Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

canyoneer posted:

Campaign for North Outer Rim

It also gets a little weird too with what faction you put things in. Is the Trade Federation their own faction? They have like, 6 onscreen units, no hero/commanders, and not a lot of EU stuff beyond it.
How about the Clone army? Do they go with the Rebels because they're the good guys in the films, or do they go with Imperials because they're going to be stormtroopers in 5 years anyway?

I don't think anyone's really excited to see a gungan army slinging blue softballs behind dinosaur shield generators

Trade Federation is part of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, and they have B1 battle droids, B2 super battle droids, BX commando droids, Droideka destroyers, Droideka sharpshooters, Magnaguard, dwarf spider droids, tactical droids, and super tactical droids for infantry; Armored assault tanks, Hailfire tanks, Proton cannons, Crab droids, Troop transports, Spider Droids for vehicles; and Vulture, Tri, Rogue, Hyena, HMP Droid Gunship and Belbullab-22 starfighters/bombers.

Clone infantry would be largely uniform and split by support weapon access like missile launchers and rotary guns, and with veterancy, but also with ARC troopers, and Clone Commando squads; for vehicles they have speeders and swoop bikes, AT-TE, AT-OT, AT-RT, AT-AP, Juggernaut, Stun cannon, A7V artillery, Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery Turbolaser; and Y Wing, V Wing, Torrent, ARC-170, Z-95, Aethersprite, Actis, and Republic gunships for flyers.

These are things that all appeared in the prequel trilogy and/or the clone wars show

CIS, Republic, Empire, Rebellion can all be separate factions.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

I guess Imperials mostly just get a bunch of variations of Stormtroopers though.

Its not like that really matters in other games. If you play space marines in 40k you basically have: space marines, space marines with jetpacks, space marines with HUGE GLOVES, space marines with slightly bigger guns, ect ect.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
With only 2 factions you probably need to ramp the variety in each up a bit though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Scout troopers, Storm troopers, Shock troopers, Death troopers, Rocket troopers, Special forces commandos, Imperial Super Commandos, KX enforcer droids, Security droids, probe droids

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I want space troopers

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'd just like some fuckin battle droids instead of people who seem to hate 15 year old movies enough to still actively not want any of the cool characters or aesthetic in their stormtrooper game; it's absolutely nuts

I mean X-Wing had to dig into fuckin video games before they brought in prequel ships for some reason because nerds are so toxically moronic about three movies they haven't even seen since 1999

i'm just salty because a lot of dumbasses with disposable money are keeping companies with star war licenses from doing anything interesting with an entire half of the franchise with their endless whining, except for stuff for young people because that's the half they prefer

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would absolutely buy a reskinned Thunder Alley/Formula D game that had podracers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean X-Wing had to dig into fuckin video games before they brought in prequel ships for some reason because nerds are so toxically moronic about three movies they haven't even seen since 1999

They achieved it with the Rebel Refit ARC-170 but this has more to do with how you can't easily shoehorn ships from the Prequel factions into the existing factions of the OT and Sequel Eras.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AndyElusive posted:

They achieved it with the Rebel Refit ARC-170 but this has more to do with how you can't easily shoehorn ships from the Prequel factions into the existing factions of the OT and Sequel Eras.

Sure you can, "these old clone war-era fighters were set for scrapping, until they were liberated from the bone yards by sympathisers/profiteers, and pressed into Rebel/Scum service"

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

it's their game, they can do what they want really, can't they? either do what NTRabbit says there or just make CIS Rebels and Republic the Empire or make them any faction or whatever they want

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I think the X-Wing designers have said that they didn't do prequel stuff because they were consistently getting cool content from the other EU stuff and Rebels (they are big fans of the Rebels series)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont think Disney will let them do whatever they want

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hell, if they wanted they could easily include the N-1 Starfighter with Princess Leia as a pilot.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah but Rebels is heading into the final season, that well is about to run dry.

What they really need to do is add a scum faction to Armada using repurposed CIS and Republic Navy ships like I explained above, but they won't.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Uh no thanks

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If you really want to do this, do what everyone who pines for Scum Naboo Starfighters versus Empire Refit Vulture Droids does and just homebrew your poo poo.

Just don't actually expect FFG to start throwing a bunch of Separatist and Republic starfighters into X-Wing anytime soon or think the reason they won't is because of some OT fanboy hate.

With Legion though, there's no good reason to keep it just in the Civil War Era and not expand into Prequel territory.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Theres not enough poo poo in the prequels to support entire factions. Theres like what...2 types of battle droid and like 2 vehicles in AotC that may or may not even fit the scale. Ok cool wave 1 of a droid faction literally used everything seen on screen...then what? Its not like theres a ton of EU poo poo to pull from like x-wing. And if the game goes on for a few years you need a huge supply of stuff to pull from otherwise FFG has to just make up poo poo themselves which is a loving long, involved process that requires a bunch of disney back and forth. In xwings entire existence they made exactly 1 ship from scratch.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

Its not like theres a ton of EU poo poo to pull from like x-wing.

You're kidding right

Because the game is shipping with Stormtroopers, of which there are maybe maybe a dozen if you stretch deep, deep into the EU to include like, minor helmet variations or like, entire models where the only difference is an orange shoulder patch

Here are some droids using only the movies and Clone Wars cartoon, not even an exhaustive list

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_droid
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aqua_droid
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/B2_super_battle_droid
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BX-series_droid_commando
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Demolition_droid
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DSD1_dwarf_spider_droid
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Droideka
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/IG-100_MagnaGuard
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Octuptarra_combat_tri-droid

from there you can add Geonosians, Night Sisters, Mandalorians you can add Maul, Grievous, Dooku, Asajj Ventress, etc etc

I'd be far more worried about running out of canon GCW Empire stuff way way way before running out of droid stuff

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I want to make sure that my Tatooine 3rd Stormtrooper Division model looks noticeably different from my Jedha 257th, because I'm playing a 5BBY-era army. Sure, Tarkin reformed the leftover divisions to what would later be the Jakku 5th Corps in 3ABY, but I want mine to be historically correct and the Tatooine veterans were known for their epaulettes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is this the correct green for Dantooine Fall 0BBY swamp troopers?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Jesus, you mention the prequels in a negative light and someone acts like you beat puppies for a living.

btw the prequels are bad

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Raged posted:

Jesus, you mention the prequels in a negative light and someone acts like you beat puppies for a living.

btw the prequels are bad

star wars is good actually and all star wars should be in games that is apparently controversial

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Raged posted:

btw the prequels are bad

And?

Like seriously, what's your point? The prequels happened, and they were bad. I don't disagree with this. But we're talking tabletop wargames, not movies, and as such there's no reason not to dig into that particular well as opposed to continuing to mine the literal poo poo out of the corpse of the old EU, much of which is of equal or even lesser quality to the prequels.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chill la Chill posted:

Is this the correct green for Dantooine Fall 0BBY swamp troopers?

Why is everyone obsessed with AT-ATs? They were mechanically unreliable, only came around late-war, and never fielded in large numbers. Their impact has been greatly exaggerated in lore and fiction.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I dunno. That one that Wedge killed made a pretty big impact.

VikingPenguin
Nov 6, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Why is everyone obsessed with AT-ATs? They were mechanically unreliable, only came around late-war, and never fielded in large numbers. Their impact has been greatly exaggerated in lore and fiction.

I think the 1998 Malibu Barbie has the perfect color hair to cut up for flocking Wicket's face, but the original 1988 Teresa is clearly correct for his arms and legs. Have any of you figured out a body materiel yet?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Arquinsiel posted:

I dunno. That one that Wedge killed made a pretty big impact.

heh.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah but Rebels is heading into the final season, that well is about to run dry.

What they really need to do is add a scum faction to Armada using repurposed CIS and Republic Navy ships like I explained above, but they won't.

Laffo if you think Rebels ending means anything. Like Disney won't pump out children's cartoons of the Star Wars until the heat death of the universe just like mediocre spinoff films and new trilogies. Forever.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 25, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

banned from Starbucks posted:

Theres not enough poo poo in the prequels to support entire factions. Theres like what...2 types of battle droid and like 2 vehicles in AotC that may or may not even fit the scale.

Uh

NTRabbit posted:

Trade Federation is part of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, and they have B1 battle droids (movies), B2 super battle droids (movies), BX commando droids (TV), Droideka destroyers (movies), Droideka sharpshooters (TV), Magnaguard (movies), dwarf spider droids (movies), tactical droids (TV), and super tactical droids (TV) for infantry; Armored assault tanks (movies), Hailfire tanks (movies), Proton cannons (TV), Crab droids (movies), Troop transports (movies), Spider Droids (movies), Octuptarra droids (movies) for vehicles; and Vulture (movies), Tri (movies), Rogue (movies), Hyena (TV), HMP Droid Gunship (TV) and Belbullab-22 (movies) starfighters/bombers.

Clone infantry would be largely uniform and split by support weapon access like missile launchers and rotary guns (movies), and with veterancy, but also with ARC troopers (TV), and Clone Commando (TV) squads; for vehicles they have speeders and swoop bikes, AT-TE (movies), AT-OT (movies), AT-RT (movies), AT-AP (movies), Juggernaut (movies), Stun cannon (TV), AV-7 artillery (TV), Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery Turbolaser (movies); and Y Wing (movies), V Wing (movies), Torrent (TV), ARC-170 (movies), Z-95 (TV), Aethersprite (movies), Actis (movies), and Republic gunships (movies) for flyers.

These are things that all appeared in the prequel trilogy and/or the clone wars show

There's plenty of stuff, could even almost do it without stuff from the TV show everyone keeps forgetting

Devlan Mud posted:

Laffo if you think Rebels ending means anything. Like Disney won't pump out children's cartoons of the Star Wars until the heat death of the universe just like mediocre spinoff films and new trilogies. Forever.

There is a new show in the works, but we don't know anything about it, and it may be set in a time period where they can't add a whole lot of new ships. I mean even Rebels only added the Mining Guild TIE, Inquisitor's TIE, Ghost, Shadowcaster, the Protectorate fighter, IGV-55 SIGINT Gozanti, and the Hammerhead (and made versions of the TIE Defender, Quasar-fire, and Interdictor cannon) in space, and just the AT-DP walker and Imperial Troop Transport on the ground.

e: v yeah I guess that's true enough as well

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Aug 25, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Hammerhead debuted in Knights of the Old Republic, so that also qualifies as a "made canon" and not a new introduction in Rebels.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Strobe posted:

The Hammerhead debuted in Knights of the Old Republic, so that also qualifies as a "made canon" and not a new introduction in Rebels.

In all fairness, the Hammerhead was 'reintroduced' into Rebels and then Rogue One, since Pablo Hildago mentioned that the corvette "was a nod to Knights of the Old Republic."

*E* I'm not really looking to split hairs though, and I'll just say I am glad to see it 'cause it's a cool ship.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Same goes for Tiger tank in real life and you still can't escape KRUPP STEEL arguments.
I wonder how much of Empire military budget went into dead end projects.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

fatherboxx posted:

Same goes for Tiger tank in real life and you still can't escape KRUPP STEEL arguments.
:thejoke:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

canyoneer posted:

Is the Trade Federation their own faction? They have like, 6 onscreen units, no hero/commanders, and not a lot of EU stuff beyond it.

Um I think you'll find there were heroes on both sides [CITATION NEEDED]

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
In many ways, the best setting would be post Endor - where Rebel troops are fighting to reform the Republic. No Vader, but more freedom with larger formations, and the Rebels are transitioning to a proper army.

I kinda hope the Rebel's replacement covers this period, with the Rebels on the rise and the Empire falling.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

fatherboxx posted:

Like things called 'Death Star'?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

canyoneer posted:

*ATAT gets stuck in mud and bursts into flames*
Picture of some rebels laughing and holding up signs for SUPERIOR EMPIRE ARMOR next to a hole made by an RPS-6.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

NTRabbit posted:

There is a new show in the works, but we don't know anything about it, and it may be set in a time period where they can't add a whole lot of new ships. I mean even Rebels only added the Mining Guild TIE, Inquisitor's TIE, Ghost, Shadowcaster, the Protectorate fighter, IGV-55 SIGINT Gozanti, and the Hammerhead (and made versions of the TIE Defender, Quasar-fire, and Interdictor cannon) in space, and just the AT-DP walker and Imperial Troop Transport on the ground.
The Troop Transport is based on an old toy too. It was in comics and stuff over the years apparently, but I never noticed it until I spotted it in the local comic shop recently.

fatherboxx posted:

This is very much worth a read.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Um I think you'll find there were heroes very fine people on both sides [CITATION NEEDED]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Also yes, the Trade Federation aka CIS had heroes and leaders - General Grievous, Admiral Trench, Nute Gunray, Wat Tambor, Poggle the Lesser, Super Tactical Droid Kalani, Super Tactical Droid Kraken, TV-94, TX-20, OOM-9, B1-268. Plus, Dooku and Ventress if you want force users.