Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/898538051533545472

It'd be nice to be told at least a bit about what it means. Because, you know. It's August 18. Three months until release, roughly 30 seconds worth of info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It'd be nice to be told at least a bit about what it means. Because, you know. It's August 18. Three months until release, roughly 30 seconds worth of info.

Aloha Thundurus.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Final box arts:

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Pentaro posted:

Aloha Thundurus.

Copyright Game Freak
Please do not distribute

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

E: ^^^ sublime

hangedman1984 posted:

Weird, I always thought Ghost used to be special, but just looked it up and nope. Feels weird that Ghost-types were physical.

In Gen 1 I read somewhere that ghost types couldn't be hit by normal moves, and I thought that that meant I had to use special attacks only. :downs:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like the girl's new hat.

I made my X character dress like a 90's ska band rudeboy. Looks like Ultra Sun will be a bucket-hat wearing boy band member from the double-oughts.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
More details are on the website.

Evidently this is the same protagonist as the first set of games, they just have a new outfit this time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

less laughter posted:

Final box arts:

Well now I kinda like Lunala.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Maybe we're actually getting gyms this time. :dance:

Hopefully they won't be last minute additions like the trials were.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder if this is a sequel or outright upgrade.

RareAcumen posted:

Well now I kinda like Lunala.

Hell yeah, Lunala looks badass in that. Gonna go Moon again.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/898580140736733184

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

would rather have seen new megas.... gah....

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
*in voice which initially seems excited but a trained ear can hear the fear and anger underneath* oh boy, new z-moves

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
That's an amazing Z-move. Probably won't affect the meta, considering the Tapus.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Everybody is so hyped for Pokemon following you again but I bet my soul it's only the special Rockruff that evolves into the dusk form. Don't buy into it. :smith:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

dont know anything about the video game's meta but that Z move just sounds broken

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Kummo-O Finally ready to take his place as the best Pseudo-Legendary

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Fairy is immune to Dragon

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The tapus and other fairies would probably still poo poo on kommo-o.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Especially since the boost likely won't trigger if they no-sell it.

And if you have a Kommo-o on your team this is the only thing you even might be bringing it for. Team Preview ruins another gimmick :(

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Dr. Fetus posted:

The tapus and other fairies would probably still poo poo on kommo-o.

Its gonna get Gunk Shot, and Gunk Shot will get the trashcan animation back.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rudoku posted:

Gunk Shot will get the trashcan animation back.

but now an Alolan Grimer will fly out of it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Don't immune'd Z-moves still do 25% damage? I don't think you can no-sell them so he'd get the buff.

Also very, very few teams run more than one Tapu and you can just, yknow, have something on your squad that lures tapus or whatever. This move is clearly going to facilitate late game sweeps - you can safely ignore the defense boosts and just treat it as Dragon Dance But Also Special, and if you can keep your kommo-o safe until the second half of the match when other stuff has taken hazard damage you're in a good place. Just put him in after something on your team dies against something you can soak a hit from (or outspeed) and use your z-move to do a shitload of damage and buff yourself. You'll almost certainly kill any Tapu who switches in on that after a Poison Jab or Flash Cannon, especially with some hazard or past damage.

Scarf Lele would be bad news of course but it's hardly enough to immediately say "wow I guess this amazing new tool is just completely unviable owned by team preview and a tapu RIP". Koko doesn't even run Fairy moves!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Z-moves only do smaller damage if they hit a protected Pokemon. They don't work at all on immunities.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ah ok, thanks. I stand by my comment about lures though, pokemon dont exist outside the vacuum of your team!!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's a new feature in USUM that Game Freak put a lot of time and effort into!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nt5H6QDvF0

It's taking pictures. :geno:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
unironically good

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's a new feature in USUM that Game Freak put a lot of time and effort into!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nt5H6QDvF0

It's taking pictures. :geno:

That was already in SuMo though.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Dr. Fetus posted:

Maybe we're actually getting gyms this time. :dance:

Hopefully they won't be last minute additions like the trials were.

Some of them are kinda weak, but I don't think trials were a last minute addition. The entire island progression is based around them. :psyduck:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pokemon snap 2

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

pokemon dont exist

:yeah:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I wonder if the reason info on this game is so scarce is because pretty much all of SuMo got spoiled.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ziddar posted:

Some of them are kinda weak, but I don't think trials were a last minute addition. The entire island progression is based around them. :psyduck:

Surprisingly enough, they actually were.

quote:

Yeah and little things like the Trials, which were a big part of Sun and Moon, came very late to the point where like that they couldn't like, Ohmori had to work with the tools that he could as the director, like he couldn't get artists to come in and help him make new assets and stuff like that. He had to design the Trials late in development just based on like writing and whatever he could figure out.

Which is why they're so weird, where there's those weird little games where you're trying to match Marowak's dancing, and like one is a little bit different, and how bizarre and different those are is like that they didn't have the programmers to do something more extravagant.

Yeah he's like, because I can't animate this character I could probably put him in poses, like that's kind of how those Trials came about.

This definitely explains why trials were all over the place in quality. Like one was a quiz on a black screen and the last one was a straight line.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Christ of course I sleep through the news dump. Still, some good stuff we've seen so far, hope they keep it on the down low, so we go into these games not knowing much.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I hope Slowpoke/Bro get a Z-move called something like "Ultra Amnesia" that does nothing the turn it's used, but then 3 turns later gives +6 to every stat it has

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr. Fetus posted:

Surprisingly enough, they actually were.

This definitely explains why trials were all over the place in quality. Like one was a quiz on a black screen and the last one was a straight line.

That's unexpected. But now that they know how Trials go, they can improve upon them with actual development time and programmers and make them even more fun and unique. They were already a blast with those limitations and a wonderful change from the stale 20-years-old formula, so I can't imagine how good they can be with proper time put into them.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Crosspeice posted:

hope they keep it on the down low, so we go into these games not knowing much.

Oh my sweet summer child. As usual the entire game will be datamined well before release.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well it was datamined fully due to the demo, so if there's nothing like that this time around, then the only thing that will spoil stuff is stores breaking street date.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

that photo mode looks neat

also I like that Lunala Moon Nebby keeps the :3: face even with the upgrade

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

oh for gently caress's sake, I'm getting hyped about pokemon again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

New Alola Map

There's a lot of small subtle changes to the map I'm noticing this time around, similar to B2W2's map.

First big thing I notice is there are now rocks south of Poni Breaker Coast, meaning we can now surf in that area? Whereas the beach on Poni Wilds no longer has rocks around it, meaning you can get to Exeggutor Island without a boat? You can just surf there?

There's a new white building on Secluded Beach, south of Route 12.

There's a brand new beach area behind the motel on Route 2, as well as behind the Tide Song Hotel in Heahea City.

The Elite Four area on Mount Lanukila has become more rounded, meaning the construction there is already complete at the start of the story? There's also a bit of cliffside jutting out on the bottom right of the mountain that intrudes onto Haina Desert.

There are new orange buildings on the empty plots of Heahea City, Royal Avenue and Malie City, while the new Alola Photo Club buildings are in Hau'oli City and Konikoni City. Also nearly every building in Hau'oli City has changed colour. The plot on Seafolk Village still looks empty.

It also looks as though some of the water in the Lake of the Sunne/Moone and Brooklet Hill are gone, but that could be a trick of the setting sun.

A small island on Kala'e Bay has become much larger and nearly takes up the whole area now.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 18, 2017