Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Monkey Fracas posted:

I cannot imagine running a not-summer tire on the Focus ST and I imagine the GTI is kinda similar- high-horsepower FWD cars need alllll the traction they can get

Hi performance all season because it occasionally gets cold enough to make summer tires dangerous in Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Ferret King posted:

Hi performance all season because it occasionally gets cold enough to make summer tires dangerous in Texas.

My car came with UHP summers in Denver :)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Haha what? Unless you're in the panhandle it'll only dip below freezing a handful of days a year. I'd much rather take it easy on those days and have the much better grip a summer tire gives over an all season the remaining 360 days a year.

All seasons are a bad compromise.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Haha what? Unless you're in the panhandle it'll only dip below freezing a handful of days a year. I'd much rather take it easy on those days and have the much better grip a summer tire gives over an all season the remaining 360 days a year.

All seasons are a bad compromise.

Haha yourself. I live here, I know what the temperatures are.

You are a bad poster.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Haha yourself. I live here, I know what the temperatures are.

You are a bad poster.

It's almost like you can look up the temps online. All of the major population centers outside the panhandle have an average low above freezing. If it's an ice storm then the whole area goes into a panic anyway.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

It's almost like you can look up the temps online. All of the major population centers outside the panhandle have an average low above freezing. If it's an ice storm then the whole area goes into a panic anyway.

And freezing temps have what to do with the ratings of summer tires?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Your argument is that cold temperatures make summer tires dangerous. I'm saying that there are only a handful of days in the vast majority of Texas that actually make a summer tire inferior.

All seasons are also impacted by glass transition with the temperature decrease. Granted it's going to be closer to 0F than the 20F or so you'd see in a summer tire but you don't see either temp at any rate.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how about you just let it go and let this poster buy whatever tires they want?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Your argument is that cold temperatures make summer tires dangerous. I'm saying that there are only a handful of days in the vast majority of Texas that actually make a summer tire inferior.

All seasons are also impacted by glass transition with the temperature decrease. Granted it's going to be closer to 0F than the 20F or so you'd see in a summer tire but you don't see either temp at any rate.

My summer tires warn against use below 40 farenheit and they get noticeably less traction at 50 and below. And those temps are pretty common here regardless of what your autistic weather graphs show you.

To stay within manufacturer specs, I run all seasons during the winters here because it is my daily driver and you can eat poo poo.

Sorry I'm just a super safety conscientious driver

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Ferret King posted:

Their ideal temperature range and the point where they become legitimately dangerous are two different places. Unless you're running really extreme tires you can still drive entirely safely like a normal person even when it's cold out. You just can't push them hard and expect them to perform like when it's warm.

Now if it's also raining/snowing, that's another matter, but if it only gets that cold a few days a year I'd take those odds happily for the gains to performance all the rest of the year.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

how about you just let it go and let this poster buy whatever tires they want?

It doesn't matter what tire you have in Texas. No one there knows how to drive anyway :)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

wolrah posted:

Their ideal temperature range and the point where they become legitimately dangerous are two different places. Unless you're running really extreme tires you can still drive entirely safely like a normal person even when it's cold out. You just can't push them hard and expect them to perform like when it's warm.

Now if it's also raining/snowing, that's another matter, but if it only gets that cold a few days a year I'd take those odds happily for the gains to performance all the rest of the year.

It gets cold here for a few months out of the year, with pockets of awesome 70degree days in between.

veedubfreak posted:

It doesn't matter what tire you have in Texas. No one there knows how to drive anyway :)

See, this guy knows.

This is my first exposure to goons posting about shirking safety guidelines on tires. I'm disappointed in you.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What still amazes me are the idiots in Colorado that leave the house in snow storms with summer tires.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

My short vacation in Austin this year showed me they aren't as bad as Seattle drivers

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I guess my decision to run all-season vs. summer tires is made much simpler by the fact that I like having dedicated winter tires to deal with the inevitably lovely snowy Wisconsin/Illinois rural roads around where I am. You can do it with decent all-seasons but it feels a lot safer with actual winter tires, difference is pretty stark IMO. Doesn't make you invincible or anything but I feel a lot better on snow now.

So, I'm changing the tires anyways- why not run summer tires? Wear a little faster but whatever I'll eat that.

veedubfreak posted:

What still amazes me are the idiots in Colorado that leave the house in snow storms with summer tires.

Think some people just kinda don't know- previous owner of car definitely was driving around with summer tires in winter in Detroit- there were some pretty big fissures on the tread. Don't know how they stayed on the road in snowy weather

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Ferret King posted:

It gets cold here for a few months out of the year, with pockets of awesome 70degree days in between.
Ok, yea if you have more than maybe a week or two where you're consistently driving in <~45F temps then I can see having a set of all seasons. I'd probably still treat them like winter tires in that situation though so I could justify some more extreme summer tires.

veedubfreak posted:

I live just outside a section of NE Ohio called the "snow belt" where lake effect snow can dump over a foot in a day. Every year without failure I see idiots spinning and sliding around in their X5Ms and Cayennes on summer tires while I cruise past in my properly tired hatchback.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a summer set and winter set for the FiST but am using a set of Pilot Sport A/Ss on the GLI. Both are equally fine for Salt Lake City.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Speed Perf6rmanc3 has been pushing the stock Focus ST block as far as it will go. This is what they came up with:

quote:

DRAMATIC Update on our Shop 2016 Focus ST 2.3L Hybrid Build!

We finally went ahead and gave the car a final check-up before pushing the engine any further on power. Fluid changes, compression & leak-down tests, just to give the green light to go ahead and crank up the boost! Everything checked out excellent. 200 PSI Compression across all 4 cylinders and all within 3% leak-down. At 38 PSI of boost and 770 WHP, the cylinder sleeve on cylinder #2 blew out! This engine was not an aftermarket sleeved block. It was actually an OEM block with our 2.3L Stroker kit and 2.3L EB cylinder head.

Everything was running great and all signs show that the engine was running optimally at full power until the block decided that it no longer wanted to live, cracked and puncture a hole right through the cylinder liner exposing the cooling system. It was quite a smoke show.

This engine was running our 1/2" CA625 Head Studs and we verified that head lift was not an issue. It appears that we have physically met the limitation of the OEM Block / Cylinder Sleeve. The sleeve cracked right in front of the coolant jackets where there is the least cylinder support.

We already have an aftermarket sleeved block ready to go and are in the process of putting the 2.3 EB head back on it and then seeing what is capable beyond 38 PSI of boost.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What do stock internals or stock transmission hold?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I know it's an un-AI take, but I don't understand why people build huge HP FWD cars.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I know it's an un-AI take, but I don't understand why people build huge HP FWD cars.

High HP on a FWD can still be useful, just not from a dig. Also, good traction control and differentials have come a long way. But it's still really easy to overwhelm the front end of most cars.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess my decision to run all-season vs. summer tires is made much simpler by the fact that I like having dedicated winter tires to deal with the inevitably lovely snowy Wisconsin/Illinois rural roads around where I am. You can do it with decent all-seasons but it feels a lot safer with actual winter tires, difference is pretty stark IMO. Doesn't make you invincible or anything but I feel a lot better on snow now.

So, I'm changing the tires anyways- why not run summer tires? Wear a little faster but whatever I'll eat that.

Think some people just kinda don't know- previous owner of car definitely was driving around with summer tires in winter in Detroit- there were some pretty big fissures on the tread. Don't know how they stayed on the road in snowy weather

Ya, I ran on all seasons for 1 winter. Brand new the DWS wasn't bad in the snow, but it definitely wasn't a winter tire. I went back to a proper winter the next season. Tell you what though, AWD and winter tires is a drat hoot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Projects are fun

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I like that people do it because it means we end up knowing the limits of the drivetrain. I don't intend to exceed 300HP because FWD but it's nice to know that my engine can handle over 400 with no internal modifications.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

All wheel drive bro!

I'm always amazed by the number of people out there and in the mountains that won't turn their loving lights on during snow storms when visibility is hosed.

Still trying to figure out what I want to do as far as tires go. It's probably close enough to winter to not gently caress with it at this point.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
All-seasons on a performance car is haram.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BraveUlysses posted:

my dude, the limited slip is quite good on the GTI

i'm going to keep my warranty intact for the powertrain warranty so the only things i'm really looking at are exhaust/tires/wheels and possibly control arms for the first 3-4 years i have this thing.

i have some nice michelin as 3+ tires in 235 on a set of bmw wheels that i'll transfer over to some lightweight 17x8 wheels soon enough

get a jb1, your warranty is still fine, car farts. you don't need exhaust, just a downpipe

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
My FiST's window sticker listed "SUMMER TIRES" and I'm an idiot so I assumed they were, without looking at the sidewall. I bought winter tires, then looked at the dismounted tires and...they're Pilot A/S 3's. So now I have a set of all seasons and a set of winter tires, and no summer tires. That's my story thanks for listening.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cellular Suicide posted:

My FiST's window sticker listed "SUMMER TIRES" and I'm an idiot so I assumed they were, without looking at the sidewall. I bought winter tires, then looked at the dismounted tires and...they're Pilot A/S 3's. So now I have a set of all seasons and a set of winter tires, and no summer tires. That's my story thanks for listening.

well on the plus side those are really great allseason tires

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shortly after I bought my RS with Cup 2's, it snowed lightly on the way back from Canada. I've never been so scared in my life.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cellular Suicide posted:

Where you hosed up was buying a set of winter tires, but not winter wheels.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

BraveUlysses posted:

well on the plus side those are really great allseason tires

NO! All seasons are a hilariously poor compromise because I huff my own farts.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Ugh would someone please just learn me some basics about tyres?

I have a Golf R, I like it. I bought it CPO with fresh really nice all-seasons and lovely VW blades (the 15 wheels) that I want to change.

The tyres are fine, and I've only put like 5000 (?) miles on them, but (TM) Winter Is Coming (TM) and I was thinking it would be a good opportunity to get my tyre/wheel situation switched around.

Costco sells alloy wheels and I think some decent winter-specific tyres. I was thinking to buy some new winter tyres this winter, put them on the blades and then leave those be as my "winter" wheels, before buying summers and new wheels next spring.

Cash is literally zero concern, I just don't want to deal with having to go to the shop more often than I need.

I'd like to get all of this done at Costco because I trust them and like doing business there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Why would you not go to a legitimate tire store? I've had excellent service at small regional chains in many parts of the country. I would buy wheels from tirerack or somewhere similar and drop ship them to your local installer for mount and balance. Usually the local guy will price match tires.

For winter tires, you should usually size down where possible because a) it's cheaper and b) having the maddest big contact patch is actually counterproductive in low-grip snowy conditions. I think your OE size is 18". Consumer Reports actually does pretty good tire testing for winter tires.

also this is america we write tires

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

JollyPubJerk posted:

get a jb1, your warranty is still fine, car farts. you don't need exhaust, just a downpipe

Is this legitimate?

Edit: guess I should actually look to see what a jb1 does before posting :v

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Etrips posted:

Is this legitimate?

Edit: guess I should actually look to see what a jb1 does before posting :v

It won't "void" your warranty or any of that other nonsense people post without knowing how car warranties work. If you install it correctly it doesn't throw any codes or flags.

The Ferret King posted:

NO! All seasons are a hilariously poor compromise because I huff my own farts.

:marc:

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 24, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
There is no such thing as voiding the entire warranty. Even if you were to fully replace the drivetrain, everything not affected by that change remains covered as normal.

Aftermarket parts and modifications which take the vehicle outside of manufacturer specifications can be grounds to deny warranty claims if they are plausibly related.

JB1 type stuff can be detected if they're looking for it, but it's a bit less blatant than a reflash. The ECU can see that certain signals are consistently out of spec because of the silly cheater box, and at least one of the German brands is known to be flagging these things. I forget if it was VW or BMW.

I say get an APR flash and enjoy doing it right. JB1 type boxes are half-assed solutions.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Ugh would someone please just learn me some basics about tyres?

I have a Golf R, I like it. I bought it CPO with fresh really nice all-seasons and lovely VW blades (the 15 wheels) that I want to change.

The tyres are fine, and I've only put like 5000 (?) miles on them, but (TM) Winter Is Coming (TM) and I was thinking it would be a good opportunity to get my tyre/wheel situation switched around.

Costco sells alloy wheels and I think some decent winter-specific tyres. I was thinking to buy some new winter tyres this winter, put them on the blades and then leave those be as my "winter" wheels, before buying summers and new wheels next spring.

Cash is literally zero concern, I just don't want to deal with having to go to the shop more often than I need.

I'd like to get all of this done at Costco because I trust them and like doing business there.
Your plan is good aside from maybe sizing down for winters like KYOON said. You may consider buying a set of cheap wheels/winter tires and then selling the current setup as weels and tires on craigslist or whatever, probably easier to sell that way if the tires have decent life left.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Speaking of tire chat, anyone in the Maryland, DC, Philly area in the market for winter tires? I have a set of Blizzaks and 17" steelies I used for a year before I sold my Focus ST.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wolrah posted:

There is no such thing as voiding the entire warranty. Even if you were to fully replace the drivetrain, everything not affected by that change remains covered as normal.

Aftermarket parts and modifications which take the vehicle outside of manufacturer specifications can be grounds to deny warranty claims if they are plausibly related.

JB1 type stuff can be detected if they're looking for it, but it's a bit less blatant than a reflash. The ECU can see that certain signals are consistently out of spec because of the silly cheater box, and at least one of the German brands is known to be flagging these things. I forget if it was VW or BMW.

I say get an APR flash and enjoy doing it right. JB1 type boxes are half-assed solutions.

Totally agree, that's why I put void in quotes.

As far as I know, nobody has run into trouble with a JB1/JB4 by installing it right. A tune is definitely the best option but much easier to detect. In the OP's case he wasn't wanting to do anything that may impact warranty coverage, so a JB1 is easier to remove for service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Wow the Tyre Rack plan seems surprisingly painless.