Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I can't believe Danny punched a wall just before punching the magic wall and didn't immediately realize he was being baited. That was it for me. I hate when they write themselves into a problem that can only be resolved by having someone do something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Danny is the most reliably stupid character in the show though. It was always clear that he'd get baited into summoning the iron fist and own himself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Does anyone believe Gao is really dead?

No body, no death. Of course even seeing the body, still doesn't mean they're gone

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

JBP posted:

Danny is the most reliably stupid character in the show though. It was always clear that he'd get baited into summoning the iron fist and own himself.

They spell it out to him, numerous times, that he is the key to open the gate, and he still punches Elektra. It's where I gave up on the episode entirely.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I guess I never doubted for a minute that he would punch the door by accident or get sucked into some paper thin ruse that would enable the plot to continue by IF being an idiot that punches the door.

Like Elektra could have said "now iron fist, whatever you do, don't punch that door! I'm going to get a soda" then walked out of the room while beads of sweat build on Danny's brow until he finally cracks and punches the door.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

they really should have just let stick kill Danny.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

I can't believe Danny punched a wall just before punching the magic wall and didn't immediately realize he was being baited. That was it for me. I hate when they write themselves into a problem that can only be resolved by having someone do something stupid.

yeah

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

TFRazorsaw posted:

Does anyone believe Gao is really dead?

Are we supposed to? (Episode 8, I think) Meaningfully receding into the shadows is the last thing I recall seeing her do.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Question that I've been curious about - Alexandria mentions that she regularly kills Iron Fists, there can only be 1 Iron Fist at a time, and Danny was only made Iron Fist about 6 months ago? Maybe Danny is the dumbest Iron Fist because they were running out of recruits?

Now that the Hand have been mostly dealt with, and his family sort of avenged, any chance that Danny can smoke some :420: and go back to being a barefoot hobo? He seemed happier back then. It might be a more fun show if he's more light-hearted, hanging around with Luke eating dumplings and stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Goffer posted:

Now that the Hand have been mostly dealt with, and his family sort of avenged, any chance that Danny can smoke some :420: and go back to being a barefoot hobo? He seemed happier back then. It might be a more fun show if he's more light-hearted, hanging around with Luke eating dumplings and stuff.

I hope this is the future of that character. It's not much fun have some yoga doofus himbo hanging around if he's always stressing out.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

JBP posted:

I hope this is the future of that character. It's not much fun have some yoga doofus himbo hanging around if he's always stressing out.
i look forward to seeing what they do with him as i've very much enjoyed the story they've told with him so far. he's been mostly saved from the worst consequences of his poor decision making due to being a broken child, he is probably due for some actual consequence to make him look inward.

since he is not ready to be the pure melding of billionaire and monk, i would like seeing more pure hobo iron fist.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Punisher comes out this year, they're currently filming seasons two of JJ and Cage, and Netflix has ordered a second season of IF.

Aw nuts. At least there'll be no ninjas (I'm assuming).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Punisher show better be loving good.

If he doesn't use the minigun he found in that weapon shed, I'm going to stop watching Marvel shows forever.

Not having him mow down hordes of ninjas with it to clear the way for Matt and Elektra on the DD2 finale was such a stupidly wasted opportunity.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Punisher will be different. They'll all hopefully be better with bad guys that aren't the lovely hand ninjas. Like the series antagonists are by and large great (Meachum, Mariah/Cottonmouth, Fisk and Kilgrave).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Toast Museum posted:

Are we supposed to? (Episode 8, I think) Meaningfully receding into the shadows is the last thing I recall seeing her do.

Nope. The last thing we see is Gao standing at the base of the elevator shaft with Murakami impaled on some rebar asking "What's happening?" and Gao looks up and says "The end."

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Firstborn posted:

Highlander: the Series fight scene

How dare you! I'll not have you disparage a war hero like Duncan MacLeod!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

10 Beers posted:

How dare you! I'll not have you disparage a war hero like Duncan MacLeod!

*Christopher Lambert laugh*

heuheuhhah

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

That finale sucked. Besides a couple of cool character moments, it just looked so cheap. Felt like the cave was a set that they only half finished.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

He would have gone back to prison, so not really.

I mean aside from the fact that Luke is simply not a killer, he's also walking on thin ice during the entire show because he's a fugitive and has to not attract too much attention.

Which he was doing a fine job of doing, until super-crazy Diamondback shows up, goading him into action. But no, let's be mad as Diamondback for reasons.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

notthegoatseguy posted:

That finale sucked. Besides a couple of cool character moments, it just looked so cheap. Felt like the cave was a set that they only half finished.

I noticed that any scene involving being in or around the elevator into the pit had just hilariously bad compositing. Like, mid-90s FMV CD-ROM game bad.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I noticed that any scene involving being in or around the elevator into the pit had just hilariously bad compositing. Like, mid-90s FMV CD-ROM game bad.

Oh man and that guy falling into the pit looked so fake. Like 90s Captain America Movie fake.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Phylodox posted:

Nope. The last thing we see is Gao standing at the base of the elevator shaft with Murakami impaled on some rebar asking "What's happening?" and Gao looks up and says "The end."

To be fair, Peggy Carter got impaled on some rebar once and she managed to shrug it off well enough after a couple of days.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sesq posted:

To be fair, Peggy Carter got impaled on some rebar once and she managed to shrug it off well enough after a couple of days.

She didn't then have a building dropped on her though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The first and most important rule of watching fiction is that if you do not see a corpse, the person is not dead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WampaLord posted:

The first and most important rule of watching fiction is that if you do not see a corpse, the person is not dead.

Especially not when they're last seen in a cavern full of raw resurrection juice.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Especially not when they're last seen in a cavern full of raw resurrection juice.

The second rule is "Even if you see a corpse, it does not mean they will stay dead."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't understand what Iron Fists deal is. Is he supposed to be good at fighting, or does he just have the one really good punch that he can sometimes do? I keep assuming he's the ultimate kung-fu man but he gets owned constantly and mostly wins fights by sucker punching people.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Pwnstar posted:

I don't understand what Iron Fists deal is. Is he supposed to be good at fighting, or does he just have the one really good punch that he can sometimes do? I keep assuming he's the ultimate kung-fu man but he gets owned constantly and mostly wins fights by sucker punching people.

I think the show goes out of it's way to show that Dany might be the worst Iron Fist in history. I'm assuming other IFs area probably not clowns, but we got the adventures of clown fist.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

This was a terrible Big Trouble in Little China remake

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So uh, I watched the first six episodes of Defenders yesterday, but is the best of the show really the last few minutes of ep3 when Run the Jewels kicks in? Because that was the loving high point for me and nothing else so far in the series has come close.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I dropped it at episode 4 and I would not be suprised if that was the case.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
One thing that annoyed me was how a lot of facts contradicted previous shows.

Daredevil: The Hand were a bunch of rear end in a top hat raiders in Shogun-era Japan who stumbled on the secret to Immortality.
Defenders: The Hand were elders of K'un Lun who disagreed on how to use Magic Chi Power.

Daredevil: The Hand worship and obey the Black Sky.
Defenders: The Black Sky is just a weapon, and many of them don't trust it.

Iron Fist: Bakuto and Gao hate each other.
Defenders: They get along fine.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Isn't that because the show runners don't have any idea what's happening on the other shows?

I don't need perfect continuity but at least the main story has to make sense and the characterisation needs to stay consistent.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Gao and Bakuto don't get along even in the Defenders

But when it comes to poo poo like remaining immortal they are willing to otherwise work together to get their dragon bones.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gynovore posted:

One thing that annoyed me was how a lot of facts contradicted previous shows.

Daredevil: The Hand were a bunch of rear end in a top hat raiders in Shogun-era Japan who stumbled on the secret to Immortality.
Defenders: The Hand were elders of K'un Lun who disagreed on how to use Magic Chi Power.

Daredevil: The Hand worship and obey the Black Sky.
Defenders: The Black Sky is just a weapon, and many of them don't trust it.

Iron Fist: Bakuto and Gao hate each other.
Defenders: They get along fine.

Daredevil: The Hand is a sinister and deadly organization of mysterious goals and vast power and influence.
Defenders: The Hand is Team Rocket.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Immortal ninjas are just really lame. I've been telling you people this since DD S2, why did it take you this long to believe me?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Isn't that because the show runners don't have any idea what's happening on the other shows?

The showrunner on Defenders is the guy that does Daredevil (from s2, and he was a writer on the show in s1, I believe)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It is kind of amazing that we've been building toward this with a b-plot in DD1 and a-plot in DD2, and they still had jack poo poo to show for it in Defenders.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I know the films have often soft retconned or ignored stuff from the individual movies (Whedon't Avengers movies take a particular liberty with other films) but it seems like Defenders/Daredevil/Iron Fist actively contradict each other. MCU-Netflix verse would benefit a lot from a Feige like figure so at least the shows have a general understanding of what is going on in the other shows rather than throwing poo poo at the wall and see what sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Like most things, the Hand is a lot cooler when you know barely anything about it. They were the coolest in season 1 of Daredevil when we knew poo poo about them except that Gao was loving awesome and then Nobu shows up and whoops Matt's rear end. We didn't even know they were the Hand, just that a secret organisation was backing Kingpin and that Gao could punch Matt 10 feet backwards with no explanation. There was a real feeling of mystique and intrigue.

Then in DD 2 they're cool in that one scene where Matt can't hear their movements and he shits his pants. Or when Claire freaks out over them being zombies. But after that we find out who and what they are and they basically just become ninja mooks to be run through with some vague mystical motivations. Still a bit cool and they could lead to something badass.

And then Iron Fist we find out even more about them and they suck balls. They're just a kind of lovely cult. The only interesting thing about them in Iron Fist is that Gao and Bakuto honestly came off as far more reasonable and competent than Danny did and I was honestly rooting against him for most of it.

And finally in Defenders we know everything about them and they're just petty, boring assholes. Nothing intriguing or intelligent about them anymore. They aren't even ninja's anymore, just losers in face masks. Their leaders are just pathetic old exiles desperately clinging to life. How are they even threatening anymore? Kingpin was so feared a man stabbed himself through the eye just for saying his name. Meanwhile Danny just goes "c'mon" and tracks them down. loving Elektra is like a god to them. These guys are ants compared to the Avengers, or even just to Luke Cage.

Gao is the only cool thing about them and even she'd be totally ruined if not for the actress being so drat good.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 21, 2017