Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I try not to post too many speedrun videos, but this one is too good not to share. Warning the video quality isn't the best but the strat is still crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14wzUWuKzV0

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

goddamn

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wow. I found myself incapable of beating 12/13 Data fights, so any speedrun impresses me, but that seemed particularly nuts. Is that really solely due to Berserk?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Yeah, it's only with the Beserk Charge Ability and Horizontal slashes (with maybe the extra keyblades helping out). Which is itself extremely hard because the repeated slashes are very very finicky to time perfectly. Apparently according to that guy, that strat is "harder than the xigbar and xaldin strats combined", so this strat may not get put into modern runs. But drat if it isn't cool as hell.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Finally played 0.2 and it's radical. I'm even more excited for 3 now.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I too played 0.2 and thought it was pretty neat. I had no idea it took place during KH1 so the ending came as a surprise. Then, the first and last cutscenes take place after DDD.

Some of the character models look a bit weird but I'm confident they'll fix that before KH3 is released. Or they'll fix it for the inevitable re-release.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I think the character models are perfectly fine. In areas with soft lighting they look amazing. It's only in areas with realistic lighting that they start looking kinda plastic and I hope KH3 avoids that type of shaders

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

They also seem to have already improved since 0.2, so I'm not that worried.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There's a sweet spot where Days, KH1, and 0.2 are all happening at the same time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SonicRulez posted:

There's a sweet spot where Days, KH1, and 0.2 are all happening at the same time.

Not to mention some of the flashbacks in KH2:FM as well

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Don't forget DDD!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm just about to start playing DDD. Should I play it on Proud or will it get really annoying like CoM on Proud? Can you unlock the secret ending without too much grinding on Standard Mode?

Edit: Oh and the boss-specific objectives in 0.2 are really, really annoying. As is reaching lvl 80, when you reach the last boss at lvl 60. Are there even any reasonable grinding spots? I beat it on Critical but there's no way I'll beat the secret boss at lvl 60.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 20, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Enemies towards the end of 3D sure like to stunlock you and hit you the second you try and do one of your moves that's has an insanely slow wind up for some reason

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Getting the Secret ending isn't too bad. It's the same system from ReCoded aka get a # of trophies and answer some questions in the ending correctly. There are some really easy trophies to get as well so I don't think it's too bad if you play on Standard, though beginner seems to require a ton of trophies. You might have to grind a bit for some things, but it doesn't look too bad.

Imo I think DDD is a lot more tolerable on Proud than ReCom, but I'm also not a fan of ReCom's systems. That said, I don't think Proud is any special in DDD either so no real reason not to just go with Standard

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the combat in 3D is the worst in the series (including CoM) because the enemies don't have anything to do with anything (I fight space demons and my girlfriend has been kidnapped by pirates & witches & genies, why would I have a nightmare about a bunny rabbit or a big eagle?) and all the attacks just feel weightless.

I got the mysterious stranger fight at the end of Riku's story on 3DS and realized that in order to progress i'd ideally grind up some good dreameaters and and stack cheesy moves and realized i hated that in BBS and i hate it even more here because its so much grindier.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The combat in 3D is pretty bad. So much stunlock. And it's one of those games where you gotta put the right poo poo together to get things like Once More and Second Chance. It was annoying in BBS, but it's even worse in 3D imo. I recently finished the version of 3D on PS4 and I just baaaaaaaaarely got the Secret Ending on Standard. I think you need 7 trophies. I had exactly 7 because I made sure to get every single treasure chest before I finished the game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Yes, you need 7 trophies for Standard, 5 for proud and none for Critical for the secret ending

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They fixed a lot of the stunlocking bs in DDD HD. They also made enemies less aggressive so you don't get rekt if an enemy blocks your attack (which was more frequent in he original version)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there a summary of relevant plot stuff from the mobile game anywhere?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there a summary of relevant plot stuff from the mobile game anywhere?

I don't think so but maybe this helps? This is a summary video for X, which was the PC browser game that the mobile game is based off of. If anyone cares about spoilers, it might spoil things that might happen in the mobile game later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMNC_jcrwrg

As far as I can remember right now, to summarize the new differences between the above and the mobile game are:

-We see the Dandelion's are also split into Unions and leaders. The leaders are Ephemer, Skuld, Ventus, some new guy called Blaine, and some new girl named Strelitzia. No, we don't know how or why Ventus is there.
-We learn that the Dandelions are planning to wipe out everyone's memories about the keyblade war when they split the worlds. At the request of Ava I think (maybe MoM asked too, can't remember).

And then there's Back Cover. I can't really think of any good way to summarize it because everything is just details about the 5 union leaders during all these events. Basically they had this idea early on about the traitor, and that slowly caused them to grow apart and diverge and distrust each other, leading to the war. We also see MoM directly and he seems kinda suspicious, and he ends up telling us that the evil eye in the Soul Eater/Xehanort's Keyblade/Luxu's Keyblade is his eye that sends him info across time.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I wanna see MoM come back and have the voice actor talk to himself as Noctis.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wanna see Nomura scrap everything that has been developed so far and make kH3 into a Japanese stage musical.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ventana posted:

I don't think so but maybe this helps? This is a summary video for X, which was the PC browser game that the mobile game is based off of. If anyone cares about spoilers, it might spoil things that might happen in the mobile game later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMNC_jcrwrg

As far as I can remember right now, to summarize the new differences between the above and the mobile game are:

-We see the Dandelion's are also split into Unions and leaders. The leaders are Ephemer, Skuld, Ventus, some new guy called Blaine, and some new girl named Strelitzia. No, we don't know how or why Ventus is there.
-We learn that the Dandelions are planning to wipe out everyone's memories about the keyblade war when they split the worlds. At the request of Ava I think (maybe MoM asked too, can't remember).

And then there's Back Cover. I can't really think of any good way to summarize it because everything is just details about the 5 union leaders during all these events. Basically they had this idea early on about the traitor, and that slowly caused them to grow apart and diverge and distrust each other, leading to the war. We also see MoM directly and he seems kinda suspicious, and he ends up telling us that the evil eye in the Soul Eater/Xehanort's Keyblade/Luxu's Keyblade is his eye that sends him info across time.

i know that what you wrote was a sentence with words and probably makes sense even just knowing the cliff notes of KH story, but holy poo poo this really does sound batshit insanity lol

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just started dream drop distance. What's the method to get insanely overpowered?

This dream eater belly rub mechanic seems like a massive chore.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kin posted:

I just started dream drop distance. What's the method to get insanely overpowered?

Power through until you get the T Rex

Power through harder until you get the Bone T-Rex

own the rest of the game in style and class

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kin posted:

Learn to pokemon and make good team compositions for the best combination of passives for Sora and useful skills for dream eaters. Also learning which nature to put your dream eaters in is also a good idea since some natures will make them aggresive, while others will turn them into healers/support.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So is Master of Masters Sora's MoM?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Linear Zoetrope posted:

So is Master of Masters Sora's MoM?

It's been 15+ years and Sora never went down for dinner. He is so grounded.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sora having actual parents he ditched is still one of the weirdest parts of the franchise. like seriously what happened to those poor guys? Do they think their son is dead? When he came back at the end of KH2 did he explain what he was doing?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Sora having actual parents he ditched is still one of the weirdest parts of the franchise. like seriously what happened to those poor guys? Do they think their son is dead? When he came back at the end of KH2 did he explain what he was doing?

I think that's why they introduced that weird amnesia subplot in 2

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I bet they were very upset with Sora for being so drat late for dinner. That food must have gotten cold!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sora's world in general seems weirdly defined, like in 2 you see Kairi hanging out with her friends and it looks kinda like the human world but then later I'm pretty sure Destiny Islands in one of the world's still sleeping in darkness or whatever so where was she? Also are we supposed to know how she got from Radiant Garden to there or is that one of the mysteries 3 is totally going to solve?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

On a related note its loving weird to me that Ursula went to Destiny Islands.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sakurazuka posted:

Sora's world in general seems weirdly defined, like in 2 you see Kairi hanging out with her friends and it looks kinda like the human world but then later I'm pretty sure Destiny Islands in one of the world's still sleeping in darkness or whatever so where was she? Also are we supposed to know how she got from Radiant Garden to there or is that one of the mysteries 3 is totally going to solve?

I think Aqua cast a protection spell on her to protect her pure heart in BBS which whisked her to Destiny Islands arbitrarily after Radiant Garden got consumed by darkness (why it didn't just whisk her to Traverse Town which is that place's like sole purpose is anyone's guess).

Also, the way I understand it all the worlds were restored at the end of KH1, but the sleeping worlds aren't "fully" restored yet, though they never really explain what that actually means.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Kairi was on Destiny Islands, it was the other island where they actually live. I think you even see the island from KH1 on the horizon. In KH1 you play on the island where they go out on their little boats to hang out together. It's kinda confusing because they didn't want to render an island they were never going to use, so all you see of the rest of destiny islands in KH1 is the inside of a house. Destiny Islands was fine in KH2, it didn't go anywhere.

Kairi ended up on Destiny Islands because of Princess of Light magic or whatever.

Raxivace posted:

that was like a hologram or something idk

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

When did this happen?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

drrockso20 posted:

When did this happen?

The tutorial in KH3D is Sora and Riku on rafts in Dream Destiny Islands fighting Ursula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Raxivace posted:

That was like a dream or something anyways