Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

20XX is a super good game and I'm really excited what the final product looked like! I stopped playing right when the danger rooms all got a lot more complicated and harder and I thought that was a cool change, although the game is a lot more of a challenge now haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont even think ive ever heard a protomen song so i dont care either way. i was just expecting a police report or something.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

PureRok posted:

Got the Rogue itch after firing up ToME again, and I was wondering if there are any good DnD/Forgotten Realms based roguelike out there?

I've got a post floating around somewhere here about how cool and fun Incursion is, even if I can't figure out an easy way to take things out of chests

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

DisDisDis posted:

I've got a post floating around somewhere here about how cool and fun Incursion is, even if I can't figure out an easy way to take things out of chests
Isn't "floating around somewhere here" an actual inventory slot in Incursion, used to toss items from hand to hand, or swapping them out of your backpack?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

madjackmcmad posted:

Isn't "floating around somewhere here" an actual inventory slot in Incursion, used to toss items from hand to hand, or swapping them out of your backpack?

Yeah I think it might literally be "in air," implying that your character is some sort of insane itinerant juggler who doesn't understand how to just pick things up and put them directly in containers

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Right, to do anything with items in the inventory you select something, which moves it into the "in the air" slot, then put it where you want it to go. So backpack -> air -> equipment slot, or container -> air -> backpack. It's not often an issue, but if you need to do something like move all your equipment into a different backpack, it can take a long time because of the number of key presses involved.

I've run into a few bugs here and there, and the early game can be pretty rough depending on your build (a wizard with minor drain or a ranger with a bow and stealth skills are probably the safest starts), but it's a lot of fun once you get going.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

madjackmcmad posted:

that's amazing

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I think Larn had an 'up in the air' slot too. Was it Larn? It might have been Omega. One of that era.

Edit: I checked. It was Omega. Also, more belts than a Tetsuya Nomura character. I'm not sure if those are for actual belts or items on your belt, actually.

Prism fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 18, 2017

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Right, it's Omega. I haven't played it, but Incursion refers to it on the title screen.

Those slots are probably for items on your belt, not actual belts. Incursion has both:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
The Brigadevs do not have by any means the time or ability to save Makeup and Vanity Set from their gross sex offender label, in all likelihood. I fear to distract them with this knowledge.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

vorebane posted:

The Brigadevs do not have by any means the time or ability to save Makeup and Vanity Set from their gross sex offender label, in all likelihood. I fear to distract them with this knowledge.

Why do we need to know about this

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

I think Larn had an 'up in the air' slot too. Was it Larn? It might have been Omega. One of that era.

Edit: I checked. It was Omega. Also, more belts than a Tetsuya Nomura character. I'm not sure if those are for actual belts or items on your belt, actually.

The important thing to note about this screenshot is that the red-and-white-striped buckets contain Kentucky Fried Lizard Parts.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The important thing to note about this screenshot is that the red-and-white-striped buckets contain Kentucky Fried Lizard Parts.

I hope it's actually Kentucki Fried Lizzard Partes, for the reference.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

I hope it's actually Kentucki Fried Lizzard Partes, for the reference.

I remember it being misspelled, but it's been so long since I played Omega that I can't remember exactly how it's misspelled. But yes, it's clearly a reference to the Amber books.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hell, I'd eat them.

I'm not so sure about the Sizzling Weasel on a Stick™ from Crossfire.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Quidthulhu posted:

20XX is a super good game and I'm really excited what the final product looked like! I stopped playing right when the danger rooms all got a lot more complicated and harder and I thought that was a cool change, although the game is a lot more of a challenge now haha
Good luck with the new endgame! you're gonna die

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I love that they put scare quotes: 'In the Air.' It's so pretentious.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The Incursion/Omega inventory system is so close to being a really cool simulationist thing that I could unreservedly love. I think if it just, kept the size rule for what can go in your pack and shoulder/belt etc. options for storage but you could put things in those slots the way normal games do it in half the keypresses it would be great. And the unequipped items would swap to your pack if they were the right size or drop to the ground if not. The air thing is such a pain (you should still play Incursion though)

In other news I finally got TOME 2.35's "ASCII" working properly (though my player turns into a 6 occasionally now) and I'm gonna be hopefully getting further into that in the near future.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

In other news I finally got TOME 2.35's "ASCII" working properly (though my player turns into a 6 occasionally now) and I'm gonna be hopefully getting further into that in the near future.

ISTR there's an option that displays your character's health as a number, so you turn into a 6 if you're at 60% of max HP. Could be wrong, but look through the options.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

you could also play tome 2.3.5 on Angband.live™, the internet's premiere place to play angbands, live.

although i cant remember if tome is one of the one's where subwindows dont work properly.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

you could also play tome 2.3.5 on Angband.live™, the internet's premiere place to play angbands, live.

although i cant remember if tome is one of the one's where subwindows dont work properly.
Or you can play TOMEnet, which is mmo-styled TOME.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

I'm a giant rear end in a top hat that doesn't look at subwindows.

Dunno why but I just massively prefer having something running from my desktop, even when I have internet access all the time.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think the best option for making an inventory that works that way is to have a section of the window show the items you're standing over. Then if you unequip something and can't carry it, it goes to the floor, but you can still interact with it because it's still on the screen.

Cataclysm's advanced(?) inventory window is staggeringly unintuitive but lets you do this stuff easily once you figure it out.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Axu continuing to bring the goods among the usual gains with the latest update:

https://cynapse077.itch.io/axu-rl

quote:

There are now some new story quests with the Ensis, Kin of the Deep, and Xul for you all to do. I've also added several new mutations, traits, and Vampirism! Vampirism is a pretty fun disease to catch. One large change in 0.5.3 is with enemies. They used to randomly use skills available to them, regardless of any cooldowns. This seemed unfair, as the player has to wait to use abilities.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
The best inventories are suitcase inventories a-la RE4 or Might and Magic VI-VIII.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

Tome's subwindows are really bad anyways, so not being able to use them would be no great loss.
The visible-item-list and visible-monster-list subwindows are probably the two most useful/important ones, but Tome2 doesn't even have the former, and the latter is ordered really terribly by distance or something instead of by level, so it's difficult to use it to figure out who the scary ones are in a screenful of detected baddies.
Monster recall is still a moderately useful window , and inventory/equipment/message displays are kind of convenient but not all that important.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Who wants to share in the loss of my best DCSS character/run?

:negative:

Needed more rF. Orbs of Fire don't gently caress around. An escape plan in general would've helped too.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I'm surprised you even made it that far with no cold. The draconians can be pretty brutal without good elemental resists. But yeah, I'd never do Zot 5 without at least 2 pips fire. 3 makes the Orbs mostly trivial even if your damage is low.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

spider wisdom posted:

Who wants to share in the loss of my best DCSS character/run?

:negative:

Needed more rF. Orbs of Fire don't gently caress around. An escape plan in general would've helped too.

Here are some tips for next time:

22 Stealth is way too much for anyone who's not a dedicated stabber. It's nice to have +++ or so Stealth just so you have a bit of flexibility in picking engagements, but as a Be not using Short Blades, you shouldn't be grabbing any more. Conversely, you absolutely SHOULD be training Dodging - especially if you're going to be wearing only chain mail while you have 32 strength. Even at -2 aptitude you should have at least double digit Dodging by Zot. Some Evocations would probably have also been a good idea, so you could try to burst the Death Cob at range before it slows you down. (You probably also could have made good use of that +Inv on your Battleaxe.)

As far as tactical concerns, you shouldn't die in those situations with a blink scroll or with Phial of Floods up - they both could have potentially saved your bacon. I don't know how much of a problem that a.lich was, but remember ?Silence stops them cold. Axe cleaving is fun but don't let it trick in to thinking seven things at once is a good idea.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you can do anything with high enough AC, resists be damned

just gotta be real careful

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This is not a case of skipping forward greatly in time.

What it is, though, is Infra Arcana getting ANOTHER substantial update to v19.1!

https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home

Spells, interface, Ghouls boosted---this is decently loaded indeed even compared to the big v19.0 just a short while back~

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

ExiledTinkerer posted:

This is not a case of skipping forward greatly in time.

What it is, though, is Infra Arcana getting ANOTHER substantial update to v19.1!

https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home

Spells, interface, Ghouls boosted---this is decently loaded indeed even compared to the big v19.0 just a short while back~

How the hell have I never tried this before? It's rad as hell.

gently caress flocks of ravens though. Cultists with tommy guns on the first floor can likewise eat poo poo.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Thank you to everyone who's been talking about 20XX. Just started checking it out and it's real good. Best megaman-esque :rimshot: game I've played in a while.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eela6 posted:

Thank you to everyone who's been talking about 20XX. Just started checking it out and it's real good. Best megaman-esque :rimshot: game I've played in a while.

I am just going to express my lack of satisfaction with the controllerless interface functionality.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

I am just going to express my lack of satisfaction with the controllerless interface functionality.

I can't imagine trying to play a modern platformer without a controller. I mean, I get that people do it, but the controller-using experience is almost always vastly better.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I can't imagine trying to play a modern platformer without a controller. I mean, I get that people do it, but the controller-using experience is almost always vastly better.

Yeah, but I have crappy luck picking out controllers. My favorite controller that always worked brilliantly is not supported under Windows 10. I don't play enough platformer games to really justifying another one.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, but I have crappy luck picking out controllers. My favorite controller that always worked brilliantly is not supported under Windows 10. I don't play enough platformer games to really justifying another one.

I've been pretty happy with the Logitech F710 -- it's not supported under win10 as such, but if you tell the OS it's actually an xbox one controller it'll work fine -- but I really wish they made a wired version.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I will say I wish that there were modern controllers with four shoulder buttons, instead of two shoulder buttons and two technically-analog trigger buttons. Practically nobody makes use of the analog triggers in any meaningful way, so they just become an extra two set of shoulder buttons, except with more resistance.

Also, those crappy circle-based D-pads are awful. The PS2 controller was the ideal for me in terms of ergonomics.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I will say I wish that there were modern controllers with four shoulder buttons, instead of two shoulder buttons and two technically-analog trigger buttons. Practically nobody makes use of the analog triggers in any meaningful way, so they just become an extra two set of shoulder buttons, except with more resistance.

Also, those crappy circle-based D-pads are awful. The PS2 controller was the ideal for me in terms of ergonomics.

A Wii U Pro Controller with the Mayflash adapter that makes it appear as an XBox controller is what you want my friend. The "triggers" are just digital buttons and it has a real D-pad. It's my favorite controller available for the PC right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

There are dual shock 2 to usb adaptors, you can still use a PS2 controller for many of your gaming needs.