Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

wolrah posted:

IIRC the SRT4 actually lacks mufflers altogether from the factory.

Correct, it did not have mufflers from the factory. It had a cat and a resonator.

A very common mod was a 3" downpipe to a catback. I just had a catback on it and it was obnoxious. That and the TurboXS RFL BOV. Good god I was a dipshit at that age. Sure thought I was cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

skipdogg posted:

Correct, it did not have mufflers from the factory. It had a cat and a resonator.

A very common mod was a 3" downpipe to a catback. I just had a catback on it and it was obnoxious. That and the TurboXS RFL BOV. Good god I was a dipshit at that age. Sure thought I was cool though.

You were cool and don't you let anyone tell you different god drat it.

We were all cool.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I already did the stupid car swap... 5.3l lsx into a s10 blazer 2dr. This is my commuter car and insurance is cheap (1/3rd the 350z) so it is basically a second engine to sit for another 70k miles, friend who works on drift and track cars at his shop full time to do when it gets up there, and make a full time autocross fun car. I still have my stock 350z hr with 45k miles that I haven't touched and probably have to get something that seats more than 2 adults soon anyways.

I think parts wise I'm looking at $3k shipped for engine, use the turbo as a core to stuff for $800, already have the lsd, and an intercooler if the design ever gets done, and about $2-3k for friend to install. Tune will probably be free since I drove up when he started tuning and paid dyno fees.

I got to justify my 3 car garage by fitting as many small cars in it as possible. I really just find it a comfortable car for me at 6'3", like the shifter, and easy to work on. Plus by garaging the 350z is about $1000 a year in savings on insurance.

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 26, 2017

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Saw my first Type R in the flesh today. It was black on black on black, so it just looked like a Civic with a giant wing. It's a bit more tame when it's not 5 different colors.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

veedubfreak posted:

It's a bit more tame when it's not 5 different colors.
Harlequin Edition Type R coming in a few years

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Harlequin Edition Type R coming in a few years

I still want a harlequin golf. The thought has occurred to me to do it to my bug.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont think anyone should be discouraged from modifying their car but platform and purpose should always be considered.

There is definitely diminishing returns on big builds and I dont understand people vying for 'fastest GTI' or whatever. Once you modify to the level of 'all the bolt ons' you start ending up in dangerous territory where the engine is tuned near the upper limit of what it can handle.

If I had to do my S13 again I would do what I have done now and taken 30HP off the tune.

Having said that, with my Evo all I want is a quiet but good sounding exhaust, an intake, tune, and some nice wheels. it has the big turbo, big brakes, big seats from the factory :v:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

There's a fairly large NEON club in NE Indiana and the head of it has at least six of the drat things. To his credit he has a clean red one with every "stage" Dodge offered and nothing else.

His other ones are all terrible though.

Could you tell them all to stop trying to race me then? I swear to god my RS has a flashing neon sign above it to attract every boy racer in the Fort.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Huge_Midget posted:

Could you tell them all to stop trying to race me then? I swear to god my RS has a flashing neon sign above it to attract every boy racer in the Fort.

If you want to gently caress with them roll your back windows up and down a few times. They had power windows in the front doors, but the rears were manual.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

skipdogg posted:

If you want to gently caress with them roll your back windows up and down a few times. They had power windows in the front doors, but the rears were manual.

Hahaha that's perfect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Welcome to the life dude. There's a reason I pulled the Mazdaspeed badge off the car.

skipdogg posted:

Incredible.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Being a Mopar product all crank windows would be an upgrade option

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I actually wanted a SRT-4 for the longest time. They sounded mean and were pretty drat quick. I had a buddy in high school who spent mom and dads money to get one into the low 400 HP range and it was hilarious.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

People have been doing that since they were released. Naturally some of the Neon owners would get insanely mad about it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Huge_Midget posted:

Is it powder blue? No one ever tries to race me in my black R. Which is nice, cause the cops don't bother looking at me either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He has one of like four powder blue RS's in town now. But he's the only owner who isn't a total cock about the car.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Is it powder blue? No one ever tries to race me in my black R. Which is nice, cause the cops don't bother looking at me either.

Rhyno posted:

He has one of like four powder blue RS's in town now. But he's the only owner who isn't a total cock about the car.

Yeah it's Nitrous Blue. I've only ever seen one other RS, which was also Nitrous Blue, and it was parked at IHOP on Washington Center and Lima.

Also, Rhyno, I don't know if you are at all computer savvy or are looking for a new job but there might be an opening at my workplace soon if you are looking to change jobs. I'm trying to think of anyone that I know that would want a job working on computers and I figured you are a goon and have actual social skills so if you are even remotely interested hit me up on Facebook.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Huge_Midget posted:

Yeah it's Nitrous Blue. I've only ever seen one other RS, which was also Nitrous Blue, and it was parked at IHOP on Washington Center and Lima.

Also, Rhyno, I don't know if you are at all computer savvy or are looking for a new job but there might be an opening at my workplace soon if you are looking to change jobs. I'm trying to think of anyone that I know that would want a job working on computers and I figured you are a goon and have actual social skills so if you are even remotely interested hit me up on Facebook.

It's not in Denver is it? :P

Heh, just checked my email, and I got a message from the dealer I bought my car asking "Is your R ok?" I was due for my yearly oil change yesterday.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 27, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I am so addicted to data logging and using Datazap to peruse all my "stats". Engine management is real neat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Thanks for thinking of me but I'm not quite ready to change my work situation.

There's a white RS in town as well!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Ford dealer across the street from where I'm at has two RS's sitting outside. Might have to see if they'll let me drive one when I've got some extra time.

e: still can't find the Firestone Indy 500's in stock anywhere. It's kind of ridiculous.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 2, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Hell is other people.

This actually happened last weekend, just picked it back up from the body shop today. Other driver got a "failure to maintain lane" for turning into me in a 2-turning-lane intersection.

I think I'm going to have to take it back to the shop though, they did a lovely job on the door handle. The inside part you grab feels like a textured surface now, like non-slip coating. Passenger side is smooth like the rest of the paint on the car. You can't see it visually, but every time I touch it to open the door I will know it's not right and it will bug the poo poo out of me.

edit: The door handle was actually a new OEM unit according to the paperwork. But it's listed as "from 04/14 on". Can anyone confirm if the '14 and/or '15 door handles have a texture on the back side of the door handle? The ones on my car were both smooth on the back. If it matters, I have keyless entry and ignition.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 3, 2017

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fknlo posted:

e: still can't find the Firestone Indy 500's in stock anywhere. It's kind of ridiculous.

I couldn't either and gave up trying.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Firestone/Firehawk+Indy+500

This site has the 235/35R19's used on both the RS and the R in stock. I have no experience with the vendor though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

JollyPubJerk posted:

I couldn't either and gave up trying.

Discount tire should be able to order them. I honestly can't tell you the last time I've been able to buy the tires I wanted in stock. Find them on tirerack, print it out, go to discount, they'll match cost and then you have a local place to go to if you ever have to replace a tire under warranty.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I always buy tires from Discount Tire Direct, Tire Rack, or eBay and have them mounted at Walmart, since I'm a cheap-rear end.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

I always buy tires from Discount Tire Direct, Tire Rack, or eBay and have them mounted at Walmart, since I'm a cheap-rear end.

I can't tell if these are the same or not.
https://www.discounttire.com// is the local place that will match everything I've ever found online.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do seems to ape even the design of the name.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

You've never been worried about your nice rims getting hosed up by walmart tech? I usually go to a chain tire shop at least, not that it matters (still worries me). :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

You've never been worried about your nice rims getting hosed up by walmart tech? I usually go to a chain tire shop at least, not that it matters (still worries me). :v:

A set of tires doesn't last me more than four months and they see the track so they can't do any worse than what I will do :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I can't tell if these are the same or not.
https://www.discounttire.com// is the local place that will match everything I've ever found online.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do seems to ape even the design of the name.

They're definitely connected to each other.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Pro status is going to Discount/Americas and using walmart to price both match tires (since you don't have to pay shipping) and installation (which is the cheapest I've found).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah cause then those places charge sales tax, discount tire direct has somewhat blah selection but amazing prices if you buy a set during a holiday sale

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Getting closer to stuffed turbo and built engine. $3600 for engine and parts. Guy will build engine that has one who races in cali outrunning super cars at the tracks out there. He will do the build for $1300, $900 rebuild turbo stuffed, and install the engine, clutch, flywheel, and lsd for old engine. So may start buying the engine and drop it off this summer when I have more miles. Says will be around 330-350whp like his and he dailys his for the last year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

nah cause then those places charge sales tax, discount tire direct has somewhat blah selection but amazing prices if you buy a set during a holiday sale

This. The rebates make it way cheaper than anyone else.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
2500 miles in the first 8 weeks of owning my GTI and i'm still loving it

anyone bought and installed the superpro alloy control arms? these things are expensive (800 bucks) but look like they should last a long time and give a lot of improvement to driving dynamics without any drawbacks.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

2500 miles in the first 8 weeks of owning my GTI and i'm still loving it

anyone bought and installed the superpro alloy control arms? these things are expensive (800 bucks) but look like they should last a long time and give a lot of improvement to driving dynamics without any drawbacks.

I'm not familiar with the GTI scene anymore, but this is intriguing. Are control arms a popular mod now? Different geometry? I don't understand the benefit I suppose.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah, slightly better geometry with poly bushings

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7832&page=9

and they are aluminum instead of stamped steel

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That seems a weird first mod but go all in

I did a JB1 and new tires/wheels personally. The factory all seasons are poo poo so if you're still running those that'd be my first stop.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I cannot imagine running a not-summer tire on the Focus ST and I imagine the GTI is kinda similar- high-horsepower FWD cars need alllll the traction they can get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I cannot imagine running a not-summer tire on the Focus ST and I imagine the GTI is kinda similar- high-horsepower FWD cars need alllll the traction they can get

my dude, the limited slip is quite good on the GTI

i'm going to keep my warranty intact for the powertrain warranty so the only things i'm really looking at are exhaust/tires/wheels and possibly control arms for the first 3-4 years i have this thing.

i have some nice michelin as 3+ tires in 235 on a set of bmw wheels that i'll transfer over to some lightweight 17x8 wheels soon enough