Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Welcome- to the previous century of posting I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
FWIW, below is a detailed log I wrote up but never posted of last year's Gamescom preview of Alpha 3.0 mission design last year. I thought it would useful to break it down into activity type, to get a snapshot of their vision for what an hour of gameplay in 3.0 should really feel like. Might as well post it here, considering what Erin apparently said and on the eve of (maybe) an update on THE VISION.

One of the key determinants of MMO success (and any game, really) is the enjoyability of the core game loops, and that preview is quite telling. Though it never was turned into a graph, even a quick eyeballing shows what the core player activities are, the majorities being stuff like: TIME SPENT IDLE IN TRANSIT (IN SHIP), TIME SPENT IDLE IN TRANSIT (ON FOOT). There is very little that could be confused for fun, and what little of it they do include appears faked via the use of unseen participants in the demo.

GAMESCOM 2016 ALPHA 3.0 PREVIEW

WAKE UP GET THE MISSION

0:49 start
1:09 - 1:37 - Message received
1:49 - - Check mission manager.
2:08 - Proceeds directly to the landing pad (without getting ship.)
3:08 - Arrives at landing pad, Chris awaits. Abrupt cut.

ENTERS SHIP / FLIGHT TO DELEMAR

3:49 - Enters Freelancer.
4:13 - Enters co-pilot’s seat.
4:28 - Departure.
5:10 - Starmap “Early work in progress” is opened.
6:15 - Delemar is selected as destination
6:16 - 6:38 Quantum Travel
6:39 - 7:38 - Flyby of orbital station
7:39 - 7:43 Quantum drive to Levski

ATMOSPHERIC DESCENT TO PLANET, BRIEF TOUR ON SURFACE

8:45 - 9:12 Entering atmosphere.
9:14 - Atmospheric flight model down to surface
10:39 - Landing and exit
11:28 - Ship moved twice because Chris couldn’t re-enter
12:13 - Re-entering Ship
12:27 - Back in co-pilot’s seat, flight follows
13:25 - Request landing
14:33 - Touchdown in Levski

SHIP EXIT / ELEVATOR / TOUR LOBBY / ELEVATOR TO BAZAAR

15:03 - Exits ship, which leaves.
16:00 - 16:18 Enters and exits airlock
16:26 - Calls elevator.
16:36 - Elevator arrives.
16:46 - Lobby Button pushed
16:54 - Exits elevator to lobby, tour
18:36 - Calls elevator
18:57 - Elevator arrives
19:02 - “Go Down” - an elevator with 5 floors doesn’t let you choose your floor? So presumably you have to “go down” 4 times?
19:30 - Elevator arrives, exit
20:20 - Begins descent into the bazaar. Tour begins.
22:24 - Finds cafe

MEET WITH MISSION GIVE IN CAFE

22:51 - Meets with mission giver. Finally.
23:35 - Mission description complete.
23:47 - Mobiglass consulted to check details of mission
24:25 - Close mobiglass
23:46 - Mission accepted (3000 aUEC is reward)
23:54 - Begins trek back to ship
26:00 - Elevator 1 ride begins
26:30— Elevator 1 ride ends
26:54 - Elevator 2 ride begins
27:11 - Elevator 2 ride ends
27:15 - Airlock
27:33 — Landing pad approach, mission check, ship leaves and returns
28:30 — Enters Freelancer

BACK IN FREELANCER

28:45 - Freelancer departure
30:35 - Quantum jump to asteroid field in search for missing Starfarer

ASTEROID FIELD- COMBAT

31:23 - Pirates arrive yet do not attack. One is destroyed instantly.
32:38 - Second pirate destroyed. Neither attacked the player.

EXIT FREELANCER / APPROACHING

33:00 - Approach the Starfarer.
33:41 - EVA exit to ship. Searching for entrance.
35:17 — Enters ship through hole
35:32 — Pirate encountered, kills 1, search continues
37:10 - Blackbox retrieved (!)
37:50 - New message received from Miles
38:41 - Message completed - 3000 Credits received
39:07 - New mission accepted, exit begins
40:08 - Pirate 2 encountered. Battle begins
40:41 - Pirate 2 killed, exit continues

DRAGONFLY

41:21 - Dragonfly discovered
41:47— Dragonfly boarded. {Players will surely not be able to gain free vehicles for performing missions, will they?)
42:04 - Heading to Freelancer
43:40 - Dragonfly enters Freelancer

DEPARTURE TO MOON

44:24 - Heading to moon. Pirate camp visible from space.
45:44 - Dragonfly flown out to moon.

COMBAT

46:20 - Combat with ground vehicle begins.
47:21 - First enemy killed after circle strafe shootout
48:55 - Second player exits vehicle, FPS shootout
50:00 - Freelancer finishes off second enemy
50:48 - Grabby hands of unidentified box on Moon bases.
51:34 - After walking from station, box dropped for player 2 to retrieve

SURPRISE

51:40 - New video message received
52:16 - Double cross revealed. 3 enemy ships fly into view, presumably to attack and retrieve cargo. Mission ends on cliffhanger, begging many questions about what remains to complete the mission, and how betrayal by a major mission giver will impact that player's relationship with that mission giver going forward.

It's year 5, guys. Hope you hired somebody to start thinking about how to put some Fun in this thing. You can't put that off forever.

1900!

(And I killed thread momentum once again... sorry guys. I just wanted to contribute something even though I'm duty bound elsewhere for much of the day... forgive me.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 24, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So after all this they are only going to show 3.0 in their big presentation. How are people going to fall for this, I know they will because they are loving cultists but how? How can people take what they saw last year and reconcile it with the poo poo they are showing right now and then contrast it with what they'll show tomorrow? Aw poo poo man everything was faked last year, it was poo poo just yesterday and somehow its great now!? Sign me the gently caress up where is my credit card!?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
OnPhysicsPostStep is trying to set position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the position in the grid that's different from the grid of the current Zone the

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Any box carrying at Gamescom?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, boxes full of money.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

happyhippy posted:

Surprisingly no. It's amazing how low the bar for gameplay is and the fact that they still fail to get over that bar.

Or.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, boxes full of money.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The citizens who were hoping it would take 8 hours to unload their ship must be devastated.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Truga posted:

I still like everything SC is promising, it's exactly my kind of autism heaven. What it's delivering, however...

I wish SC delivered John Cleese.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

can we autoban everyone using the word dragon dildo?
It was fun the first time, we've been long past funny.
Autobahn?

Karl?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Polish Avenger posted:

The only hole this theory has is the netcode. Assuming there is none, this is a really attractive theory. Really, for this demo there should be little evidence of network desync (but Star Citizen finds a way!). But knowing that the netcode is so hosed that you get desync in the same room as the server and the other clients, it's not a stretch to think there are no scaling issues and it's just the lovely netcode and a terrible flight model causing everything we are seeing.

Is there any reason to believe there's any "netcode" being shown here at all? They could be using a TCP LAN build or whatever the relevant TLAs would be in this case.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ben Lesnick, Developer

Chris Roberts, Project Manager

Sandi Gardiner, Actress

Jared Huckabee, Honest

Brian Chambers, Knowledgeable

Erin Roberts, Leader

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So after all this they are only going to show 3.0 in their big presentation. How are people going to fall for this, I know they will because they are loving cultists but how? How can people take what they saw last year and reconcile it with the poo poo they are showing right now and then contrast it with what they'll show tomorrow? Aw poo poo man everything was faked last year, it was poo poo just yesterday and somehow its great now!? Sign me the gently caress up where is my credit card!?

I bet most of CIG don't know what's going to be shown tomorrow because of leak fear. I also wouldn't trust Chris Roberts saying they won't show anything from SQ42 either, that fella seems to lie a lot.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

Star Citizen - i don't think any of that is true.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

im dying

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You don't understand it because you're not invested in it. Having been there, I can tell you that it's really loving hard to give up something after putting hundreds (if not thousands) of hours and dollars into a dream. Chris is extremely good at telling people what they want to hear, and the kind of people who are still invested are the ones who really want to hear it. Hell even now, nearly a year after I got my refund, I saw the Cutlass flying over the planet while the guy tried to snipe ships on the ground and thought "wow that looks really good, I wish I had kept my Cutlass because I could see that being a lot of fun". But then I saw the glitches, and the failures, and the reset, and remembered that no amount of dreams is going to make Chris any more competent or CIG any less hosed. It takes an immense amount of effort for someone to get outside of their perspective and see Star Citizen for what it is, as opposed to what people want it to be. Accepting that CIG has failed, that after nearly six years of development they have nothing close to what they should, also means that you need to accept that you as a backer have failed. You made a mistake and have wasted all of that time, effort, and (if you can't get a refund) money encouraging the ego of a narcissistic "visionary" who lacks the competence and professionalism to actually deliver on his marketing. You have to accept that you look like an idiot, and a lot of people would rather maintain the delusion than accept that. It's one of the ways that scammers maintain their scam.

I have no problem telling people I hosed up and trusted Chris Roberts long past when I should have. I bought in to the bullshit, gave him money, encouraged other people around here and elsewhere to do the same, and it was only because of this community that I was able to maintain enough of a perspective to get out. I traveled to Boston for the Arena Commander reveal, laundered nearly $30,000 in starships from Goons and other people, spent hundreds of my own dollars long past when I should have stopped, and wasted thousands of hours arguing over the stupidest bullshit imaginable. While not a total loss (I made friendships I maintain to this day, and have some truly amazing memories), I have to acknowledge that I allowed myself to be fooled. And for that I do indeed look foolish.

It's hard to understand unless you've been there. When you're inside the bubble (and Chris Roberts projects an incredible Reality Distortion Field) it's hard to get out.

Great post man. :sympathy:

For those who don't know, Beer was an absolute god over at the RSI forums. He contributed incredibly well-reasoned posts that provided valuable, insightful feedback to CIG. He was openly critical when it was appropriate, and praised CIG when they did well. He really was the ideal citizen. Balanced, thoughtful, and most importantly, held CIG's feet to the fire when they needed it. But the toxic, ignorant community ostracized him for having a view that was not pure hype and positivity.

I know exactly the moment in the cutlass you're describing. In fairness, it was a great moment. But as we all know, that's the CIG way. When you have an unbiased perspective, you quickly zoom out to 30,000 feet, and see it's just a tiny island with one coconut tree surrounded by an open ocean of utter failure and unsustainable incompetence. They produce these infinitesimally small snapshots which are machine-stamped, boxed, and shipped to the marketing department to be repackaged and advertised en masse for the sole purpose of increased revenue.

The fact is, Chris Roberts doesn't actually like video games. If he did, he would be talking about and (more importantly) showing gameplay. He would be driving his organization to produce a game that you can play. Star Citizen would be something you could actually play without tumbling down the matchstick house. He would be uncompromising in his pursuit of a fun experience for the end-user. Instead, he compromises Star Citizen The Game at every turn out of unfathomable, incalculable narcissism. In reality, his entire world view is centered around building a cinematic monument to his "genius." All he really wants is a perpetual sizzle real. He wants that roaring applause when the space commando flips the helmet in the air and pulls it on like a "badass." That "moment" right there was the pinnacle of Star Citizen. That was the plan. That was the pitch, the pledge, that's every 10FTC, ATV, every art asset, and every line of code. Right there. The "game" is filler which acts as a simple bonding agent between stunted, imbecilic Chris Roberts mini-movies.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

G0RF posted:

FWIW, below is a detailed log I wrote up but never poster of last year's Gamescom preview of Alpha 3.0 mission design last year. I thought it would useful to break it down into activity type, to get a snapshot of their vision for what an hour of gameplay in 3.0 should really feel like. Might as well post it here, considering what Erin apparently said and on the eve of (maybe) an update on THE VISION.

One of the key determinants of MMO success (and any game, really) is the enjoyability of the core game loops, and that preview is quite telling. Though it never was turned into a graph, even a quick eyeballing shows what the core player activities are, the majorities being stuff like: TIME SPENT IDLE IN TRANSIT (IN SHIP), TIME SPENT IDLE IN TRANSIT (ON FOOT). There is very little that could be confused for fun, and what little of it they do include appears faked via the use of unseen participants in the demo.
That's insane. Like, an hour to get to the quest? I'm thinking of some old school WoW quests, where you were running around all over the place for a terrible reward. In the year 2017 that's been streamlined so you go to a place and can get into the quest right away. At least initially, it's very self reinforcing because you're in and out, and then you can stumble into an adjacent area and do something else right away.

Not only has CIG not learned from one of the most successful games of this young century, but they've actually regressed in the "waste of player's time" category. Amazing.

Of course, even seeing that would be an improvement over the shitstorm on display this year. An hour of idle time to get to content beats spending 15 minutes of featureless non-content before the system melts down and you repeat your aimless wandering in a brown limbo.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Is there any reason to believe there's any "netcode" being shown here at all? They could be using a TCP LAN build or whatever the relevant TLAs would be in this case.

The tough part with anything like this is wondering if CIG could make a demo branch using TCP instead of UDP and not gently caress it up so bad it doesn't work at all. They do so little in a year we don't really know that they are capable of doing anything.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

100% guaranteed Chris will not go on that stage without a giant sandworm in his pocket to pull out and amaze people with. Figuratively speaking. Whatever this year's Sandworm is, he's had people cooking it up for months. There is only one part of this job he truly loves, and that is starring as the lead visionary in an ongoing stage fiction about the making of the world's greatest game. He is addicted to the high of adulation and manbaby worship, every bit as much as is wife is addicted to her dreams of celebrity and cultural validation by inclusion into the upper ranks of Hollywood.

Sandworm is not a joke and he will spring one on the world tomorrow.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My story is a bit different to Beer's.
I bought the game for £40 or whatever, loaded it up and thought 'This is poo poo' then began mercilessly mocking it and it's fanbase at every opportunity.
Only a few weeks later did I find out Chris Roberts was involved and at that point I just rolled my eyes and laughed. I did no research on it at all and never really thought it was anything but something new to dick around in in VR.
I'll never get a refund because having the ability to play the single worst game I have ever owned is cool and funny. The game is a poo poo idea done poorly and I am delighted to be a part of it lol

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

G0RF posted:

100% guaranteed Chris will not go on that stage without a giant sandworm in his pocket to pull out and amaze people with. Figuratively speaking. Whatever this year's Sandworm is, he's had people cooking it up for months. There is only one part of this job he truly loves, and that is starring as the lead visionary in an ongoing stage fiction about the making of the world's greatest game. He is addicted to the high of adulation and manbaby worship, every bit as much as is wife is addicted to her dreams of celebrity and cultural validation by inclusion into the upper ranks of Hollywood.

Really not sure I'm appreciating the imagery of Chris Roberts pulling his Sandworm out of his pocket to amaze people on stage G0RF. I mean, I know what you are alluding to, but that imagery just grinds to a halt after that sentence.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eldragon posted:

You have to go with the information you have available at the time. Back in 2012-2014 the project seems reasonable in scope and it had not been in development long enough to expect much output from CIG. But as time has moved farther on, and the project shows less progress, question were asked of CIG that they refused to answer.

And really, since CIG issued refunds and continues to do so, it's the buyer's fault for buying into the *dreams* and refusing to get out when ample evidence is presented to the contrary.

I just look forward to the eventual meltdown from the true believers who refuse to acknowledge the warnings.

Nah, right from the start people were buying in entirely on the reputation of Chris Roberts and I was like "That guy who hasn't made games in a decade, the last of which (with a curiously similar design spec) he was sacked from because he burned a load of money and was nowhere near having something ready to ship?" I didn't get where the hero worship was coming from, especially as David Braben aka The Guy Who Created Space Sims got none of that hype.

Back in 2012 Chris Roberts was someone who couldn't get a major publisher to give him money and that should have set off instant alarm bells for everyone.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

G0RF posted:

you know what would have been at least slightly interesting... if they took the total real and not scripted sandworm from last years demo and had it on whatever loving moon the streamers are playing on right now. let it pop out of the ground randomly, maybe spit some acid, and players could try to kill it, you know? like actual game play with teamwork, goals, rewards. it'd even fit nicely in a 15 minute timeframe. You'd think it wouldnt be hard seeing as how it all supposedly existed a year ago.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
It's like they just work for a year to make a playable demo to wow everyone at gamescom with no ability to even consider how they make that into a live game.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Santaball will be Chris's big reveal

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Polish Avenger posted:

It's like they just work for a year to make a playable demo to wow everyone at gamescom with no ability to even consider how they make that into a live game.

You dont understand Fleecing development

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

toiletbrush posted:

I dunno what advanced never-been-done-before tech CIG are using but it's behaving exactly like the physics engine I wrote like 15 years ago when I first learnt about Verlet integration. There were certain kinds of collisions it wouldn't reliably detect so you'd get crazy clipping just like we've been seeing, and then when the engine realised two bodies were intersecting it wouldn't know how to correctly project one out of the other so things would shudder or periodically 'bounce' out like that body jerking down the ramp instead of smoothly sliding in this clip . https://clips.twitch.tv/AmorphousSmallMageBleedPurple

CIG presentation tomorrow : "We will be introducing our brand new, never done before tech, we are calling it Verlet integration, it has a few flaws that needed refactoring. There were certain kinds of collisions it wouldn't reliably detect so you'd get crazy clipping just like we've been seeing, and then when the engine realised two bodies were intersecting it wouldn't know how to correctly project one out of the other so things would shudder or periodically 'bounce' out like that body jerking down the ramp instead of smoothly sliding in this clip . But we are confident this groundbreaking tech will be good for Star Citizen because..."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The big reveal will be a battle royale mode for star marine. The circle will instantly go from maximum to minimum radius killing all the commandos. CIG will spend 18 months trying to make the circle shrink in increments, a new style of game will be at the top of the steam charts and no one will give a poo poo about battle royale anymore.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lazrin posted:

i don't think any of that is true.

You didn't need the last five words there.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Tell me who I am. Who do you think I am, what makes you think that, and how can you be so sure without proof? I'm a lowly backer and that's all you need to know.

A lowly backer that is curiously on-point.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I showed my billing info. AP has a spreadsheet - he's my SA-provided bookkeeper. Go bother him.

...and saucy with it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

After watching most of this fiasco it just dawned on me.

Roberts has basically tried to make "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" into a MMORPG.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rigs:_Over_the_Road_Racing

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What. The. gently caress?

http://i.imgur.com/aF6wmFn.mp4

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Colostomy Bag posted:

Roberts has basically tried to make "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" into a movie.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

immersed the camera in the wall

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Colostomy Bag posted:

Roberts has basically tried to make "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" into a MMORPG.

Heh. I was having the same thought earlier today.

But what does this mean for the Citizens? Surely, it must be a good thing.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Percelus posted:

i'm not a game dev or anything but it seems like even at this late date they would be better off just starting from scratch and creating an engine capable of doing what he promised, instead they are going with the build a poo poo game in a broken engine route

If I were Chris Robbems I would have offered the Hellion devs $5 million for their source code and expertise for a year or two. Import all your art assets into their engine, wrap up the features they are already working on, release it and call it Star Citizen v0.8 or what the gently caress ever.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

Heh. I was having the same thought earlier today.

But what does this mean for the Citizens? Surely, it must be a good thing.

Well it shares the same physics.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hopefully when this is all over Croberts will have the same rep as Sergey Titov

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Polish Avenger posted:

The tough part with anything like this is wondering if CIG could make a demo branch using TCP instead of UDP and not gently caress it up so bad it doesn't work at all. They do so little in a year we don't really know that they are capable of doing anything.

Well, we know where they're heading - https://github.com/networkprotocol/yojimbo

That's so much a generic stack that I'm still not quite understanding why they aren't using the mature one that they already have, apart from the whole 'jamming packets down a pipe' 'we cannae change the laws of physics' brick wall.

Oh, and to MoMa's 'EC2 with autoscaling', that's really not how poo poo works. Autoscaling works by setting a specific metric, then spawning a new EC2 instance; latency between making the request and the instance answering is in the minute range, and is something that you'd work out on a trailing and following model of keeping an overhead on hot standby. Netflix's chaos monkey actually goes farther and spins up 10x instances, measuring response time and killing the 70% that are slowest.

Y'see, Amazon doesn't guarantee performance on EC2. You can even go for a lower tier of pricing that has your poo poo garbage collected really aggressively, but the actual network and compute performance varies wildly. Amazon is the Walmart of hosting at the moment, and the best model for it is actually event-based microservices backed by data stores of various types (S3, RDS, etc). 'Autoscaling' is the cloud equivalent of a white whale; if you need it, you need to come up with something better than the Amazon model.

Now, what I'm seeing in the actual streams isn't revolutionary or even that interesting in terms of the client-server model that they have going; they're running into the same problems everyone has, and that's part of the problem. If you're effectively re-treading old ground, why are you not benefiting from everyone else's faceplants? Why does Item2.0 exist? Are they over-abstracting on the basis that Moore's law will overcome the inherent inefficiencies? Because networking isn't advancing at the same speed as GPUs.

big nipples big life posted:

The big reveal will be a battle royale mode for star marine. The circle will instantly go from maximum to minimum radius killing all the commandos. CIG will spend 18 months trying to make the circle shrink in increments, a new style of game will be at the top of the steam charts and no one will give a poo poo about battle royale anymore.

This or a racing game for ground vehicles, with a track and poo poo.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Could be LAN, null modem or wet noodle, you still need netcode to hit a server. We're long past the days of worrying about the network; long live TCP/IP.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 24, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I've found a game that might stand a chance of beating SC as far as fidelity and scope and vision goes.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
does anyone have a list of good clips from todays stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
At some point it will dawn on Crobblers that the publishers he worked with in the past were not working against him but were actually protecting him (and themselves of course) from being ridiculed to no end for being a fraud.

I mean even the community has started posing the question of who is there to shoot Crobbls down when he goes off on yet another parp tangent about new fidelitious features and sand worms.