Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pissdude posted:

Please never use professional games journalists as any kind of trustworthy yardstick to measure fighting game value against. If you have personal questions about specifics of the game, wait for actual fighting gamers to play the game and then ask those questions. Even if people trash the game personally, you'll get much more honest and realistic answers about stuff like load times etc

yes i know

thats why im waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

CubsWoo posted:

I'm actually kind of... ok with the reflect system? I understand the reasons people are against it, but considering that it isn't a frame-perfect input and that it'll probably only take a marginal amount of skill to input the pushblock/reflect, it will end up as a way for new players to learn how to fight back against plasma spam and make it so higher level play isn't heavily populated by Morrigan-style teams like Ultimate was in the last few years. I think of it in the same vein as how SFV removed chipouts from non-super damage.

Fwiw, I don't like what SF5 did either

And it's silly to say that the reflect is going to help new players learn to deal with it. It won't. It's giving you an extremely convenient and free tool to completely bypass the situation entirely. But if you jumped into any other fighting game with strong-but-not-busted zoning, you'd struggle there too because you probably never really learned the real solution.

Morrigan stuff in UMVC3 was too good, we all know that, but the solution to that shouldn't be an entire game change that might make zoning entirely trivial. The solution is to reign it in enough so that it isn't quite as oppressive but still strong.

You can still make a good fighting game without strong zoning or where zoning tools end up being used differently (3rd strike), but for team based games like these versus games it feels lame since they've had really cool and fun characters in those roles. I'm really hoping that the reflect pushblock stuff doesn't kill fun zoning.

Dias posted:

Other than that, yeah, you had some decent teams that focused on zoning, but they were still not very good and sometimes got outzoned by dudes just running Mags/Doom anyway.

There are a bunch of other good zoning players. Priest making good work with Modok, players with Dormammu, the better Doctor Strange players, and Zero himself could zone on his own (but that's mostly just cause Zero does what he wants). All of these and more have been shown to play at the top level, and I think it's completely wrong to ignore the growth of these players/characters that show MVC3 isn't just the top tiers. Especially to say that zoning was rear end when you have these players beating the best Mag/Doom players like you said. If we have Evo Champions losing to Phoenix Wright/Captain America players, then maybe we should reconsider that umvc3 has actual good poo poo beyond the top 5 characters.

Btw, Terry Bogard also did mad work with Morrigan and did not play Morridoom. Morrigan is still kinda ridiculous even w/o missiles imo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

pissdude posted:

Please never use professional games journalists as any kind of trustworthy yardstick to measure fighting game value against. If you have personal questions about specifics of the game, wait for actual fighting gamers to play the game and then ask those questions. Even if people trash the game personally, you'll get much more honest and realistic answers about stuff like load times etc

he said "real people"

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
This game has less new content than sfxt lol.

Push block reflect won't even be noticed by newbies, they don't even know why or how to push block. Better players will just punish them for using reflectable fireballs or play beam chars than can't be reflected. Oh and the mechanic isn't even a universal reflect so only good players will know what can and is worth reflecting.

Projectile reflect is an anti-Morrigan/zoning system mechanic hot from the epic minds at capcommunity forums to address a perceived issue with mvc3. Ammo counters showing up on gun chars is another version of this - no more spamming cheap fireballs guys!!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ixiggle posted:

This game has less new content than sfxt lol.

Push block reflect won't even be noticed by newbies, they don't even know why or how to push block. Better players will just punish them for using reflectable fireballs or play beam chars than can't be reflected. Oh and the mechanic isn't even a universal reflect so only good players will know what can and is worth reflecting.

Projectile reflect is an anti-Morrigan/zoning system mechanic hot from the epic minds at capcommunity forums to address a perceived issue with mvc3. Ammo counters showing up on gun chars is another version of this - no more spamming cheap fireballs guys!!

this game benefits by not having pandora mode at the very least

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm sure the training mode will be fully featured and perfectly explain how the projectile reflepfffhfhahahahaha

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the best thing about mvci is that you don't have to buy it, you don't have to play it, you can, and should, just ignore the bad game

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

zoning is probably the only effective playstyle in this game but keepaway doesnt exist

you take no chip dmg on the ground supposedly outside of reflecting projectiles so yeah

no chip death as well besides from supers apparently?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fereydun posted:

zoning is probably the only effective playstyle in this game but keepaway doesnt exist

you take no chip dmg on the ground supposedly outside of reflecting projectiles so yeah

good now I'll be able to triumph over all those CHEAP loving OP SPAMMERS online

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ventana posted:

There are a bunch of other good zoning players. Priest making good work with Modok, players with Dormammu, the better Doctor Strange players, and Zero himself could zone on his own (but that's mostly just cause Zero does what he wants). All of these and more have been shown to play at the top level, and I think it's completely wrong to ignore the growth of these players/characters that show MVC3 isn't just the top tiers. Especially to say that zoning was rear end when you have these players beating the best Mag/Doom players like you said. If we have Evo Champions losing to Phoenix Wright/Captain America players, then maybe we should reconsider that umvc3 has actual good poo poo beyond the top 5 characters.

Btw, Terry Bogard also did mad work with Morrigan and did not play Morridoom. Morrigan is still kinda ridiculous even w/o missiles imo.

I mean...that doesn't make zoning kinda not good when even characters with keepaway potential tend to use that as their secondary option. Bad doesn't mean not viable, it means bad, lots of people play bad characters and beat top tier ones. I'll give you that it's not THAT bad, but projectile keepaway was definitely not something that defined high-level Marvel 3 outside of Morrigan, and even Morrigan only got REAL opressive with Doom by her side. In the end we agree that reflect pushblock is dumb and doesn't really solve anything (mostly because there was nothing to be solved there), which was my point.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Fereydun posted:

Okay didn't hear that before, rip

Not surprised about the Chip death bit, though I am still sad to hear it.

Dias posted:

I'll give you that it's not THAT bad, but projectile keepaway was definitely not something that defined high-level Marvel 3 outside of Morrigan, and even Morrigan only got REAL opressive with Doom by her side. In the end we agree that reflect pushblock is dumb and doesn't really solve anything (mostly because there was nothing to be solved there), which was my point.

Oh yeah, I agree'd with your main points and that Morrigan teams weren't the big problem in umvc3. I'd still say zoning is good & works there but yeah I'm not saying it's the strongest option either, just a decently viable one.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

spit on my clit posted:

this game benefits by not having pandora mode at the very least

pandora mode is the least offensive stupid comeback mechanic ever made, unless you use it to extend a combo it's basically always going to cost you the match if you do it.

meanwhile this game has infinity storm that you can do several times in one round , which is like a horrible fusion of vanillia SF4 ultras, x-factor and danger time

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I was trying to figure out why gamora was chosen instead of starlord and that's because that would bring the games female cast to the grand total of three in a roster with thirty characters.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 18, 2017

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

all I can imagine is ESPN/Disney telling capcom to tone down there female characters outfits for national TV and capcom deciding that it's better to make a overall male line up to avoid those issues.

I personally would have liked starlord instead.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

zooted heh posted:

all I can imagine is ESPN/Disney telling capcom to tone down there female characters outfits for national TV and capcom deciding that it's better to make a overall male line up to avoid those issues.

I personally would have liked starlord instead.

amazed they didnt just give Morrigan her Sexy Librarian Alt-costume and call it a day. i imagine they will when it comes to that

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
you have to be pretty broke brained to be reading and/or posting on shoryuken forums in tyool 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

General Morden posted:

you have to be pretty broke brained to be reading and/or posting on shoryuken forums in tyool 2017

but its where the REAL fighting gamers are!:qq:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
try getting with the times and reading + posting on /r/kappa my dude

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
lol

https://twitter.com/maximilian_/status/898990724946944000

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Max beyond desperate to like this piece of poo poo

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

hey they're changing things for the better
they added chip back into the game hooraaay

on the other hand
also they buffed bursts to make them free escapes whoops

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wait this game has bursts?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

fadam posted:

Wait this game has bursts?

yes and tied to super meter like tvc

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

someone make goatse and send it to him

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Zand posted:

yes and tied to super meter like tvc

Uh oh.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

not even mods will save you

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What is the burst mechanic called and how does it work?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
While being hit, you can tag in your second character for 2 meters (combo can continue).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

someone make goatse and send it to him

make a character select mod where its goatse and all the portraits are spiraling into the rear end in a top hat

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fellblade posted:

While being hit, you can tag in your second character for 2 meters (combo can continue).

So you can try and use the second character to stop the combo? That's kind of neat I guess. Does the damage on the non-active character increase or whatever like in previous games or no?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

fadam posted:

So you can try and use the second character to stop the combo? That's kind of neat I guess. Does the damage on the non-active character increase or whatever like in previous games or no?

I guess that's the idea, damage doesn't change.

I think it's unlikely that a combo is going to continue long with another character on screen as all the moves/inputs are relative to the 'active' character, even if you don't try and get a hit on them.

Your opponent can also tag (for free) at the same time to stop you stopping the combo, though that leaves their initial character vulnerable for a long rear end time. You can get happy birthday'd here quite easily it seems.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DLC Inc posted:

From checking it out. While he likes some things. The weak roster is really souring him on the whole thing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NecroMonster posted:

the best thing about mvci is that you don't have to buy it, you don't have to play it, you can, and should, just ignore the bad game

Agreed. When does the DBZ 3v3 game come out?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The DBZ game looks cool, but as someone who has never seen the show or anything, blowing character slots on Blue Hair Goku seems way more egregious than what Marvel's doing with their cast.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

fadam posted:

The DBZ game looks cool, but as someone who has never seen the show or anything, blowing character slots on Blue Hair Goku seems way more egregious than what Marvel's doing with their cast.

why just assume he will be a clone character tho? even robo-ky isnt a clone character or ky in gg, and I can't think of an arc game with clone characters. even in the old games the EX characters are usually way way different than their normal counterparts

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fair enough, I guess we'll see.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

why just assume he will be a clone character tho? even robo-ky isnt a clone character or ky in gg, and I can't think of an arc game with clone characters. even in the old games the EX characters are usually way way different than their normal counterparts

ex characters played really differently and rarely had any new animations (or they basically got all the old animations that had been scrapped from previous games for fun). it was super impressive how much gameplay variance they got out of no new sprites.

i trust arc to make new chars with old models better than any other company. plus, idiots want blue goku so :/ gotta sell those copies.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

as an idiot who wants blue goku i thank you all for being understanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I remember hearing if you had a tekken tag team of a mishima and a devil mishima instead of swapping out with the normal animation they just transform. It would be cool if the Gokus worked like that.

• Locked thread