Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Golli posted:

Upon further reflection, I think this is supposed to be the end-game raid. SC's Onyxia.

This is your first day as a max-level Star Citizen.

The level one quests have you reporting to Star Citizen HR, getting issued coveralls and a mop for cafeteria duty.

Starter players have to actually man the shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

History Comes Inside! posted:

Lol he made a joke about the fact your avatar keeps getting changed and you took it as a threat and spent :10bux:

No. He actually changed it. You didn't see it because I changed it back right away, and changed his. Do try to keep up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

Thanks for that. I could see something was a little off but couldn't quite put my finger on it because there are a few occasions when one or two wheels left the ground completely.

I happened across the july studio report. Is has some obvious early 2017 gamescom demo images. So I would guess that they started pulling resources into that yearly project by at least late June. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16043-Monthly-Studio-Report-July-2017

Almost same mission description:

Black box:

"A ship by the name of 'Shipname' has gone missing"

:lol:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Glad to see reddit is picking up speed in the white knighting and shilling again. I was worried there for a while, but I guess they just needed a couple of days to get over the massive cognitive dissonance.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well, not everyone can enjoy the million high club.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

The Titanic posted:

They're going to mocap the sex scene. As directed by Chris Roberts.

Hint: there maebe tickling

:five:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

you could have posted a doggo or something

here:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Citcon 2018: Pets!

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

The Titanic posted:

I think being on Spectrum would involve me buying the game. Probably not likely to happen. Though I did go into their discord with the intent of stirring conversation, but I felt so bad for those guys I just couldn't stir their pot. There are people out there who aren't blatant dicks who are just hoping for Star Citizen to be real. I felt more sad for them and lost my urge to throw logical debate at them. I'd rather they enjoyed the game as much as they could before the inevitable letdown. :(

Spectrum might be more fun because they have the hardcore sect, but I'd just end up banned.

You can browse (and I think post?) without buying the game (I did that when I was stuck in bed for a few weeks with only an ipad to entertain me), but I get why plenty of people don't. I even post criticism there on occasion, and often quite a few people in there agree with me, to my surprise. Bizarrely, I actually find that Spectrum actually has negative posts more often than the Reddit forum, but I'm guessing that the inability for people to downvote criticism threads into oblivion helps with that. That said, if a thread on Spectrum is too critical of CIG/CR it will mysteriously disappear.

quote:

Also they shouldn't mess with Skyrim. I genuinely enjoyed it and thought it was super fun, albeit janky, but it worked mostly.

The thing is, I wouldn't even care if the Gamescom demo was janky and rough around the edges, god knows Eve and WoW were plenty of times and I still had fun with it. Janky/unpolished games can get away with a lot if the underlying gameplay is fun, but SC doesn't seem to have that either. It's just a pretty, buggy game with very little depth to it in its current release and inane/bizarrely tedious gameplay planned for the future. If it felt like SC was actually progressing to be a buggy, but fun, game then I wouldn't be nearly as critical of it as I am, but everything in SC's development, from fun to multiplayer to stability, seems to be getting thrown under the bus of 'fidelity'.

Also, Re: 'collect the blackbox' missions: The thing that immediately struck me about this mission when I first saw it is that if it's indeed planned to be an adversarial mission, then it's going to be a literal zero-sum game for the players involved. Regardless of who completes the mission, half the players involved in the mission are going to 'lose' and I can imagine that will piss off a lot of PvE players.

Nanako the Narc fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 27, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

D_Smart posted:

gently caress it, I had n-1 computations, and just decided to loving stop typing because it's pointless to even bother illustrating all the ways it will break and simply won't work

n+ 1 = Other players loving with your mission.

Going to land me a ship on their Rover, or get inbetween their guass missile shot to trigger the AI security to gently caress them up.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

happyhippy posted:

Going to land me a ship on their Rover, or get inbetween their guass missile shot to trigger the AI security to gently caress them up.

This is why shitizens should pray this game never comes out. A small gank-squad of goons would just camp the black box pickup location and destroy everything that moves, forcing them to re-start the 30-minute wake up, walk, wait in line, talk to mission-giver, walk, buy mission stuff, drive, board, fly, etc etc etc etc sequence all over again. Some white knight whale would show up to "save the day" in his $2000 pay-to-win spaceshep and clear the way for all the lowly, plebeian, poop-deck-swabbing mission-goers feeling grief from those drat dirty goons, and we would use one of an innumerable number of exploits to insta-gib his precious.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

his nibs posted:

you could have posted a doggo or something

here:

Pardon my breach of thread etiquette

This is gonna be derek's new avatar in a little bit.....

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Bubbacub posted:

I don't understand why Chris is so proud of Miles Eckhart. The dialogue sounds like it was archered from the original Deus Ex.

If they show the same poo poo twice I figure he's the only mission NPC they have in a useable state.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Latin Pheonix posted:

You can browse (and I think post?) without buying the game (I did that when I was stuck in bed for a few weeks with only an ipad to entertain me), but I get why plenty of people don't. I even post criticism there on occasion, and often quite a few people in there agree with me, to my surprise. Bizarrely, I actually find that Spectrum actually has negative posts more often than the Reddit forum, but I'm guessing that the inability for people to downvote criticism threads into oblivion helps with that. That said, if a thread on Spectrum is too critical of CIG/CR it will mysteriously disappear.

The thing is, I wouldn't even care if the Gamescom demo was janky and rough around the edges, god knows Eve and WoW were plenty of times and I still had fun with it. Janky/unpolished games can get away with a lot if the underlying gameplay is fun, but SC doesn't seem to have that either. It's just a pretty, buggy game with very little depth to it in its current release and inane/bizarrely tedious gameplay planned for the future. If it felt like SC was actually progressing to be a buggy, but fun, game then I wouldn't be nearly as critical of it as I am, but everything in SC's development, from fun to multiplayer to stability, seems to be getting thrown under the bus of 'fidelity'.

Also, Re: 'collect the blackbox' missions: The thing that immediately struck me about this mission when I first saw it is that if it's indeed planned to be an adversarial mission, then it's going to be a literal zero-sum game for the players involved. Regardless of who completes the mission, half the players involved in the mission are going to 'lose' and I can imagine that will piss off a lot of PvE players.

I just looked at Spectrum and was pleasantly surprised that you can search for all the good threads with the tag "Concern". Someone must have made this for CIG because it works and hasn't hard locked by PC yet.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Latin Pheonix posted:

Come on - you're overthinking this way way more than Croberts has. Literally the only way that mission could have been more dumb would have been if Miles had - as some Goons had joked in advance - sent you off to collect 10 Wild Boar Skins

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

hey hi hello, I'm an aspiring vaporware space sim enthusiast from the gbs doobie thread and i've not been following this shitshow at all. can someone give a quick rundown what these clowns have been doing with >0.1 billion dollars for half a decade? how has there been so little progress? if you code that long, with so much funding, you gotta produce at least something, even if by accident, right?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

Come on - you're overthinking this way way more than Croberts has. Literally the only way that mission could have been more dumb would have been if Miles had - as some Goons had joked in advance - sent you off to collect 10 Wild Boar Skins

If they had you collecting bear asses at least you could believe it's representative of something scalable that they might be able to deliver. They've got to fill 100 systems with this poo poo.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

hey hi hello, I'm an aspiring vaporware space sim enthusiast from the gbs doobie thread and i've not been following this shitshow at all. can someone give a quick rundown what these clowns have been doing with >0.1 billion dollars for half a decade? how has there been so little progress? if you code that long, with so much funding, you gotta produce at least something, even if by accident, right?

Nah, real development only started about two weeks ago

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

smellmycheese posted:

10 Conveniently Cube Shaped Wild Boar Skins, Compatible With The 6,000 Man Hours We Invested In Allowing A Male Avatar Of A Specific Height To Interact With And Carry And Load Into Specific Shelving

Definitely can see this as a radiant quest.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

I dunno, I was just thinking how much people in the CIG forums/spectrum complained about not wanting to be ganked or killed by pirates and how terrified they were about PvP. These missions sound like they're designed (whether purposefully or by happenstance) to upset them :shrug:.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Daztek posted:

Nah, real development only started about two weeks ago

OK, wow, that's a lot of progress for two weeks, I'm getting my cc

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

:3:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy poo poo, I watching the Goon commentary of the presentation and I got to the point where they not had one crash, but two crashes. :tviv:

Derek Smart was right.

Edit: OMG! I GOT TO THE PART WHERE THEY HAD TO RERUN THROUGH THE GAME AGAIN.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 27, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The piano on discord was a nice touch.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Latin Pheonix posted:

I dunno, I was just thinking how much people in the CIG forums/spectrum complained about not wanting to be ganked or killed by pirates and how terrified they were about PvP. These missions sound like they're designed (whether purposefully or by happenstance) to upset them :shrug:.

Best part of the quest is that you can't even defend yourself as you carry the box out. Dumbest poo poo ever.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I like that after years they have Miles "Tails" Ehhart as the one intractable npc and he's not even in the game yet. And they keep messing with him and developing fancy fluid simulations for his drink and giving him more and more coats.

Yet this game is somehow going to have thousands of npcs with similar detail within the next few years?? :lol:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Lt_Tofu posted:

Best part of the quest is that you can't even defend yourself as you carry the box out. Dumbest poo poo ever.

Dude you can't defend yourself from the wankpod to the armory.

Do ship bullets have a finite range? Going to hang just outside station influence and aim and shoot at the landing bays 24/7.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

The fans cheered when chris refused to give any dates.

Consider what a release date actually represents to a diehard Citizen.

All they do is support the game. They live and breathe supporting the game. The actual reality of the game is meaningless to that support. So a release date isn't actually meaningful to them - they have faith, instead. They're quite prepared mentally for that faith to be eternal, even if they don't admit that to themselves.

So yes, they cheer the refusal to give dates - because that removes one piece of ammunition their foes have consistently been able to use against them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Young Freud posted:

Holy poo poo, I watching the Goon commentary of the presentation and I got to the point where they not had one crash, but two crashes. :tviv:

Derek Smart was right.

Edit: OMG! I GOT TO THE PART WHERE THEY HAD TO RERUN THROUGH THE GAME AGAIN.

You're still not at the funniest bit yet

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

happyhippy posted:

Yup, pretty much. I had all of those running through my brain. As I mention on Discord during the stream, I've written game scripts for over 30 years, and I know precisely how they break, what can/cannot break them etc.

Heck, right now, if you have Universal Combat CE 3.0 on Steam, you can download the free scripting tools (which includes sources for ALL the game scripts) I released a few months back, and script everything you saw in the Star Citizen GC2017 presentation. Without the fps inside station "fidelity" bullshit of course.

Here's what you can script with UCCE 3.0. I was actually going to do this, then play it on a live stream. But I decided that it may be regarded as poor taste, me promoting my games etc.

[scenario]

01) Start game with 3 NPC companions (marines, commanders, crew etc) at a planetary base on Earth

02) Rendezvous with a scripted NPC mission giver (e.g. Karl Reines) at the base

03) Being within range of NPC, triggers the dialogue and gives the mission, description etc

04) Go outside to a supply platform and get a rocket launcher

05) Still outside, get a ground vehicle, either a scripted one specific to the mission, or any of those already at the base. Your NPC companions who follow you everywhere WILL enter the vehicle with you - no prompting (though they do receive AI orders from player) required

06) Drive to location of mission and retrieve a scripted cargo box

07) When you reach a certain location, hostile aircraft (gunships or fighters) will engage the vehicle

08) Exit vehicle (as will your NPC companions)

09) Collect box using vehicle. Yes, that's actually a thing and there is UI for it. Box is transferred to to cargo of vehicle

10) A scripted capital ship (carrier, cruiser, or transport) is triggered to appear and land (yes, it's an actual script command)

11) Drive to the capital ship while evading airborne hostile AI ships. As the driver in a single player game, you will have to stop, exit vehicle, engage with rocket launcher if you want to avoid getting killed en-route. NPC team will also do the same!

12) Reach capital ship, enter (this will also give you command if you want) - as will NPC team.

13) Fly capital ship, fly to altitude, reach Escape Velocity, enter space. Plot jump course to delivery location at a planetary base on Mars

14) Emerging from hyperspace jump within Mars orbit, activates scripted hostile ships

15) Defeat hostile cap ships

16) Either A) fly cap ship to the Mars base, land and delivery cargo or B) use the cap ship's transporter to beam you, your team, and cargo to the location below

When the script detects the cargo pod within proximity of the destination location - scenario ends. You WIN.

Without having to download the full GBS package above, here are the docs and command reference to give an idea of how ALL of the above can be scripted. Here is what a sample complex mission looks like. This guy even did a TC using the scripting tools.

And - right now - there are various scripts in both UCCE 2.0 and 3.0, as well as AAW, which use and show ALL of the above.

Also, you can do pretty much everything you see in the demo in LoD; complete with fps inside a station (space or planet), vehicles on a planet etc. Except that LoD is pure PvP and has no scripting components, due to it using a completely different (a far less advanced) engine from my BC/UC games. Also, there is no cap ship combat like in BC/UC.

And if you want to see highly advanced NPC fps AI, then go play All Aspect Warfare, which is purely fps, vehicle, and aircraft action. And that engine was built off the core BC/UC engines.

And UCCE is from 2004. While UCCE 2.0 is from 2009. And hopefully UCCE 3.0 will be completed by end of 2018, as 95% of the work is in redoing over 1000+ assets used in the game.

And a six year project which has raised over $157M, worked on by over 500 people (past and present), can't complete a simple quest script, let alone build a custom engine that loving works. :argh:

There is nothing innovative or unique about Star Citizen. Those Shitizens are loving dreaming themselves into a nightmare where there's a hole in their wallets.

This Star Citizen bullshit, is why I decided to even do this UCCE 3.0, which is getting a major graphics overhaul, without changing anything else about the robust underlying engine tech.

ps: There are some videos on our YT channel

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 27, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

You're still not at the funniest bit yet

I'll admit, I was spoiled going through the thread and seeing the clip of the Rover falling through the ramp.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for 3.0 and the massive and breathtaking shitstorm CIG will have created for themselves

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

TheAgent posted:

I can't wait for 3.0 and the massive and breathtaking shitstorm CIG will have created for themselves

You might have to wait a little bit longer.... Say 2 weeks?

bacalhau
Apr 29, 2013
You are a clear example of not knowing what game development is. If you actually try to look into what they are trying to do, and already is, then maybe you would think differently.

In no way is this showing bad. It is actually refreshing to see presentations done live with early code. poo poo happens, and they go with it. There are thousands of things trying to interact here. Syncing all over the net code is very difficult.

When the game is closing in on the beta versions, you might begin to worry. Until that happens, just be happy that the game works at all. The miss use of early-access, alpha, beta the current games industry have been doing the last 5 years is clearly hurting publics interpretation of what alpha/beta is.

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
Shitizens on a years-long, disorganized but very consistent effort to unilaterally and retroactively redefine the decades old software term "alpha" is some orwellian poo poo

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Watching that shitshow I would be genuinely surprised if we ever see it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still think the rover getting phased through the ramp and losing its wheels while the transexual space pilot went "noooooooo" was the funniest part. Everyone else ignoring what happened just cemented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I still think the rover getting phased through the ramp and losing its wheels while the transexual space pilot went "noooooooo" was the funniest part. Everyone else ignoring what happened just cemented it.

"nnooOOOOoo...."

*wheel rolls forlornly downhill as twitch chat erupts*