Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Quest For Glory II posted:

Best Street Fighter?

(the one with skullomania)

Goddamn you, you troll me with Souls and then you answer this.

drat you :argh:

[spolers, yes]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Dark Souls makes you a better person

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

Ys 8 is cool but really easy. It also ran better than Celceta and was fully 3D, its a pretty incredible technical accomplishment that like 10 people will ever see or care about.
That's good because Celceta dipped into the 10s at times in framerate (on Vita) and for an Ys game that's just abysmal

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The sprite work in SFIII is pretty amazing but I've never gelled with parries.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys VIII has that fun JRPG thing of building a town by finding people in the world who do specific tasks and then you bring them back to your village and by the end you have a bustling little city. I imagine people are going to see that PS4 version and wonder why a new PS2 game just came out

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

super turbo is probably the best + most important fighting game of all time, and definitely the best street fighter

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i also got forma.8 in the PSN sale which apparently barely anyone's ever played so I'll get to be in the hip cool club

to balance that out i got the mediocre stealth-superhot game Shadwen

i also got Watch Dogs and The Division at gamestop

In Training posted:

Ys VIII has that fun JRPG thing of building a town by finding people in the world who do specific tasks and then you bring them back to your village and by the end you have a bustling little city. I imagine people are going to see that PS4 version and wonder why a new PS2 game just came out
gently caress yea that's the best part of Suikoden I/II

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
since they're porting ys seven to pc the expectation people have is they'll also port celceta, so there will probably be a way to play it without constant framerate issues in the future

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Colonel posted:

i have no idea if you're talking about ys 3 or ys iv because ys 3 is a crappy sidescroller and the only one that got released in the us back then and ys iv is a crappy top-down game that didn't get released in the us but

It was a side-scroller so it must have been 3.

Also I guess I played Souls-likes long before everyone else did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8xOBmHr5A

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

i love modern falcom because they've spent the the late 7th-to-mid 8th console generations just trying to catch up graphically, so we're jumping from trails of cold steel and ys viii looking like ps2 games to cold steel 3 looking like a late ps3 game, and finally having actual lighting effects and animations

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I never played Lagoon, but watching the Awful Games Done Quck run made me go GOOD lord this is the perfect example of a game design with renting it because I do not see how the hell anyone could beat that game as a kid with some of the poo poo it does.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I played an Ys game on the SNES. It seemed all right. No Lagoon, though

wtf

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ys III on SNES is probably not a good video game, but it was the first Falcom/Ys game I ever played and it had good music and I rented it a lot and well, I kind of like it!!

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
This whole time I thought Ys was an adaptation of Y the Last Man :downs:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

i also got forma.8 in the PSN sale which apparently barely anyone's ever played so I'll get to be in the hip cool club

lol I also bought that and was just playing it earlier

It's not great, kind of like Song of the Deep if it were incredibly, really slow

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

lol I also bought that and was just playing it earlier

It's not great, kind of like Song of the Deep if it were incredibly, really slow
I can dig that though, slow is not always bad. hopefully it doesn't have the dumb laser/mirror puzzles that Song of the Deep had

my ironic purchase of the week was Minecraft Story Mode, I'm probably gonna play it with a couple other people and it will either surprise us or make us appropriately cringe

I'd say that Watch Dogs 1 was an ironic purchase but I don't think I can ironically purchase an open world game so I guess it was an unironic buy

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Colonel posted:

i saw someone mention a while back that the ending of furi fuckin sucks and so does the last boss, and i wanna say that person was completely right

that person might also have been me, i can't really remember

The story is dumb but if you're playing Furi for the story it's probably time to stop. I kinda liked the last secret boss but I can see why people hate the fight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I gave up on Furi on the fight that was like four minutes of chipping through shields

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Bloodborne's shield is my favorite joke item in a video game.

Charismatic autobiography tho

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I will be really sad if Ys 8 sucks, like, celceta was not very good and also it ran like poo poo on Vita, please be good 8

Celceta is good not the best but whatevs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't get on well with Furi because I played it around the same time as Bloodborne and the dodge happening when you let go of the button instead of when you pressed it just hosed with me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

Celceta is good tho.

And I don't remember it running particularly poorly either

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

And I don't remember it running particularly poorly either

Im not gonna be surprised if it does but same

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i played the translated/fixed version of this and it's surprisingly fun

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

I want more descent clones

I think that particular genre of space shooter has actually been getting a decent amount of love recently, though. I'm pretty certain at least 2 or 3 descent clones will have been released by the end of this year
I wish all the 6DOF controllers didn't die out, they were perfect for playing Descent and the like. But that's not enough games to support a controller and not easy enough controls to support a game.

This is a non sequitur but I bought Yonder in the PSN flash sale cause I saw it streamed before. It's a pretty chill non-combat exploration and crafting game. A bit goofy but I like it.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 28, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CrashCat posted:

I wish all the 6DOF controllers didn't die out, they were perfect for playing Descent and the like. But that's not enough games to support a controller and not easy enough controls to support a game.
there are still 6DOF controllers, they're just marketed for CAD and 3D modelling purposes but you can play games with them also. I got one of these Spacemouses and its just a really fun thing to touch idk

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I will be really sad if Ys 8 sucks, like, celceta was not very good and also it ran like poo poo on Vita, please be good 8

If you just really don't like party style Ys it probably won't change your mind but outside of that I see people really liking it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ys 7 was fine, as far as party-style goes. It also ran really smoothly despite the drop from 60 to 30 fps (which I assume will go back up to 60 for the PC version). 7 was one of the first games I got for my vita actually because I had come off of Oath/Origins and needed more. Actually I felt like 7 was faster than Celceta in general despite juggling party members. To be honest though I generally only used 2 of the 3 party members at any given time.

Honestly 30fps is fine for Ys, I just always want 60. Ys Ark on PS2 is 30 and it's fine (the actual problems lie elsewhere like the forced in voice acting and odd looking models). The problem with Celceta for me was it dropped below 30 many times. Maybe other people didn't have that issue but I did and it made the experience less enjoyable :(

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just decided right now that 31 is too old to play videogames goodbye forever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

Dang

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cowcaster posted:

:byewhore:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

I'm two years older than you, child

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

What about 27? Is that ok?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i pack up my PC tomorrow for my minneapolis move. it's gonna be a weird day. i'll be packed up pretty early probably and i leave tuesday so i'll probably play uncharted 3

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

hosed up if true

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8H2WC2e7go

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

oh no I only have 10 months left to game help

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

homeless snail posted:

oh no I only have 10 months left to game help

Ok here
https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/901842882394431488
https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/901846435498401792

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shirley Curry is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

poo poo, I've been playing video games illegally for months, then.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 28, 2017

• Locked thread