Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

I may play on a garbage console but I do not entertain F2P rubbish. Haha just kidding I'll have to check it out because God knows I don't have anything else to play on this dreadful machine.
PoE owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh hey, Microsoft is apparently doing something about people's rep getting tanked unfairly, finally.

quote:

"Based on feedback from a number of people across a few competitive games, such as Overwatch, we're going to change how reports of players impact the ability for people to play multiplayer in games,” explains Xbox vice president Mike Ybarra in a Battle.net forum post. “In short, we'll change it so that it will have no impact on a player's ability to join and play multiplayer.” Ybarra also notes that communication bans will still be in place, but it appears Microsoft will stop people from abusing the reputation system and forcing accounts to receive temporary suspensions.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I were in charge of Xbox, I'd add a $5 fee to reset the account's reputation to neutral instead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does F2P work like PSN where you don't need a sub to play online? Or do you need gold to play it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Does F2P work like PSN where you don't need a sub to play online? Or do you need gold to play it?

It looks like you don't need Gold if you're playing alone, but definitely do for grouping with others. XBL doesn't have exceptions for playing with others online like PSN does.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I hope Digital Foundry does comparisons with Monster Hunter Worlds. If it takes advantage of 4k and runs noticeably better than the PS4 I will seriously entertain the thought of picking up an XboneX. ( I also currently have nothing to take advantage of my 4k tv. )

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Assuming I used to love Diablo 1 and 2, and thought 3 was a pile of poo poo, both visually and gameplay-wise, Path of Exile looks worth trying? I mean it's free, so it doesn't matter, but I'm guessing people like me is what they were gunning for from what little I've watched of it?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Assuming I used to love Diablo 1 and 2, and thought 3 was a pile of poo poo, both visually and gameplay-wise, Path of Exile looks worth trying? I mean it's free, so it doesn't matter, but I'm guessing people like me is what they were gunning for from what little I've watched of it?

PoE is closer to Diablo 2 yes so you may like it. It's free so you don't lose a thing for trying.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

PoE is leagues better than D3 as far as depth/complexity goes. It's far more closer to D2 than D3 is. That being said, I still think I prefer Diablo 2. PoE is extremely generous with it's content, you get a lot of gameplay for free. Worst case scenario, if you really get into the game you might need to drop 10bux on some stash tabs. It's definitely worth trying out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is anyone playing Conan Exiles? I tried the demo and actually kind of enjoyed it. Its a shame the combat seems terrible though. I might have pulled the trigger right there is it didn't feel so clunky. Anyone have any opinions on if it's actually worth playing at all?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Is anyone playing Conan Exiles? I tried the demo and actually kind of enjoyed it. Its a shame the combat seems terrible though. I might have pulled the trigger right there is it didn't feel so clunky. Anyone have any opinions on if it's actually worth playing at all?

How much mileage will you personally get from penis physics?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No wangs on the bone dawg.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Gimped port

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

veni veni veni posted:

You will if you're in Europe!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I played and enjoyed the hour and nearly bought in but there were enough crashes in my demo time that I waited. Word on the street is that it's still incredibly crash-prone and has a lot of stability and lag problems, with servers disappearing, infinite login loops etc. So I'm going to wait longer to see if they can get it to the point that I'm not paying $35 for a pre-alpha early access experience.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

doingitwrong posted:

I played and enjoyed the hour and nearly bought in but there were enough crashes in my demo time that I waited. Word on the street is that it's still incredibly crash-prone and has a lot of stability and lag problems, with servers disappearing, infinite login loops etc. So I'm going to wait longer to see if they can get it to the point that I'm not paying $35 for a pre-alpha early access experience.

I bought the game when it was released and never got passed one of the late game bosses as the game crashed 100% of the time when you beat him. Cool game though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

About 10 minutes before my trial was up, it crashed, and when I reloaded my character was just a floating head. The game proceeded to crash every time I tried to load it until the time was up. Yeah, I think I'll wait and see how its doing in February after it's final release lol.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I tried Path of Exile and boy is this game not for me. 5 hours of playing last night, and I never encountered a fight that was any harder than playing cookie clicker. Wondering if I was missing something, I looked around online and even the positive reviews agree. The combat in the early game is dead easy but the game gets good at level 60 apparently. Which is probably 15-30 more hours away in my case.

And then I learn that there's not really much respec. So to play around with the gloriously intricate passive skill tree and try a new path, you have to start a new character. Which is another xx hours of power levelling to get to 60.

This seems bananas. Why lock the fun behind so much tedium?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played it for a bit and I'll probably give it some more time down the road. It seems allright for what it is but I was getting bored too. I think sometimes I just remember Diablo style games fondly because I liked them so much when I was a kid, and the narrative I've created in my head about D1 and 2 being good are 3 being bad are bullshit, and it's actually been completely mind numbing all along.

Like, I need some sort of skill based hook to stay interested these days I guess. Nothing feels earned in those games. It's just rewards for how much time you waste playing it. Which I guess you could say about most games, but not to the degree of just being cookie clicker like you mentioned.

POE might have depth I didn't run into yet so I could be wrong.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The point of any ARPG is to have some kind of goal in mind for your character, play it a whole bunch until you get within the last .1% of that goal, and then find something else to do until the next patch or ladder season. Some people seem to have trouble understanding this concept but the act of continually making numbers go up itself the reward, and it helps when it's attached to some visceral feedback loop like killing monsters in showers of blood. They're not intended to be difficult games, victory isn't supposed to be some hard-fought battle, but instead you're expected to combine your knowledge of the game's inner workings from hours of play with the appropriate gear to completely break the game in satisfying ways.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think I get that the real fun of the game is breaking it. Which is why the no respec decision is so baffling to me. If the massive skill tree is the fun of the game, let me PLAY with that. Let me make janky builds and discover they suck and tweak and play with things until I make something that rules. Instead, trying a new concept is locked behind however many hours of leveling a new character. The result is that all the guides you find online suggest you should just follow known good builds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I say this charitably but PoE is for the kind of ARPG fan who likes theorycrafting well in advance with spreadsheets and optimized skill + itemization paths, knowledge that can be acquired by having some familiarity with the game but for most simply following a guide. It works off the assumption that you won't get everything perfect your first time through and will be rerolling at the start of each new league to try out a new build. There are ways of respeccing but those also come from drops in the game world. Diablo 3 is on the opposite end of the ARPG spectrum, it's almost impossible to permanently gently caress up your character and you can get powerleveled into a starter endgame set within 30 minutes.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

This is exactly how I feel about Friday the 13th. Hopefully they have it working well by the time the physical release comes out in October.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If you think PoE is too easy then you didn't play it for very long. It actually gets so difficult that I ultimately found it not very fun. By act 3, things start ramping up. At one point in time, the game was so difficult that if you didn't have the right max resistances for certain bosses they would crush you. They definitely lowered the difficulty of the first two acts. As mentioned there are respec item drops and the story quests give a bunch of respec points as well.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 27, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

doingitwrong posted:

The result is that all the guides you find online suggest you should just follow known good builds.

The Cult of Optimality commands it regardless!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

doingitwrong posted:

This seems bananas. Why lock the fun behind so much tedium?
sounds like diablo 3 is the monster clicker for you

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

katkillad2 posted:

At one point in time, the game was so difficult that if you didn't have the right max resistances for certain bosses they would crush you.
once you get into endgame you want your resists maxed no question. up until then its kind of whatever unless you are playing hardcore (dont play hardcore in this game unless you hate yourself)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Awesome! posted:

once you get into endgame you want your resists maxed no question. up until then its kind of whatever unless you are playing hardcore (dont play hardcore in this game unless you hate yourself)

I'd add that don't play hardcore in any ARPG. It sucks to lose a fully equipped character just because you get a lagspike or some stupid reason.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I'd add that don't play hardcore in any ARPG. It sucks to lose a fully equipped character just because you get a lagspike or some stupid reason.

Diablo2 lightning beetles ftw

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

If you think PoE is too easy then you didn't play it for very long.

You're right in the sense that I didn't make it past Act 2. You're wrong in the sense that I played the game for 6 hours and never got to anything hard or fun. I like my games to start being interesting sooner than that.

Awesome! posted:

sounds like diablo 3 is the monster clicker for you

Went back and started up a new Diablo 3 run and: you were right!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Xbox one died last night ugh. Got hit by a lightning surge I think

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

EA Access seems like a tremendous value. I'm going to assume the games do not come with any post-release content - i.e. Bespin for SW Battlefront. Is that correct?

Either way I think it's worth 30 bux for a year

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

EA Access seems like a tremendous value. I'm going to assume the games do not come with any post-release content - i.e. Bespin for SW Battlefront. Is that correct?

While you usually just get the Vanilla version (and sometimes not even that, like BF1 doesn't let you play past the first section of the SP campaign and DA:I at least at launch didn't have access to side quests) I think Battlefront does give you the Ultimate Edition.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Syrinxx posted:

Some of the games do actually. Battlefield 4/Hardline definitely have the premium passes available, not sure about star wars though.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Titanfall 2 has everything I think. I've been playing it the last couple of days since Harvey has me stuck inside.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Daric posted:

Titanfall 2 has everything I think. I've been playing it the last couple of days since Harvey has me stuck inside.

All of Titanfall 2's DLC is free so that'd be why.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Diablo 3 is good, but at this point I've played enough and the game has been streamlined enough that the game feels like it's 75% slot machine.

Path of Exile feels fresh, though I was playing Diablo 3 back on ps3 so I think some of my opinion is just plain being burned out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

Xbox one died last night ugh. Got hit by a lightning surge I think

The external power source can be replaced. That's what happened on mine.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried but nothing :( I think cuz it's a one s and it doesn't have a brick I have to send it in :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Are you close to a Microsoft store?