Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The D&D episode follow-ups are incredibly stupid and immediately ruin any immersion in the story that you might have had.

It seems like they use them to get out in front of anything unclear or done poorly. They were just straight-up like "we had Benjen come out of nowhere and save Jon because we have like 9 episodes left and we had to tie that poo poo up somehow. He was probably glad to get killed if you think about it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

esperterra posted:

The Wall is supposed to keep the Walkers from crossing, not their wights.
I just realized something.

1: The White Walkers are made of ice.
2: The Wall is made of ice.
3: Dorne alone stood against the Targaryen conquest.

Put all of that together, and it's clear that the show will end with the Night King erecting a 300 foot wall of meat and bone to protect his kingdom against the dangerous enemy to his south.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Blazing Ownager posted:

I will now fix every dumb thing about the mission in Beyond The Wall:

Search: Cersei
Replace: Citadel

Done. Bringing a walker to the Citadel means the Citadel would officially recognize the threat, sound the alarm, and convince the known world. If Cersei didn't join in then her own people would throw her the gently caress out. Everyone wins but Cersei.

Yeah surely if like 95% of the world's scientists agreed there was a coming threat that had to be addressed the people would take their word over that of a few self-interested rulers.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

Yeah surely if like 95% of the world's scientists agreed there was a coming threat that had to be addressed the people would take their word over that of a few self-interested rulers.

lmao

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

General Dog posted:

:hmbol:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blazing Ownager posted:

I will now fix every dumb thing about the mission in Beyond The Wall:

Search: Cersei
Replace: Citadel

Done. Bringing a walker to the Citadel means the Citadel would officially recognize the threat, sound the alarm, and convince the known world. If Cersei didn't join in then her own people would throw her the gently caress out. Everyone wins but Cersei.

General Dog posted:

Lol, rekt.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

General Dog posted:

God drat.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This show continues to be bad and rear end and also badass. I'm enjoying it but not feeling good about doing so.

General Dog posted:

drat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

emanresu tnuocca posted:

D&D weren't hired to do anything, they pitched the adaptation to GRRM and HBO and they definitely knew the series is sprawling and unfinished when they did.

There was absolutely an expectation that WoW would have been finished at this point and certainly a detailed outline for the last book at the very least.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm not as huge a critic of this show as other, but this Brienne trip to KL makes very little sense to me given that, moment earlier, Littlefinger told Sansa to ask Brienne for help with Arya. So, instead, she sends her away?

I'm pretty sure she's doing it so Littlefinger can't use her oath in his schemes.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm really excited for Arya Durden, Master of Puppets, you guys.

Just like I was really excited for finding out how Arya faked her gut stabbing while casually strolling around a market two blocks away from the cabal of chameleon assassins she had just betrayed.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
blazing ownager, it's time for a nickname change

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Confer posted:

Well I mean it's a role. And if the series does really well I don't see why it would bother anyone to be remembered for playing the role well.

Hey remember when Leo DiCaprio played Candie in Django Unchained? What's he done since??? :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He got raped by a bear I think

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fruit on the bottom posted:

He got raped by a bear I think

Probably just a regular bear, not even a zombie ice bear. Sad!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.avclub.com/article/game-thrones-director-admits-shows-timeline-strain-259742

Game Of Thrones director admits the show’s timeline is “straining plausibility”

lmao right now

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I can at least respect that it's a deliberate trade off and not just being completely unaware.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

AV Club posted:

He continued: “If the show was struggling, I’d be worried about those concerns, but the show seems to be doing pretty well so it’s OK to have people with those concerns.” 

'Yeah, we know it's stupid but the show makes money, so who cares?'

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

quote:

He continued: “If the show was struggling, I’d be worried about those concerns, but the show seems to be doing pretty well so it’s OK to have people with those concerns.”

The Walking Dead philosophy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phi230 posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/game-thrones-director-admits-shows-timeline-strain-259742

Game Of Thrones director admits the show’s timeline is “straining plausibility”

lmao right now

Yeah, they know exactly what they're doing. They just don't give a gently caress.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
"you think we give a gently caress? you loving rubes will watch anything so long as it has tits and dragons"

Yeah I can respect that. Having contempt for your audience is good and cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly I think you could have still come up with a plausible timeline for the majority of the story with a few changes. Just a couple of short scenes prior to major moments used to indicate time is passing. The main offender last week was the whole Gendry - raven - Dany - rescue. The simplest way to avoid this while still having those pieces is to simply have Dany take the proactive approach and decide to go north of the wall herself rather than to wait for them to come back. You show that the excursion has taken a few days / weeks of traveling. After the bear fight, send Gendry back for help, saying they encountered the dead, lost some people, but are going to push forward to grab a wight. While this is happening, you then show the Tyrion/Dany discussion (or show it earlier). Frozen lake scene happens while Gendry is running to the wall (maybe getting chased by something and he’s forced to keep running / not stop since he’s weaponless. Gendry falls out of breath, thinking he just failed everyone then Dany shows up out of nowhere and saves him, asks where are the rest. Then the rescue can still occur as shown as the tension comes from wether she’ll make it in time or not rather than just magically show up.

There, you have almost the exact same screen scenes filmed (maybe in a different order) with two small additions and now poo poo makes sense. It’s still breakneck speed for the overall story but you’re not sacrificing what little logic/time you have left and having people teleport around.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Headline news: Nerds place greater importance on nerdthings than most people when it comes to their nerdshow.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

some guy on the bus posted:

The Walking Dead philosophy.

Walking Dead has not been going anywhere since the beginning of season two and is hopelessly, maliciously nihilistic. About the only thing it has in common with s7 GoT is that it's a soap opera. GoT is even pulling in much better numbers.

I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall when they decided to finish out one of the most complicated shows in television in 12 episodes over two years. Like they just didn't have it in them to write a full season of material.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 22, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

A puristic adaptation of AFFC and ADWD would look more like the Walking Dead.

dont even fink about it posted:

on the wall when they decided to finish out one of the most complicated shows in television in 12 episodes over two years. Like they just didn't have it in them to write a full season of material.

People lost their poo poo enough when the season was delayed a few months. By all rights, the development cycle should've been at least a couple years for each of the last few seasons, but there's several reasons they wouldn't want to do that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 22, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Walking Dead has not been going anywhere since the beginning of season two and is hopelessly, maliciously nihilistic. About the only thing it has in common with s7 GoT is that it's a soap opera. GoT is even pulling in much better numbers.

I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall when they decided to finish out one of the most complicated shows in television in 12 episodes.

I think he was referring to the GoT director not caring about glaring faults as long as the show's still bringing in viewers and cash, which describes TWD perfectly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno about the new theme they're rolling out for the final season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZJOvjdGBY

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think he was referring to the GoT director not caring about glaring faults as long as the show's still bringing in viewers and cash, which describes TWD perfectly.

Not that the flight time of a raven is actually comparable to the stuff TWD does to stretch out the show.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lycus posted:

Not that the flight time of a raven is actually comparable to the stuff TWD does to stretch out the show.

"My heart aches. What is the point of all this? Why must I kill?" *flashback to walking through the woods*

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well, yeah, TWD is garbage.

But it is pretty annoying that the GoT people didn't realize how much they'd shifted the tone of their own show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Though it's really returning to S1 pacing rather than the slowed pace of S3 and S4.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How's that? S1 had an entire episode about characters traveling places.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly I think you could have still come up with a plausible timeline for the majority of the story with a few changes. Just a couple of short scenes prior to major moments used to indicate time is passing. The main offender last week was the whole Gendry - raven - Dany - rescue. The simplest way to avoid this while still having those pieces is to simply have Dany take the proactive approach and decide to go north of the wall herself rather than to wait for them to come back. You show that the excursion has taken a few days / weeks of traveling. After the bear fight, send Gendry back for help, saying they encountered the dead, lost some people, but are going to push forward to grab a wight. While this is happening, you then show the Tyrion/Dany discussion (or show it earlier). Frozen lake scene happens while Gendry is running to the wall (maybe getting chased by something and he’s forced to keep running / not stop since he’s weaponless. Gendry falls out of breath, thinking he just failed everyone then Dany shows up out of nowhere and saves him, asks where are the rest. Then the rescue can still occur as shown as the tension comes from wether she’ll make it in time or not rather than just magically show up.

There, you have almost the exact same screen scenes filmed (maybe in a different order) with two small additions and now poo poo makes sense. It’s still breakneck speed for the overall story but you’re not sacrificing what little logic/time you have left and having people teleport around.

Is there some lore reason you can't just take a messenger raven with you everywhere like people did homing pigeons? Also, do the ravens just know where every keep and city of importance is and don't need to be shipped around the hard way like homing pigeons?

Or they could've just ridden horses and been faster than the army of the dead in the first place, Uncle Benjen and his horse were living up there for years, staying ahead of the dead.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AngryBooch posted:

Is there some lore reason you can't just take a messenger raven with you everywhere like people did homing pigeons? Also, do the ravens just know where every keep and city of importance is and don't need to be shipped around the hard way like homing pigeons?

Or they could've just ridden horses and been faster than the army of the dead in the first place, Uncle Benjen and his horse were living up there for years, staying ahead of the dead.

No, and in fact one of the big moments from season 2 was Sam loving up and failing to send the Ravens they brought with the party.

Show's gotten dumb. It's real pretty, but real dumb.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Human Crouton posted:

"My heart aches. What is the point of all this? Why must I kill?" *flashback to walking through the woods*

If Walking Dead did the Hound's stint with the Seven followers, it'd been 2 full seasons of him crying about how he's not into violence anymore until people start hate his previously loved character, until they just undo it because people hate it.

Walking Dead has not been going anywhere since the beginning of season two and is hopelessly, maliciously nihilistic.

There is nothing wrong with hopeless nihilism, and GoT used to be full of it.

Walking Dead isn't going anywhere because they keep producing the same villain in worse and worse forms, and the latest version can LITERALLY stand in front of a machine gun wielded by characters wanting to kill him and they just.. won't shoot. People get him right in crosshairs all the time and just.. don't shoot. Most viewers even go "If he shot him, the season would be over so that's why he can't shoot them" and use that as a defense of why it's writing is fine.

If you don't care about minor spoilers (as nothing happens) just LOOK at this poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQdpEdyNICg
He was going on a suicide mission, shot two people and gets his target in his sights and just.. just.. stares. This is like 1 of 100 times this happens.

Walking Dead has worse writing than GoT even now, and also looks like poo poo. Fear the Walking Dead this season actually surpassed the main show and that's just mind-breaking.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 22, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall when they decided to finish out one of the most complicated shows in television in 12 episodes over two years. Like they just didn't have it in them to write a full season of material.
Not to defend Walking Dead, but did you really criticize it as hopelessly, maliciously nihilistic... in the Game of Thrones thread?

This is a story where karma worked precisely in reverse for at least the first half of the story, purely for the sake of shocking the audience.

Daenerys and Jon are pretty idealistic and successful now, but pretty much anyone who acted that way for most of this show's run would be actively shat on by the story.

No comment on if that works or not (I think it's pretty neat sometimes), but it's hardly something that differentiates these two shows.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

Not to defend Walking Dead, but did you really criticize it as hopelessly, maliciously nihilistic... in the Game of Thrones thread?

The word he should have used is "repetitive." That's where WD is falling apart. And I don't mean because it's a zombie show, I mean because they keep creating upgraded versions of the same bad guy and they keep.. having.. the same.. conversation.. and taking.. the same.. actions.. that never.. end well.. only because.. the writers.. just abort it.. every.. loving.. time...

That and for all the stupidity we've said about how GoT characters are turning into idiots, TWD characters are a thousand times dumber. They keep doing the most insanely stupid things that get people killed you can see coming from a hundred miles away. There was one episode where they all talk about how they're safe behind their walls then characters all leave the walls because frustration rather and gently caress more people over. It's hilariously terrible.

Meanwhile the lovely loving Fear the Walking Dead has turned into the story of a complete psychopathic family murdering every settlement they run into while expanding their power base, and I'm not 100% sure AMC realizes the main characters are the villains.

ED: Oh I forgot Walking Dead also introduced the Filthy Trash People, who all talk like crashed 60s Star Trek aliens for absolutely no reason. Prepare to go to the up up!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Here's a great summation of how dumb it's gotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqOf0qI2H4

It's a Walking Dead level of care. The only difference is Walking Dead wants to keep it going forever. Game of Thrones producers wants it over and done with right now. I actually wish GoT would drag it out endlessly. I enjoy making fun of it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

I can at least respect that it's a deliberate trade off and not just being completely unaware.

No it's a director going "Eh who cares I'll do what looks cool" with no understanding of the realism that made people like GoT in the first place.

All the review sites said it just became typical fantasy were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

some guy on the bus posted:

Here's a great summation of how dumb it's gotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqOf0qI2H4

It's a Walking Dead level of care. The only difference is Walking Dead wants to keep it going forever. Game of Thrones producers wants it over and done with right now. I actually wish GoT would drag it out endlessly. I enjoy making fun of it.

At least we didn't spend the whole season with that long repetitive "We have to kill Cersei" post I made earlier in the thread.

One more person on WD says "We have to kill Negan," gets a plan to do it, gets the means to do it, gets the situation to do it and then doesn't do it and I want to see the writers get baseball bats to the head.

• Locked thread