Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Glukeose posted:

We opted to permanently ignore the mission. Much better now.

The rules suck and the rewards for killing them aren't even that great. Oh, cool? One item I can equip on one guy in my entire squad? Sign me up, I'll just hope that one guy doesn't get shot and fall over dead like the fifty other guys before him.

X-COM 2 kept crashing for me during the cinematic before the final mission so I never finished it. I don't feel an especially strong desire to go back and beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Nuebot posted:

The rules suck and the rewards for killing them aren't even that great. Oh, cool? One item I can equip on one guy in my entire squad? Sign me up, I'll just hope that one guy doesn't get shot and fall over dead like the fifty other guys before him.

X-COM 2 kept crashing for me during the cinematic before the final mission so I never finished it. I don't feel an especially strong desire to go back and beat it.

We managed to kill Viper King after four encounters with it and got snake armor that looks loving goofy as poo poo. It was not worth it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

It also kind of started that whole cliche where whenever you run into a character monologuing to you from behind unbreakable glass that they're totally about to get ganked as a Feels Moment.

i hate this so much in games.

Daedo posted:

I just finished the game today whilst playing through the Ezio Collection, and there's several missions that had full sync requirements that were a pain in the rear end. Somehow I got the achievement for doing this on the 360, but that was six years ago and now I don't have the time or the patience to try it here. Especially because failing full sync means restarting the whole memory, as reloading checkpoints wasn't introduced until a later game.

other than cheevos, is there a reward in the game for getting full sync? does it unlock an alt ending?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

It's so lame and it's so clearly bad design because either it's "about to be murdered" or more commonly "we didn't program a way to stop you killing NPCs"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've managed to softlock games a few times by saving killable NPCs, really they should just make it officially a cutscene and not even pretend you have control

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Daedo posted:

I just finished the game today whilst playing through the Ezio Collection, and there's several missions that had full sync requirements that were a pain in the rear end. Somehow I got the achievement for doing this on the 360, but that was six years ago and now I don't have the time or the patience to try it here. Especially because failing full sync means restarting the whole memory, as reloading checkpoints wasn't introduced until a later game.

Actually this is worthwhile simply to get an assassin locking down each den in the city. That way you can get full notierety and not worry about Templars recapturing the den if you don't play the tower defence mini game,. Also an easy source of money throughout the game.

It is really easy to not worry about the tower stuff. I think I did the defense thing one time in my original playthrough of the game and that was the tutorial where they force you to do it.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Action Tortoise posted:

other than cheevos, is there a reward in the game for getting full sync? does it unlock an alt ending?

Nope, not a thing so if you're not concerned about achievements you can happily ignore the 100% sync without missing out on anything.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

One more reason Prey rules.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

EmmyOk posted:

It's so lame and it's so clearly bad design because either it's "about to be murdered" or more commonly "we didn't program a way to stop you killing NPCs"

i think watch_dogs did a clever inversion bc the guy is in his little bomb shelter but you can hack his pacemaker to cause a heart attack and kill him.

Daedo posted:

Nope, not a thing so if you're not concerned about achievements you can happily ignore the 100% sync without missing out on anything.

oh thank god.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tunicate posted:

I've managed to softlock games a few times by saving killable NPCs, really they should just make it officially a cutscene and not even pretend you have control

I like when you intervene in scenes like the execution in Skyrim and all the NPCs just stand around doing nothing for the rest of eternity repeating stock dialogue.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

When you approach Lavos in Chronotrigger there's a gauntlet where you face most of the bosses you've face previously in the game in a row before entering Lavos itself for the final battle. It's a really cool idea, except they didn't level the bosses up to match your endgame power level, so they all die instantly like chumps. This turns what should have been an amazing set piece into a 5 minute nuisance.

It's irrelevant because everybody just crashes Epoch through Lavos's shell anyway, but still.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

It's irrelevant because everybody just crashes Epoch through Lavos's shell anyway, but still.

I've never understood why people do that. I guess I really liked the thing, because the idea of saccing it needlessly felt silly.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Eh, I kind of liked it that way. It shows how much stronger you've gotten along the way, and you see the bosses gradually take more and more attacks to get through.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Den Defence is hilarious because it's such a pain in the rear end to play, and by grinding an assassin to max level your reward is not having to play Den Defence. This entire mechanic is introduced and tutorialised in one chapter, and in the next chapter you can eliminate ever having to play the game again as it has no appearance in the main storyline beyond the tutorial.

I feel sandboxes like BOTW and MGSV are better than Ubisoft fare because every time they introduce a gameplay-mechanic it persists until the end of the game.

On the hand other Gwent in W3 is a great optional mechanic because it's integrated in to the world with it's own sense of progression. I was disappointed that I found all the cards and beat every player long before I finished Act 1 of the main story.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Aug 28, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Something that still drives me nuts is that in MGSV, they made a phone app that connects to the game and lets you listen to cassettes and junk, but doesn't even try to include letting you gently caress around with online stuff on the go. If I could fire off dispatch missions, fiddle with FOBs, and refine resources from the phone app I'd probably still be playing it. Instead you have to spend five minutes for the PS4 game to load up and rummage through all the notices and if you want resources you're leaving the game on while sitting in a box in the back of the truck because just idling isn't enough and arghhh :argh: Every time I feel the urge to boot it up I remember that I need five million litres of fuel to make anything good and end up playing Xenoverse 2 instead.

It wouldn't be SO egregious if the Ground Zeroes phone app didn't have a mother base simulation game on it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rydiafan posted:

When you approach Lavos in Chronotrigger there's a gauntlet where you face most of the bosses you've face previously in the game in a row before entering Lavos itself for the final battle. It's a really cool idea, except they didn't level the bosses up to match your endgame power level, so they all die instantly like chumps. This turns what should have been an amazing set piece into a 5 minute nuisance.

That's the whole point. The game shows you just how far you've come. You're supposed to tear through them. And then you face off against the real boss, who puts the rest of them to shame.

p.s. You don't fight them if you take the Black Omen route.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's the whole point. The game shows you just how far you've come. You're supposed to tear through them. And then you face off against the real boss, who puts the rest of them to shame.

p.s. You don't fight them if you take the Black Omen route.

Isn't there like, three different ways to fight Lavos (not even counting using the other teleporter in NG+) that end in you having entirely different boss fights? Because I believe Black Omen still has you fight the Lavos shell, but crashing into it in 1999 has you skip that too. And whatever the other way is (the bucket in the End of Time?) has you fight the gauntlet and the shell both.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Isn't there like, three different ways to fight Lavos (not even counting using the other teleporter in NG+) that end in you having entirely different boss fights? Because I believe Black Omen still has you fight the Lavos shell, but crashing into it in 1999 has you skip that too. And whatever the other way is (the bucket in the End of Time?) has you fight the gauntlet and the shell both.
From memory, so I might get some of it wrong

Black Omen: Jump straight into Lavos shell fight
Bucket: Fight boss gauntlet, then shell
Epoch: Jump straight to Lavos second form, no save point inside Lavos
Right telepod (NG+ only): Maybe straight to Lavos shell, not positive. Might fight gauntlet
Undersea palace: Powered-up Lavos shell that always opens with Destruction Rains. I forget if second and third forms are powered up, but beating him here earns the Developer's Room ending, just like if you took the right telepod.

Depending on which route you take and when in the game gets you a different ending

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Left 4 Dead 2: I gave the grenade launcher another try, and... nope, it's still as useless as a third elbow.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 4: Nick Valentine is standing in the middle of a room looking at the bodies of three raiders we just shot to death. "Looks like someone's been here. Wonder what scared them off." Followed moments later by "Now I don't hear a peep. I wonder why." No idea, Nick.

As a larger point, I find it a little immersion breaking when I find random loot in places that don't really make sense. I accept that Fallout's world has always been kinda crazy, so I don't mind when I open a safe in a school to find pistol ammo. But finding missiles and hand grenades seems a bit too far. Also, when I open a safe that's been sealed since before the bombs dropped and find a stash of bottle caps and some other items clearly made in the wasteland. Would it be that difficult to have loot items flagged as pre-war and post-war so they could be found appropriately? Genuine question, I know gently caress all about making games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

Fallout 4: Nick Valentine is standing in the middle of a room looking at the bodies of three raiders we just shot to death. "Looks like someone's been here. Wonder what scared them off." Followed moments later by "Now I don't hear a peep. I wonder why." No idea, Nick.

As a larger point, I find it a little immersion breaking when I find random loot in places that don't really make sense. I accept that Fallout's world has always been kinda crazy, so I don't mind when I open a safe in a school to find pistol ammo. But finding missiles and hand grenades seems a bit too far. Also, when I open a safe that's been sealed since before the bombs dropped and find a stash of bottle caps and some other items clearly made in the wasteland. Would it be that difficult to have loot items flagged as pre-war and post-war so they could be found appropriately? Genuine question, I know gently caress all about making games.
Bethesda doesn't think these things through that hard. Also they can't program for poo poo, check how bad the framerate drops in any city.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm pretty sure Oblivion had different leveled lists depending on where you were and what you were opening, so they should have been able to do it considering it's the same poo poo all the way back

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013

Danaru posted:

I'm pretty sure Oblivion had different leveled lists depending on where you were and what you were opening, so they should have been able to do it considering it's the same poo poo all the way back

I only dabbled with the Oblivion modding tools way back when, but I'm certain that there was such a thing as different lists of random items. You could make crates that only contained "food" items like carrots and apples, or barrels that only contained clothing, for instance. Could even assign multiple lists to the same container, if memory serves. I can't say if Bethesda carried that functionality forward all the way to Fallout 4, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

They definitely use that functionality in 3 and New Vegas. It just sounds like they didn't think to make a "pre-war only" loot list anywhere.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I feel sandboxes like BOTW and MGSV are better than Ubisoft fare because every time they introduce a gameplay-mechanic it persists until the end of the game.

i can't speak for zelda bc i haven't experienced it firsthand, but i know kojima is a big fan of ubisoft games and it shows in mgsv. tagging enemies for stealth gameplay became trendy after far cry and the basebuilding for diamond dogs comes from the assassin's creed games.

the thing i like that mgsv did was make tailing missions optional. the reward is usually more story if you're looking for that - and one target will rename themselves and get better stats, i think, if you follow his story arc in the mission.

also, even though the game is unfinished, the mission structure is so open ended that you can adjust playstyle and difficulty just based on your loadout. i can't think of other open world games that allow that amount of wiggle room.

did you know you can rescue kaz in the first mission and never run into the skulls? if you avoid the point where the mission wants you to extract you can find another extraction point and finish the mission without ever running into mist.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Danaru posted:

Something that still drives me nuts is that in MGSV, they made a phone app that connects to the game and lets you listen to cassettes and junk, but doesn't even try to include letting you gently caress around with online stuff on the go. If I could fire off dispatch missions, fiddle with FOBs, and refine resources from the phone app I'd probably still be playing it. Instead you have to spend five minutes for the PS4 game to load up and rummage through all the notices and if you want resources you're leaving the game on while sitting in a box in the back of the truck because just idling isn't enough and arghhh :argh: Every time I feel the urge to boot it up I remember that I need five million litres of fuel to make anything good and end up playing Xenoverse 2 instead.

It wouldn't be SO egregious if the Ground Zeroes phone app didn't have a mother base simulation game on it

the online stuff kneecaps the game imo. if they just had mgo and that was that, it would be fine. fob's should have an opt-in setting.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Action Tortoise posted:

i can't speak for zelda bc i haven't experienced it firsthand, but i know kojima is a big fan of ubisoft games and it shows in mgsv. tagging enemies for stealth gameplay became trendy after far cry and the basebuilding for diamond dogs comes from the assassin's creed games.
Mgs4 had an Altair skin and they actually made a fairly big to-do about it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tailing missions are almost universally a plague upon video games and it is a mystery to me why every other developer thinks my deepest heart desire is to walk behind a dude who goes 1/4 of my default speed and stops every 10 seconds to look behind him because he believes so deeply in looking the way he's going.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Mgs4 had an Altair skin and they actually made a fairly big to-do about it.

he's had references in 4 with the assassin robes and you can get an assassin ranking if you knife kill like 100 dudes or something and i think have no alerts.

also, this was in peacewalker.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Tailing missions are almost universally a plague upon video games and it is a mystery to me why every other developer thinks my deepest heart desire is to walk behind a dude who goes 1/4 of my default speed and stops every 10 seconds to look behind him because he believes so deeply in looking the way he's going.

that's the thing: they're completely optional in mgsv. the only reason you'd wanna do them is to check them off your list of optional tasks.

you can beeline for the objective for most missions from the start.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And of course it went the other way as well, with a cardboard box cameo of all things and a Raiden costume in AC: Brotherhood.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

The game even mentions that the safes have been locked since? I would just assume someone used them in the intervening 20 years or so.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The game even mentions that the safes have been locked since? I would just assume someone used them in the intervening 20 years or so.

20? Haha no its 210 years later.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That's literally 1/5th of MGS4.

If I were to list stuff that brings that game down I'd have to sit here writing for the next few hours.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

rear end creed black flag is the worst offender of this. 75% of the game is tailing missions, the other 25% are the fun part of the game. except the tailing missions last forever.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

That's literally 1/5th of MGS4.

If I were to list stuff that brings that game down I'd have to sit here writing for the next few hours.

Or the length of one cutscene.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

RareAcumen posted:

The games main storyline is that all this stuff was used post war, the Institute just rolls through and wipes everyone out every x years. You can probably count on one hand the number of things you can find that are pre war (and never used since). All of those safes were supposed to be used by raiders or previous settlers.

The safes have grenades and rockets or bottlecaps in them because someone picked the lock, threw out the pre war family jewels then stuck their own poo poo in them and then died. Heck in the hundreds of years those safes were probably looted and reused a dozen times. After you leave some jackwagon probably runs in behind you and decides to stick some caps in there for a rainy day or whatever. Radiation does weird things to peoples brains.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Or the length of one cutscene.

The game is about 4 hours long if you skip all cutscenes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Lap-Lem posted:

The games main storyline is that all this stuff was used post war, the Institute just rolls through and wipes everyone out every x years.

Is this really the excuse they use for society not progressing more than it has in 200 years?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

20? Haha no its 210 years later.

This will always be the silliest thing about the Fallout series. It's been 200 years throw the skulls out of the bed you're sleeping in at least.

quote:

Is this really the excuse they use for society not progressing more than it has in 200 years?

The excuse in FO3 is that DC got turbofucked so it's way behind. In New Vegas it's that New Vegas in particular sucks, the rest of the world is moving on. In FO4 it's the Institute being shitheads for no obvious reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

This will always be the silliest thing about the Fallout series. It's been 200 years throw the skulls out of the bed you're sleeping in at least.

The excuse in FO3 is that DC got turbofucked so it's way behind. In New Vegas it's that New Vegas in particular sucks, the rest of the world is moving on. In FO4 it's the Institute being shitheads for no obvious reason.

the real reason is that bethesda can't make an interesting apocalypse world and as for new vegas it's because they had to re-use fallout 3's assets