Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My mistake, got confused by it shipping with the beta.

Zenimax, Bethesdas parent company, published both Doom and Wolfenstein as part of their purchase of id software; I'm not totally sure if id technically still owns Wolfenstein or not, though.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
With all of the machine soldiers and mechanized terror weapons running around, I'm surprised the Nazis, if they continue to exist even to 1970, aren't subtly aiming at mechanizing people in general. Like just outright "Flesh is always weak, always diminishes and deludes its once proud features into the weakness of age. The future for our culture is to be forever alive and strong as a living Panzermann.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

echronorian posted:

Zenimax, Bethesdas parent company, published both Doom and Wolfenstein as part of their purchase of id software; I'm not totally sure if id technically still owns Wolfenstein or not, though.
I don't believe they do. Zenimax bought Id, so even if Id owns Wolfenstein/Doom, Zenimax owns Id.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I don't believe they do. Zenimax bought Id, so even if Id owns Wolfenstein/Doom, Zenimax owns Id.

I was actually hoping you'd come in with a definitive answer :P If they outright own the properties I wonder what the terms are for id? They must have some bargaining power in the arrangement.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Crabtree posted:

With all of the machine soldiers and mechanized terror weapons running around, I'm surprised the Nazis, if they continue to exist even to 1970, aren't subtly aiming at mechanizing people in general. Like just outright "Flesh is always weak, always diminishes and deludes its once proud features into the weakness of age. The future for our culture is to be forever alive and strong as a living Panzermann.

That's literally Deathshead's plan. He tells you at the end of TNO that he wants to meld the best qualities of people and machines into a perfect, ageless, obedient brain-in-a-suit.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

echronorian posted:

I was actually hoping you'd come in with a definitive answer :P If they outright own the properties I wonder what the terms are for id? They must have some bargaining power in the arrangement.

"Do what we say and we give you a paycheck, don't do what we say and we fire you and find someone who will"? Like, there aren't many original Id employees still working there today.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 20, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

That's literally Deathshead's plan. He tells you at the end of TNO that he wants to meld the best qualities of people and machines into a perfect, ageless, obedient brain-in-a-suit.

poo poo I must have forgotten or didn't listen to his grandpa plan then. I wonder if that's still what the higher ups want then.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

"Do what we say and we give you a paycheck, don't do what we say and we fire you and find someone who will"? Like, there aren't many original Id employees still working there today.

When you think of the industry id came from it's incredible they are still a thing at all. How many companies from that era are even close to representing what they did at their height in the early 90s? Hollenshead and Carmack leaving was probably best for them and for id, imo.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crabtree posted:

poo poo I must have forgotten or didn't listen to his grandpa plan then. I wonder if that's still what the higher ups want then.

I don't recall if that is his plan for everyone, or if one of his hosed up personal goals in life is just build the ultimate robot so he can say he did it then move on. Still, maybe The Matrix came about due to Nazis. Maybe we're living in it right now...

edit:

echronorian posted:

When you think of the industry id came from it's incredible they are still a thing at all. How many companies from that era are even close to representing what they did at their height in the early 90s? Hollenshead and Carmack leaving was probably best for them and for id, imo.
If you look at the list many of the 'key' employees left the company 20+ years ago to form their own studios (many of which have also since folded), it's been a long rear end time since iD was in their glory days of DOOM and Quake. Their biggest asset is name recognition to old people like me who grew up playing those games. They already own the name and the IPs behind them, everyone else can gently caress right off as far as Zenimax is concerned.

There have been more Wolfenstein games since the RtCW reboot in 2001 (which I think still used some of the original team) than there were when the franchise first stated in 1981. And even more since the second reboot in 2009.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 20, 2017

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've been playing id games since wolf3d and honestly I think they're a better studio now than between ~2002 - 2013 but opinions differ

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I'm hype as hell for this game, and have been trying to get my fix with some of the alternatives mentioned here such as The Saboteur. There's also a standalone Doom mod called Wolfendoom: Blade of Agony. Despite the title being rather generic sounding, it's a pretty fun Wolfenstein game made by fans in the Doom engine. It doesn't require anything though! You can just download and play.

Brief review: Starts out Medal of Honor, ends up Indiana Jones, complete with boulders and comically huge robo-nazis. The second episode came out last month, strongly recommended!

Also I really, really am hoping that if we get The Second US Revolution as promised in the preview blurb, we get to hear something like the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Somehow I feel like that song basically describes BJ in a nutshell, if you replace "His truth" with "His never ending thirst for nazi blood".

fake edit: Blade of Agony also features Mighty Boot functionality for maximum Nazi Stomping

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 21, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm hype as hell for this game, and have been trying to get my fix with some of the alternatives mentioned here such as The Saboteur. There's also a standalone Doom mod called Wolfendoom: Blade of Agony. Despite the title being rather generic sounding, it's a pretty fun Wolfenstein game made by fans in the Doom engine. It doesn't require anything though! You can just download and play.

Brief review: Starts out Medal of Honor, ends up Indiana Jones, complete with boulders and comically huge robo-nazis. The second episode came out last month, strongly recommended!

Also I really, really am hoping that we get The Second US Revolution as promised in the preview blurb, we get to hear something like the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Somehow I feel like that song basically describes BJ in a nutshell, if you replace "His truth" with "His never ending thirst for nazi blood".

fake edit: Blade of Agony also features Mighty Boot functionality for maximum Nazi Stomping

Wow, thanks for posting this. It's like someone made a Wolfenstein in the era of Dark Forces. Definitely gonna play this during the week.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 21, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Quicksilver6 posted:

Also I really, really am hoping that we get The Second US Revolution as promised in the preview blurb, we get to hear something like the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Somehow I feel like that song basically describes BJ in a nutshell, if you replace "His truth" with "His never ending thirst for nazi blood".

That is the great truth of the world.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Quicksilver6 posted:

Can you mod it for double mighty boot?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can you mod it for double mighty boot?

Well, it's the doom engine so almost certainly.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Also I really, really am hoping that if we get The Second US Revolution as promised in the preview blurb, we get to hear something like the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Somehow I feel like that song basically describes BJ in a nutshell, if you replace "His truth" with "His never ending thirst for nazi blood".

gently caress yes

I loved using the boot in RtCW, even though (iirc) it was on the Black button on the Xbox the First controller and so it was kinda awkward to use. But you better believe if there was a door that needed opening, I was kicking that poo poo in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
never got around to getting old blood before now, but dang if it isn't nice saying hello to terror billy again.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So I've been playing that Wolfendoom mod/game, and it does scratch that "Kill a bunch of Nazis" itch. It's like if you had a Wolfenstein game in the pre-Quake era. The graphics are great for that retro feel. The gunplay is great. The maps are superb. It has the most polish of a fan game that I've played since AM2R. It feels like a legit Wolfenstein game that would have come out in 1996. The story is pure Wolfenstein and isn't too hackily written. There's a few buts, though...

1. There is no indicator for backstabbing. You have to be crouching to backstab and I've rarely been able to pull off stealth kills because it's not clear when your knife swipe will actually be a backstab. The very first one in the game is also very troublesome, because there's a guard watching there, you go up to backstab him, and there's another guard right nearby who notices you regardless!

2. Enemies seem to be able to see you from ridiculous distances and through fog, and have excellent aim even on the middle difficulty. Crouchwalking is also not silent, which makes playing stealthily very difficult. The game is definitely more biased to guns blazing mode.

3. Enemies also seem really stupid, in that they have real trouble navigating walls. I'm used to Doom/Wolf3D where the enemies will make a buzz for you through doors once they're alerted to your presence, but many of the enemies get stuck on walls because they're trying to go straight for you when there's a blockage in the way. The enemy could go around the wall and get you. This is very exploitable in certain situations.

4. You can't interrupt the shell reloads on shotguns or the karabiner, so you better make sure you only reload at a safe place.

5. No checkpointing, so you better get used to quicksaving like back in the old days.

6. By default the grenade toss key is bound to Alt, which is bad if you want to alt-tab out of the game. I'd suggest remapping it.

Those gripes aside, I would definitely recommend checking it out / playing it if you like Wolfenstein at all and enjoy a retro FPS experience.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I kinda want them to adopt The Man in the High castle and make half of US under Nazi control and the other by the Japanese.

To bad the Nazis had already hosed up Japan

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 24, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Robzilla posted:

I kinda want them to adopt The Man in the High castle and make half of US under Nazi control and the other by the Japanese.

To bad the Nazis had already hosed up Japan

If you're looking for more alt-history fiction with a Germany/Japan controlled USA, check out the book 'The Divide' by William Overgard. The premise is basically the same as Man in the High Castle, but it plays out like an action movie.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I guess I messed up on my game purchase because I bought the Old Blood and started playing it before the New Order. Angrily googling "Wolf Old Blood First Level Terrible" brought up a lot of webpages and also a helpful hint on steam that you can go bananas on the super soldiers with the machine gun. I was so, so happy.

What are some general combat tips and hints? I feel like I'm not using my weapons very effectively. I'm not used to barely surviving combat, although I guess I'm cleaning almost all the areas without dying?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kefkafloyd posted:

So I've been playing that Wolfendoom mod/game, and it does scratch that "Kill a bunch of Nazis" itch. It's like if you had a Wolfenstein game in the pre-Quake era. The graphics are great for that retro feel. The gunplay is great. The maps are superb. It has the most polish of a fan game that I've played since AM2R. It feels like a legit Wolfenstein game that would have come out in 1996. The story is pure Wolfenstein and isn't too hackily written. There's a few buts, though...

6. By default the grenade toss key is bound to Alt, which is bad awesome if you want to alt-tab out of the game. I'd suggest remapping leaving it.

Those gripes aside, I would definitely recommend checking it out / playing it if you like Wolfenstein at all and enjoy a retro FPS experience.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I've been murdering and headshotting dudes left and right, I think I have the most trouble with melee combat not activating and figuring out the best way to kill those armor jerks (or shotgun turkeys)

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I guess I messed up on my game purchase because I bought the Old Blood and started playing it before the New Order. Angrily googling "Wolf Old Blood First Level Terrible" brought up a lot of webpages and also a helpful hint on steam that you can go bananas on the super soldiers with the machine gun. I was so, so happy.

What are some general combat tips and hints? I feel like I'm not using my weapons very effectively. I'm not used to barely surviving combat, although I guess I'm cleaning almost all the areas without dying?

The first level of the Old Blood sucks but it picks up significantly after that and level four is easily the highest point of the franchise. Just stealth kill one of the Uber Soldiers and take down the rest by shooting the power source connected to the wires on the ceiling rails if you get spotted.

During combat run between cover and use the leaning function liberally. Wolfenstein was never Doom and the hitscan enemies will kill you easily if you stay out in the open, especially on higher difficulties. Dual wielding makes you sprint significantly slower, more so on TOB where there's no perk to upgrade it, so save it for when there's a crowd of regular enemies grouped together and near you.

Shotgun nazis have a tank on their back that you can shoot (the bolt rifle is good for this) to usually kill them instantly. If not (I assume this has to do with the difficulty level) then a couple more shots should easily do it. If you don't care about saving ammo you can shoot at them until they die, dual shotguns are especially good for this.

Upgraded UberSoldiers can be easily killed by shooting them in their power source to stun them, running up to them to melee the front armour out of them, then shooting them enough times in the heart until they die. If not you can shoot their back socket thing a couple of times to stun them again and instakill them with another melee move. If you don't care about any of this you can shoot at them until they die.

Most of this applies to The New Order too since gameplay is nearly identical, but it's worth mentioning that TOB is harder since there's usually more enemies present and I believe their AI was tweaked a bit, ie. they seem to throw grenades much more often if you stay in the same spot. Areas also tend to be bigger so you can't stick to dual wielding assault rifles most of the time like in TNO.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Did people really dual wield a lot in TNO? I always feel like I burn through my ammo way too fast for it to really be effective.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pendent posted:

Did people really dual wield a lot in TNO? I always feel like I burn through my ammo way too fast for it to really be effective.
I did, yeah, especially later game. I usually could pick up ammo when I needed it, had the LKW and alt-Marksman weapons topped off every time I got to a charging station, and had enough weapons to be able to swap between several weapons so I wasn't overly reliant on one weapon, which spread my ammo out a lot.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Most of my TNO playthroughs were spent using dual assault rifles (+LKW for UberSoldiers) and I had to force myself to use anything else. It's a combination of things such as most encounters happening in small-medium sized areas, the perk upgrade that increases your dual wielding sprint speed, assault rifles having the biggest ammo reserve and the game rarely giving you the shotguns/sniper rifles or ammo for them. TOB is, as expected from a pseudo-sequel, better balanced and more refined in general.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

That was basically my experience as well, mostly dual assault rifles in TNO but more of a mixture in TOB but generally not dual wielding at all.

Also there's Quakecon sales afoot, so Steam has sales on the Wolfenstein games available (so not 2009)! I know of a PSN sale but I haven't checked it, I would assume TNO and TOB are on sale there as well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I have enough Wolfenstein games to play all of October. A whole month of Nazis and zombies.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Pendent posted:

I didn't normally dual-wield unless I just needed to kill poo poo faster than normal (with dual ARs or the shotguns). I significantly preferred being more maneuverable, sprint-sliding between cover and generally running BJ like der monkeyman.

Pretty much never dual-wielded the marksman rifle, however.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 25, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

GUI posted:

The first level of the Old Blood sucks but it picks up significantly after that and level four is easily the highest point of the franchise. Just stealth kill one of the Uber Soldiers and take down the rest by shooting the power source connected to the wires on the ceiling rails if you get spotted.

During combat run between cover and use the leaning function liberally. Wolfenstein was never Doom and the hitscan enemies will kill you easily if you stay out in the open, especially on higher difficulties. Dual wielding makes you sprint significantly slower, more so on TOB where there's no perk to upgrade it, so save it for when there's a crowd of regular enemies grouped together and near you.

Shotgun nazis have a tank on their back that you can shoot (the bolt rifle is good for this) to usually kill them instantly. If not (I assume this has to do with the difficulty level) then a couple more shots should easily do it. If you don't care about saving ammo you can shoot at them until they die, dual shotguns are especially good for this.

Upgraded UberSoldiers can be easily killed by shooting them in their power source to stun them, running up to them to melee the front armour out of them, then shooting them enough times in the heart until they die. If not you can shoot their back socket thing a couple of times to stun them again and instakill them with another melee move. If you don't care about any of this you can shoot at them until they die.

Most of this applies to The New Order too since gameplay is nearly identical, but it's worth mentioning that TOB is harder since there's usually more enemies present and I believe their AI was tweaked a bit, ie. they seem to throw grenades much more often if you stay in the same spot. Areas also tend to be bigger so you can't stick to dual wielding assault rifles most of the time like in TNO.

Well you confirmed a lot of stuff I was thinking and gave me some other good stuff! Thanks for the write up! I was just going for headshots with the sniper rifle on the shotgun zombies, it was a total pain in the rear end.

What other enemies are vulnerable to headshots?

Also, I felt like a total badass when I popped the Uber soldiers Tesla coil with one shot, popped his chest plate off, and put a bunch of shotgun rounds into his chest.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Dual wielding the sniper rifle is worth doing once just to experience the hilarious recoil.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Pendent posted:

On my most recent replay I did. Like others said, it was mostly dual AR. I didn't find ammo to be much of an issue since you get pretty good control by just firing in bursts. I'd just tap both mouse buttons and it killed most trash Nazis pretty easy.

I also grabbed and used the mounted machineguns whenever I could as well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Werix posted:

On my most recent replay I did. Like others said, it was mostly dual AR. I didn't find ammo to be much of an issue since you get pretty good control by just firing in bursts. I'd just tap both mouse buttons and it killed most trash Nazis pretty easy.

I also grabbed and used the mounted machineguns whenever I could as well.

TOB/TNO got the gunplay "right" in general but, man, those machineguns were just vicious. You really get a feel for their weight and awesome power, the way they recoil and the sound they make as they rip through ammo (and targets). I never thought I'd say that about an FPS weapon that is primarily mounted, since they generally seem really lame to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wish the sound effects on the weapons were better. The damage and visual feedback really emphasized their lethality, but the sounds were like pop guns.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't feel like the guns in The Old Blood do enough damage.

Also how do stealth kills work? Who do Stealth Headshots kill? officers, grunts, slightly stronger grunts? Do you use the melee button or the primary fire button for stealth takedowns? Does it matter? Should you use the knife over the pipes? What enemies can you kill with the melee kills? What about the throwing knives?

Goddamn this game needs a slight tutorial.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't feel like the guns in The Old Blood do enough damage.

Also how do stealth kills work? Who do Stealth Headshots kill? officers, grunts, slightly stronger grunts? Do you use the melee button or the primary fire button for stealth takedowns? Does it matter? Should you use the knife over the pipes? What enemies can you kill with the melee kills? What about the throwing knives?

Goddamn this game needs a slight tutorial.

Stealth kills require you to press the middle button when you are behind an enemy and preferably crouching. You can do them standing up, but you need to be extremely fast because nazis will hear you running at them. Same goes for basic melee combat. You get a half second, non choreographed window to strike a Nazi before they hit you. Stealth Kills can also be done on sleeping dogs, and executions can be performed on downed ubersoldiers.

Stealth headshots kill officers and all ranks of basic troopers, from the lowest grunt up to Deathshead Commandos. They don't work on Heavy Troopers or Ubersoltaten.

Throwing knives are one hit kills for most enemies so long as you are in stealth. Alerted enemies don't take full damage from them. In general, the knives are better to use against human enemies, while the pipe is better versus zombies. Don't bother with the dual wield pipe, the basic one is better.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I dual wielded all the time and almost never used sights. Why shoot one gun when you could shoot two?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordja posted:

I dual wielded all the time and almost never used sights. Why shoot one gun when you could shoot two?

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
BJ's new suit of Da'at Yichud armor should give him the strength to dual wield miniguns Hans grosse style