Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I felt pretty much the same way, especially once they started mixing the record/rewind gimmick into the main levels. Before that point, they'd reserved the really complex puzzles for the star levels or getting the desaturated tetris pieces. imo that's the right way to do it, as opposed to The Witness making the really complex stuff just a part of your journey, but near the end it starts to creep in and it kind of sucks.

edit: And honestly I think that's more the issue I have with The Witness. There's no difficulty gradation to the puzzles, they start off easy to introduce you to the gimmick and then just jump all over the frickin place for the rest of its duration.
That's weird cause I felt like it was the opposite, each time it introduces a new mechanic it spends tens of puzzles drilling it into your head and making sure you recognize every permutation of how that mechanic works and how it might interact with other things and its boring as heck doing all these softball puzzles to get to the good parts.

Squarelogic is a very good puzzle game that solved that problem years before, by having each area contain a dozen puzzles of increasing difficulty and then one hard challenge puzzle that you can take to prove that you understand the new mechanic and test out and into the next area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
while i'm waiting for sonic mania i remembered i still have the old sonic utopia demo thing installed and screwed around with it for a bit. i dunno if that game will work as well with actual level design but it's still fun to just gently caress around in a big area

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What game should I get next for the Switch? I can't buy them all at once, so should I go for Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, or Mario XCOM?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Macaluso posted:

What game should I get next for the Switch? I can't buy them all at once, so should I go for Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, or Mario XCOM?

Spla2n and Zelda. Play them for me, as I cannot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless snail posted:

That's weird cause I felt like it was the opposite, each time it introduces a new mechanic it spends tens of puzzles drilling it into your head and making sure you recognize every permutation of how that mechanic works and how it might interact with other things and its boring as heck doing all these softball puzzles to get to the good parts.

Squarelogic is a very good puzzle game that solved that problem years before, by having each area contain a dozen puzzles of increasing difficulty and then one hard challenge puzzle that you can take to prove that you understand the new mechanic and test out and into the next area.

There are some points where it's more obvious than others I think. The introduction to the tetris block shape puzzles goes on for quite some time, with the rafts across the marsh and the area with the walls that change with the puzzle. But some things like the sun shadow + water reflection puzzles give you a couple of freebies and then are just like "good loving luck pal". Speaking of, drat those water reflection puzzles are tedious and time-wasting. Cool idea with awful execution.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

precision posted:

The Fool's Errand HD remake when????
Fuckin finally someone recognizes my main man cliff johnson

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I should probably start counting the number of times I've played rez start to finish, on all the various platforms rez has come out on. its probably a really big number

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quest For Glory II posted:

Fuckin finally someone recognizes my main man cliff johnson

holy poo poo, apparently it had a sequel in 2012 whose official website looks like a 1998 geocities page

http://www.thefoolandhismoney.com/

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Reading through the highlights of the MS Gamescom presentation has convinced me that they are just phoning in their efforts with the Xbox now.

A bunch of trailers that they already showed at E3, Forza 7 (these games are just track/car DLC packs at this stage), personalized controllers again and the startling revelation that the Day One edition of there new super console comes with a vertical stand!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Was gamescom ever a big news conf?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

precision posted:

The Fool's Errand HD remake when????

its called the fool and his money

edit. oh. you found it.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 21, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
~thread from 2015~
op: "hey there's this mission in dragonfall where the game gets stuck on the enemy turn in this very specific spot"
dev: "we are well aware of this problem and are doing everything in our power to fix it."

~tyool 2017~
me: "why is the game stuck on the enemy turn... well let's do a search, does anyone else have this problem?"
>finds thread from 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

~thread from 2015~
op: "hey there's this mission in dragonfall where the game gets stuck on the enemy turn in this very specific spot"
dev: "we are well aware of this problem and are doing everything in our power to fix it."

~tyool 2017~
me: "why is the game stuck on the enemy turn... well let's do a search, does anyone else have this problem?"
>finds thread from 2015
Bonus points if you make a new thread on the forum asking about the problem and a mod derides you for not using the search feature first.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i decided to get a 20XX run in while listening to some music from mega man zx before going to bed and then fifty minutes later i beat the game for the first time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i decided to get a 20XX run in while listening to some music from mega man zx before going to bed and then fifty minutes later i beat the game for the first time

Congratulations! Did you have fun?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf5k6ndcNPY

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Elders react too... the witness

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Earth Table posted:

Sonic Mania makes me feel like the food critic in Ratatouille when he takes a bite out of the dish.Not only is he instantly transported back to vivid childhood memories, he is reminded of why he loves food* so much in the first place.

*food is video games in this weak comparison, you see.

This is absolutely the best way to describe this game! Yes!!! I feel this way when I play it. I hope we get more in mania's style. Just keep making remixed levels and adding newer kinds :D

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

FirstAidKite posted:

How do you feel about something like the talos principle

why the gently caress does it need to be 15 hours long

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/899586900008226816

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Forget that, here's the real news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLG3VLiNnlw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I guess I am glad I didn't get the Season Pass for FF15 on the PS4, I think I'll just sell my copy and get it for the PC. There should be plenty to keep me occupied until Early 2018

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

2018 shaping up to be the worst year in gaming.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Are you gonna be able to mod a combat system into pc ff15?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sakurazuka posted:

Forget that, here's the real news

Forget that, the real real news is Operation Genesis 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWagBjDMwTU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

procedurally generated dino hybrids

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know anything about fear effect, wasn't it a cheap cash grab resident evil copycat when that was all the rage in the late 90's, but with lesbians

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No that was Fear Effect 2

No lesbians in the first one

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know anything about fear effect, wasn't it a cheap cash grab resident evil copycat when that was all the rage in the late 90's, but with lesbians

incorrect

the lesbians weren't added until Fear Effect 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's biggest gimmick was that instead of RE's static pre-rendered backgrounds they were animated using FMV movies on a short loop.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Also it had that third game that got cancelled. I think it was called Fear Effect Inferno

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh no the lesbians caught fire

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

oh no the lesbians caught fire

Friction burn

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
There's a joke in there with the f word but I'm not going for it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tribadism doesn't start with an f

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

fear effect sounds like a working title for Dead Space

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

homeless snail posted:

I should probably start counting the number of times I've played rez start to finish, on all the various platforms rez has come out on. its probably a really big number

:same:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Me too but mostly because of the "clear score attack 30 times" trophy

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I know there's an FTL thread but drat Slug ships are just the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Fear Effect my have literally been the first game to use cell shaded graphics and as a result it's one of the few PS1 games that still looks alright. They appear to have traded the the cell shading for generic graphics that would have looked bad on the PS2, which is baffling

• Locked thread