Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't see any reason to think this is true, considering Dishonored 2's numbers.

The marketing for Prey was terrible / nonexistent though. One thing to consider is if this is an intentional move on the part of the companies - AAA marketing budgets got to be pretty insane, and one obvious cutback in game development costs is the marketing budget.

How did Dishonored 2 sell on consoles? The PC version was a mess on release (and the optimization is still awful).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't see any reason to think this is true, considering Dishonored 2's numbers.

The marketing for Prey was terrible / nonexistent though. One thing to consider is if this is an intentional move on the part of the companies - AAA marketing budgets got to be pretty insane, and one obvious cutback in game development costs is the marketing budget.

I have intense nostalgia goggles for System Shock 2 and liked playing SS1 this year so Of Course its sequel is going to be popular to other gamers, right? Right? Guys? Wait why are you all playing whatever the heck pubg is why don't you want to play a cool single player game -

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 20, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

Edit: I also picked up this new release today Super Blood Hockey : http://store.steampowered.com/app/532190/Super_Blood_Hockey/

It's a fun little budget hockey game. Really reminds me of Ice Hockey for the NES.
There's not a lot of depth to it, but then again it's pretty cheap, but tons of fun. Just hope they add online multiplayer.

I think I prefer Old Time Hockey http://store.steampowered.com/app/543010/Old_Time_Hockey/, as it has a skill stick like the EA NHL games, and a career mode.

Someone posted about this over in the NHL thread asking how it is, and I remembered your post. This game is pretty fun! I was reading the dev's comments in the steam discussion forum and he seems to have a pretty good handle on what he wants to make, which does have a level of depth. Have you tried the harder AI modes?

I thought Old Time Hockey was atrocious, and refunded it. Man I want to play a good realistic hockey game on the PC. gently caress EA and their stupid monopoly on the license. (and the small market for hockey games on PC). :(

Andrast posted:

How did Dishonored 2 sell on consoles? The PC version was a mess on release (and the optimization is still awful).
Sales numbers are ???? But I think we can conclusively say the entire launch sales were worse than Dishonored. It wasn't just the PC version that sold poorly.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

exquisite tea posted:

There are many competing factors behind every market trend but "gamers suddenly became savvy consumers" should always be ruled out.

And, anecdotally, I've bought more games full price on release this year than I have before.

Just to be clear, I don't think the SP PC game is dying either, but pointing at Horizon ZD and BOTW only is not a strong argument. The whole of your argument, though, is.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Triple a production had been on the verge of a bubble pop for years now but its sort of matched the market between some contraction on yearly offerings and consoles becoming a household fixture.

PC gaming was saved and all but it's still the weird niche option and it has its own brand new bubble to burst with the amount of indie games showing up.

Someone says single player games are dead every year even and especially when there are plenty coming out.

Suits have the job of driving year on year improvement in revenue, which involves trying to reinvent the monetization with every release. This isn't indicative of any thing in particular about the state of the market and will be inseparable from video games as long as there are public owned publishers and developers.

Whelp that's my hot take going to go spend another Sunday playing more single player games than I've seen in one place before.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you have to remember that steamspy is half-assed and should not be used as anything but order of magnitude of sales in a worst case scenario

it functions by loading everyone's steam profiles repeatedly and seeing what they own. this gets them a stat of how many people with public profiles have bought a game title within 2 weeks or so (and is why you never use its stats for anything shorter than that timeframe - its elastic). the ratio of public:private profiles is used to guess the total figure but its a flawed premise as it assumes everyone who plays every title has an equal public/private split regardless of game genre or demographic served.

SteamSpy: Technically Not VGChartz, I Guess™

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean, I could grant you the comparison issue for Dishonored 2 except that the game has already gone on sale at $20, so it definitely is underselling. But the other games, c'mon, you're telling me I can't compare Bulletstorm's flacid remaster reception to the original game? The original game was already a flop. I don't think Bulletstorm Remaster is going to be a million seller guys. I also don't think The Surge can be interpreted any way other than a disaster.

If a game takes 4 years or whatever to reach a million+ sales, that's not going to matter to the publisher because the developer will have long since been shuttered by then. Prey's lead guy already left Arkane, so I have a feeling there will not be a Prey 2. Even if Deus Ex Mankind Divided gets a million more sales in its lifetime, there ain't gonna be a continuation. It's too late for that game. We're seeing this right now with Mass Effect: Andromeda.

The launch window is basically the make or break for these studios. Which I say not to guilt people who wait for sales, but just to say that some of these numbers go beyond a launch window and are still bad. And it does make me a little sad because there are some real good games in that list

I think The Surge must have sold better on consoles actually since they've announced follow-up stuff

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'd argue that inflation on game prices and general spending power plays a part as well.
Games have gone from £35 to £45 in the last 7-8 years while my salary's gone up by 1% per year in that time.
On top of needing to upgrade my PC at some point soon, I simply can't afford to buy many new games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What the gently caress was with the marketing for Prey anyway? You'd think after scrapping Prey 2's premise of U.S Marshall turned Blade runner after all these years and doing everything from scratch, they would try to sell the game. But no, I heard Prey was coming out like two days before launch.

It was DOOM all over again, except I have not played Prey yet. Waiting for it to be cheaper.

I tried the Surge Demo. I am a huge Dark souls fan, and I gave Lords of the fallen a chance...Surge just feels like a really incomplete Lords of the fallen. Not being able to switch to other enemies (instead targetting body parts with joystick swipes) effectively makes the stupid Dark Souls 2 style ambushes a real pain in the rear end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Prey had a pretty bungled demo on PS4 and no demo at all on PC, which certainly didn't help its prospects.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fargin Icehole posted:

What the gently caress was with the marketing for Prey anyway? You'd think after scrapping Prey 2's premise of U.S Marshall turned Blade runner after all these years and doing everything from scratch, they would try to sell the game. But no, I heard Prey was coming out like two days before launch.

It was DOOM all over again, except I have not played Prey yet. Waiting for it to be cheaper.

I tried the Surge Demo. I am a huge Dark souls fan, and I gave Lords of the fallen a chance...Surge just feels like a really incomplete Lords of the fallen. Not being able to switch to other enemies (instead targetting body parts with joystick swipes) effectively makes the stupid Dark Souls 2 style ambushes a real pain in the rear end.

i think it's because bethesda is a lovely publisher

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Not to mention what little they did say about it presented Nu Prey as a pure horror game when it wasn't entirely that. It was an alternate reality shock game. Bethesda thinks it is so big that they can just play by their own unique rules and it'll never hurt than and we finally see that perceived invincibility backfire hard on a game that didn't deserve this cascade of bad publisher decisions.

Also Tale of Wuxia: Pre-Sequel is a strange game as its otherwise an improvement on the previously released one, however, I miss playing as my own create a character. Like you can sort of do that with whatever returning part of the cast you can play as, molding them with weapons, move sets and level ups to their attributes; but it feels a little empty without your own moron bouncing off these actual characters. It's a strange feeling and I can't really call it a detriment as that Kung-Fu Princess Maker element is still here, just not with one aspect.

Oh and, Jesus Christ Gearbox, your big new game was just becoming the publisher for a big-ish kickstarter game We Happy Few? No wonder its jumped up to over $50 for something that is still a bit of a gamble trying to marry procedurally generated random exploration and survival with Orwellian story events and plot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Pretty much every AAA singleplayer game I've played in the past year has been pretty to look at, but completely uninspired in gameplay and a predictable hollywood-esque storyline.

Not necessarily bad games, but the second I think "I've played this before", it falls deep into the backlog.

I wish I was a console gamer in 2016-2017. Breath of The Wild looks pretty sick and so does Horizon.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Triple A gaming really only means Triple A graphics. You'd think that with so much cash on hand, they'd invest in Triple A mechanical depth.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Blattdorf posted:

Triple A gaming really only means Triple A graphics. You'd think that with so much cash on hand, they'd invest in Triple A mechanical depth.

:laffo: Why would they ever do that? They're trying to drag the state of PC and console gaming DOWN to mobile's level. They want to make everything the money-printing mindless loops (now with gacha and time domination/submission!) in everyone's hand - and probably still get $60 + DLC a pop because gamers are not so great at managing their interactions with consumer capitalism - and you're asking them to do exactly the opposite.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blattdorf posted:

Mechanical depth doesn't translate to sales

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Blattdorf posted:

considering everyone here seems to love prey regardless i don't know why they'd ever bother with adding actual mechanical depth

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I used to spend around $60/mo on Steam and then I got a Switch, played Zelda for 3 months and have enough games for the rest of the year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I used to spend 12$ on the humble monthly for my new games that I didn't have time to play but I cancelled my sub.

And uh... this month I spent like 80$ on games. That I don't really have time to play.

Pyre is really cool though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
because elder scrolls and fallout can just coast along by word of mouth if they need to bethesda forgot you have to actually tell people about your video games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bethesda doesn't seem to have a problem marketing their own IPs but they clearly don't put a lot of stock into their published games. I mean it's ridiculous that freaking DOOM of all things was the sleeper hit of 2016.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

exquisite tea posted:

Bethesda doesn't seem to have a problem marketing their own IPs but they clearly don't put a lot of stock into their published games. I mean it's ridiculous that freaking DOOM of all things was the sleeper hit of 2016.

They advertised its weak multiplayer more than actually show that it had single player, let alone a really kickass SP campaign. People were wary of it, especially when they let IGN morons play it badly.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Bethesda/Zenimax owns both Arkane Studios and id though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

See if those companies were smart they'd have made a multiplayer survival shooty game with lootbox keys.
Well Shadow of War is doing loot crates!

I really hope Far Cry 5 doesn't do that poo poo. this is also a reminder that Far Cry 5 exists because I don't think Ubisoft has done anything to promote any of their games since E3??

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jordan7hm posted:

Someone posted about this over in the NHL thread asking how it is, and I remembered your post. This game is pretty fun! I was reading the dev's comments in the steam discussion forum and he seems to have a pretty good handle on what he wants to make, which does have a level of depth. Have you tried the harder AI modes?

I lost my first 3 games on easy, then after I finally started getting the hang of it, bumped it up to medium, and noticed a slight difference in difficulty, but it was evident.
Haven't tried hard yet, but one of the challenge modes is you have 4 players vs the AI's 8. That's a tough game to win, but fun when you crank up the blood to full.
I have like 2 hours in the game, and almost have all the achievements that are available. The only ones remaining are to win the 3 game tournament with the other countries.
If he's adding more content, that'd be great, but what's there is pretty darn fun.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Andrast posted:

Mechanical depth doesn't translate to sales

It often has quite the opposite effect, in fact. The higher the skill floor, the more your potential market begins to shrink. Quite rapidly too, since the vast majority of people just are not very good at games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really hope Far Cry 5 doesn't do that poo poo. this is also a reminder that Far Cry 5 exists because I don't think Ubisoft has done anything to promote any of their games since E3??

To be fair FC5 isn't releasing until 2018

Obligatum VII posted:

It often has quite the opposite effect, in fact. The higher the skill floor, the more your potential market begins to shrink. Quite rapidly too, since the vast majority of people just are not very good at games.

Well, having mechanical depth doesn't necessarily mean that your game is difficult to play on a lower level. It's just seen as wasted effort since a vast majority of the AAA market doesn't really care.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 20, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

Bethesda/Zenimax owns both Arkane Studios and id though

yeah but what he's saying is they weren't developed by bethesda and both were marketed like poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

I wish there was a way to translate stuff like "ability to grasp major themes and symbolism" into a gamerscore because I would be Grandmaster Galaxy Brain on the ladder for sure.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's so weird that people are talking about The Death Of SP and I'm here thinking this year has been insane in terms of both AAA and indie releases and I've spent waaaay too much money on the vidjas.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Andrast posted:

Well, having mechanical depth doesn't necessarily mean that your game is difficult to play on a lower level. It's just seen as wasted effort since a vast majority of the AAA market doesn't really care.

You can certainly have a curve and good games will do that, but it still raises the skill floor to have more complicated mechanics. I don't think it's a 1-to-1 correlation though, more like there are certain tiers of complexity at which point the minimum amount of capability to play jumps up a bit, regardless of the presence or absence of a good difficulty curve.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

You can certainly have a curve and good games will do that, but it still raises the skill floor to have more complicated mechanics. I don't think it's a 1-to-1 correlation though, more like there are certain tiers of complexity at which point the minimum amount of capability to play jumps up a bit, regardless of the presence or absence of a good difficulty curve.

Well made difficulty settings can solve this problem. Bayonetta has a ton of depth but I don't think anyone is going to have trouble with the easiest setting in that game, where the game almost plays itself.

But again, doing good difficulty settings is probably a ton of effort.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Vendetta crates and Conquest crates and Spoils of War crates. The sort of stuff that money can't buy or make easier.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Obligatum VII posted:

There's something I've dubbed the Witch's House test. Anyone curious about it, you should download the game and just play around for a few minutes. Then read the spoiler:

Did you know out of the 12 people I've shown the game to (10-16 year olds), only 2 people were able to figure out that on the first screen there was a path leading upwards?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Andrast posted:

Well made difficulty settings can solve this problem. Bayonetta has a ton of depth but I don't think anyone is going to have trouble with the easiest setting in that game, where the game almost plays itself.

But again, doing good difficulty settings is probably a ton of effort.

Even though I like being a dumb tryhard by playing games on high difficulties for ~nerd cred~, I'm really happy to see a trend towards "Storyline Mode" difficulty settings. A buddy of mine was interested in playing The Witcher 3 after seeing me play for a while, but has 0 competency at gaming. He didn't do so well on the default difficulty, so we switched it to the lowest, and from there he was able to experience the joys of that game without having to worry about combat so much. Videogames are cool and good, and I think its cool when you can get people who normally play candy crush into playing something a bit more involved, even if they don't go neck-deep into stats and mechanics.

I think the problem with dumb AAA games is not the difficulty, but the absolutely mortal fear of risk. I think its only gotten worse now that AAA games have sky-high production values. I cant blame devs and publishers for wanting to play on the safe side when dropping huge amounts of resources into a game, but I also cant blame gamers for reflexively ignoring 2017 sci-fi milshooter action game with cyan/orange cover art.

e: also I dropped like 10 hours into BF4 this weekend so maybe take my opinions with a grain of salt.

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 20, 2017

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Blattdorf posted:

...out of the 12 people I've shown the game to (10-16 year olds)

this being your peer group gives a lot of context for your toxes and stuff. i read SA when I was young so it shouldn't surprise me there are younger people on the forums, but it does.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Kly posted:

this being your peer group gives a lot of context for your toxes and stuff. i read SA when I was young so it shouldn't surprise me there are younger people on the forums, but it does.

Why do you assume it's my peer group?

It's just something I've noticed among my students as I was recommending some games to help with language learning.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

buglord posted:

Pretty much every AAA singleplayer game I've played in the past year has been pretty to look at, but completely uninspired in gameplay and a predictable hollywood-esque storyline.

Not necessarily bad games, but the second I think "I've played this before", it falls deep into the backlog.

I wish I was a console gamer in 2016-2017. Breath of The Wild looks pretty sick and so does Horizon.

I don't know if Hellblade qualifies as AAA but it may be worth a look.

Though this game uses the word "darkness" to a degree that would make Kingdom Hearts feel jealousy pangs.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Have you tried Trails in the Sky or Trails of Cold Steel?

I did play a bit of Trails in the Sky, actually. The characters were surprisingly good! I fell off of it early on, in part because I had other stuff I was playing and also because the combat/presentation wasn't grabbing me (I think it was a PSP port), but I'll have to go back and give that one a look.

How's Cold Steel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Appoda posted:

How's Cold Steel?

The combat and presentation should definitely be a big improvement over Trails in the Sky.

Really Pants posted:

Trails of Cold Steel is basically Persona 4 and Xenogears mashed together. The writing isn't quite up to Sky's standard; it's still got plenty of its moments but they lean pretty hard on dumb cliches too. Combat and traveling should all feel a lot faster than in Sky. The first CS follows the same general pattern as the first TitS where it's mostly establishing characters & setting, and poo poo doesn't really start popping off until late in the game and also it ends on a horrible horrible cliffhanger so fair warning if that was a deal-breaker.

All three TitS games just got a bunch of updates with stuff that was added to the Cold Steel PC port like higher resolutions and turbo mode, so if you have them already now's a great time to give them another try.