came out.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd guess they're supposed to alternate but the timing doesn't quite work out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also seem to remember talks of a new Gamera movie but that didn't seem to go anywhere.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wasn't expecting to see a Tencent logo in front of Kong, but I guess it's not surprising given how important China has become to blockbusters.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Waffleman_ posted:

I wasn't expecting to see a Tencent logo in front of Kong, but I guess it's not surprising given how important China has become to blockbusters.

isn't Legendary wholly owned by that Chinese conglomerate now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're owned by a different Chinese company. Wanda Group.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hedorah absolutely fell, he was in a meteor from the "Dark Gas Nebula" and just looked like a tadpole in his first form. Did you forget that the movie ends with another Hedorah meteor falling to earth?

Yeah, it's a fair cop, I'd forgotten that part. Space monsters were big back then, Toho trying to compete with Daiei and all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is definitely not Big G 14, they are puttin' this bad monkey boy front and center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I also seem to remember talks of a new Gamera movie but that didn't seem to go anywhere.

If they got the guy who did the Heisei one's back and did a sequel to 4 I'd loving die. It's not gonna happen but i'd die.