Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is there anything new in super power efficient small form factor laptops (does anyone use the term netbook anymore)? Looking at stuff like the Intel Celeron N3450 and N4200 with a TDP of 6W. Not sure if anyone has played around with these. I'm personally a big fan of the 11.6" laptop that's almost a tablet market that makes a tablet actually useful for work. Attaching tablet keyboards are almost universally trash and tablet processors are almost universally trash. I'm currently using an 11.6" Latitude 3150 with a Bay Lake N2840 and love it but see there is more power with equal TDP out there since the N2840 was all the way back in Q3 '14. If I want to get the latest and greatest in energy efficient processing for Windows 10 usage laptops what should I be looking at? The reason I like the efficiency is I basically want a ton of battery life while still having a lightweight laptop and not having the build quality be crap.

It's a tiny market niche and the Latitude 11 fit it really well.

Is there something better out there than this?
http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetails/latitude-11-3180-laptop

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can get a Thinkpad 11e with 11.6" screen for $250 it has a N3150/N3160 which has the same 6W TDP:
http://ark.intel.com/products/87258/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3150-2M-Cache-up-to-2_08-GHz

Kaby Lake Y-series CPUs are in the 7W TDP range, e.g. M3-7Y30 is 7W:

http://ark.intel.com/products/95449/Intel-Core-m3-7Y30-Processor-4M-Cache-2_60-GHz-

The Thinkpad 11e is the ancestor of the beloved X120, X120e, X130/e designed primarily for the education market but as a result also really sturdy, comes in Chrome OS, Windows, Linux flavors, periodically you can get them with AMD processors as well but typically Intel:

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/outlet....6+in&uq=&text=

Edit: Here's an AMD powered Win10 11e on ebay for $199, ebay will probably have a bunch of various configurations to look at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...fYAAOSwP2FZjMMg

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 16, 2017

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wowee yeah those Y series CPUs look awesome, thanks! I suppose my post was a bit confusing because people in this market are usually on a budget but I basically want to get the most power efficient high benchmarking 11.6" laptop possible.

Looking at the benchmarks the m3-7Y30/m3-7Y32 are a far better pick than the N4200. Sure am glad I posted here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322635338065 :eyepop: 3901 CPU Mark, 7W TDP, 12" laptop :eyepop:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 16, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
You're also comparing cpus that come in under $300 laptop to cpus that come in over $800 laptops.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I had no clue they sold high benchmark power efficient CPUs in smaller laptops though. I didn't know that was a thing until basically now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Look at the MacBook too if you're in that price range! The screen is great.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If money is no object, take a look at the i7 Macbook Retina with the i7-7Y75 CPU @ 7W TDP:
https://ark.intel.com/products/95441/Intel-Core-i7-7Y75-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_(Retina)#Technical_Specifications

https://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/

edit: the keyboard is garbage due to how thin it is (all the thickness is battery) so test one out before you click buy. That HP is probably ok.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 16, 2017

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Maybe I'm too stuck on benchmarks but based on this:

It seems $ to performance wise I'd be better off with something like this:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-11-3168-2-in-1-laptop

e: Doesn't come with an SSD with the m3-7Y30 :bahgawd: but at 379.99 I could chuck in a 500 GB SSD.

Lest I'm missing something this seems like price/performance ratio this owns bones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F3R9258/

Yeah it might be cool to have the extra 300 CPU Mark score but am I really going to notice the difference on a daily basis? At least this way I could buy a new laptop every time intel releases a new generation of processors that in theory will inevitably benchmark higher while keeping relatively the same TDP. Thanks again goons I would have never found this without your help!

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 16, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

If you're looking at 12" models with thick bezels, maybe check out the size of the near bezel-less XPS13 and see if it falls into your size range.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's not a huge difference. I would look at the single thread rating, there is a 12% performance bump between the me/i5 and the i7, largely has to do with the higher clock speed (my guess). Turbo isn't your guaranteed clock speed, but five years later my i5 can/will still turbo to max.

The m3 runs at a lower base clock speed, and correspondingly low top speed which is going to improve battery life, probably, by 1-2%, but you'll get more than that by going with 4GB memory vs 8GB

I recommend Intel ARK as it's the source of truth:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/95441,97461,95449

You probably won't notice the difference day to day, though. Especially coming from a 3 year old netbook with rotational hard drive.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

What's your budget?

Yeah you can get a 10 hour battery life chromebook for under $200, you can also buy a 10 hour chromebok for $450 and even $600 depending on what's important to you. I own a ~$165 chromebook that's now about a year old and it gets used all the drat time. It's a good choice for notes, spreadsheets, netflix etc yeah.

If you don't care about the speed or screen too much, you should be able to pick up a Win 8.1 or Win 10 Thinkpad T430 for $199 (picked one mostly at random, seller has 99.7% feedback - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...8gAAOSwX61ZKKcY ) and swap in a 9 cell battery for $75 and you should get 8 hours out of it. The screen won't woo any women but it's what powers probably a low double digit percentage of corporate america.

For a little more you can get an IPS screen X220 or X230 with a similar battery situation.

Depends largely on how high price you want to go and what parts you're willing to swap in.

I'm looking to spend as little as possible, so a $200 Chromebook would be more desirable to me than a $200 + $75 deal. I'm just looking for something cheap and basic that I can do schoolwork on, take notes, and maybe goof off a little bit on the internet with in the back of the room should the lecture go south. I know very little about portable computers other than that there are Chromebooks and they're supposed to be cheap and simple and then there are all sorts of Windows computers with variations on Windows 10. I don't really know why I'd want one over another and looking at prices it's rather crazy that there are now laptops for $200. I'm just sort of seeking some general guidance as to which direction I should be looking and what some safe, reliable choices might be.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!
Awesome find, but apparently already got snatched up before I was able to check the thread again. I'll just keep plugging away though, and try to catch another one! Thanks!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

puberty worked me over posted:

Yeah it might be cool to have the extra 300 CPU Mark score but am I really going to notice the difference on a daily basis? At least this way I could buy a new laptop every time intel releases a new generation of processors that in theory will inevitably benchmark higher while keeping relatively the same TDP. Thanks again goons I would have never found this without your help!

You may or may not notice the difference on a daily basis, but you will notice having to use a computer with a garbage 1366x786 TN panel, creaky plastic build and a fisher price keyboard and trackpad. 300 cpu mark bench points tells you absolutely nothing about a laptop.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Something like this would be fine in that price range.

Would this little guy be good for any newer games? My wife needs a new laptop and plays games like rimworld, banished, Northgard prison architect, etc. But I'd like for her to be able to play newer stuff. Would this thing run something like dark souls or gta5?

Seems like a sweet laptop.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 17, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

vandalism posted:

Would this little guy be food for any newer games? My wife needs a new laptop and plays games like rimworld, banished, Northgard prison architect, etc. But I'd like for her to be able to play newer stuff. Would this thing run something like dark souls or gta5?

Very poorly. Dark Souls 1, maybe. GTA5 I would be surprised if it ran at all.

You'd need to step up to a laptop with a 1050/1050ti, which will run you $750-$800.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-probook-intel-core-i5-320gb-laptops

I'll drop that link here; for the next <24 hours, anyone who wants a cheap, but old/chunky Windows laptop could do worse than those HP Probooks at ~$200. The CPU's fine, I'd suggest adding another 4 GB of RAM and an SSD, and I'd go with the 14" one since they're both the same resolution (HD) unless you need a numpad.

vandalism posted:

Would this little guy be good for any newer games? My wife needs a new laptop and plays games like rimworld, banished, Northgard prison architect, etc. But I'd like for her to be able to play newer stuff. Would this thing run something like dark souls or gta5?

Yeah, the 940MX can game well with low settings. I have a Xiaomi Mi Air 13 (and my brother has the Acer convertible version of the E15) with that GPU and it'll run Overwatch nicely, for example. An easy trick is to check Youtube for benchmark videos by searching for, for example, "940MX GTA V." There are actually a ton of videos/content for this Acer E15 line because it's popular as a budget gaming option, although the new MX150 GPUs are slowly becoming available. The E15 should run any of the games you mentioned just fine, especially the 2D ones but also the 3D games with reasonable settings.

Here's Acer's upgrade for the E15 line with the new MX150. The GPU is perhaps double the performance of the 940MX, however I don't think this is worth it at that price ($700.) First of all, this line appears to be downgraded in features, lacking the keyboard backlight and dual RAM slots (it has 4 GB soldered and one user-accessible slot) that made the E15 a great value; also, I'm not 100% sure if it has a 2.5" bay to add an HDD for game storage. Finally, and this is the most significant point, it's at an unfortunate price point, because stepping up to around $800 will get you a much more capable gaming laptop with a quad-core CPU and a 1050/Ti. This refurb for $750 is a far, far better deal than a MX150 laptop at $700. That's why stepping down to the ~$500 range for a 940MX only makes sense if you really need to save the money, since the performance AND the features on an Acer E15 are worth it, and these new MX150 laptops are stuck in the middle where they're just not good values.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
nevermind. solved it.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 25, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What are the Celeron processors in the Acer Chromebooks like? I'm looking at this one: http://www.currys.ie/Product/acer-cb3431-14-full-hd-chromebook-gold/341668/401.0.2

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

irlZaphod posted:

What are the Celeron processors in the Acer Chromebooks like? I'm looking at this one: http://www.currys.ie/Product/acer-cb3431-14-full-hd-chromebook-gold/341668/401.0.2

Fine for chromebooky type stuff, but nothing exciting. Those Apollo Lake celerons are ubiquitous in Chinese devices, some of which run Windows 10 with reasonable performance. They're die-shrunk Atoms, they just don't call them Atom anymore for whatever reason.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Someone's got a Kaby Lake Refresh laptop with a 15W i7-8550U in it (the upgrade from the i7-7500U in things like the XPS 13 and the Spectre X360) and their benchmarks are showing 50% better performance. And it's not even far behind the full 45W i5 and i7 chips in some ways :eyepop:

Also a bunch of new model SKUs have been spotted for things like the XPS 13 which might be why they were selling them cheap

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

baka kaba posted:

Someone's got a Kaby Lake Refresh laptop with a 15W i7-8550U in it (the upgrade from the i7-7500U in things like the XPS 13 and the Spectre X360) and their benchmarks are showing 50% better performance. And it's not even far behind the full 45W i5 and i7 chips in some ways :eyepop:

Also a bunch of new model SKUs have been spotted for things like the XPS 13 which might be why they were selling them cheap

Well now I'm sad I wasn't able to wait 3 or 4 more months to get a new laptop. The old 2010 laptop wasn't going to last any longer though.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

baka kaba posted:

Wow, that's actually really surprising. Seems like U processors aren't a joke anymore.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
How is Windows and Linux support for high DPI scaling these days? Thinking of getting something other than a Macbook for my next laptop but I'm reluctant to give up Retina.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Spermgod posted:

How is Windows and Linux support for high DPI scaling these days? Thinking of getting something other than a Macbook for my next laptop but I'm reluctant to give up Retina.

Windows is OK. I'm on a 1440p screen with my Lenovo T470s. Linux is a mixed bag of poo poo and vomit. It depends on what window manager your using and if your applications support scaling at all. Gnome does not support non-integer scaling so it's going to be either too big or too small (i.e. 1x, 2x, 3x) and nothing in-between without some modification and futzing around with xrandr. It's not great and one of the reasons I decided to stick with Windows (The other was that Lenovo only releases BIOS updates that for some reason only work in Windows).

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 18, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

The N3xxx "Celerons" are as low as I'd go for ChromeOS, but the xxxxU Celerons are quite respectable.

Sininu posted:

Wow, that's actually really surprising. Seems like U processors aren't a joke anymore.

They've been good for a while now (as long as you don't need 4 cores) considering the performance you get for the price and power consumption.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The bigger factor might be that SSDs are cheap and plentiful, and 4GB is the norm, rather than 2GB. And yeah, CPUs got better in the meantime, too

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I guess this is a pre order? Saw it on Amazon looking for MX150 laptops.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yo so when are we going to get a quad core GTX 1050 performance in an XPS 13 body?

This KBL-R is looking like a step in the right direction if the ULV quad cores ever materialize in ultraportables.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Well, at least another GPU generation needs to arrive for that to have a chance to happen, the 1050 is new and as efficient as anything currently existing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spermgod posted:

Depends on what you do. Stuff like webex, Java apps, older stuff usually will be tiny. Linux is a mess like the other guy said. If you're coming from Mac it'll be anywhere from slightly annoying to severely frustrating going to Windows scaling

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Yo so when are we going to get a quad core GTX 1050 performance in an XPS 13 body?

This KBL-R is looking like a step in the right direction if the ULV quad cores ever materialize in ultraportables.

There's not much point in putting a fire breathing quad core CPU and GPU if you can't vent the heat, early fanless haswell laptops (google "yoga 3") were widely criticized because even though they had great specs on paper, they couldn't vent the heat appropriately and throttled down so much they actually performed worse than the Yoga 2 doing the same tasks.

I'm sure there's also a desire to push performance users to the XPS 15 which has higher margins.

For GPU, the 10 series was just released last year, nvidia is doing cool things with the Volta arch but we're going to be using Pascal (10 series) arch in laptops for at least another year, probably two.

So three years is your answer. Unless you're ok with immediately being thermally throttled.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

I guess this is a pre order? Saw it on Amazon looking for MX150 laptops.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX

That actually looks quite nice, but only as a "gaming-capable Ultrabook" akin to the XiaoMi Air 13. In fact, the Swift is the better choice over the similar but more expensive updated Air 13 with MX150.

As a "cheap gaming laptop" however, neither of the above choices are worth the price as long as 1050 Ti laptops are available (refurbished) around the $750 mark, however.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I thought I'd like my XPS15 9560 but it's not working out. I've had it for 5 months, is ebay the best way to part with it?

I like the panel I have and dock thing though, does the new MacBook work with the dell TB3 dock?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hadlock posted:

There's not much point in putting a fire breathing quad core CPU and GPU if you can't vent the heat, early fanless haswell laptops (google "yoga 3") were widely criticized because even though they had great specs on paper, they couldn't vent the heat appropriately and throttled down so much they actually performed worse than the Yoga 2 doing the same tasks.

I'm sure there's also a desire to push performance users to the XPS 15 which has higher margins.

For GPU, the 10 series was just released last year, nvidia is doing cool things with the Volta arch but we're going to be using Pascal (10 series) arch in laptops for at least another year, probably two.

So three years is your answer. Unless you're ok with immediately being thermally throttled.

The new ones are still 15W though - probably won't help the stuff that was already using the low wattage chips (maybe letting them run more efficiently and giving a little bit of headroom).

But if you can take something that was already using a 45W chip and replace that without losing much performance, that 30W difference (I know it varies) might be enough to let you cram a decent GPU in there. Not a huge shift but maybe enough to blur some lines

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

http://www.eluktronics.com/w650kk1

I forgot I wanted to share that Eluktronics link as an interesting entry-midrange gaming laptop option. It uses desktop CPUs with a 1050 Ti, and you can configure a basic setup for about $665 (minus any discount codes you can find) with a G4560, 8 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SATA m.2 SSD. You can get it completely barebones if you'd like (and I'd recommend getting a cheap Windows 10 key from an eBay "broken motherboard" listing and doing it that way) but that setup is a bare minimum with ~market price components.

It seems like a good option for keeping the price down on a DIY gaming laptop, especially if you have some existing components (RAM, storage) to drop in, since as I've been saying at ~$1050 nothing beats the Acer Helios 300 at that price. The G4560 is a good matchup for the 1050 Ti, and for $755 16 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SATA SSD is reasonable, as are any of the SATA SSD upgrades. The continued existence of those $750 refurb Dell 7000s with the quad-core i5 and 1050 Ti make this a more difficult choice, however.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Atomizer posted:

http://www.eluktronics.com/w650kk1

I forgot I wanted to share that Eluktronics link as an interesting entry-midrange gaming laptop option. It uses desktop CPUs with a 1050 Ti, and you can configure a basic setup for about $665 (minus any discount codes you can find) with a G4560, 8 GB of RAM and a 128 GB SATA m.2 SSD. You can get it completely barebones if you'd like (and I'd recommend getting a cheap Windows 10 key from an eBay "broken motherboard" listing and doing it that way) but that setup is a bare minimum with ~market price components.

I think that 7700 is actually HQ version. There's no way laptop with desktop CPU would cost that little and it's too thin to cool it as well.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Sininu posted:

I think that 7700 is actually HQ version. There's no way laptop with desktop CPU would cost that little and it's too thin to cool it as well.

Nope, those are desktop CPUs (note the difference in sockets, the G4560 and 7700 use FCLGA1151 whereas the 7700HQ uses FCBGA1440. Also, it costs $290 in the configurator, which is the retail price for a desktop 7700.

Now I'm not saying that's a good idea to configure that system with the 7700 and I have no idea how much it'll throttle (I'm assuming that's the reason they're not offering it with an unlocked -K CPU,) but that's what they're offering. You could certainly just order it barebones if you know what you're doing and drop in something between the two CPUs they offer, but the G4560 is a nice, cheap minimum for the 1050 Ti. I definitely wouldn't add ~$300 for the 7700 though, since that drags the price too close to the Acer Helios ($1050); a similarly-configured w650 would be $990 if you add your own Win10 license or $1080 if you don't, and I'd rather have the 7700HQ with a 1060.

Some combination of barebones + parts you already have are where you can make the w650 a great deal though. There's really nothing wrong with the prices or component on the Eluktronics system, they just need to offer some CPU(s) in between the bottom-end Pentium and the i7, and ultimately it's the Helios that throws the mid-high-level gaming laptop value proposition off the rails (in a good way.)

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Atomizer posted:

Nope, those are desktop CPUs (note the difference in sockets, the G4560 and 7700 use FCLGA1151 whereas the 7700HQ uses FCBGA1440. Also, it costs $290 in the configurator, which is the retail price for a desktop 7700.

Now I'm not saying that's a good idea to configure that system with the 7700 and I have no idea how much it'll throttle (I'm assuming that's the reason they're not offering it with an unlocked -K CPU,) but that's what they're offering. You could certainly just order it barebones if you know what you're doing and drop in something between the two CPUs they offer, but the G4560 is a nice, cheap minimum for the 1050 Ti. I definitely wouldn't add ~$300 for the 7700 though, since that drags the price too close to the Acer Helios ($1050); a similarly-configured w650 would be $990 if you add your own Win10 license or $1080 if you don't, and I'd rather have the 7700HQ with a 1060.

Some combination of barebones + parts you already have are where you can make the w650 a great deal though. There's really nothing wrong with the prices or component on the Eluktronics system, they just need to offer some CPU(s) in between the bottom-end Pentium and the i7, and ultimately it's the Helios that throws the mid-high-level gaming laptop value proposition off the rails (in a good way.)

Ahhh. Never thought anyone would put a desktop CPU in such chassis and all the laptops with desktop CPU's I've ever seen have been 2000 dollar+ machines.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, to be honest I'm not 100% sure why they're selling a laptop with desktop CPUs when laptop CPUs are very competitive at this point, but then again we're at the point where we have desktop GPUs (Pascal) in laptops and ultimately all of the components are powerful and power-efficient. I think we'd have desktop RAM in laptops if the form factor made sense.

On the other hand, Eluktronics is not an ODM and I think that model is a Clevo, and the cheapest thing for both parties is probably to build & sell an easily buildable/upgradeable system; I guess giving it a desktop chip socket most easily facilitates that goal. It certainly makes sense with the existence of the ~$60 i3-obsoleting* G4560, and it's just coincidental that the socket also fits every other desktop CPU in that line up to the i7s.

*At least in the sense that it is effectively an i3 but going up that line yields a progressively worse price/performance ratio, especially when you get to the lol-7350k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sininu posted:

Ahhh. Never thought anyone would put a desktop CPU in such chassis and all the laptops with desktop CPU's I've ever seen have been 2000 dollar+ machines.

Indeed, that's pretty cool, if you spec out their laptop with no OS and just 1 stick of 16GB DDR4 (just swap in your hard drive from your last machine) it comes out to $899 which is... Not a terrible deal for a 16GB desktop i7 and 1050ti.

I'd complain about screen quality or build quality, or the fact that 15" in this era is massive, but that's a not terrible desktop replacement for $900. Just plug a 27" 4K display in that thing and you have a pretty acceptable mid range gaming PC.