Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
oh hey, i saw pallbearer/gost on thursday.

gost: what the gently caress. i had no loving idea what this was before i saw him, and what the gently caress it wasnt...i dont know. was it techno? the gently caress?

pallbearer: rules. completely forgot about earplugs. wish i had some. but drat they were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Varg posted:

here watch some Yob at Psycho Las Vegas and then be bummed with me that we missed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9qDtzSmN38

Yeah, y'all missed something amazing. One of the best sets I've seen them play, and so good to see Mike healthy again.

Also, Earthless just played an absolutely blistering set, worth keeping an eye out for the video when that posts.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Benny Profane posted:

Yeah, y'all missed something amazing. One of the best sets I've seen them play, and so good to see Mike healthy again.

Also, Earthless just played an absolutely blistering set, worth keeping an eye out for the video when that posts.

have you been able to find the earthless set anywhere? youtube has a horrible problem with recent concert search results in my experience, where any search you do just pulls down tens of spam links claiming you can "live stream" that show (that took place days or weeks ago)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cult of Luna with Julie Christmas was an insane live experience holy poo poo

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cult of Luna with Julie Christmas was an insane live experience holy poo poo

I am so loving jealous of the people who get to see them. I've listened to Mariner so many times through, now all I can do is hope for a live release.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Julie Christmas later showed up in the crowd for Swans, pushed her way to the front, and proceeded to flip off Michael Gira for a solid five sustained minutes.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

emdash posted:

have you been able to find the earthless set anywhere? youtube has a horrible problem with recent concert search results in my experience, where any search you do just pulls down tens of spam links claiming you can "live stream" that show (that took place days or weeks ago)

Not yet, no - all of the sets in the Joint looked like they were being professionally filmed, though, so hopefully we'll eventually get some good videos posted on youtube?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

DEAR RICHARD posted:

oh hey, i saw pallbearer/gost on thursday.

gost: what the gently caress. i had no loving idea what this was before i saw him, and what the gently caress it wasnt...i dont know. was it techno? the gently caress?

pallbearer: rules. completely forgot about earplugs. wish i had some. but drat they were good.

I saw them with Marissa Nadler and Kayo Dot. They seem to really dig weird lineups.

They were already my favorite band, but seeing them live was amazing. I'd been waiting over a year to see them. The only band that's come close to blowing me away as much is Bell Witch.

Speaking of Bell Witch, new album teaser today
https://youtu.be/Yrc1ch3O9Fs

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Benny Profane posted:

Julie Christmas later showed up in the crowd for Swans, pushed her way to the front, and proceeded to flip off Michael Gira for a solid five sustained minutes.

Is there bad blood between them? I couldn't find anything online.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

flirty dental hygienist posted:

Is there bad blood between them? I couldn't find anything online.

Michael Gira being a possible rapist is probably enough

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

That was my assumption, but she also gave every indication of being on a lot of acid at the time, which muddies the causative waters a little.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

uhhh this is totally not verified, just accusations thrown w/o any proof to back it up. so gossip i guess?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

uhhh this is totally not verified, just accusations thrown w/o any proof to back it up. so gossip i guess?

That's why I said "possible," though it's generally good to believe accusers. Gossip implies that it comes from a third party but the allegations were made by the alleged victim.

Benny Profane posted:

Also I'm assuming this happened at Psycho Las Vegas? Because I'm talking about the Chicago show with Whores. and Dalek.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

That's why I said "possible," though it's generally good to believe accusers. Gossip implies that it comes from a third party but the allegations were made by the alleged victim.

we're all possible rapists. until there's actual proof i wouldn't spread gossip like that. and also you are a third party, aren't you?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol I'm not even going to touch that. This discussion can only go in one direction.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dyna Soar posted:

we're all possible rapists. until there's actual proof i wouldn't spread gossip like that. and also you are a third party, aren't you?

This post

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nerve posted:

This post

well, reading the actual accounts the parties involved wrote made it pretty clear that the whole thing didn't quite go as larkin grimm first said, e.g. that she was raped by gira. she also didn't press any charges, which is what you naturally should do if you're accusing someone of rape.

oh well, he's a possible rapist to people now so i guess justice was served, never mind if it's the truth or not. thank you social media.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
His life is pretty much exactly the same. The Glowing Man didn't get the same coverage as the last two albums (it also wasn't as good) and people wrote some thinkpieces but that's it. He doesn't need you to white knight him.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

His life is pretty much exactly the same. The Glowing Man didn't get the same coverage as the last two albums (it also wasn't as good) and people wrote some thinkpieces but that's it. He doesn't need you to white knight him.

yeah, most likely because in the end it was just internet drama. the dark side of social media, some people will always believe any accusation made , since apparently they never bother following what happens afterwards.

also i'm not white knighting anyone, just saying that the whole thing was a huge poop throwing fest that would have been better never happened. in the end she admitted there was no "rape" and giras wife says she's admitted as much to her in writing.

ps. i'm actually not a fan of the swans comeback stuff, the angels of light is a lot better.

to clarify for people who don't know what we're talking about, here's giras statement released after the initial accusation:

quote:

Eight years ago, while I was still married to my first wife, Larkin Grimm and I headed towards a consensual romantic moment that fortunately was not consummated. As she wrote in her recent social media postings about that night, I said to her, "this doesn't feel right," and abruptly but completely our only intimate encounter ended. It was an awkward mistake.

Larkin may regret, as I certainly do, that the ill-advised tryst went even that far, but now, as then, I hold her in high esteem for her music and her courage as an artist.

I long ago apologized to my wife and family and told them the truth about this incident. My hope is that Larkin finds peace with the demons that have been darkening her soul since long before she and I ever met.

here's grimm's response:

quote:

This is a perfect example of why we need to have education about consent. In a gentlemanly move he admits the act happened but cannot conceive of himself as a rapist. Thank you Michael Gira for your honesty. This is your truth as you remember it. Unfortunately, this was still rape. I said no to you many times before that day, begged you not to interfere with me sexually, even made it a part of a verbal agreement we had when I signed a contract with you. I asked you to promise that you would never have sex with me. You assured me that I could trust you. That is about as clear a NO as I could ever cry. I asked for this because I had had other experiences in my music career and I KNEW.

That night I was far too intoxicated to give you consent for any sexual act. The psychological effects of this betrayal were devastating. Even worse, when I finally confronted you about what you had done, you terminated my relationship with Young God Records, damaging my career and leading people to believe there was something wrong with me or my music.

In the end, this is about business. Art is my career. I have worked long and hard for this career, making incredible sacrifices along the way to continue to make music. The fact that a man in power can throw a women's life and work away like they are garbage, simply because she won't sleep with him, is an immoral injustice that happens to many, many women in music. I won't stand for it and neither should you.

The "Demons darkening my soul" are the men like you who interfere with my ability to do my work as a musician. This is a job I am good at. All I want is to be left in peace while I am working.

i know you have a culture of rape in america as well as some unfortunate cases where the supposed victim has gotten caught of lying when accusing someone of rape, so you guys maybe have a hard time putting this thing in perspective.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 23, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spicy personal take: Gira and Christmas are both massively overrated so who cares about their silly possible skirmish anyway

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Spicy personal take: Gira and Christmas are both massively overrated so who cares about their silly possible skirmish anyway

heh, well i agree with you on christmas but early swans has been such a huge influence on many, many artists discussed in this thread.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dyna Soar posted:

heh, well i agree with you on christmas but early swans has been such a huge influence on many, many artists discussed in this thread.

Oh yeah no doubt. I just have this weird thing where I'll go through phases of listening to like 2 hour long noisy experimental album bands and think heh enjoy your traditional BORING music normies. Then I realize I don't actually enjoy any of that and go back to listening to more reasonably structured stuff and have a good time.

Personal opinion, etc etc. I do like some Swans music but at this point I don't feel like listening to anything like that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I rarely have to be in a certain mood to enjoy something but Swans definitely apply. I will not accept slander of Julie Christmas though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i don't know if you're into like, folk or regular rock but imo giras best albums have been under the angels of light, which is a dark americana sorta band. think 16 hp / woven hand but instead of that old testament feel this one's straight up serial killer dread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

i don't know if you're into like, folk or regular rock but imo giras best albums have been under the angels of light, which is a dark americana sorta band. think 16 hp / woven hand but instead of that old testament feel this one's straight up serial killer dread.

I do like Wovenhand but softer Swans material has never done much for me so I haven't really bothered with AoL because I assumed it was more of the same

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dyna Soar posted:

I'll have to check that out, sounds like something I would be into for sure.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

I do like Wovenhand but softer Swans material has never done much for me so I haven't really bothered with AoL because I assumed it was more of the same

here's a couple of my favourite songs, i'd say check em out. it's a lot more like woven hand than swans even at their softest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVFBTqGRjOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_dOCVMRL2Q

it's even very pretty at times, but theres still some dread lurking beneath the surface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHTgeP4uKo

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

got randomly invited to this russian guy's band page on fb... hmm prog doom/post-metal you say? *clicks video* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL3xD5a-ISA

:stare: ...I like it

https://templeoftorturous.bandcamp.com/album/alien-world

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Dyna Soar posted:

well, reading the actual accounts the parties involved wrote made it pretty clear that the whole thing didn't quite go as larkin grimm first said, e.g. that she was raped by gira. she also didn't press any charges, which is what you naturally should do if you're accusing someone of rape.

oh well, he's a possible rapist to people now so i guess justice was served, never mind if it's the truth or not. thank you social media.

:agreed:

I like the cut of your jib.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can someone explain what the appeal of R.I.P. is because I do not Get It at all and Riding Easy records seems to have a good lineup, but they are heavily pushing these assholes (who arent any good)

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah they suck.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

drat I forgot about this thread.

Earthless and Wovenhand are playing across the street from each other at the same time this Friday and I've never had a chance to see either of them.

I'm going to see Earthless, but gently caress, come on guys.

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Earthless and Wovenhand are playing across the street from each other at the same time this Friday and I've never had a chance to see either of them.

you're making the right choice

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They're also playing at a much better and more intimate venue.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I have not seen Earthless but Wovenhand live are intense

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

You have chosen... wisely.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there's a really good live earthless set on Frank Huang's channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sicDBhLQo4U

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Beastmaker have a sabbathy new exclusive digital EP out today to help fund their upcoming European tour. Throw some paper their way and enjoy some new doom.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I went on a rollercoaster of emotions:

1) Elder is playing Austin on 10/20!
2) Hmm, better check my calendar to make sure I'll be in town
3) Aw man, I already have something scheduled for that evening
4) It's the Elder show! Because I bought the ticket 3 months ago

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Trabant posted:

I went on a rollercoaster of emotions:

1) Elder is playing Austin on 10/20!
2) Hmm, better check my calendar to make sure I'll be in town
3) Aw man, I already have something scheduled for that evening
4) It's the Elder show! Because I bought the ticket 3 months ago

:downs:

Add another step "oh man, they only play Gemini off Dead Roots Stirring and then it's all new stuff" :(