Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm doing a little bit of shopping for a friend. I picked up the Samsung KS8000 back in january and love it. I was looking in that area again, but wondering what the current "go to" is for samsung with HDR. Budget is max $2500 and preferably 55" minimum, so I don't think it'll be too hard to find something. I guess just what to avoid, or if there's anything particularly noteworthy to check out.
AFAIK the current "go to" for Samsung is "don't bother". Thread consensus seems to be that there are better alternatives to all their current offerings and their quality control has been lacking.

LCDs range from the TCL P607, to the Sony X900E, and the X930E. On the higher end the LG C7/B7 OLEDs are solid.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-features/hdr is a solid guide for current stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If said friend has anyone who's a veteran in their family, look into AAFES. Registering for their website gets you a 17% off promo code good for two weeks, and I was able to snag a 55" X930E for $1244 with no tax, shipped free.

Oh, and I found out something recently - you can buy SquareTrade warranties through Costco, even if you don't buy the *television* through Costco. Better yet, the coverage kicks in *after* the manufacturer's warranty cuts off. $89.99 for three years.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 22, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF the 70" Vizio E series is down to $1699 at Costco in Canada now, I guess probably $1689 in store then if it follows the trend of the prices I've seen online before. So tempted to just sign up for the drat mastercard and buy it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I saw on Amazon that the TCL 55'' has dropped down to 400 with free shipping from prime. I'm currently using a 32" Samsung that's a few years old but I've read a lot of good and a lot of bad about TCL. Can someone help me be not terrified and or terrified to buy this tv? Also I have poo poo rural internet but only plan to use the TV as a giant monitor for my PC, will that be an issue? Am I required to use the Roku junk or can I just change the input to "PC" and not have to deal with it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's not THE TCL. That appears to be the S405, not the P607.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

What is the difference? Is it notable? Because I'm in at 400 bucks if the other model is good but 600 is out of my price range. My last 55" was an Emerson that died on me after only 5 years of use. I just want a big, affordable, reliable tv again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Differences are pretty huge.

The S405, while supporting HDR, doesn't really get bright enough to actually use it. The P607 gets almost 6 times brighter. The S405 also doesn't support wide color gamut.

So, essentially, it's not a UHD TV. It's really just a normal TV with a 4k panel in it.

It also doesn't have any local dimming so it can't get the black levels or contrast that the P607 has.

$400 at 55" is pretty tough, though. I can't really think of a standout product at that intersection of price and size, they are all going to be pretty much "throw dart at the wall and hope it's ok." $600 is really the point where you aren't compromising on features and get a true UHD TV.

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
As someone with pretty sensitive eyes, should I even bother with UHD? I watch everything on dark settings. I got the S405, thinking it was the other model but like the tv so far.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

UHD owns and is more about specific parts of the screen being brighter than the entire screen being brighter. I think well-done UHD 1080p is better than non-UHD 4k.

That's a bit of a moot point right now, though, because all the UHD devices are 4K anyways.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm needing a secondary 55"+ for my living room for football season. Doesn't even need to be 4K cause it won't get used anywhere near as much as my main lovely beautiful KS8000.

I could get away with $200 or so for a 1080P, right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Have you seen anything that big for $200? I've seen a 43 or so for around that amount, and I'm in the market for something cheap for outdoor use. Don't need anything special because I'm sure it won't have a massive lifespan.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have you seen anything that big for $200? I've seen a 43 or so for around that amount, and I'm in the market for something cheap for outdoor use. Don't need anything special because I'm sure it won't have a massive lifespan.

You'd be surprised, my 42" Panasonic plasma has survived 3 North Dakota winters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm the other end of the spectrum, heat and humidity. But it's under a hard deck and the people here before had an old Vizio hooked up and said they never had a problem.

Certainly ain't paying $2,500 for a outdoor specific TV that might last a year or two more than a $200 one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any preference on an external tuner? Can you watch live antenna TV through a Tivo?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
LG 55-Inch B7A OLED 4K HDR Smart TV on Massdrop for $1600 free shipping in US.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-55-b7-oled-4k-hdr-smart-tv?utm_source=linkshare&referer=L253GG

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

TomR posted:

LG 55-Inch B7A OLED 4K HDR Smart TV on Massdrop for $1600 free shipping in US.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-55-b7-oled-4k-hdr-smart-tv?utm_source=linkshare&referer=L253GG

poo poo!! I really wish my insurance company would make a decision in the next 5 days. I'd already come to terms with the fact that I might have to wait until next June to find another one at that price, but I'll be all over this if I know for sure I'll be compensated for my loss. I put my old Samsung back up on the wall, and it's just terrible. Big splotchy gray spots whenever the screen is black. There is no way in hell I'd settle for anything less than OLED quality now that I've had it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

Any preference on an external tuner? Can you watch live antenna TV through a Tivo?

Some TiVo models will accept an antenna and some won't, you'll need to check for the specific model you're interested in.

If you're thinking of shelling out for a TiVo you may also consider an Nvidia Shield and supported USB tuner

Rastor fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 26, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is the only way to get tv screenshots off LGs webOS to put a USB stick in then put it into a computer? It's a useful function as I'm always resorting to taking bad photos of stupid things on my tv screen, but that's a little long winded.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Looking for a few opinions from you guys. A few weeks ago I decided it was finally time to upgrade our ~8-10 year old 37" Vizio. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the LG OLEDs, specifically the 65C7P. The biggest hold up for me right now is that we will most likely be moving from our rented apartment to a house within the next one to two years. The OLEDs are so thin that they seem fragile as all hell, and moving one could be a pain. I also hear from people saying to just wait so I can better judge the space, but I feel as though a 65" will work in most spaces we'd be interested in.

My other option is to pick up a budget 55" like the TCL 55P607 now, and then whenever we move eventually shift that to a secondary room and upgrade to an OLED. Any thoughts?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Radioactive Toy posted:

Looking for a few opinions from you guys. A few weeks ago I decided it was finally time to upgrade our ~8-10 year old 37" Vizio. It didn't take long for me to fall in love with the LG OLEDs, specifically the 65C7P. The biggest hold up for me right now is that we will most likely be moving from our rented apartment to a house within the next one to two years. The OLEDs are so thin that they seem fragile as all hell, and moving one could be a pain. I also hear from people saying to just wait so I can better judge the space, but I feel as though a 65" will work in most spaces we'd be interested in.

My other option is to pick up a budget 55" like the TCL 55P607 now, and then whenever we move eventually shift that to a secondary room and upgrade to an OLED. Any thoughts?

If you keep the box you can just move it that way when you're ready to move. As long as you transport it how it should be then it shouldn't be an issue.

However, OLED will continue to make some more jumps in technology over the next couple of years so you could pick up the latest and greatest then or the year old model at a good discount. I guess it just depends if you want the best now or later.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I've got 1000 bucks to spend on a TV in the 55 inch range anyone have some advice?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Womyn Capote posted:

I've got 1000 bucks to spend on a TV in the 55 inch range anyone have some advice?

TCL P series. I have one and it's fabulous.

TCL 55P607 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Now the 65" OLED TV is on for $2600 https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-65-inch-b7a-oled-4k-hdr-smart-tv?utm_source=linkshare&referer=L253GG

Too bad they won't ship to Canada.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

TCL P series. I have one and it's fabulous.

TCL 55P607 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y6FSV5Q/

TCL is legit? Who are they?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

FogHelmut posted:

TCL is legit? Who are they?

Roku TV people. This specific model has ended up being a great budget tv.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

havenwaters posted:

Roku TV people. This specific model has ended up being a great budget tv.

So it's better than anything approaching $1000? I imagine you'd have to approach $1500 to do better?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

So it's better than anything approaching $1000? I imagine you'd have to approach $1500 to do better?

I don't know all the technicalities of the brand but what I do know is that handily replaced my Pioneer Kuro plasma. It literally looks like OLED to me. Outstanding set in my opinion.

And yes I've seen OLED. I nearly bought one but it wasn't worth 3 times the cost. The TCL is not as good obviously, but it's drat close for the price.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

At 55" pretty much. There probably are TVs with better image quality (and the speakers on the TCL aren't that good supposedly) but the Roku beats a lot of those TVs due to it's other features (real low input lag, dolby vision hdr support, a roku is built into it, etc)

It also gets nice and bright for SDR stuff and bright enough for HDR stuff. There are brighter TVs obviously and better TVs in general but the X900E (Sony) is $1300. The X930E (also sony) is way above that. Most Samsung tvs this year have had Quality Control issues from what I've been reading. The OLEDs are great but are out of your price range.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The TCL and the Vizio M are pretty comparable in image quality. The Vizio M will likely have better uniformity. The TCL is incredible value, but they are a bit more inconsistent with QC.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm looking for a friend, she ruled out Vizio because it doesn't have a built in tuner and she doesn't want to mess with that. Leaning heavily on the TCL right now, I had no idea, I had initially written them off as some Chinese Walmart brand.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

I'm looking for a friend, she ruled out Vizio because it doesn't have a built in tuner and she doesn't want to mess with that. Leaning heavily on the TCL right now, I had no idea, I had initially written them off as some Chinese Walmart brand.

Fair, usually they end up being a half a step above those instead of "best cheap 55" 4k tv"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Zeroing in on the Sony OLED offering...What are the odds of the retailers having some kind of Labor Day sale? Conversely, should I stay away from Sony's 65 inch premium offering?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buy the lg c7

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

poisonpill posted:

Zeroing in on the Sony OLED offering...What are the odds of the retailers having some kind of Labor Day sale? Conversely, should I stay away from Sony's 65 inch premium offering?
Buy an LG and then just send me the extra $2k you were going to spend on the Sony.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Samsung 55" UN55MU6300F is the same price as the TCL at the moment. I know people poo poo talk Samsung but at the same price which is a better deal?

We've had a Samsung Smart TV for 5ish? years that is starting to go out and I wanted to replace it with something that does 4k HDR all that jazz but we aren't very picky about quality otherwise so interested in something on the cheaper end.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

lol thanks dudes, I'll give LG another look.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Samsung 55" UN55MU6300F is the same price as the TCL at the moment. I know people poo poo talk Samsung but at the same price which is a better deal?

We've had a Samsung Smart TV for 5ish? years that is starting to go out and I wanted to replace it with something that does 4k HDR all that jazz but we aren't very picky about quality otherwise so interested in something on the cheaper end.

Samsung bricked a whole bunch of the MU tvs this week with a software update. Not sure if that one specifically.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Plugging in a USB drive into the TCL enables pausing of live (OTA antenna) TV. Maybe I'm a simpleton, but that's pretty neat.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
BrandsmartUSA has the 65b7a oled for $1999 right now. B&M only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FogHelmut posted:

They started out (and kind of still are) a Chinese low budget brand. But they've slowly been upping their game and when Roku decided to partner with them well that rising tide raised all boats.

Now, as others have said, the P series (and even the S4XX series - don't go S3XX) are some of the best budget TVs.