Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Junk posted:

I just remembered that stupid episode where Bart has to go back to 3rd grade and Lisa gets skipped ahead to 3rd grade, and they wind up on a field trip to the governor's office and bart changed the design for their state flag to be about farting and the governor started wailing out loud, but I geuss they didn't record enough of Tress MacNeille doing the scream beacuse they repeated the same scream clip quite noticeably a few times in a row and it was super obvious and hokey.

They did it on purpose, like when Skinner says "FIRST PRIZE!" with the exact same cadence as in Bart's dream, and here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvvE3vdOo9A

And you're wrong it's the only funny part of that entire episode :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
what was the one where homer was playing five finger fillet wrong and at some other point in the episode he licks an ice sculpture and a big chunk of his tongue comes off? I remember thinking that the simpsons had gotten pretty terrible when that one aired and that was also around the point I stopped even watching reruns.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I don't even know what season or episode this was, but I gave up on the show after some bullshit episode where Bart gets chased by an angry dog and then makes friends with a cowboy who ends up being a drunk loser or something. Not a single laugh, and it felt so painfully phoned in and sad. This was at least 10+ years ago.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

WampaLord posted:

Even that one has one of my favorite Homer line deliveries ever, when they get trapped in the giant man eating flower and Homer just pushes it open and Lisa asks him how he did it, and he just replies "It's a flower" in the most condescending way.

It also had "He is our leader. He seized power in a bloodless coup- all smothering."

Even when the later seasons started going down for overall stories they had some memorable lines. By the looks of the op videos I doubt they can even do that now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

They did it on purpose, like when Skinner says "FIRST PRIZE!" with the exact same cadence as in Bart's dream, and here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvvE3vdOo9A

And you're wrong it's the only funny part of that entire episode :colbert:
the simpsons has always cheaped out on stuff. The Boy Who Knew Too Much had two seconds of animation ripped directly from Kamp Krusty the season before. not to mention that all of season 1 was animated by klasky csupo

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I hate when The Simpsons is on and hurrah, it's a non-HD, non-widescreen one! But then it turns out to be one of the early 2000s episodes and Kid Rock is a guest star and Homer is a complete psychopath.

As dumb as the post season 20 episodes are, at least it's amusing to watch how dumb they can go when they scrabble round for ideas. I'd watch them any day over season 12 or so when they're desperately trying to do classic Simpsons humour and failing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Last Chance posted:

I'm watching some random season 12 episodes because I hate myself and they're bad. bad bad bad... A lot of them suffer from the tertiary characters just hanging out with The Simpsons for good drat reason at all. The whole town is hanging out at a free YMCA weekend-thing, Homer breaks his leg, and then the whole town is having fun outside of his window. It's really weird.

is that when he breaks his leg playing bball? the willie and carl bits were good.

Last Chance posted:

I just watched Season 12, Episode 17: Simpsons Safari

Yeesh. loving yeesh. This is the one where they go to Africa. Holy hell it's rancid.

is that the one where the jane goodall stand-in is using chimps to mine diamonds? the bit where homer is on the bed throwing diamonds up going "look marge i'm a scientist!" was funny.

also "i can shoot a lion in the face!"

it's not until the teens where you get episodes that just have nothing in them that's why i stopped watching then.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 20, 2017

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The africa episode is very unsimpsons like, but it's pretty good for what it is.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

is that the one where the jane goodall stand-in is using chimps to mine diamonds? the bit where homer is on the bed throwing diamonds up going "look marge i'm a scientist!" was funny.

also "i can shoot a lion in the face!"

it's not until the teens where you get episodes that just have nothing in them that's why i stopped watching then.

Somebody light this monkey.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember one of the episodes during the declining era was heavily advertised as "The Simpsons go to Canada!" and all the Canadians online were super excited about it. When the episode came out only like the last 5 minutes take place in Toronto and overall it barely was relevant to the plot at all. Lots people seemed upset about that.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

bucksmash posted:

I don't even know what season or episode this was, but I gave up on the show after some bullshit episode where Bart gets chased by an angry dog and then makes friends with a cowboy who ends up being a drunk loser or something. Not a single laugh, and it felt so painfully phoned in and sad. This was at least 10+ years ago.

Yeah the Africa one at least had some decent chuckle/guffaw-worthy lines as already said before, this one however was a real stinker

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Zeniel posted:

The africa episode is very unsimpsons like, but it's pretty good for what it is.

I will die defending Simpsons Safari. Admittedly, the Jane Goodall part is pretty sketchy, but it's still one of the best "Simpsons go to (place)" episodes. One of my favorite Simpsons moments is when they keep having to re-announce the name of the country they're visiting (which ends up being "Pepsi Presents New Zanzibar) on the plane.

The thing people forget is that seasons 8-12 are at least 50%+ good episodes. Are they as good as the classics of the golden age? No, but they're as good as some of the middling episodes. I'd take Simpsons Safari or Skinner's Sense of Snow over Fear of Flying or The Springfield Connection, for example.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JfishPirate posted:

I will die defending Simpsons Safari. Admittedly, the Jane Goodall part is pretty sketchy, but it's still one of the best "Simpsons go to (place)" episodes. One of my favorite Simpsons moments is when they keep having to re-announce the name of the country they're visiting (which ends up being "Pepsi Presents New Zanzibar) on the plane.

The thing people forget is that seasons 8-12 are at least 50%+ good episodes. Are they as good as the classics of the golden age? No, but they're as good as some of the middling episodes. I'd take Simpsons Safari or Skinner's Sense of Snow over Fear of Flying or The Springfield Connection, for example.

That's convenient, I'm totally willing to end you over your convictions.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Last Chance posted:

I just watched Season 12, Episode 17: Simpsons Safari

Yeesh. loving yeesh. This is the one where they go to Africa. Holy hell it's rancid.

this is one of those episodes that i remember being funny, but i haven't seen since it aired (see also: saddlesore galactica)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I won't belittle someone for liking something, but I urge you all to just take a peek at Simspons Safari. Watch it yourself. Drink it all in. Just do it. Then get back to me.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

JfishPirate posted:

This is the worst possible opinion and I'm mad just thinking about it

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Simspons Safari is a great one-off you joyless fuckers. It's just not as good as the hit tv show, The Simpsons.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That's convenient, I'm totally willing to end you over your convictions.

Put the katana down beavis. It should not be controversial to talk poo poo on Fear of Flying. As for the dig on Springfield Connection, do what you will.

edit: Wait I forgot about the lesbian bar and the character who runs into the pilot's bar and drags Homer out. But that's all.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Cobweb Heart posted:

Simspons Safari is a great one-off you joyless fuckers. It's just not as good as the hit tv show, The Simpsons.
No. It's the opposite. Simpsons Safari is a terrible negative one-off you exuberant virgins.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Yes, call us virgins because we disagree with your Simpsons episode ranking.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Simpsons Safari had some funny bits; the real trash in season twelve is stuff like Tennis the Menace, Insane Clown Poppy but especially Simpsons Tall Tales. Nobody wants to see stupid short feature episodes outside of Treehouse of Horror and really by XI we were already only putting up with that because it was a tradition.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Original_Z posted:

I remember one of the episodes during the declining era was heavily advertised as "The Simpsons go to Canada!" and all the Canadians online were super excited about it. When the episode came out only like the last 5 minutes take place in Toronto and overall it barely was relevant to the plot at all. Lots people seemed upset about that.

They did this A LOT later on, and I always found it kinda...dumb? Like, the episode that introduces Cecil (Sideshow Bob's brother) isn't a bad one by any means, but I remember being confused when they played a million "Springfield is FLOODING?!" promos leading up to it, and that is literally the last ten seconds of the episode.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

NorgLyle posted:

Simpsons Safari had some funny bits; the real trash in season twelve is stuff like Tennis the Menace, Insane Clown Poppy but especially Simpsons Tall Tales. Nobody wants to see stupid short feature episodes outside of Treehouse of Horror and really by XI we were already only putting up with that because it was a tradition.

I liked treehouse of horror before the regular episodes started getting just as ridiculous

I feel like it used to be the writers' one chance a year to do silly fun stuff with the cast and setting, and not worry about canon or whatever, and now, well

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Code Jockey posted:

I liked treehouse of horror before the regular episodes started getting just as ridiculous

I feel like it used to be the writers' one chance a year to do silly fun stuff with the cast and setting, and not worry about canon or whatever, and now, well
It's funny listening to the early season commentary and hearing the producers and writers talk about how they sort of dreaded the Halloween shows because they were so much extra work; trying to come up with three good plots that could be done in ten minutes and then all the extraneous stuff like the tombstone jokes and the bumpers and the spooky names.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Simpsons Halloween 2017 will be Bartman V Homerman parody, the Suicide Squad parody (Suspended Squad) about a group of bad kids in the school who are forced by Skinner (who is forced by his mom) to send them out to do things worse than the things that got them suspended and the Astounding Spider-Pig.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

Simpsons Halloween 2017 will be Bartman V Homerman parody, the Suicide Squad parody (Suspended Squad) about a group of bad kids in the school who are forced by Skinner (who is forced by his mom) to send them out to do things worse than the things that got them suspended and the Astounding Spider-Pig.

stop it! stop it! he's already dead

does anybody else just start laughing when they think of random simpsons lines or episodes?

if i think about homer as he yells "oh no you DON'T, that trampoline is MINE!" as he swipes the car i lose it.

or "that's not america! that's not even mexico!" that was a good episode, when Bono assures the crowd homer will get the help he needs as security beats him

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Piss de Bundy posted:

does anybody else just start laughing when they think of random simpsons lines or episodes?

if i think about homer as he yells "oh no you DON'T, that trampoline is MINE!" as he swipes the car i lose it.

or "that's not america! that's not even mexico!" that was a good episode, when Bono assures the crowd homer will get the help he needs as security beats him

My sister and I always bonded so much over our favorite Simpson's quotes :unsmith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Piss de Bundy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IQHHliTtsE

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

54 40 or gently caress posted:

There's some great episodes in season 9 and some major stinkers. It really is the indicator of how the direction. On one hand you have he episodes where Lisa thinks she's getting dumber, the movementarians, where homer climbs the mountains but then there's the ones with the trillion dollar bill, Moes girlfriend, the funzo Christmas one with sucked, Halloween one sucked etc

Trillion dollar bill should be switched with Homer climbing the mountain imo.

"Could you pay me under the table? I'm having a little trouble with the IRS"

Bad ending though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Whatev posted:

No. It's the opposite. Simpsons Safari is a terrible negative one-off you exuberant virgins.

I hate, Hate, HATE, ~*HATE*~ that episode. I thought it was an ok episode the first time I watched it, but that was a time where Fox was preempting Futurama for "bonus" episodes of The Simpsons at the last minute. So I saw it again a few weeks later, then again, then the rerun cycle allowed for it to be played. I think I saw it like 6 times in 2 months.

As a bonus, a few years later I went to Turkey, and saw it there

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cobweb Heart posted:

Put the katana down beavis. It should not be controversial to talk poo poo on Fear of Flying. As for the dig on Springfield Connection, do what you will.

edit: Wait I forgot about the lesbian bar and the character who runs into the pilot's bar and drags Homer out. But that's all.

In my defense, I didn't read the second half of your post after the first was a turd sandwich, I was only referring to your love of that dumb episode.

Specifically Jane Goodall's ripoff shrieking DIAMONDS!! is a definite lowpoint of the series for me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Piss de Bundy posted:

hello, this is moleman in the morning. good moleman to you :smith:

also, dan castellaneta's delivery of "AH! DEEEEAAAATH" cracks me up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDBP0DqQuss

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
People don't like fear of flying? With Homer's bar visits and Guy Ingonito?

Lowenstein...

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Irradiation posted:

People don't like fear of flying? With Homer's bar visits and Guy Ingonito?

Lowenstein...

I'm confused too that's like one of my favorite episodes of that season

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

:perfect:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lol

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

theperminator posted:

When homer hosed Lena Dunham

This takes the cake. It literally cannot be anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

NorgLyle posted:

The third act of that episode isn't even a tall tale it's just same lame Huck Finn parody. They even do that annoying thing in the episode where they acknowledge it's not consistent, and if you think it's bad then you're literally comic book guy.

Holy poo poo. Season 12 had the boy band one and praiseland? That's got to be a low point.