Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You can tell Sherilyn Fenn is a 90s queen, when required to dance she immediately starts voguing.

Also I came. The whole fifty seven minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I love how this means we still haven't actually seen Diane in the show

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Attitude Indicator posted:

I want to travel five years into the past to tell people there will be a new season of twin peaks. Jim belushi will be in it, he'll be coopers side kick and its loving rad.

it owns it really does

im just in a better mood when brad mitchum is on screen chewing stuff up, like in the limo he just had to have a fully loaded bloody mary to chug

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Berke Negri posted:

it owns it really does

im just in a better mood when brad mitchum is on screen chewing stuff up, like in the limo he just had to have a fully loaded bloody mary to chug

<Scene cut>

Well, thanks Dougie for explaining all of that to us. So you're in the FBI? Sweet.

My favorite cut in the episode.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDI7QJhy_o

what's not to love about literally any of this

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
So if the Roadhouse is a mental hospital, I'm guessing all of the roadhouse scenes make sense as mental patients? The only ones I can remember the crawling girl and the girl with the itch seem like they probably would. The only bit I cant quite figure out is James, maybe he is voluntarily there after his bike crash and can come and go, and is still able to work as a security guard part time? The bands at the roadhouse could be on the radio, explaining why so many famous bands can play here, and James song could be him playing his tape, explaining why the audio sounded exactly the same.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1528224180819917/permalink/1733506713624995/

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Annabel Pee posted:

So if the Roadhouse is a mental hospital, I'm guessing all of the roadhouse scenes make sense as mental patients? The only ones I can remember the crawling girl and the girl with the itch seem like they probably would. The only bit I cant quite figure out is James, maybe he is voluntarily there after his bike crash and can come and go, and is still able to work as a security guard part time? The bands at the roadhouse could be on the radio, explaining why so many famous bands can play here, and James song could be him playing his tape, explaining why the audio sounded exactly the same.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the scene where James and Freddie (I think I called him Frankie earlier, sorry) is the one Roadhouse scene where there isn't a live band playing (It's just ZZ Top being played with the big fake volume sign.) I think that one scene maybe actually happens in the real roadhouse. The other ones with random people we don't know talking about other random people we don't know might be Audrey's hallucinations/dreams/whatever. The one with Richard being lovely to that one girl after being told not to smoke may or may not have happened in reality? Chad was there getting money from Richie, but Richie is also Audrey's son so maybe he plays a part in her rich Roadhouse dreamworld.

Right now I don't think the other people in the Roadhouse scenes are other mental patients. I think the scenes occurred in Audrey's head, but I don't know yet whether she's in a hopsital, her own head, or the white lodge. She's definitely in a place that's very white and has a mirror. We'll probably learn more next weekend.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 28, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I'm hoping the next two episodes confirm why Audrey is so important to the plot, which Lynch mentioned before the season.

All the Annie stuff was originally supposed to be Audrey's season 2 storyline, according to the gossip/people involved outright speaking on the Lara Flynn Boyle situation, back then.

I've been wondering since the revival was announced if Lynch would right that wrong.

chime_on posted:

James, Freddie, Shelly, and Renee were all in the Roadhouse when the Chromatics played for the first time.

I don't think all the Roadhouse scenes are tied to Audrey's dream/whatever she's trapped in, but some of them probably are. The random booth conversations, didn't one mention Billy and Tina, etc? And that screaming girl last week, probably. I wonder if there's some kind of tell in the scene transitions.

Tupperwarez posted:

uh
Naido... Doian... Oh my gwod, Doian's comin' ovah! I'm so verklempt!

art

Escobarbarian posted:

That's so crazy that people including me were right about Evil Coop both being Richard's dad and raping Diane, even though it was only creepy rape-obsessed goons who could have possibly thought that way.

Yeah you better believe I'm smug as hell right now

:same: tbh

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDI7QJhy_o

what's not to love about literally any of this

The Super Mitchum Brothers are the best new characters.

Also, i believe all the roadhouse scenes previously are the actual roadhouse, and what we saw this episode was just audrey's version of it. I mean, why would audrey's mental landscape have 5 minute long sweeping scenes?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thinking about it, Audrey wouldn’t have access to a glass mirror in a mental institution. She’d more likely be in a padded cell. Maybe Lynch is trying to one-up Inland Empire by having Audrey dream all of this Roadhouse stuff but wake up from that dream in whatever the white purgatory zone is, but actually she’s in a mental institution and is imagining the purgatory place too?

Honestly, who the gently caress even knows besides Lynch :v:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Attitude Indicator posted:

I mean, why would audrey's mental landscape have 5 minute long sweeping scenes?

You mean yours doesn't?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Anyone's guess is as good as any other but I'm thinking just this Roadhouse scene was a dream - but the Roadhouse is spiritually important in some greater sense regardless of that. Guess we'll get all (some) answers next week!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Thinking about it, Audrey wouldn’t have access to a glass mirror in a mental institution. She’d more likely be in a padded cell. Maybe Lynch is trying to one-up Inland Empire by having Audrey dream all of this Roadhouse stuff but wake up from that dream in whatever the white purgatory zone is, but actually she’s in a mental institution and is imagining the purgatory place too?

Audrey's storyline is actually Sucker Punch imho.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Audrey's jazz theme was the music I maybe missed most from the original series, so I'm glad it turned out Lynch was saving it for something big and weird instead of just discarding it.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
In regards to the Audrey and Diane rapes, I think both were fairly obvious. BOB is in there and he feeds on fear and sorrow. Diane's confession makes it pretty clear, he saw her fear and consumed it. So much of the past seasons and FWWM were about the trauma that Laura suffered from her father abusing her. This is a primary plot point of the entire series. I was surprised that people didn't think that was the case, but then it got to be so much of a ridiculous argument of people claiming others were sick fucks because they thought there was rape, or stupid fucks because they didn't think it was happening. There was no chance to have a reasonable discussion about it. Anyone who's seen the earlier parts should have known that there were going to be some parts that would be very upsetting. I don't think that acknowledging the most unsavory parts of the show occurred makes you a sick gently caress. Nobody (I hope) relishes the terrible things that happen in the series.

Though, I do think that making everything about a bigger supernatural world of BOBs and other creatures diminishes the impact of the simple story of Laura being a victim of a lovely, molesting father. I am enjoying the story so far, but I think I'll be less happy if it ends up being spirit/aliens trying to take over the world instead of how a young, misguided girl dealt with the realization that her dad was a horrible person.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
the cut to audrey looking into the mirror was incredible

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Well I laughed, I cried. Amazing.

So for the finale double header we've got
- Defeat the doppelgänger
- What's inside Sarah Palmer?
- What's that sound in the Great Northern?
- Who is Linda?
- Who is Judy?
- What's the deal with Naido?

I'm quite impressed everything has come together so much. So we'll have Coop Classic, Laura Palmer, The Fireman, Zen Andy, The Cockney Glove Puncher, Carl Rodd, Hawk, Albert and Cole in a massive anime battle against the Doppelgänger, What's Eating Sarah Palmer, the Evolution of the Arm's Doppelgänger, BOB, Mother, The Frogmoth and Chad. A fitting finale.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I actually think my favorite moment in this episode (other than I am the FBI) was when the Mitchum Bros are getting the phone-call from Dougie and they're like "Alright, gas up the plane we're goin' to Spokane!"And Belushi's like "what's Dougie up to this time??" And T-Bag is just like "Pfft! Who knows!" and they happily go to gas up the jet and meet Dougie!

It just had this hilariously great lived-in feeling like a sit-com with Dougie-Coop and the Mitchum Bros has been going forever and their only reaction is "Oh, that Dougie xD"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i had no clue the mitchums were gonna be my favorites

the bit with the cherry pie was perfect

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

You mean yours doesn't?

It probably should have, now that i think about it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat I love the Mitchums. I can't believe I love them this much. They're so great.

Another Diane thing: I couldn't make out the beginning of the line when I first watched on Now TV without subtitles, but she says "I'm in the sheriff's station" three times in a row. So like.....she HAS to be Naido, doesn't she? And that also fits with Naido being Judy, as it is someone Coop's met before.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

drat I love the Mitchums. I can't believe I love them this much. They're so great.

Another Diane thing: I couldn't make out the beginning of the line when I first watched on Now TV without subtitles, but she says "I'm in the sheriff's station" three times in a row. So like.....she HAS to be Naido, doesn't she? And that also fits with Naido being Judy, as it is someone Coop's met before.

Also, if you think of those words as coming somehow from Diane-within-Naido, Naido being this alien body with hosed-up eyes, it makes absolute sense for her to be saying "I'm not myself! I'm not myself!"

If we presume those words, and the "I'm in the Sheriff's Station!" lines as coming from Real-Diane and not Tulpa-Diane, then it actually makes sense. That wasn't Tulpa-Diane saying "I'm not myself [I'm a tulpa]" it was Real-Diane saying "I'm not myself! [meaning she's someone else somehow meaning Naido?]"

Anyway, just my thoughts. You have to ascribe the "I'm not myself" as coming from not the Tulpa, but the real Diane though, I think.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

Kind of seems like we're not supposed to hear that clearly. She really mushes I'm, in and the together. So, yeah, that's probably a reveal next week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This show is so loving amazing, I can't believe it's almost over.

I kinda want it to go out on an unbelievable high and that's that, it's over. But I also kinda just want David Lynch to keep making this show forever because it is so loving good.

COOPER'S BACK! ....and maybe Janey-E and Sonny Jim will get to keep their happy family too :shobon:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Cooper is a better man than I.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"i am the FBI"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Gordo's seen too much poo poo. Nothing bothers him now

gordonwavinghisarmsataninvisiblevortex.gif :allears:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Internet's fast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnnoBTdlSLI

^^ Art.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
that "i am the FBI" was utterly perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5dRkActfIs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All I need now is Harry Truman returning to have Coop's back and this will be perfect television :shobon:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

esperterra posted:

You can tell Sherilyn Fenn is a 90s queen, when required to dance she immediately starts voguing.

Wasn't the whole thing a reference to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAcrXtMltOs

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So how come fake Diane seemeto have all of the real Dianes memories but fake coop (the original green jacket dougie) didnt

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm as surprised as anyone that Showtime paid David lynch to remake Zack Snyder's sucker punch but here we are. Look forward to Audrey fighting zombie samurai Nazis next week.

E: Esperterrrrraaaaa!!

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 28, 2017

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
When the Mitchum Brothers came back in episode 10 or whatever, I remember thinking "Ugh, the Vegas thugs? Thought we were done with these guys..." Who could have known how great of characters they would be.

Also, I can absolutely see how this story could have fit in 9 episodes. They would have been jam-packed, and maybe it wouldn't have been ideal, but it could have been done.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Thank you so much!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Zmej posted:

All of these pay offs feel empty and rushed. Solice Kirsk has a point. When everything builds up as one red herring after another it makes all the interim shenanigans feels pretty empty and useless.

No shade intended, but having watched the Twin Peaks E16 and GoT Finale back to back, I shocked someone could feel this way because GoT really made me appreciate the slow burn, confident payoffs of TPS3.

Season 7 of GoT is full of payoffs that happened either at lightning pace or with such inept writing it strips them of weight: They tease Sansa and Arya infighting only to have them fake you out and kill Littlefinger. Neat, but the infighting wasn't believable. It required everyone to be stupid and act counter to how they really would or how the series has written them. Likewise the Wall collapsing. It only happened because a bunch of characters got really stupid and decided to try to capture a zombie for a reason that in-universe everyone should have known wouldn't work, i.e. convincing Cersei not to be Cersei. Jon and Dany loving was a long time coming (get it?!) but they have no chemistry so who cares. Etc etc.

Compare that with having to wait 13 hours to get Real Coop back (I'm not counting episodes 1-3), 16 hours with Evil Coop, watching Richard be a loving dick over and over and wondering how he was going to get his comeuppance, wondering why Diane was so weird for like 9 episodes... All the big stuff has been painfully slow in coming. In fact, it seems like the bigger criticism is that things are too slow not too rushed. I'm enjoying the slow weirdness but I'm not surprised when other people are frustrated by it. Getting Cooper back last night was such a huge relief because of all the eeeennndddlllesssss (and hilarious) Dougie madness and I wouldn't have felt as emotional about it if it had happened in Episode 4 (still woulda been good but not as good as last night). Taking as much time as it did clustered love of Cooper with newfound love of Janey-E and Sonny Jim (and the mixed emotions you feel watching Coop leave them). Diane's a little weirder, but it seems to add to the Lodge mythos in a bigger way and sets up even weirder payoff next week.

For me personally, episode 16 was one of the best hours of TV in my life. :stoked:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Baloogan posted:

that "i am the FBI" was utterly perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5dRkActfIs

I loved the use of the theme music to punctuate that baller dialogue and the successive reveals of Coop's regained competence, but am I the only one who thinks it was a little bit of a pulled punch? Feels like this would have been a perfect place for a new cut of music, perhaps a new remix of the theme with a bit more triumph and drive to it. Give it some drums, kick up the tempo a little. You know, a reprise, reworked for a dramatic moment, not just pressing Play on the track you already have.

But then that's what a "normal" show or movie would do, so

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I loved the use of the theme music to punctuate that baller dialogue and the successive reveals of Coop's regained competence, but am I the only one who thinks it was a little bit of a pulled punch? Feels like this would have been a perfect place for a new cut of music, perhaps a new remix of the theme with a bit more triumph and drive to it. Give it some drums, kick up the tempo a little. You know, a reprise, reworked for a dramatic moment, not just pressing Play on the track you already have.

But then that's what a "normal" show or movie would do, so

I think it was done because this is actually the beginning of "The Return."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

mary had a little clam posted:

No shade intended, but having watched the Twin Peaks E16 and GoT Finale back to back, I shocked someone could feel this way because GoT really made me appreciate the slow burn, confident payoffs of TPS3.

Season 7 of GoT is full of payoffs that happened either at lightning pace or with such inept writing it strips them of weight: They tease Sansa and Arya infighting only to have them fake you out and kill Littlefinger. Neat, but the infighting wasn't believable. It required everyone to be stupid and act counter to how they really would or how the series has written them. Likewise the Wall collapsing. It only happened because a bunch of characters got really stupid and decided to try to capture a zombie for a reason that in-universe everyone should have known wouldn't work, i.e. convincing Cersei not to be Cersei. Jon and Dany loving was a long time coming (get it?!) but they have no chemistry so who cares. Etc etc.

Compare that with having to wait 13 hours to get Real Coop back (I'm not counting episodes 1-3), 16 hours with Evil Coop, watching Richard be a loving dick over and over and wondering how he was going to get his comeuppance, wondering why Diane was so weird for like 9 episodes... All the big stuff has been painfully slow in coming. In fact, it seems like the bigger criticism is that things are too slow not too rushed. I'm enjoying the slow weirdness but I'm not surprised when other people are frustrated by it. Getting Cooper back last night was such a huge relief because of all the eeeennndddlllesssss (and hilarious) Dougie madness and I wouldn't have felt as emotional about it if it had happened in Episode 4 (still woulda been good but not as good as last night). Taking as much time as it did clustered love of Cooper with newfound love of Janey-E and Sonny Jim (and the mixed emotions you feel watching Coop leave them). Diane's a little weirder, but it seems to add to the Lodge mythos in a bigger way and sets up even weirder payoff next week.

For me personally, episode 16 was one of the best hours of TV in my life. :stoked:

Yeah this. I really appreciate the slow, deliberate pace of this season, and feel like this season of Thrones is cheapened for its need to race to the end. Every big moment in this season of Twin Peaks feels earned.