Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

and it was hell of transphobic how they kept making fun of Jerry for imagining what it would be like if he had a vagina

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

not really feeling episode 5. didn't get any laughs

and it was hell of transphobic how they kept making fun of Jerry for imagining what it would be like if he had a vagina

Jesus dude, pick your battles.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The little suction gun stealing the real gun got a good laugh.

Also the salvia one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That whole bit reminded me of The Fifth Element. From Rick's arm gun to the cruise ship thing. I could be wrong but it owned regardless.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Whirly Dirly ride was straight out of Contact.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The kids shooting each other is one of the best jokes of the show. Goddammmmnn.

Felt they could have done a little more with their westworld parody but that was hilarious

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rick's a freakin' cyborg!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
If you're the kind of person who cries transphobia at a joke like that I'm pretty sure you've got a permanently bleeding vagina for a soul.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
my favourite joke was rick's crazy targeting eye and arm gun just shooting a stupid little suction cup

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Also can anyone blame Ethan?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Motherfucker posted:

my favourite joke was rick's crazy targeting eye and arm gun just shooting a stupid little suction cup

Yeah I enjoyed that wet fart of a pay off - especially after seeing previews with crazy rear end cyborg Rick

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

not really feeling episode 5. didn't get any laughs

You know how sometimes you see someone post something and you think "Huh, I wonder what their rap sheet is like" and then its exactly what you expected?

Yeah.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

drat son.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Of course Rick is a cyborg, of course he'd pack himself with as much hidden hardware as can it inside his body.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The kids shooting each other is one of the best jokes of the show. Goddammmmnn.

is there hidden subtext to this joke because i took it at face value

oh yeah my fav jokes were

1. tech support "we're free!"
2. the enlarger device in general, both it not doing what beth expected and morty somehow knowing exactly what had caused summer to go huge (like he's so used to it at this point, same thing with ethan at the campsite)
3. the running beast with rick on its back while its nutsack repeatedly smashed jerry in the face

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 21, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Was there anything in this episode tying it to the current season plot or other adventures we've seen? They've sneakily done alternate universe episodes in the past, and I think this could be an evil Morty origin story or something.

With the latest ending, I feel like this might be the season arc.

I explicitly came to check out if anybody felt like this about the smores scene, but didn't think about that read of the Vindicators episode. But then again, just when did Morty become smart enough to casually dismantle Ricktech?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Man, that really is the season of people dismantling others via monologue. Rick going of on Jerry was awesome.

edit: And it really had Dan Harmon's fingerprints all over it, similar to the therapist.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sick of Everyone's poo poo Morty is the best Morty, I hope he sticks around.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Your s'more is burning Ethan. Let me cool it off, over here, by the morpholizer...

Ok straight answer is that Morty was trying to distract Ethan so he wouldn't stop him from turning on the machine

I read it less as a distraction, since he already had Ethan dead to rights due to the crying titans in the distance. To me, this was Morty's 'Do you feel Lucky, Punk?' line, a throwaway word to a man already doomed.

Still, solid drat episode. There weren't as many laughs, but little tech support was fun and the dialog once again nails it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Boob-yah.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Okay, I feel like Jerry is slightly less of a worthless piece of poo poo. But not much. Just a little.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

"Right before she Clive Barker-ed herself" was good.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

You know how sometimes you see someone post something and you think "Huh, I wonder what their rap sheet is like" and then its exactly what you expected?

Yeah.

yes I have learned my lesson from being probated for transphobic posts and now I support their cause

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

prefect posted:

Okay, I feel like Jerry is slightly less of a worthless piece of poo poo. But not much. Just a little.

I don't know if I agree with Rick's analysis of Jerry. The way he's been characterized, he doesn't come across as a clever manipulator who plays on pity; he comes across as a dude who is just not all that capable and as such is pitiable.

The possibility that I feel for Jerry because I feel like I resemble him more than anyone else in the cast burns in my mind.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I don't think Jerry outright manipulates, but he'll definitely grab hold of any pity he can get his grubby mitts on. Rick believing otherwise could be due to personal distate for Jerry, or just belief that everyone has an agenda.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't know if I agree with Rick's analysis of Jerry. The way he's been characterized, he doesn't come across as a clever manipulator who plays on pity; he comes across as a dude who is just not all that capable and as such is pitiable.

He doesn't need to be a clever manipulator -- it's instinctual to him. He's the Jerry-worm from the marriage counseling episode.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Phobophilia posted:

Of course Rick is a cyborg, of course he'd pack himself with as much hidden hardware as can it inside his body.

Except that's not C-137's body. It's one of the council members'. (Of course he could have augmented himself in the meantime, but still.)

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I know we have been over this earlier, but why are calling people this episode transphobic? I really want to understand what is going on in people's mind.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nobnob posted:

I know we have been over this earlier, but why are calling people this episode transphobic? I really want to understand what is going on in people's mind.

Jerry wondered what it was like to have a vagina, and was goofed on for it.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
My pet theory right now is that Jerry being part of the family unit is what was keeping Morty sane and stupid. By ousting Jerry, Rick is unwittingly creating not only Bethzilla but also turning Morty into a monster. Jerry's normalizing stupidity and patheticism (which is now a word) really was all that was holding the family together.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

prefect posted:

Jerry wondered what it was like to have a vagina, and was goofed on for it.

Oh, that was it already? Okay, thanks.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
"Thinking about having a vagina is stupid and worthy of derision because if you have a penis you are the best and why would you want to have anything in common with a woman who is weaker and dumber it's science look it up."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cryohazard posted:

My pet theory right now is that Jerry being part of the family unit is what was keeping Morty sane and stupid. By ousting Jerry, Rick is unwittingly creating not only Bethzilla but also turning Morty into a monster. Jerry's normalizing stupidity and patheticism (which is now a word) really was all that was holding the family together.

:aaaaa:

I think I like this theory.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Attestant posted:

But then again, just when did Morty become smart enough to casually dismantle Ricktech?

He's slowly but constantly been picking poo poo up, like when he explains the trans-dimensional cable and Rick gives him the "20% accurate as usual, Morty" line. Notice he didn't exactly understand the technology, he just knew how to use it and constantly experimented with settings until he figured it out. He's not a genius, he's just someone becoming adept at surviving Rick's bullshit. It's super-science as a metaphor for emotional abuse. Weird alien technology is just another version of "Whelp, Grandpa's talking about the Jews again". You learn how to deal with it because you have to.

e: Honestly the science poo poo is probably easier to deal with than the weird drunken rants.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 21, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nobnob posted:

Because they're trolling or they're "Woke teenager who just discovered Tumblr" levels of sensitive. The joke isn't that Jerry has a vagina or wants a vagina, its just an idle thought that Jerry and basically everyone who doesn't have a vagina has had and the show pokes fun at Jerry admitting a silly, embarrassing thing like that for no reason.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Buzkashi posted:

"Thinking about having a vagina is stupid and worthy of derision because if you have a penis you are the best and why would you want to have anything in common with a woman who is weaker and dumber it's science look it up."

Source your quotes, please.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Mulva posted:

He's slowly but constantly been picking poo poo up, like when he explains the trans-dimensional cable and Rick gives him the "20% accurate as usual, Morty" line. Notice he didn't exactly understand the technology, he just knew how to use it and constantly experimented with settings until he figured it out. He's not a genius, he's just someone becoming adapt at surviving Rick's bullshit. It's super-science as a metaphor for emotional abuse. Weird alien technology is just another version of "Whelp, Grandpa's talking about the Jews again". You learn how to deal with it because you have to.

This is how I interpreted it, too. There's a little too much emotion behind "TOO MANY TIMES" for me to feel like Morty is casually disarming the nutrino bomb.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Buzkashi posted:

1stGear posted:

Because they're trolling or they're "Woke teenager who just discovered Tumblr" levels of sensitive. The joke isn't that Jerry has a vagina or wants a vagina, its just an idle thought that Jerry and basically everyone who doesn't have a vagina has had and the show pokes fun at Jerry admitting a silly, embarrassing thing like that for no reason.

It was originally not my intention to bring this discussion up, because you kinda never know what side you have to be on anyways, but I feel like those two posts are connected. :pseudo:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Niemat posted:

This is how I interpreted it, too. There's a little too much emotion behind "TOO MANY TIMES" for me to feel like Morty is casually disarming the nutrino bomb.

Given that we are talking about destroying or not destroying civilizations, worlds and probably dimensions in general, I wonder how many times you have to do it in order to sound legit when using the term "too many times".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Can someone make a gif of Rick trying to grab the gun? So cute!

Great episode, fave this season so far.