Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

What I actually did was convert my Pro boxes to Enterprise and use a hack to activate it. Its hosed but these goddamn machines have a real license and yet I can't control how they update without changing to Enterprise.

Everything about your setup and solution is terrible. You're screwing over your company and whoever replaces you. Get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

bigis posted:

Could this be why I get unexplained 100% disk usage for 5 or 10 minutes when I open my laptop? I've tried just about everything to fix it.

Definitely. If your power profile is configured to transition from standby to hibernate after some timer you might want to try turning that off and only having it hibernate if the battery charge hits a certain threshold. Resuming from hibernation makes the system suck for a while on slow disk but hey, at least you saved your application state.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I cut the text in a sticky note I've had for a long time and deleted it right away, went to paste it into .txt file only to find out that my clipboard was empty. What the gently caress MS? Nothing else in Windows works like that, at least with text.

E: Why can Sticky Notes even clear the clipboard?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 24, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redeyes posted:

What I actually did was convert my Pro boxes to Enterprise and use a hack to activate it. Its hosed but these goddamn machines have a real license and yet I can't control how they update without changing to Enterprise.

This is bad and you are bad. Who do you work for so we can get you audited.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sininu posted:

I cut the text in a sticky note I've had for a long time and deleted it right away, went to paste it into .txt file only to find out that my clipboard was empty. What the gently caress MS? Nothing else in Windows works like that, at least with text.

E: Why can Sticky Notes even clear the clipboard?

There's two ways to put data on the clipboard, full copy and lazy copy. With a full copy you really copy the entire data from your process into a system buffer, which other programs can then retrieve. The data stays after your process exits, or even just the window placing the data there closing. With a lazy copy you just tell the system that you have some data of some type for the clipboard, but don't actually provide the data. Only when someone else asks for the data are you required to provide it, and you hand it directly to the requesting application, the system as such doesn't get a copy to keep. So with a lazy copy, when your process exits the data copied cease existing because there isn't anyone left to respond to requests for the copied data.

This is also why you'll occasionally see some programs (like Excel) ask if you want to keep a large amount of data on the clipboard when you close them. What they're actually asking is whether to convert their lazy clipboard data to full clipboard data.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

nielsm posted:

There's two ways to put data on the clipboard, full copy and lazy copy. With a full copy you really copy the entire data from your process into a system buffer, which other programs can then retrieve. The data stays after your process exits, or even just the window placing the data there closing. With a lazy copy you just tell the system that you have some data of some type for the clipboard, but don't actually provide the data. Only when someone else asks for the data are you required to provide it, and you hand it directly to the requesting application, the system as such doesn't get a copy to keep. So with a lazy copy, when your process exits the data copied cease existing because there isn't anyone left to respond to requests for the copied data.

This is also why you'll occasionally see some programs (like Excel) ask if you want to keep a large amount of data on the clipboard when you close them. What they're actually asking is whether to convert their lazy clipboard data to full clipboard data.

Thanks for another good explanation Nielsm :) still pissed about it though...
I think something like Sticky Notes should always use full copy since it's only used for small amounts of text :argh:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Sininu posted:

I think something like Sticky Notes should always use full copy since it's only used for small amounts of text :argh:

Challenge accepted? :v:

I would not be surprised if Sticky Notes uses soft copy because someone was doing terrible things and it caused problems.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

isndl posted:

Challenge accepted? :v:

I would not be surprised if Sticky Notes uses soft copy because someone was doing terrible things and it caused problems.

The UWP Sticky Notes has had many other puzzling issues before, but they have been fixed since. I feel like this might be another of those.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why not use Snipping Tool?

Snipping tool is poor if you are trying to draw boxes around the items in the screen shot that need attention. Yeah, I can draw it with a lovely pen tool, but that looks lovely. Give me nice geometric shapes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EoRaptor posted:

Everything about your setup and solution is terrible. You're screwing over your company and whoever replaces you. Get hosed.

This isn't a company and try not to take things so personally. Alternately maybe you can help folks with Pro figure out how to NOT have their boxes reboot whenever update/ms/gently caress.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redeyes posted:

This isn't a company and try not to take things so personally. Alternately maybe you can help folks with Pro figure out how to NOT have their boxes reboot whenever update/ms/gently caress.

Put the machine on your domain (you do have a domain, right?) and control updates via WSUS or SCCM. Only deliver updates to these machines outside business hours and set them up to reboot after the updates, still outside business hours.
In other words, just manage them properly like any competent Windows admin would.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Put the machine on your domain (you do have a domain, right?) and control updates via WSUS or SCCM. Only deliver updates to these machines outside business hours and set them up to reboot after the updates, still outside business hours.
In other words, just manage them properly like any competent Windows admin would.

As I said this isn't a company, there is no domain or budget to do so. The problem is the auto reboots while work is being done. It is not acceptable ever.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

redeyes posted:

As I said this isn't a company, there is no domain or budget to do so. The problem is the auto reboots while work is being done. It is not acceptable ever.

How about you save your work on a regular basis and keep your poo poo up to date?

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 26, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Does Windows need so many updates because it's a bag of poo poo?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Here let me tell you a story about Windows Update.

On August 9th of this year, Windows Update downloaded KB4034674, "2017-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems", to my computer. It was downloaded and it was staged for installation, but required a reboot to complete installation.
I did not reboot my computer on the 9th. I saw that the shutdown options had been replaced with the "Install updates and shut down/reboot" ones, but I put it to hibernation, went to sleep, and resumed it the next day.
On the 10th I did not reboot my computer either. I again put it to hibernation, went to sleep, and resumed it the next day.
On the 11th Windows was getting annoyed with me and warned me to soon reboot. I did not reboot, instead I put the computer to hibernation, went to sleep, and resumed it the next day.
On the 12th Windows was still warning me that it required a reboot. I thought, maybe I should actually do as the message asks me to and reboot some time soon. So I finished up things I had open, closed down my programs, and rebooted manually. The updated installed successfully, and I have not rebooted since. Instead I have been hibernating my machine every night, and Windows Defender and various store app updates have been silently installed.

See what happened here? I went 3 days without rebooting from when the update was first downloaded and staged. Windows was warning me about a necessary reboot well in advance.

Check this post I made earlier, with an Event Log custom view that makes it easy to find events related to updates. Next time you've been hit with an automated reboot you didn't expect, can I ask you to check out those events? Figure out when the update was downloaded/staged and compare to when the reboot happened.

Oh yeah, and also check this little option I just found in my Windows 10 Pro 1703 "Creator's Update" advanced settings for Windows Update:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Does Windows need so many updates because it's a bag of poo poo?

Yep.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Here let me tell you a story about Windows Update.

On August 9th of this year, Windows Update downloaded KB4034674, "2017-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems", to my computer. It was downloaded and it was staged for installation, but required a reboot to complete installation.
I did not reboot my computer on the 9th. I saw that the shutdown options had been replaced with the "Install updates and shut down/reboot" ones, but I put it to hibernation, went to sleep, and resumed it the next day.
On the 10th I did not reboot my computer either. I again put it to hibernation, went to sleep, and resumed it the next day.
On the 11th Windows was getting annoyed with me and warned me to soon reboot. I did not reboot, instead I put the computer to hibernation, went to sleep, and resumed it the next day.
On the 12th Windows was still warning me that it required a reboot. I thought, maybe I should actually do as the message asks me to and reboot some time soon. So I finished up things I had open, closed down my programs, and rebooted manually. The updated installed successfully, and I have not rebooted since. Instead I have been hibernating my machine every night, and Windows Defender and various store app updates have been silently installed.

See what happened here? I went 3 days without rebooting from when the update was first downloaded and staged. Windows was warning me about a necessary reboot well in advance.

Check this post I made earlier, with an Event Log custom view that makes it easy to find events related to updates. Next time you've been hit with an automated reboot you didn't expect, can I ask you to check out those events? Figure out when the update was downloaded/staged and compare to when the reboot happened.

Oh yeah, and also check this little option I just found in my Windows 10 Pro 1703 "Creator's Update" advanced settings for Windows Update:

That is at least something. On the other hand:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-forced-downloads-we-wont-do-them-again-pledges-microsoft/

Not sure if this means security updates or whole OS updates. I really can't stress enough how bad of a design decision this is for people that use their computers as workstations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you really need a Windows 10 machine to run some computation for more than 35 days without interruption, here's my best suggestion:

Otherwise, use that new feature I just pointed out. I think it's pretty clear: It prevents Windows Update from installing anything at all until the date it shows. Here "anything at all" should include version upgrades, monthly patch rollups, non-essential bugfixes/etc., Windows Defender definitions, and anything else you can think of.

So I think it's pretty clear: If you need to run some workload that can't be interrupted, on Windows 10 Pro, you first reboot once to make sure there aren't any already-pending updates. Then you go enable the "Pause Updates" function, and then you run your job. (It's in Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options.)

That German lawsuit was about the Windows 7/8 upgrades to 10 people were tricked into taking. Arguably it could also count for future major WIndows 10 upgrades, the ones that change the build number, especially since they do tend to have not-insignificant changes to core UI, like the changes in the Start menu layout between Windows 10 RTM and later versions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Something I'm still not clear on: For a glorified kiosk like this that isn't used outside of business hours, why not just schedule a reboot at every midnight?
OS gets to do its updates, nobody should be using it at that time so no interrupting presentations. Everybody's happy, right?

Or are you claiming Windows 10 will still force update-related reboots in the middle of the day if you do this?

E: I know it's apparently way too much to ask for people to be sane and shut their loving computer down at the end of the day and start it up again the next morning.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I just plan to reboot around patch tuesday (first tuesday of every month) and have never been forced into rebooting because I do it within a day or so of the big updates dropping

Its not like MS just randomly drops an update and gives you an hour to reboot or it forces it

I see people running regular laptops/desktops complaining and I just dont get how they end up in these situations, especially in a world where SSDs exist and restart time is less than 30 seconds on the worst days.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Christ people. There are projects that span over many weeks/months and when you have a computer with like 64GB of RAM and almost a hundred programs loaded at once. Rebooting is not a minor thing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

redeyes posted:

Christ people. There are projects that span over many weeks/months and when you have a computer with like 64GB of RAM and almost a hundred programs loaded at once. Rebooting is not a minor thing.

I was very specifically talking about presentation kiosks (and also normal desktop workstations that are only used for email and the internet, I guess).
Don't start throwing a shitfit talking about a whole different class of computers. What the gently caress is wrong with you?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OK, reboot your kiosk as many times as you want.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Arcon posted:

I see people running regular laptops/desktops complaining and I just dont get how they end up in these situations, especially in a world where SSDs exist and restart time is less than 30 seconds on the worst days.
Laptops are an easy one to understand. Sleep/suspend works well. People who only have their laptops open when they're actually using them give the system no chance to update itself.

Desktops on the other hand pretty much come down to somewhere on the laziness/stubbornness spectrum.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

You keep changing what you are saying so you can be right. So these are presentation computers that people remote into with ipads, but they have 64GB of ram and hundreds of programs open?

It sounds like whatever not company this is could afford manage computers correctly, and instead you've decided to put in unlicensed software and expose everything to a high risk of a security breach just because you don't understand why or how systems need to be centrally managed.

Also, people should be saving their work all the time anyway, because power outages, system crashes, accidentally kicking the cord all happen all the time, so scheduled reboots should be a good habit to maintain. A computer isn't somebodies workflow.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

EoRaptor posted:

Also, people should be saving their work all the time anyway, because power outages, system crashes, accidentally kicking the cord all happen all the time, so scheduled reboots should be a good habit to maintain. A computer isn't somebodies workflow.

This hypothetical is the best because I can just imagine some dude losing 3 months of work due to someone hitting a power pole and not stopping to think he might be at fault for never hitting the loving Save button. But yeah, consumer-grade windows is not the devil because it has the gall to ask its users to reboot once a month for security patches

If you are doing some big project that takes months of work and cant be saved in the middle, why are you even using consumer windows in its default settings to begin with anyway

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redeyes posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Redeyes has been consistently wrong and bad with every single opinion of his whenever he posts in this thread.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

100 programs loaded at once wtf

Why

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
redeyes is hardcore. :black101::hellyeah:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Why

Gotta keep all those Chrome tabs open for several months, man!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Geemer posted:

Gotta keep all those Chrome tabs open for several months, man!

Don't judge my lifestyle.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ratbert90 posted:

Redeyes has been consistently wrong and bad with every single opinion of his whenever he posts in this thread.

As someone who has also been on the whole "windows update rebooted my pc without asking" thing, it's really made me rethink my position. Because if that guy is that much of an idiot what does it say about me? Maybe I'm an idiot too? :ohdear:

Instead I'll just state for the record that I neither endorse or approve of the redeyes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i reboot every time i read this thread

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Why

I really think people should be allowed to use their computer how they see fit; having your computer (a work tool) gently caress you around when you need to get on with your work is not reasonable, and nobody should be defending that behaviour.

I don't have any of these problems, for the record, so I'm not moaning about it myself, but just because someone isn't using a machine the Microsoft-sanctioned way, or the same way as I do, doesn't mean they should suffer a lovely experience.

That said, I still run Windows 7 at home, and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 at work :D

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 28, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

redeyes is hardcore. :black101::hellyeah:

I don't know why everyone thinks I actually use my computer like that. I just support people that use computers. I am not in the business of lecturing folks about their work habits. I just make stuff work so they can make a living.

Im actually looking forward to Windows 10 Pro Workstation. Presumably a consumer can buy it retail and it operates close to enterprise which a retail/small business can't really buy.

^^hows LTSB treating you?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 28, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

I really think people should be allowed to use their computer how they see fit; having your computer (a work tool) gently caress you around when you need to get on with your work is not reasonable, and nobody should be defending that behaviour.

I don't have any of these problems, for the record, so I'm not moaning about it myself, but just because someone isn't using a machine the Microsoft-sanctioned way, or the same way as I do, doesn't mean they should suffer a lovely experience.

That said, I still run Windows 7 at home, and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 at work :D

Tools require update and maintenance. Windows needing updates is the maintenance it needs to work efficiently. You presumably take care of your other tools; why is Windows an exception?

Edit: Also I agree with the "this thread makes me check for updates/reboot whenever I read it" sentiment. It's not that hard to take care of your own computer.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 28, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Windows 10 keeps making the jingle sound like I'm plugging a new peripheral in, then removing it seconds/minutes later, but not giving me any kind of notifications. Is this a well known bug? Is there a place I can look at the history of what's been plugged and unplugged? Can anything else cause that sound?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

redeyes posted:

I don't know why everyone thinks I actually use my computer like that. I just support people that use computers. I am not in the business of lecturing folks about their work habits. I just make stuff work so they can make a living.

Im actually looking forward to Windows 10 Pro Workstation. Presumably a consumer can buy it retail and it operates close to enterprise which a retail/small business can't really buy.

^^hows LTSB treating you?

maybe you should support them into the 21st century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Windows 10 keeps making the jingle sound like I'm plugging a new peripheral in, then removing it seconds/minutes later, but not giving me any kind of notifications. Is this a well known bug? Is there a place I can look at the history of what's been plugged and unplugged? Can anything else cause that sound?

Check your event log, this happened to me and it was the windows store updating the built-in apps and it stopped after an hour or two. It's idiotic.