Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
two suzukigun teams
ospreay and rocky probably
scurll and new partner probably
bushi and hiromu
maybe the tempura boyz
jado and gedo
taguchi japan people

Baron Corbyn posted:

The only person I see hanging out with Taichi regularly on social media is Kanemaru. Which probably explains the bottle of whisky he's constantly taking swigs of to maintain his sanity.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/901157376320876544

Who's even going to be in this tournament?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TM4 and Liger again?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Young Lion Junior team would be nice too

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

TM4 and Liger again?

Team Tiny Masked Dads.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I couldn't believe it when Conor used the Rainmaker tonight. Crazy stuff. Wow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VJeff posted:

I couldn't believe it when Conor used the Rainmaker tonight. Crazy stuff. Wow.

Didn't clutch the wrist though, which was his downfall.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

how do i watch ajpw

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Real Hero drive uploads the shows.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

non-njpw puro gets streamed live on psp-tv as well

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

Real Hero drive uploads the shows.

thats still around!?!?!?!?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I finally finished the G1 last night so now I can look at this thread again.

It's honestly insane that I paid 9.99 to watch all that good wrestling. I don't know how the rest of you kept up with it, 3+ hours for days in a row is insane. But all of it was good, a lot of it was great, and I'm very happy with the winner :grin:

I have a bunch of NJPW questions but I can't remember them right now. Should I ask ITT or in the wrestling questions thread? I don't know how many Japanese wrestling fans keep up with the questions thread.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

dromal phrenia posted:

It's honestly insane that I paid 9.99 to watch all that good wrestling. I don't know how the rest of you kept up with it, 3+ hours for days in a row is insane. But all of it was good, a lot of it was great, and I'm very happy with the winner :grin:

I have a bunch of NJPW questions but I can't remember them right now. Should I ask ITT or in the wrestling questions thread? I don't know how many Japanese wrestling fans keep up with the questions thread.

People will answer in the questions thread, I’m pretty sure. Lots of puro questions have come up, they generally get a pretty prompt response.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

free jiwan

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dromal phrenia posted:

Do yourself a favor and watch all the old Inoki matches. It gives you a feel for the roots of Japanese Strong Style and also the genesis of MMA.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TAKA/Taichi card that will be broadcast at 6 EDT

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have decided that hiroshi hase was the best wrestler in the 1990s for njpw.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Have New Japan ever had women's matches, even as one off attractions? I know the gender divide is even more pronounced in Japan than in western wrestling, but curious as to if it's ever even been tried.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Have New Japan ever had women's matches, even as one off attractions? I know the gender divide is even more pronounced in Japan than in western wrestling, but curious as to if it's ever even been tried.

The Dark ages of Inoki-ism had Chyna vs Chono which is as awful as it sounds

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love Sports Illustrated doing interviews with Naito and poo poo. :3:

quote:

SI.com: Kazuchika Okada is known as one of, if not the, greatest wrestler in the world. Does it bother you that people believe Okada is better than you?

Naito: I think there are a lot of fans that love Okada and don’t want to respect me. I understand that. But what I want to say to those people is, “Are your eyes really open? Are you really watching?” They should do what I do, pry their eyes open and watch. Then they’d understand.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/08/28/tetsuya-naito-kenny-omega-bullet-club

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
Love Naito's constant poo poo-talking of everyone.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Somebody needs to poo poo talk this Naito Pitch though

https://twitter.com/hiroko_cocoa/status/901732150696804353

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

They ran one on their shows in North Korea but other than that it doesn't make sense. Historically you had very popular women's promotions it made no sense on any level to run both.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

I think Chyna and Maria K. have been the only women to ever compete in NJPW. The women valets are a new thing too.

AJPW has been doing women's matches as part their Indie Sleaze Expansion Effort.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

algebra testes posted:

I love Sports Illustrated doing interviews with Naito and poo poo. :3:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/08/28/tetsuya-naito-kenny-omega-bullet-club

Looks like he'll get a 6+ month reign this time, so let's see if he can put his money where his mouth is and come close to the run Okada had this year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

They ran one on their shows in North Korea but other than that it doesn't make sense. Historically you had very popular women's promotions it made no sense on any level to run both.

Yeah but in North Korea that was in association with one of the women's groups at the time if memory serves (much like the Americans came over as part of WCW). So no real tradition at all and only even recently have their been women as valets as well.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing a lot of the questions about a Women's division are coming from new US fans who think everybody does business like WWE and probably wonders why New Japan doesn't just run a Women's division and poach all the talent and business doesn't work that way in Japan

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

coconono posted:

I think Chyna and Maria K. have been the only women to ever compete in NJPW. The women valets are a new thing too.

AJPW has been doing women's matches as part their Indie Sleaze Expansion Effort.

those are offer matches so it's kind of a different thing

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Spermgod posted:

those are offer matches so it's kind of a different thing

Semantics imo. They're still getting checks off of AJPW's totally not zaibatsu payroll.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sigmachiev posted:

Looks like he'll get a 6+ month reign this time

I would love this

At the very least I hope he holds it till around G1 time

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

coconono posted:

Semantics imo. They're still getting checks off of AJPW's totally not zaibatsu payroll.

they're funded by a car dealership run by a money mark

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
Naito's doing great stuff at the moment and LIJ in general are one of the best parts of NJPW. I think going from Okada's fighting champ/new-ace-establishing-himself title run to Naito as a disrespectful champion would be good for the heavyweight title scene as a change of pace.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

harperdc posted:

Yeah but in North Korea that was in association with one of the women's groups at the time if memory serves (much like the Americans came over as part of WCW). So no real tradition at all and only even recently have their been women as valets as well.

Only Ric Flair came over in conjunction with WCW in terms of wrestlers, the other Americans were through NJPW. It was Inoki's show but even still it's a one time only thing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spermgod posted:

they're funded by a car dealership run by a money mark

Oh my god you're right. (Plus probably some money from their video/TV deals, but still). If it didn't have the AJPW name attached you'd think it was an indie.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I really liked the Taichi show main which didn't really feel at all like a modern NJ main at all. Do any of the NJ guys work outside any more besides the recent AJ show?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Willninho posted:

I really liked the Taichi show main which didn't really feel at all like a modern NJ main at all. Do any of the NJ guys work outside any more besides the recent AJ show?

Mostly for their partners CMLL an ROH. Right now Kojima Juice, and Elgin are in Mexico for the Grand Prix and Kojima's sticking around a few weeks later for their big yearly show. Freelancer Suzuki works indies on occasion.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Okada, Ibushi and Gedo are working Taka's next show on September 4th (along with Io Shirai and HZK, so it'll be interesting to see if that ends up on NJPW World).

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

It's really fun to hate Taichi. NJPW has a lot of 'cool heels' that its hard to hate even if its fun to boo their cheating. Even though Suzuki-gun is the most heel faction of all, people have a ton of respect for MiSu and he's quite the badass, and Zack Sabre Jr. is always going to get polite clapping for his submission transitions... but Taichi is just a complete rear end in a top hat and I hate him and want to see his face get punched.

Steals masks, wears other people's entrance coats, rips off his pants, hits people with a stupid rear end microphone stand, sings a crappy entrance song, and that's all in addition to having the most punchable face. Bad Luck Fale brutally assaulting Daryl might be the most dastardly heel move in recent memory, but I still hate Taichi more.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007

Thauros posted:

Mostly for their partners CMLL an ROH. Right now Kojima Juice, and Elgin are in Mexico for the Grand Prix and Kojima's sticking around a few weeks later for their big yearly show. Freelancer Suzuki works indies on occasion.

Yea was talking more Japan stuff; if there was anything like that Tanahashi in DDT match from a couple years ago I was missing for not paying attention to Japanese indies.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

It's really fun to hate Taichi. NJPW has a lot of 'cool heels' that its hard to hate even if its fun to boo their cheating. Even though Suzuki-gun is the most heel faction of all, people have a ton of respect for MiSu and he's quite the badass, and Zack Sabre Jr. is always going to get polite clapping for his submission transitions... but Taichi is just a complete rear end in a top hat and I hate him and want to see his face get punched.

Steals masks, wears other people's entrance coats, rips off his pants, hits people with a stupid rear end microphone stand, sings a crappy entrance song, and that's all in addition to having the most punchable face. Bad Luck Fale brutally assaulting Daryl might be the most dastardly heel move in recent memory, but I still hate Taichi more.

He really is intensely hateable. Do any other wrestlers get a similar response to the "Taichi go home" chant? I imagine there are very few who do since Japanese audiences are so respectful.

Did the Bullet Club get any heat like that when they first started? I haven't gone back to watch Devitt!Bullet Club yet but I was listening to an interview with him where he was saying that NJPW had to set up a hotline for people complaining about their antics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dromal phrenia posted:

Taichi also has Miho Abe(did I get the name right?) hanging off of him which makes me want to punch him even more. He should be hanging off of her.

• Locked thread