Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
It has to be premeditated to be murder, if the sub goon planned to murder her he did it really badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okua
Oct 30, 2016

Re: submarine murder
The police are checking old cases and it turns out that this is not the first time a female torso washed up in Copenhagen's harbour. There was also one back in 1986, and it was identified as that of a 22-year old japanese tourist. The case was never solved.
Source in Danish

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Madsen would have been 16-17 at the time. Maybe... Probably not.

But just maybe...

I gotta admit, torso murderer from Copenhagen is Nordic Noir as gently caress.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

It has to be premeditated to be murder, if the sub goon planned to murder her he did it really badly.

Denmark doesn't have a equivalent to second degree murder? (any intentional murder with malice aforethought, but is not premeditated or planned)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bushmeister posted:

Madsen would have been 16-17 at the time. Maybe... Probably not.

But just maybe...

I gotta admit, torso murderer from Copenhagen is Nordic Noir as gently caress.

For real. Copenhagen has torsos washing ashore, while all British Columbia can do is have feet washing ashore. For shame, Canada, you're getting one-upped.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

For real. Copenhagen has torsos washing ashore, while all British Columbia can do is have feet washing ashore. For shame, Canada, you're getting one-upped.

Hey, a dismembered torso showed up in the dumpster behind a butcher shop a few blocks away from my house last year and I live in Toronto :colbert:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Bamabalacha posted:

Hey, a dismembered torso showed up in the dumpster behind a butcher shop a few blocks away from my house last year and I live in Toronto :colbert:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Bamabalacha posted:

Did you ever eat anything from that butchers..?

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Amphigory posted:

Did you ever eat anything from that butchers..?

Hahaha, nope. I'm trying to find more recent news about the case, but this is all I got:

https://www.thestar.com/amp/news/crime/2016/08/19/murder-charge-in-case-of-remains-found-behind-toronto-butcher-shop.html

We also had a car chase earlier this week where a guy ran into some undercover cops AND fruit stand before escaping on foot. Basically an 80s movie chase scene.

And Riverdale/Leslieville is a really nice neighborhood, but the major streets like Gerrard and Dundas still have lots of sketchy poo poo and stretches.

Bamabalacha has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Aug 24, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ranbo das posted:

The fact that he had the gear to dismember the corpse plus a bunch of heavy stuff to weigh it down plus the foresight to try to put holes in the body to prevent it from floating makes it seem like it really wasn't "oh poo poo accident happened good thing I have my serial killing gear on hand!"

It was on a submarine, you don't go on a submarine trip without tons of tools and heavy equipment. Anyway, he probably did it regardless.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bamabalacha posted:

I think I've been there; their pork is really good.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think I've been there; their pork is really good.

Best Long Pork in the Province eh

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

funmanguy posted:

Lowtax posted:

I like it because he is ugly and that's funny.

I'm ugly IRL so it works.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I've recently been reading Will Bardenwerper's new book THE PRISONER IN HIS PALACE: Saddam Hussein, His American Guards, and What History Leaves Unsaid

It's a really fascinating book, examining the relationship between Saddam Hussein and the 12 Americans assigned the guard him. One thing I'm really impressed with is the way in one chapter you feel bad for Saddam and want to view him as a kindly old man living out his last days and the very next reading about him murdering dozens of his 'rivals' in 1979..after threatening to have their daughters raped in front of them if they didn't confess to false crimes, and then have them executed anyway and videotaping their deaths. (http://www.executedtoday.com/2013/07/22/1979-saddam-husseins-baath-party-coup/)

It's really, really uncomfortable reading about someone who does something like that and then read about them giving dating advice to some random American guard. Also, one of the FBI agents assigned to interrogate Saddam had the worst luck; he's sent to Iraq for three months, is forced to probe into some truly horrific crimes and less then a month after he gets home his wife dies of a diagnosed heart condition.

https://warontherocks.com/2017/07/the-unvarnished-tyrant-american-soldiers-and-the-final-months-of-saddam/

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/books/the-prisoner-in-his-palace-review-the-last-days-of-saddam-1.13725986

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nckdictator posted:

So, I've recently been reading Will Bardenwerper's new book THE PRISONER IN HIS PALACE: Saddam Hussein, His American Guards, and What History Leaves Unsaid

It's a really fascinating book, examining the relationship between Saddam Hussein and the 12 Americans assigned the guard him. One thing I'm really impressed with is the way in one chapter you feel bad for Saddam and want to view him as a kindly old man living out his last days and the very next reading about him murdering dozens of his 'rivals' in 1979..after threatening to have their daughters raped in front of them if they didn't confess to false crimes, and then have them executed anyway and videotaping their deaths. (http://www.executedtoday.com/2013/07/22/1979-saddam-husseins-baath-party-coup/)

It's really, really uncomfortable reading about someone who does something like that and then read about them giving dating advice to some random American guard. Also, one of the FBI agents assigned to interrogate Saddam had the worst luck; he's sent to Iraq for three months, is forced to probe into some truly horrific crimes and less then a month after he gets home his wife dies of a diagnosed heart condition.

https://warontherocks.com/2017/07/the-unvarnished-tyrant-american-soldiers-and-the-final-months-of-saddam/

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/books/the-prisoner-in-his-palace-review-the-last-days-of-saddam-1.13725986

It can be disturbing to be reminded that even the worst humanity have to offer are still people who feel emotions and have to self reflect in some manner. It's not necessarily wrong to be empathetic with/feel pity for absolutely monstrous human beings as long as you don't cross the line into making excuses for the wrongs they commit. And actually that would probably be a good addition to this thread if we can find a decent article or examples about it: fan boys/girls of dictators or serial killers etc and what drives their passion

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DumbparameciuM posted:

Best Long Pork in the Province eh

Only since they caught Robert Pickton.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
A teen girl moves in with her birth mother, and is abused and murdered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ody-police-say/

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Cult time!

This previous week, arrests were made of two very active, very loud, and incredibly sinister cult leaders - "Generals" James and Deborah Green, leaders of the Aggressive Christianity Missionary Training Corps (ACMTC for short.)

Founded in Sacramento in the early 1980's, the cult was inspired by Native American traditions and the militarism of the Salvation Army. James and Deborah (then known as Lila) took the military aspects of the Salvation Army and turned it to the complete extreme. They considered themselves "God's Army," and had khaki uniforms made for all of their members - who, by the way, had to live in a three-house compound if they wanted to be in the group. Members were treated to Lila's fiery sermons, one of which you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9HHJxGl4LM (this looks to be uploaded by a member, but is complete with super creepy music, so - there ya go), and the group engaged in practices of a heavily Pentecostal persuasion. This included but was not limited to Lila writhing around on the floor when she felt the presence of "a demon," the laying on of hands by all members of the group, and speaking in tongues.

By 1984, they were fifty members strong - this number included lots of children. Prayer meetings were held at 5:00 AM sharp, and members had to "stand at attention," or face loud and shrieking chastisement from Lila. Members were woken up in the middle of the night to pray, a ritual called "guard duty" (this is a common cult tactic - sleep deprived people lose their critical thinking skills.)

Parents were instructed to beat their children with leather belts regularly, particularly if they made the slightest noise - this applied to toddlers making cooing noises during sermons. This physical abuse was seen as a method to shape children into "soldiers." One child (roughly three years old) was kept alone in a basement for days at a time for disobedience.

Several members who had been excommunicated filed suit against the Greens in 1988, spearheaded by one member who had been forced to live in a shed for several weeks in the winter. She had little food, no running water, and was addressed only as "forsaken" by the other members, included her own children. The lawsuit sought $20 million total in punitive and compensatory damages. The Greens never appeared in court, and the excommunicated woman was awarded $1.2 million. The Greens and the members of their cult - rather than pay damages - fled their compound, but not before nearly demolishing it as they left.

I have a difficult time piecing events together between this and their arrival in New Mexico. It seems like they traveled the American west fairly extensively - in their own telling of the story, they traveled to Klamath Falls, Oregon (where they picked up the name "Life Force Team" which is like what a six year old might come up with). The story gets really muddy there, but they eventually resurfaced in New Mexico, buying an old school building to use as their new compound in 1993 or so. They'd switched to black uniforms by then, and Lila had changed her name to Deborah, and now they were officially the Aggressive Christianity Missionary Training Corps . A local man who had been looking for a Bible group to join described their services thusly - "They had sort of holy roller-type prayer meetings in the mornings and in the evenings where everyone rolled around on the floor and talked in tongues."

That's where the trail on this cult goes pretty quiet. That is, until just last week - story here.

On Tuesday, a member of the cult was arrested for letting her twelve year old son succumb to a horrific case of the flu, in which pus (spelled "puss" on the arrest warrant) was oozing from his head. Additionally, horrifically, and unsurprisingly, the Greens were also arrested - for more than one hundred counts of sexual penetration of a minor, as well as child abuse. This arrest also makes mention of some possible human trafficking (?!) that Deborah was engaged in. There are still at least eighteen children living on the compound.

I'm really glad to see these fucks in custody, and I hope it sticks. Deborah can have fun preaching hellfire to her in-cell toilet every morning.

(oh, the Southern Poverty Law Center also listed the ACMTC as a hate group for many, many years for their homophobia and Islamophobia, but I assumed that went without saying)

If you'd like to watch an interview with the woman who filed the lawsuit and her daughter, it's here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URqNotCwt7A. That episode also features a former member of the FLDS church speaking about Warren Jeffs, who has got to be, officially, The Creepiest Man on Earth. Also there's Quizno's ads someone neglected to fully edit out.

Another article here. And hey, if you'd like to see some writing straight from the horse's mouth, check out their official website. It's Geocities-tastic!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.gendisasters.com/

Found this site which seems to gather various news articles on "disasters" from the past.

Admittedly some of what it considers "disasters" might be stretching it.

http://www.gendisasters.com/pennsylvania/8238/allentown-pa-purse-falls-fire-aug-1909

quote:

BENDING OVER STOVE $90 GOES UP IN SMOKE

FELL OUT OF MRS. GRANITZ WAIST WHILE SHE WAS COOKING.

ALLENTOWN, Pa., Aug. 7.---As she bent over the fire in the kitchen stove preparing the evening meal a purse containing $90, all the money she had in the world and representing the savings of years, fell out of the bosom of the dress of Mrs. Frank Granitz, of No. 530 North Jordan street, and landed in the fire.

The money was all in bills, and before Mrs. Granitz had time to realize what had happened it was in ashes. She collapsed when she realized her loss and has been sick since.

Wilkes-Barre Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA 7 Aug 1909

http://www.gendisasters.com/massachusetts/16595/boston-ma-fell-kettle-fat-oct-1870

quote:

Death by Falling into a Kettle of Boiling Fat--

BOSTON, Oct. 11.--In Somerville, last evening, H. C. LINCOLN, of the firm of LINCOLN & CHAMBERLAIN, lard manufacturers, fell into a large kettle of boiling fat. He was immediately taken out and lived one hour.

The New York Times, New York, NY 12 Oct 1870

http://www.gendisasters.com/new-york/2609/ticonderoga%2C-ny-practical-joke-causes-death%2C-sept-1889

quote:

THURSDAY night, at Ticonderoga, N. Y., John Gordon, an employe[sic] of a paper mill, fell asleep near the machinery, and two other workmen, to scare him, tied a rope about his feet and then threw it over a revolving shaft. They could not cut the rope in time and Gordon was killed. One of the practical jokers has become insane from the shock.

The Sunday Inter Ocean, Chicago, IL 14 Sept 1889

http://www.gendisasters.com/illinois/7235/chicago-il-lit-cigar-while-hair-soaked-tonic-dec-1893

quote:

THE DEADLY HAIR TONIC.

A Man Who Lit a Cigar While His Hair Was Soaked With Tonic.

Chicago Tribune.

Men who persist in smoking while in a barber's chair may profit by the experience of Henry Hallenstein, who was frightfully burned about the face, head and neck in Alfred Otto's barber shop. He is now at his home swathed in bandages, and vows he will never again attempt to light a cigar while a barber is putting tonic on his hair.

Fritz Holz, the barber who was catering to his customer's wants, fared almost as badly as Mr. Hallenstein. His right hand was burned and one-half of his long blonde mustache was singed in such a manner that he was obliged to trim it short.

Shortly after dinner Hallenstein went over to Otto's barber shop for a shave. Everything went along smoothly until Mr. Hallenstein was shaved. "What will you have on your hair?" asked the barber. Mr. Hallenstein knew that Fritz wanted him to use Mr. Otto's tonic and he consented.

The barber had doused a considerable amount of this liquid on Mr. Hallenstein's head when the latter decided he wanted a smoke. He pulled out a cigar and asked for a light. There were no matches at hand, so he took a piece of shaving paper, folded it up and lighted it from the gas jet. As he brought the burning paper close to the cigar the alcoholic fumes from the tonic ignited. There was a sudden flash of flame and Mr. Hallenstein, screaming at the top of his voice, leaped from the chair. Fritz grabbed a towel and as quickly as possible smothered the flames. Mr. Hallenstein was burned badly about the face, ears and neck. The skin had all peeled off. His eyelashes, mustache and hair were badly singed.

Fritz himself had not escaped injuries. His right hand was severely burned. One-half of his long mustache was burned away. When one of his fellow barbers took a pair of shears and clipped the other side to make it match Fritz almost cried with grief.

The Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 30 Dec 1893

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Those are loving morbid.

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

I enjoyed this joke in the article:

quote:

During the Second World War he stumbled on Mossdale. In a reserved occupation as an aircraft designer, with most cavers at war, he recruited as aides some game but unsuspecting aircraft-factory girls. Few, he admits, came twice.

^^^^
Holy poo poo at the one about the workplace prank, "One of the practical jokers has become insane from the shock." I guess that makes sense.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Infyrno posted:

^^^^
Holy poo poo at the one about the workplace prank, "One of the practical jokers has become insane from the shock." I guess that makes sense.

Guess you can say it made him a little loopy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Blue Moonlight posted:

A teen girl moves in with her birth mother, and is abused and murdered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ody-police-say/

Goddamn piece of human trash.

quote:

The sheriff told the Ozark County Times he wants the mother put to death.

He and I both.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

hey there unnerving wikipedia article thread. in the previous thread, someone posted a book about a true crime/unsolved murder that had taken place in japan. if anyone knows what i'm talking about and the name of the book, that would be amazing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

liquid courage posted:

hey there unnerving wikipedia article thread. in the previous thread, someone posted a book about a true crime/unsolved murder that had taken place in japan. if anyone knows what i'm talking about and the name of the book, that would be amazing.

Was it People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Lloyd Parry?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Yes! Thanks a lot.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
That guy has a new book coming out soon called Ghosts of the Tsunami about the survivors of that disaster attempting to cope with what happened. It expands on this incredibly affecting article he wrote a few years ago:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n03/richard-lloydparry/ghosts-of-the-tsunami

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Awesome, I'm genuinely interested in contemporary culture and social issues in Japan so I'll give it a look.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
Headline says it all.

Maybe don't read this if you have kids/know any children at all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gyrf posted:

Headline says it all.

I... I'm gonna go hug my dog for a bit I think.

Only that transcript of a tape a serial killing team kept ranks higher in terms of horrifying things I've read.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

gyrf posted:

Headline says it all.

It's cases like this that make me somewhat OK with the fact that prisoners will torture and kill child murderers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Records show that Adrian himself opened up about the abuse to child welfare workers. In a July 2013 interview with a Missouri Children’s Division worker and a police officer, Adrian — then age 5 — said his father would kick him so violently in the back of his head that a “little bone come out,” the Kansas City Star reported.

“My daddy keeps hitting me in the head and punches me in the stomach and my mom keeps pulling on my ears and it really hurts,” Adrian said. “Mommy and Daddy lock me in my room by myself. Mommy and Daddy can’t feed me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
loving A

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's cases like this that make me somewhat OK with the fact that prisoners will torture and kill child murderers.

whoops, turns out they were innocent.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gyrf posted:

Headline says it all.

I tried to read this on my phone earlier but had already gone through my monthly washpo articles without a membership. Looked it up and the other link I clicked had a bunch of pictures and videos from the self-documentation the parents did of the torture. I just read the washpo article now and combined it's just so horrifying and infuriating and now I'm pretty mad at everything

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

whoops, turns out they were innocent.

In this case I don't think that's gonna be an issue. In other cases......yeah.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Has anyone mentioned that the woman who supposedly lost her unborn baby at her gender reveal party faked her pregnancy?

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
A dude deliberately ran into the flames at burning man last night and died. There are pics at the link of him running in. :stonk:

quote:

A man has sprinted into the flames at the Burning Man festival in the US, horrifying onlookers and security who tried to stop him.

To get to the fire, the man had to run through a human-chain of security officers. Images show a firefighter trying to catch the man before he ran into the burning 15m-tall effigy, called The Man. The inferno is one of the highlights of the festival, which takes place in the Black Rock Desert in Nevada, drawing crowds of 70,000 from all over the world.

Organisers issued a statement saying: "Approximately 10.30pm Saturday evening [5.30pm Sunday, NZ time], a male participant at the annual Burning Man event in Northern Nevada broke through a safety perimeter and into into a fire. Black Rock City fire personnel rescued him from the fire."

"The individual was treated on scene, transported to the on-site medical facility and airlifted to a burn center [sic]."

On Monday morning (NZ time), Pershing County Sheriff Jerry Allen said the man, 41-year-old Aaron Joel Mitchell, had died from his injuries.

Mitchell died hours later at the UC Davis hospital burn centre in California.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
He took the festival's name waaaay too literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
serial killer abandons girl in a trailer park sometime after he kills her mother, is eventually tied to the allenstown murders in new hampshire

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...QiWM/story.html