Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I may have overdone it this weekend. Two range sessions, 18 walking, 18 riding all in 98+ degrees with high humidity. Fuckin florida man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

Sure looks like a 341 yard iron off the tee.

And then he stuck his approach to less than 2 feet.

jeeeeeeeeeesus :stare:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo

what is he hitting there? some long iron?

Driving iron, Callaway Apex UT 16*

39 foot apex is hilarious.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

https://www.pgatour.com/video/2017/08/20/ollie-schniederjans-closes-in-impressive-fashion-at-wyndham.html

:stare:

:allbuttons:

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 21, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fuuuuuuuuuuck that's some tasty stuff

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I can't get over that shot. There's GUNS that don't shoot that flat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that's amazing. I'd love to see driving irons come back into vogue

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DJExile posted:

I play a driving three iron and it's loving awesome. I also don't hit it 340 yards though.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

I can't see myself using one. Obviously Ollie is hitting a saucy stinger here (there's also a stinger driver video of his somewhere), but I ain't got the strength to hit a driving iron and have it carry an appropriate distance. I need that carry.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Love that stinger shot! My Taylor Made UDI 2 iron goes maybe 230meters but I get similar height to a 3 wood. That distance he got was insane.

In other news, still waiting on the Ping iBlades :sweatdrop: They were ready on the 8th but were made in the US of A. Takes ~2 weeks to arrive here in Oz.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I had a very rare round of golf yesterday morning. I woke up early for a 7:45 tee time at a local links style course near my house. Checked in at the pro shop and the guy said I'll want to join the group in front of me because I was stuck in between two two-somes, that were each riding(and I was walking). I didn't really want to though because I was 15 minutes early and wanted some time to stretch/warm up.

I walk to the first tee and ask the starter if he minds if I just join them once I catch up to them, but I'd really like to stretch a bit. He agrees and says that it's actually a threesome in front of me, so yeah, I'll probably catch them.

I waited for them to clear the green before hitting my approach, then I never had to wait for them again. It was crazy. I got stuck behind a rare group of golfers that know how to play fast. I was then concerned that the two-some behind me would catch me since I was walking. But they were really slow.

So it happens, I walked 18 holes, on a Sunday morning, on a beautiful day and never once had to wait to hit a shot, and never had to rush to keep in front of the group behind me. I even had time to jump into the woods a few times to look for balls(I found about 50).

This is the first time I've played a links style course this year and man, they just suit me so much better than parkland courses. I did not hit the ball well off the tee whatsoever, but still shot 76. I hit 8 greens, but was on the fringe near the hole 4 times. I am pretty comfortable recovering from rough/sand/fescue, I just find it a lot less penal than being stuck behind a 90 year old oak tree with no options but to punch the ball sideways.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So I have 100 bucks on Amazon and I'm thinking I want new golf shoes.

I'm kind of liking what I see with the FootJoy Freestyle's. Anyone have them? If so do you like them? Or should I be looking elsewhere.

Sometimes I walk, sometimes I ride.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I got to hang out with my buddy this weekend who caddies on the Tour after they played 9 weeks in a row and he had all kinds of insight as to what drug Spieth is using to grow his hair back, how cool Pat Perez is, and why he thinks Phil is undeserving of a President's Cup captain's pick spot.

But we went bowling and he bowled a 223 so I'm just gonna stick to golf with him from now on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

So I have 100 bucks on Amazon and I'm thinking I want new golf shoes.

I'm kind of liking what I see with the FootJoy Freestyle's. Anyone have them? If so do you like them? Or should I be looking elsewhere.

Sometimes I walk, sometimes I ride.

My dad had a pair of them and liked them. As long as you like the style, it's pretty hard to go wrong with almost anything Footjoy makes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DJExile posted:

My dad had a pair of them and liked them. As long as you like the style, it's pretty hard to go wrong with almost anything Footjoy makes.

To be honest I don't like the style of any golf shoes, but they're ok. Not doing the blue/orange though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

We had the Tallahassee Open tournament this past weekend. The top amateur championship flight was won by a 13 year old who shot 73/71 :stonk: He beat some of the folks in the pro flight.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus :stare:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Daric posted:

I got to hang out with my buddy this weekend who caddies on the Tour after they played 9 weeks in a row and he had all kinds of insight as to what drug Spieth is using to grow his hair back, how cool Pat Perez is, and why he thinks Phil is undeserving of a President's Cup captain's pick spot.

But we went bowling and he bowled a 223 so I'm just gonna stick to golf with him from now on.

I'm sorry this is being ignored. Tell me more. :f5::munch:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh poo poo i totally missed that

yeah daric give us the stories

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Finasteride is apparently the name of the drug. Apparently it only affects the hair on your head somehow.

I know I've said it like 100 times in this thread but my friend is Patrick Reed's caddy/brother-in-law and they've been playing a lot lately. They finished 2nd in the PGA last weekend though so it's been worth it.

He said Pat Perez is hilarious and likes to talk trash to the Spring Break crew. He thinks Phil is going to get a captain's pick to the President's Cup strictly because of his career as a whole even though he hasn't been playing well since he ditched Bones. He likes Phil though, just thinks that spot should go to someone who's playing better right now. He also said DJ is dumb as rocks (and so is Paulina) but that DJ's caddy (his brother) is hilarious and pretty sharp. He said one of those tournaments that DJ won recently was on a course he hadn't played before and AJ didn't even walk the course to be able to tell him anything. He just went out there blind and won the thing.

Daric fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 21, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

Finasteride is apparently the name of the drug. Apparently it only affects the hair on your head somehow.

I know I've said it like 100 times in this thread but my friend is Patrick Reed's caddy/brother-in-law and they've been playing a lot lately. They finished 2nd in the PGA last weekend though so it's been worth it.

I remember you now! You're the one who got that insanely rad Ryder Cup flag with everyone's autograph aren't you?

E: YOU ARE :toot:

Daric posted:

I know I've mentioned this a couple of times in the thread already but Patrick Reed's caddy, Kessler, has been one of my best friends for the last 22 years.

He is insanely generous, always going out of his way to do things for other people and I know since he got the job as Pat's caddy that a couple of my other friends have taken advantage of it. They're constantly asking him for stuff from every tournament he goes to and so I've made sure that I've never asked him for anything. He's my friend and I'd never want to make him feel obligated to do things for me just because he has a cool job.

So I was completely surprised when he said he had something for me at his Christmas party last night.

This is probably the single most thoughtful gift I have ever received. The fact that he thought of me while he was out there, as crazy as that weekend was, and got everyone to sign it for me just blows me away. I'm going to cherish this thing for the rest of my life.

I hope all of y'all have as merry a Christmas as I am!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Daric posted:

He said one of those tournaments that DJ won recently was on a course he hadn't played before and AJ didn't even walk the course to be able to tell him anything. He just went out there blind and won the thing.

please tell me he was coked up too

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Daric posted:

He also said DJ is dumb as rocks (and so is Paulina)

Can confirm. I'm friends with a couple of different guys who are members at Sherwood CC, where Wayne Gretzky is also a member, and all of them constantly tell the same story about how Wayne makes fun of Dustin for being somehow dumber than Paulina and how he needs to continuously monitor what both of them are doing so they don't murder his grandchildren.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
My buddy and I played a twilight round earlier tonight and came away with 7 pro v1s found in the rough throughout the round. Two were in the same shanked spot and personalized with the same dudes last name lol. Brings my found V1/v1x total this season to a full dozen. Best marketing in golf.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Dr. Capco posted:

My buddy and I played a twilight round earlier tonight and came away with 7 pro v1s found in the rough throughout the round. Two were in the same shanked spot and personalized with the same dudes last name lol. Brings my found V1/v1x total this season to a full dozen. Best marketing in golf.

But if they weren't the best ball they wouldn't be the most played on tour!!!!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I will play Supersofts until Callaway decides for some insane reason to stop making them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

I will play Supersofts until Callaway decides for some insane reason to stop making them.

I tried a sleeve in Scotland and was really happy with them. RIP the Diablo Tour though :(

E: I did also dig into the remaining Titleist DT So-Los i had. holy gently caress those are butter soft.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/preps/2017/07/19/upswing-youth-golfer-parker-bell-fires-winning-frequently/103847026/

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Wow!

How is Tallahassee these days? I went to FSU for grad school GO NOLES

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Wow!

How is Tallahassee these days? I went to FSU for grad school GO NOLES

Hot as gently caress. Killearn closed the narrows course and sold off that swath of land, Hilaman(muni) has been improving by leaps and bounds, Seminole is decent, but is getting a Nicklaus redesign next year, Southwood is still the best public course really, Golden Eagle being the top private once. Cap city CC is still around and still a pain in the rear end.

Plenty to choose from. :)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Pins cut on slopes are dumb and bad. You should not have to start a 3' putt six inches outside of the hole. Ugh.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Despite my issues with hitting off the toe, I've been crushing it in leagues lately. I decided to spend the last two days at the range to work on hitting off the toe. I think I have found the answer after trying various tips from YouTube.

#1. Bad posture at address. I may have been rounding my shoulders. I changed my routine by adding a two checkpoints to make sure I'm bending at the waist (and not sticking my rear end out) and unlocking my knees.

#2. Open shoulders at address. I am supposed to be setting up with closed shoulders, but when I did a check I found that a club laid accross my chest at address would point left. I added another checkpoint to my routine.

#3. I hit 3 buckets over two days doing a two ball drill. Setup on the close ball, then hit the ball farther away. I also used a dry erase marker on the range ball so I could see where it was hitting the club face. Good progress so far.

So now my new routine is
1) choose precise target to shoot at. Usually a branch on a tree.
2) Line up target with ball by standing 10 yards behind ball
3) Set spine tilt
4) Set knee bend
5) Set shoulders
6) Practice Swing
7) Set spine tilt
8) Set knee bend
9) Set shoulders
10) Hit ball

As I write it out, it seems like a lot of steps, but it's actually goes pretty quick. I think it helps get my mind in the right state as well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

daslog posted:

Despite my issues with hitting off the toe, I've been crushing it in leagues lately. I decided to spend the last two days at the range to work on hitting off the toe. I think I have found the answer after trying various tips from YouTube.

#1. Bad posture at address. I may have been rounding my shoulders. I changed my routine by adding a two checkpoints to make sure I'm bending at the waist (and not sticking my rear end out) and unlocking my knees.

#2. Open shoulders at address. I am supposed to be setting up with closed shoulders, but when I did a check I found that a club laid accross my chest at address would point left. I added another checkpoint to my routine.

#3. I hit 3 buckets over two days doing a two ball drill. Setup on the close ball, then hit the ball farther away. I also used a dry erase marker on the range ball so I could see where it was hitting the club face. Good progress so far.

So now my new routine is
1) choose precise target to shoot at. Usually a branch on a tree.
2) Line up target with ball by standing 10 yards behind ball
3) Set spine tilt
4) Set knee bend
5) Set shoulders
6) Practice Swing
7) Set spine tilt
8) Set knee bend
9) Set shoulders
10) Hit ball

As I write it out, it seems like a lot of steps, but it's actually goes pretty quick. I think it helps get my mind in the right state as well.

You can get some of these to see where you're making impact.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

http://www.golfadvisor.com/BubbasRoadTrip/

I know Bubba gets a lot of hate here, but I would piss myself if I won this. I've played all those courses and holy poo poo when I don't win l, because let's be honest I never win poo poo, maybe I can find out when he's gonna be at those course and coincidently make a tee time the same day lol

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

daslog posted:

Is sticking your rear end out a bad thing? I feel like when I bend at the waist and bend at the knees, it is sorta inevitable. I definitely feel like I'm planting my weight down on my rear end, but it also feels a bit out.

Not sure that makes sense

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Your butt should stick out a little but you shouldn't arch your back like you're twerking

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Josh Lyman posted:

Your butt should stick out a little but you shouldn't arch your back like you're twerking

Ok good, I'm definitely not doing that. I'm sure twerking would break some etiquette rules

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sataere posted:

Ok good, I'm definitely not doing that. I'm sure twerking would break some etiquette rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tN1Z4K4o2Q

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I ended up getting a pair of Adidas Gripmore 2s and holy hell they are really nice. This is my first pair of spikeless shoes. Can't wait to use them next weekend. They fit like a glove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

That was a hell of a win for DJ. Holy poo poo that drive on 18 in sudden death.