Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hodgepodge posted:

This season is amazing and hilarious, but very dark. The joke is basically "Rick is an abusive person due to alcoholism, and probably borderline personality disorder, and Jerry is getting divorced because he's a spineless wimp." When you consider that both are stand-ins for Dan Harmon and represent aspects of his self-image, it's pretty depressing.

Dan's in a happy relationship now and receiving therapy from a head-shrinker. He's doing pretty well, as far as I can see. :)

(This, of course, assumes that he's not hiding anything on Harmontown.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

prefect posted:

Dan's in a happy relationship now and receiving therapy from a head-shrinker. He's doing pretty well, as far as I can see. :)

HE BOUGHT A GUN AND IS GOING TO KILL HIMSELF

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

maskenfreiheit posted:

HE BOUGHT A GUN AND IS GOING TO KILL HIMSELF

Self-Harmontown is another place entirely.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

logger posted:

Self-Harmontown is another place entirely.

:golfclap:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yeah, the "monologues" are important for dummies like me that have trouble getting what the narrative implies indirectly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got a portal gun from spirit.

It's cheap but neat.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

prefect posted:

I kind of assume this season is somewhat therapeutic, it just isn't pulling any punches about what he was going through.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CelticPredator posted:

It's cheap but neat.

thankyou $CONSUMER for purchasing a useless bit of pap from a $MEDIA you enjoy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm gonna turn it into a crack pipe

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

starkebn posted:

Better then waiting in line for hours to buy overpriced novelties from a novelty vehichle, most of which was sold out.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CelticPredator posted:

It's cheap but neat.

Does it do anything? Noises? Lights?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It lights up and makes noises

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

starkebn posted:

Add in more burps and "M...morty"s next time

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

CelticPredator posted:

I'm gonna turn it into a crack pipe

What do you mean, "turn into"

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
Boob-ya

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

dr_rat posted:

I've always just assumed the Central finite curve is just a bunch of universes that are easy to reach from each other. Just because there are an infinite number of universe doesn't mean that they are all equally reachable.

If that's the case, and the curve is rick'centric -which if the council of Ricks had anything to do with it, it certainly would be- then the rick at the center of the finite curve would like be just really, really average, and one of the fringes is where you would find the Rickest Rick. The other end of the curve possibly doofus Rick?

I always pictured it as like a bell curve, with "Percent Rick" along the x-axis, and universe number along the y. Or maybe it's a 3 (or more) dimensional curve, I dunno, it doesn't really matter. So the Rickest Rick is right in the middle, and either way you go the next Rick, no matter how close, isn't quite as high. Then at the far ends you have guys like Doofus Rick, Morty Rick, etc, who are drastically different, yet still technically Rick.

Avasculous posted:

I was wondering if Harmon or Roiland had ever commented on the line:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty/comments/6t7x4d/central_finite_curve_confirmed/

So their definition is broader and basically means "livable", which is too bad because I like the idea of Rick deciding out of hand that universes without him are pointless but using an objective-sounding term.

I guess that makes sense, given that the quote is "Of all the Ricks in the Central Finite Curve..." We can still have both, the Rick-curve just needs a different name.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

World Famous W posted:

Better then waiting in line for hours to buy overpriced novelties from a novelty vehichle, most of which was sold out.

I wanted to know what the merch ended up being and checked out the reddit thread about it. Jesus Christ.

A 1-register store selling exclusive collectibles for 3 hours in Brooklyn, Chicago, etc? With low stock and no enforcement of the line? Were they trying to troll as many fans as possible?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Bust Rodd posted:

I think what your experiencing is watching a show where in Seasons 1-2 the characters very rarely talked to each other for longer than it took to Quip or Snipe, but now in Season 3 you are getting scenes where the characters are decidedly done ignoring all the toxic bullshit they put each other through and need to say something about it. These are all conversations that have been bubbling under the surface and are finally coming to a head. I think the reason these come off as abarasive is because they aren't nice things to say or to hear, and it can be disconcerting to have your funny TV inkblot eye people talking about their feelings if nihilism and existential dread and longing and abandonment, but do you really want a 3rd round of "Sad thing happens while sad song about pain plays slowly, credits"?.

I think the issue is letting all the nihilism take center stage. Earlier seasons would let the cynical "nothing matters, life is hosed" attitude leak out a bit, but there'd always be wacky aliens or goop monsters or some other silly thing. Only a few episodes did the "slow walk away from a sad song" thing, which is why people remember them.

I mean, Morty growing up and realizing he's the only responsible one left is not a bad character arc, but what're they going to do for season 4? And is every episode from now on going to have to be entirely about dealing with crushing depression?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hopefully yes.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

One detail I liked was that Groupon's resistance group appeared to have an alien of a different race among them. Like, he's not the same as Groupon's people, so what's he doing there? Is he there out of duty? Friendship? Is he just a dirty mercenary? Anyway, Rick killed him with a coat bomb.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 24, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

If only the council was still around, how would they react to the Rickest Morty?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I think the issue is letting all the nihilism take center stage. Earlier seasons would let the cynical "nothing matters, life is hosed" attitude leak out a bit, but there'd always be wacky aliens or goop monsters or some other silly thing.

I think it was the first two seasons that were all about nihilism (and wacky aliens). "Nothing matters, just sit down to watch some TV with me" was basically the message of the first two seasons. This season fells more like "Nothing matters, but we are here anyway and we feel these lovely feelings and we can't keep pretending they don't exist so let's just talk about them for once and see what happens."

So I disagree that Harmon turned some knob the other way, it's just that you can't talk about nihilism the same way forever, and some ways of talking about it can't be expressed in small, sarcastic quips that can be neatly printed in t-shirts under an image of Cartoon Science Man Who Is Smarter Than You.

e: Though I absolutely agree with you that I have no idea what they are going to do with the characters next season.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Rexides posted:

e: Though I absolutely agree with you that I have no idea what they are going to do with the characters next season.

Rick remarries and Beth comes to terms with her new Stepmother. Jerry dates a highschool sweetheart that he lost connection with, and Morty goes to college.

Whacky hyjinx and more! Just wait until Summer adopts an elephant!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Rick remarries marries Unity and Beth comes to terms with her new Stepmothers.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

https://masterofallscience.com

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jonas Albrecht posted:

One detail I liked was that Groupon's resistance group appeared to have an alien of a different race among them. Like, he's not the same as Groupon's people, so what's he doing there? Is he there out of duty? Friendship? Is he just a dirty mercenary? Anyway, Rick killed him with a coat bomb.

Also, I laughed hard at his name being Groupon Risotto

They are some amazing terrible at naming things

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How did Risotto Groupon know to get on that ship?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

XBenedict posted:

Rick remarries marries Unity and Beth comes to terms with her new Stepmothers, which are 100 Patton Oswalts in red wigs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cojawfee posted:

How did Risotto Groupon know to get on that ship?

I'm assuming everyone was fleeing the busted up resort.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm assuming everyone was fleeing the busted up resort.

except that kid who's brother shot her!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I work in insurance and one of my first thoughts in that scene was how fuuuuuuuucked that resort was.

Groupon should have been thanking Rick that he wasn't the liable party for all those fatalities at a venue that probably explicitly uses immortality as an advertisement.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
It's really a miracle that all the innocent deaths and destruction weren't directly Rick's fault this go around.

OzzyManReviews Voice: I reckon the theme of the episode is forgiveness. Jerry forgiving Rick, Rick forgiving Jerry, Summer forgiving her mother, Morty not forgiving Ethan for wrecking up his Vay-K; but most importantly, Risotto Groupon who couldn't forgive Big Dick Rick. All those innocent rich fucks got killed cause one prick just couldn't move on past his own YouTube drama. In the end, Rick, Jerry, and 'Sotto walked a cosmos in each other's shoes but Rick realized that nah yeah, forgiveness is good and everything but at this point you're just gonna try to start poo poo again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a Mortyest Rick?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a Mortyest Rick?

Simple Rick.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Any giffed Jerry getting teabagged by that alien Cthulhu-kangaroo?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Any giffed Jerry getting teabagged by that alien Cthulhu-kangaroo?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Flawless.

The longer I let it play, the longer I think it still has to play.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

This is Jerry's metaphor for life right now.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I hope I am not the only one who missed it, but I just noticed that the alien's testes in that scene are positioned right beneath Rick's legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Finally saw the new episode. God drat Morty! :stare: