Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Plek posted:

I will never understand why you are so upset about save file size beyond it being an indicator that they don't know how RAM works. Or I guess they're trying to keep system spec requirements down for some dumbshit reason.

It's a posterboy for their big list of "We promise we will fix that stupid thing, honest." That has a nice tangible number attached to it to see how well those claims hold up which you can't wheedle out of except with "Well gosh, why do you care?"

Meanwhile, oh man Sea Dragon Aggro has been ramped up quite a lot. It's been steadily escalating through "Annoying" constantly humping and knocking 90 degrees engines off Cyclops (for no damage). Through seeing me leave my outpost from 160 meters away to rush over and shoot fireballs at little scuba man..

To "Outright detrimental" repeatedly attacking me while my Engines are turned off anyways.

A bit hard to "Just wait out the aggro" When it's attacking with the engines turned off. As well, leaving with my welder to fix things is somewhat irritating when it loves to rub it's face up against the airlock exits :v:

Meanwhile. Thermal reactor is still as busted as it was before the Ghost update.

Okay. So turns out the Thermal reactors are STILL the whole "300 minutes to recharge your Ion Cells, parked over 70+ degrees lava, with the engines off" situation. Which is a downgrade from the prior "50 minutes" it was before they announced on their dev trello "We buffed the reactor by 50%!"

Regular power cells: About one energy per three Mississippi seconds. Usually Four seconds going by my fancy dancy digital watch kids these days forget exist.

For 1,500 energy. And being generous and calling it 3 instead of 4. That's 4,500 seconds. Roughly 75 minutes to Recharge REGULAR power cells when you're essentially leaving your Cyclops turned off AFK (Up from a previous 20 minutes).

Ion power cells: Also roughly one energy every three Mississippi seconds, four going by my watch.

For 6,000 energy, again being generous and using the three second ETA rather than four. That's 18,000 seconds. AKA, 300 minutes (Up from a previous 50.).

I reported this well before the Ghost update went live. Alas :v: Makes them listing better thermal reactors that much more funny, given they are three times worse than the previous live build.

Light Edit: Oh right. Regular cells are 1,200 energy. But OP title remains valid.

1,200x3= 3,600 seconds. = 60 minutes. Up from 20.

endlessmonotony posted:

How big is a fresh save file?

Fresh save files have always been tiny. As the build up of save file size is when the big stack of 1 kilobyte cage files get more and more 2000-7000+ kilobyte files sprinkled in.

Even if you clear your cache, if you are in the late game stages these will readily fill right back up as you travel through the assorted biomes and plot locations. But no joke cutting down 2 gig save files to 1 gig save files is indeed progress. Even if it's a "Here is your shiny gold sticker" sort of progress.

EDIT: My new bug report thread for the 300 minutes charge times has of course, immediately attracted "Who cares you can just get infinite ion crystals anyways!" posters. With the bonus irony that if I bring up "You can walk to the base and back with fresh ion crystals" as a sign of how bad the reactor is, then it's wrong to bring up the crystals :v:

So Crystals only valid point if you want to deny anything is wrong with the reactor, I guess.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Because they're doing some seriously dumb poo poo with the save files. Read up.

Read up what? From this thread it sounds like they're saving data to and from the save file during play; other than being kinda dumb on its own I don't see how this is a problem beyond being a poo poo way of using game data mid-game.

Section Z posted:

It's a posterboy for their big list of "We promise we will fix that stupid thing, honest." That has a nice tangible number attached to it to see how well those claims hold up which you can't wheedle out of except with "Well gosh, why do you care?"

Ok, yeah, fair enough. It is a fuckoff terrible way of doing what they claim to be doing.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
e: oops. Quote is not the edit button, turns out.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Plek posted:

Read up what? From this thread it sounds like they're saving data to and from the save file during play; other than being kinda dumb on its own I don't see how this is a problem beyond being a poo poo way of using game data mid-game.

They're duplicating the save file during play for faster access. On your main drive. Which they presume is a SSD.

Section Z posted:

Fresh save files have always been tiny. As the build up of save file size is when the big stack of 1 kilobyte cage files get more and more 2000-7000+ kilobyte files sprinkled in.

Even if you clear your cache, if you are in the late game stages these will readily fill right back up as you travel through the assorted biomes and plot locations. But no joke cutting down 2 gig save files to 1 gig save files is indeed progress. Even if it's a "Here is your shiny gold sticker" sort of progress.

That's not what I asked. I want to know how much smaller a save is under this patch versus the previous patch, preferably after a substantial chunk of play.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

endlessmonotony posted:

I want to know how much smaller a save is under this patch versus the previous patch, preferably after a substantial chunk of play.

Play a substantial chunk and let us know. It's been out a day.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

They're duplicating the save file during play for faster access. On your main drive. Which they presume is a SSD.

That's not what I asked. I want to know how much smaller a save is under this patch versus the previous patch, preferably after a substantial chunk of play.

Zesty posted:

Play a substantial chunk and let us know. It's been out a day.

Yes. I'd be honestly glad to hear what a fresh "I played the whole plot, visited all islands and bases, sought out lifepods instead of consoling in their data boxes, made at least one base, and visited at least half the extraneous biomes" save would look like. Because anyone can play a pittance, rush the plot points, and say "See, it's smaller!" because of course not playing the game would mean a smaller save file, at all stages of the development.

I'm already fairly burned out having to fight incredibly clingy sea dragons and physics failures only to discover "We buffed X! And by that we mean we ported the fact we broke it hard into live! (Even though you warned us two weeks ago)" all within 200 meters of the containment facility.

For what it's worth, my 2.2 gig (now 1.05ish) save was created fresh from a previous time time people were screaming at me "But they are SMALLER now! See my save file is smaller so there". Only to find they were very much not smaller if you actually played the game like a normal person.

So I'm not being sarcastic when I say "It's down to ONE gig now, holy poo poo!" because that's the first honest to god real sign of them doing a goddamned thing on the front I've seen. That wasn't just some rear end in a top hat smugly proclaiming "Didn't you know? Save files are smaller now :smug:" and then demand I play the whole game an nth time to prove them wrong, and then have my findings ignored anyways because who cares, you've got a big hard drive right?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 22, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Wasn't the whole thermal recharge thing meant to be a supplement to your Cyclops energy rather than an outright requirement? I haven't played since the Ion Batteries so I don't know if the slow recharge time is actually detrimental.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Thor-Stryker posted:

Wasn't the whole thermal recharge thing meant to be a supplement to your Cyclops energy rather than an outright requirement? I haven't played since the Ion Batteries so I don't know if the slow recharge time is actually detrimental.

Before and after the patches to how shields, silent running, etc work, regular power cells drain dry super fast for using any Cyclops utilities beyond simply driving the thing. Even the sonar is an energy hog.

Ion Cells you can spam the hell out of your utilities by comparison, so whether or not the thermal reactor is worth a drat things are currently more a matter of "Regular cells suck. Ions let you actually use anything".

However, a single 6 pack of Ion power cells on top of unlocking them needs 12 total ion crystals. Which is a shitload of ion crystals given you also need them to craft more artifacts, they are used to activate portals, and hey maybe you want something for your propulsion gun or Prawn suit.

The usual response for such concerns in materials and "Recharging them takes a loving long time" is "But you can get an infinite supply from the containment facility, so who cares?" But the containment facility is the final alien base in the game. It's the endpoint. It's the last place you can go before it's time to U turn and leave to look for plant samples, go back to the gun base, and eventually revisit the Aurora to unlock the rocket plans once that is implemented. So balancing around the infinite crystal supply is just shy of balancing around NG+

The Devs have said the Thermal reactor is supposed to be good, at the very least not get chumped by lava larva so even with the reactor installed and your engines off regular power cells could potentially get drained dry anyways in the less hot inactive lava zone (Which players still defended was 'working as intended'). Devs have said to "Give it a chance, it's not as bad as you said" over worries it would take 10 minutes to recharge, back when it took 20 minutes with the engines off and no larva to refill regulars instead of 60. Devs are even attempting, to patch it to suck less. If failing miserably and turning "Patch notes. +50% more efficient!" into three times longer recharge times instead well before they decided to port that bug into live anyways.

So. Theory. Reactors are supposed to matter. Practice. Even at the best they have ever been (Which was last patch's "50 minutes best case scenario" for Ions) you're better off just crafting a billion regular power cells ahead of time. Because even going AFK (provided you don't starve to death via console cheats or freedom mode) means you can watch two out of three Back to the Future movies before your empty Ions refill. Including time to read posts about how great that is from the playerbase.

I expect the increased apparent aggro in dragons, and the introduction of Ghost levis to more areas, is to discourage simply walking with your Prawn and using your cyclops regardless of how well it performs. As I've seen someone posting that ghost levis give no fucks about their seamoth perimeter defense module and still ate their seamoth, for example. Though hopefully that is simply an apparent bug, much like how hopefully Sea Dragons kicking the poo poo out of my cyclops even though I turned off the engines while silent running was on is pretty please let it be a bug despite players already saying that's totally got to be intended because hardcore I guess.

Despite it all. I keep expecting things to be fixed with each major patch. They certainly brag loud enough about how hard they are fixing things after all. Which makes it all the more exhausting to instead see "Okay... Okay... Sea Dragons may be punching my Cyclops in half even with the engines turned off now. But at least they must have fixed thermals for the live build rather than leaving them as buggy as I reported two weeks ago-they put it in live. They put 'We buffed the reactor! Which means it's x3 times as long to recharge as the last build' into live." :downsgun:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 22, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Section Z posted:

Yes. I'd be honestly glad to hear what a fresh "I played the whole plot, visited all islands and bases, sought out lifepods instead of consoling in their data boxes, made at least one base, and visited at least half the extraneous biomes" save would look like. Because anyone can play a pittance, rush the plot points, and say "See, it's smaller!" because of course not playing the game would mean a smaller save file, at all stages of the development.

My few-hours test-saves with the same amount of play were about 1/10th of the size. I don't have time for a quite a bit of the future.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Jesus christ, the power consumption of the Cyclops is beyond insane, drains it's power generator far faster than the Sea Moth/Sea Glide/Prawn Suit uses it's single battery/power core. And on silent running? Forget about it.

Lol, i seriously don't get their obsession with making this thing as obnoxious as possible, they need to stop eating glue.

Edit: actually it seems that every time the sonar pings it uses up 1% of the total energy, that's the insane powerdrain im experiencing. i still stand by my statement that they are retarded tho

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 22, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are you not immersed?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Digirat posted:

Are you not immersed?

Of course i am! The game takes place under the sea!

heeeeheeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hehhhh

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
If anyone is tracking this, my save from July 3rd went from 1.79 gigs to 651 megs when I loaded and faffed about today.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Plek posted:

If anyone is tracking this, my save from July 3rd went from 1.79 gigs to 651 megs when I loaded and faffed about today.

Nobody's really tracking that part - it's the newly made saves in the latest patch, and how much smaller they are in comparison.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Dongattack posted:

Jesus christ, the power consumption of the Cyclops is beyond insane, drains it's power generator far faster than the Sea Moth/Sea Glide/Prawn Suit uses it's single battery/power core. And on silent running? Forget about it.

Lol, i seriously don't get their obsession with making this thing as obnoxious as possible, they need to stop eating glue.

Edit: actually it seems that every time the sonar pings it uses up 1% of the total energy, that's the insane powerdrain im experiencing. i still stand by my statement that they are retarded tho

This is super disappointing to read. I haven't played Subnautica since they added the sonar to the cyclops (which I found had varying degrees of usefulness) but yeah even then it drained 1% power per ping which is absurd.

I really don't like hearing that silent running is a constant power drain since, as I understand it, it is the only way to actually make progress past the swarms of bullshit you encounter. And someone else was posting that it doesn't even work against all the aggressive sea life?

Hopefully they'll get their poo poo together and fix the power drain and recharge rate.

At this stage in the game's development, how are you meant to get past the big lava behemoth thing to get ion crystals? That's been a constant question that I've had and I've never seen an answer. I also haven't tried it because I just don't want to deal with the monotony of having to gently caress around with the stupid cyclops any longer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Well they removed some monsters from the list that will attack the cyclops (bone sharks being the most common) so I imagine you don't need silent running quite so constantly anymore

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I found an amazing bug. If you stand on top of the physics-enabled rocks on the islands and then pick them up with the Propulsion Cannon, you can launch yourself into the stratosphere. I was trying to see if I could land on top of the facility somehow, but it's not that easy to control - so far my best lob has been throwing myself so far out to sea that the island faded back into the fog.

It looks like the cause of this is that the rocks are arranged so that they are partially submerged into the ground. When you use the Propulsion Cannon on them, the games physics sees them intersecting with the ground and spazzes out a little to correct it. The smaller rocks will often just fall through the ground entirely (you can even drag them back through to the surface as long as you don't let go!), while the larger ones send you flying. It only works once per rock - once they've corrected their relationship with the earth, they're just a normal physics object.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dongattack posted:

They should add the option to stick your head out the window and scream instead of making the submarine do it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Voyager I posted:

I found an amazing bug. If you stand on top of the physics-enabled rocks on the islands and then pick them up with the Propulsion Cannon, you can launch yourself into the stratosphere. I was trying to see if I could land on top of the facility somehow, but it's not that easy to control - so far my best lob has been throwing myself so far out to sea that the island faded back into the fog.

It looks like the cause of this is that the rocks are arranged so that they are partially submerged into the ground. When you use the Propulsion Cannon on them, the games physics sees them intersecting with the ground and spazzes out a little to correct it. The smaller rocks will often just fall through the ground entirely (you can even drag them back through to the surface as long as you don't let go!), while the larger ones send you flying. It only works once per rock - once they've corrected their relationship with the earth, they're just a normal physics object.

Can you clip this and post it? Sounds fun to watch.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Good news from Experimental! The Cyclops thermal reactor is finally less poo poo there. After the whole bizzare case of "We buffed that! And by that we mean it's 300 minutes up from 50... Okay, it's two weeks later. We buffed it in live!... By which we mean we ported the bug."

7 minutes for Regular Cells, 33ish minutes for Ions. When parked with the engines off in the lava biomes. My latest tests were admittedly after a chain reaction of bugs resulted in my cyclops warped halfway through the rear of the containment facility. But exiting with my Prawn and watching my cyclops vanish behind the rocks showed the expected 70-71 temperature.

Though the Sonar still drains energy faster than the reactor can keep up with, even with everything else turned off. It really drives home how drainy everything is, when even the device of no use to you sitting still, can't be sustained while sitting still.

Bad news! At some point, (and on purpose, according to one poster chiding me). There is now an invisible one of a kind death zone around a broad general area of the entrance to the containment facility, that will kill you for swimming in your reinforced suit. (Guess I can't use those planters I put down anymore).

The entrance to the base with a bunch of warpers hanging around it. In a game where you can only build a new exo suit if you travel all the way back up to the surface if you get teleported out of it in a place you'll die trying to swim back to it.

Also Sea Dragons still love humping my engines off cyclops until it smashes into the dirt or front of said base, between occasionally dealing straight hull damage itself while clipping it's limbs into my cockpit while tilting it so prawn docking bugs the gently caress out. "I'll just go out and weld it then- *dies to death zone*"

Still. Holy poo poo the thermal reactor is finally starting to work towards living up to the long worn promises. Even if the Cyclops is still being tuned for "Endgame biomes with kyanite crystals only found after you upgrade everything else to go that deep" where regular power cells can still barely run a sonar, let alone shields :sigh:

Baby steps. Progress actually being made all on it's own is amazing to see, after the proud declarations they fixed it while breaking it further instead. Multiple times.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 30, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Fantastic.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
There's a new bugfix patch out. However, when I parked my seamoth in my moonpool, it disappeared at some point while I was doing things in the base. So, uh, keep that in mind.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Plek posted:

There's a new bugfix patch out. However, when I parked my seamoth in my moonpool, it disappeared at some point while I was doing things in the base. So, uh, keep that in mind.

That's working as intended. This was left in to simulate disastrous mechanical failures in real life. True Survival at its best.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I followed my Brother's advice to just stop thinking about this much strained game for a while and now that launch is only a couple weeks away-

Oh. The Steam store page now says January 16, 2018...

You know, for all the comicall missteps. I had honestly expected them to not have to hit the emergency brakes so hard it broke past 2017 :sigh:

Though if we're lucky, they will make a last minute end of November/December 1.0 stamp and act all smug about how they beat expectations.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 14, 2017

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is the cyclops still unusable? Havent been back in mine sonce they changed it and i got a fully upgraded prawn

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad they've pushed the release date, I hope they go all hands on deck with the performance, draw distance and pop-in issues. It would be a shame if they went 1.0 and every recommendation and review came with the major caveat of "oh yeah, the draw distance and pop-in is horrendous in this game all about atmosphere and exploration".

BOTW released since this became my personal GOTY, so uhh, that sort of threw that opinion out out the window. I still consider this such a fantastic game and I really hope they nail the release, whenever that is....

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xik posted:

I'm glad they've pushed the release date, I hope they go all hands on deck with the performance, draw distance and pop-in issues. It would be a shame if they went 1.0 and every recommendation and review came with the major caveat of "oh yeah, the draw distance and pop-in is horrendous in this game all about atmosphere and exploration".

BOTW released since this became my personal GOTY, so uhh, that sort of threw that opinion out out the window. I still consider this such a fantastic game and I really hope they nail the release, whenever that is....

See, the worrisome part about that is they HAVE been "All hands on deck for fixes to launch" for ages. They even made a big deal about how they hired extra staff just to help with optimization and polish and linked it to the game's main menu for a while early this summer (and then several more paragraphs about how them cutting a lot more content means they are the best devs ever).

There is the foundation of a great game in here. But there are still so many longstanding, or even new, problems. No matter how often the Devs say "We have 90% of ours staff fixing that" since the early summer. While bouncing back and forth between claiming it's Unity's fault that they will never ever be able to fix crabsnakes eating you through walls, then saying "But we're such awesome 10+ year vets we could (probably) fix it", and then back again to saying expectations of things being fixed is entitlment didn't you know you don't get everything you want that's gamedev.

We've been in the loop of "We're fixing it up for launch status now, but want to do it right!" for ages. But most of what we got to show for it are increasingly desperate speeches to go with their delays no matter how hard they try, how many more people they hire, and oh no Unity engine exploded :gonk:

So yes, launching with every single problem over half the negative reviews cite still in the game would be a bad launch. But at this point they may simply be too in over their head to ever actually truly fix many of the big standouts. Which sucks because this game deserves better.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 15, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Unknown worlds is continuing to be unknown worlds. The game will only be playably smooth 6 months after it's official release. The history of that particular dev studio is clear for anyone to see based on their previous games.

I still like the game, but people are fooling themselves if they think it'll be any more than incrementally better. WYSIWYG.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
This is my first game with these devs and I don't really follow development other then the newsletter/steam news and this thread, so I'll have to take your folks word for it. I poked around in the Trello when I was actually playing it (~6 months ago) but yeah, that's the extend of my knowledge.

That really sucks if it's possible this thing will never actually have it's major problems solved. For me, I don't care if it's 2 weeks or 2 years, the next time I play I just want the major problems to be sorted so I can enjoy dumping 100 hours into it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So uh, apparently while I was out the past couple months they made foundations need lead (No, cutting the titanium count down doesn't help), and solar panels need silver (Oh, and x2 Quartz, sure) :stare:

Just. Why? Okay I know why, it pads out the game longer. But.... WHY :psyduck:

EDIT: Let's see, no lava larva on the display or with me swimming outside to check... So Cyclops battery power drains at a steady rate just for existing with the engines and lights turned off as an oxygen tax now? And the thermal reactor is slower again? Hopefully this is just a bug for reloading older saves-

*Engines off Cyclops humped to a 87 degree angle by a sea dragon* Oh come on. I can drive past your face on silent running without you giving a poo poo. Stop deciding me quietly parking up by the ceiling to stay out of your way is some kind of mating call.

Xik posted:

This is my first game with these devs and I don't really follow development other then the newsletter/steam news and this thread, so I'll have to take your folks word for it. I poked around in the Trello when I was actually playing it (~6 months ago) but yeah, that's the extend of my knowledge.

That really sucks if it's possible this thing will never actually have it's major problems solved. For me, I don't care if it's 2 weeks or 2 years, the next time I play I just want the major problems to be sorted so I can enjoy dumping 100 hours into it.
Yeah see, "I don't care it it's 2 weeks or 2 years" is being said to people who have already waited said two years worth of "Launch is right around the corner! See, only three months away from launch since I've bought it".

But a lot of people always act like no amount of delays ever diffuse the whole "Ugh, look at how impatient people are :rolleyes:" canned phrase buffet. Whether through an innocent lack of self awareness like you. Or people who unironically tell people "God, launch is only in X months, they'll have it fixed by then" with one hand, then scream at people for having expected things to have been fixed in that time, twice the time, or ten times the time with the other hand.

But with falling flat on their face so many times, even after hiring on extra staff for the explicit purpose of unfucking the game. It's not a case of "Oh my god, just launch the game already I can't wait any longer". So much as "Oh my god, how did things even get this bad for them? How do they keep digging themselves a deeper hole? Is their office under an ancient curse?"

Every time the devs make some statement about how they are 10+ year vets, or "*Latest disappointing fuckup* That's gamedev". Which only get more frequent rather than less, I cringe in pity. Because it does not feel like they are trying to "lie to the customers" as some people like to scream. But to try and convince themselves they are not having a terrible time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 15, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

What's most annoying to me is that when they announced they would be removing terraforming and adjusting the map to make it static instead of dynamic to eliminate pop-in, I was like "Ok, I'll set the game down and pick it up when that's done."

It's been a year now. Still no progress on actually fixing the map.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rhjamiz posted:

What's most annoying to me is that when they announced they would be removing terraforming and adjusting the map to make it static instead of dynamic to eliminate pop-in, I was like "Ok, I'll set the game down and pick it up when that's done."

It's been a year now. Still no progress on actually fixing the map.

Early 2016 ETA: Oh my god, launch is only three months away just be patient. Don't you know anything about Gamedev? :rolleyes:
Early 2018 ETA: Oh my god, launch is only three months away just be patient. Don't you know anything about Gamedev? :rolleyes:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
They had to make a development stage entirely about a baby fish that you could give treats to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

UWE are a bad game development company with a good art director.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

UWE are a bad game development company with a good art director.

Step 1: Make a pretty as hell levithan. :haw:

Step 2: IOU one fix for launch of levithan pop-in and ignoring terrain. :geno:

Step 3: 100% Unity engine's fault for why it is totally literally impossible to fix what we did to the game you guys. That's gamedev! Blame free veteran Devs for 10+ years. (But you better get ready to praise us if we can fix our own mess after all). :sigh:

I want to believe they keep making such outlandish mike drop style posting over their failures , due to the fact to do otherwise would lead to crushing depression over how rough a time they are having trying to get this cool game to a standard acceptable without the safety blanket of "Early Access".

"Get hyped! We hired on a bunch more staff so things will go better than ever! Now that this single sentence is out of the way, have five paragraphs about how we're going to be cutting content faster than ever before and why we're super smart and attractive for doing so. Removing the player thermometer is doing you a favor, new players get so CONFUSED by having items they can craft! That's why we're also gating beacons. Because an item on the crafting menu is so much more confusing than starting out with no way to mark locations in a game with no map."

I know there is some silly color coding for placing thermals now, but that's already a piss poor replacement for a working thermometer. Even before considering the fact they consider "Inside the containment facility at 24 degrees" to be worth a green A-Okay for placement color.
The player base has honestly suggested "Just swim until you take damage, then you know it's hot, god you want everything handed to you" as reasonable. Melting your own face off to test temperature is so much more immersive and non confusing than a thermometer chip, yup yup.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 22, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

24 degrees is at least consistent because thermal generators function at anything above 15C afaik.

I mean it is the space future but I feel like I should at least be able to use the technology to build a space buttplug that recharges everything on my person if that's technology that exists.

Actually to be honest if a big one at 15 degrees can power some kind of laser arc furnace capble of enriching uranium and smelting pure titanium, I should probably be able to shoot lightning out of my dick with my space buttplug.

It's only immersive.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 22, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

24 degrees is at least consistent because thermal generators function at anything above 15C afaik.

I mean it is the space future but I feel like I should at least be able to use the technology to build a space buttplug that recharges everything on my person if that's technology that exists.

Actually to be honest if a big one at 15 degrees can power some kind of laser arc furnace capble of enriching uranium and smelting pure titanium, I should probably be able to shoot lightning out of my dick with my space buttplug.

It's only immersive.

Now if only we could maintain consistent power to a water filter that takes 15 minutes per single bottle with less than an entire active volcano or a nuclear reactor :v:

Particularly with them ramping up solar panels to need x2/x2 quarts and titanium, plus silver.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 22, 2017

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Have they at least made silver easier to find?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ardeem posted:

Didn't you know you can get all the silver you want :smug: ...With your exo-suit + drill arm that means you have long since left behind silver concerns :v: It's still just sandstone or go home for silver othewise. And these days normal sandstone and limestone resource nodes are actually more sparse than they used to be way back when. Maybe they bumped it back up a bit in the past months when I wasn't looking? But even if they had, yeah.

Though there are less things that use silver these days, that still hasn't done much for "Okay I need silver right NOW". And adding a silver (or any precious metal, really) requirement for one of your most important to spam objects in the game, solar panels... welp. Don't worry though, you can just unlock thermals and transmitters 37 seconds into your 19,000th playthrough with your foreknowledge, the playstyle of which all balance concerns are based around.

These days though I've heard more complaints about copper being the new pain in the rear end, and a common rebuttal to that is to use your wiki foreknowledge to slowly farm it off of sea treaders (because clearly, a struggling early game player will venture out into much more dangerous territory before unlocking so much as a propulsion gun). Even in threads talking about how they can't do that because warpers have been spawncamping treaders ll game.

Though of course, this is a playerbase that will praise adding a lead requirement to foundations as "Good, now people can stop complaining that lead is useless :downs: add more ingredients to everything while you are at it"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ardeem posted:

They spread a lot of silver's old functions out to gold making the intake/output a good bit more even.