Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

redeyes posted:

^^hows LTSB treating you?

It was too tempting not to choose - a Windows 10 without most of the Windows 10 stuff. Doesn't even have the store, at all.

I like it. It doesn't get in my way. It's also nice to know I won't get into work one day and be stuck with a time-consuming update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Check your event log, this happened to me and it was the windows store updating the built-in apps and it stopped after an hour or two. It's idiotic.

How do I do that?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Right click on the start button, there should be an option called Event Viewer. See if there are a bunch of entries in the Application Log of apps updating that correspond with the sounds.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or just open the Store and manually click check for app updates.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

I really think people should be allowed to use their computer how they see fit; having your computer (a work tool) gently caress you around when you need to get on with your work is not reasonable, and nobody should be defending that behaviour.

I don't have any of these problems, for the record, so I'm not moaning about it myself, but just because someone isn't using a machine the Microsoft-sanctioned way, or the same way as I do, doesn't mean they should suffer a lovely experience.

That said, I still run Windows 7 at home, and Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 at work :D

I'm more interested in how anyone can use 100 programs loaded into memory at one time, presumably with unsaved results. Not even criticising.

Or they using a ramdisk or something?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm more interested in how anyone can use 100 programs loaded into memory at one time, presumably with unsaved results. Not even criticising.

It does sound pretty extreme.
Also, sorry if I caused any offence, I wasn't picking on your comment in particular, just a general feeling in the thread.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 28, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hey no worries, I thought you were doing that.

It's all 100% cool with me :cool: I thought afterwards I might seem bitchy and hoped I didn't.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Security question here;

I only boot into Windows every now and again via Bootcamp to run the occasional app that’s not supported on macOS, sometimes I play the odd Steam game.

Is Windows Defender good enough for security and antivirus related things?

I can get a free copy of Mcaffee through my bank if that helps, but I’d rather not install third party stuff if I don’t have to.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Never install McAffee if you can help it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

John McAffee really needs an account though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

awesome-express posted:

Security question here;

I only boot into Windows every now and again via Bootcamp to run the occasional app that’s not supported on macOS, sometimes I play the odd Steam game.

Is Windows Defender good enough for security and antivirus related things?

I can get a free copy of Mcaffee through my bank if that helps, but I’d rather not install third party stuff if I don’t have to.

Windows Defender is adequate for the majority of home users, although in your case it sounds like you'll be booting into Windows infrequently enough that it'll have to update every time (just manually tell it to check for updates if you're about to visit a sketchy website or something). I wouldn't bother with McAffee, it's more trouble than it's worth.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

isndl posted:

Windows Defender is adequate for the majority of home users, although in your case it sounds like you'll be booting into Windows infrequently enough that it'll have to update every time (just manually tell it to check for updates if you're about to visit a sketchy website or something). I wouldn't bother with McAffee, it's more trouble than it's worth.

I always check for system updates the moment I boot into Windows anyway.

Thanks guys!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm more interested in how anyone can use 100 programs loaded into memory at one time

That part's easy: just use Chrome on Windows. Add Visual Studio to really get usage up there. My work laptop has 315 processes going right now and System Commit is just over 20 GB.

Luckily, modern VS and Chrome are good about restoring state, but not everything is.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Munkeymon posted:

That part's easy: just use Chrome on Windows. Add Visual Studio to really get usage up there. My work laptop has 315 processes going right now and System Commit is just over 20 GB.

Luckily, modern VS and Chrome are good about restoring state, but not everything is.

Ah, I didn't think they meant multi process programs like Chrome. Fair enough.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So, is my System hosed here? I just noticed that there is no "(x86)" in the name of my second Program Files folder...

I just noticed this now, so I'm not sure if this happened days ago or literally today, but I'm going to assume it happened very recently because its really eye catching for me so I doubt it'd go uncatched for very long, is there something I can do to bring the "(x86)" part back?

Should note that everything still seems to be working, like programs that are installed in the (x86) folder work, and shortcuts that point to them such as "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProgramXYZ\ProgramXYZ.exe"

EDIT: Okay cool, turns out the cause was that tiny little hidden desktop.ini file that resides in the (x86) folder causing this display name issue, apparently you can have desktop.ini's rename things to anything you want, neat, good way to mess with people too.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 30, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Right click on the start button, there should be an option called Event Viewer. See if there are a bunch of entries in the Application Log of apps updating that correspond with the sounds.

Okay, in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application, the log entries don't seem to correspond to the sounds because the most recent entry's half an hour before the most recent sounds.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Okay, in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application, the log entries don't seem to correspond to the sounds because the most recent entry's half an hour before the most recent sounds.

Device added/removed events actually aren't logged at all, it seems. At least not as that. When a device is added it seems a process is usually run as a system/service user, so you see a couple events in the Security log. But those tell nothing about the cause or device involved, just that something acquired a token.
Supposedly there is some policy you can enable that causes logging about devices added/removed, but I can't find it.

However I think you can write an application that listens for hardware configuration changes and does something when those happen. Maybe try searching for existing 3rd-party software that just logs hardware changes? I think it should exist.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You could give USBLogView a try and see if it's some USB device misbehaving.
My phone likes to randomly reconnect to my work pc when it's charging and causes the disconnect/connect sound to play in Windows.

You can just leave it open until the sound triggers and then take a look at it. If it was a USB thing, it should show up in the list.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Geemer posted:

You could give USBLogView a try and see if it's some USB device misbehaving.
My phone likes to randomly reconnect to my work pc when it's charging and causes the disconnect/connect sound to play in Windows.

You can just leave it open until the sound triggers and then take a look at it. If it was a USB thing, it should show up in the list.

Okay thanks, it looks like it was just my mouse driver being weird.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a big update coming out? Windows has just downloaded 10 gigabytes of something. Svchost.exe is still downloading at over 100 mbit. Getting tempted to unplug my modem.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

plape tickler posted:

Is there a big update coming out? Windows has just downloaded 10 gigabytes of something. Svchost.exe is still downloading at over 100 mbit. Getting tempted to unplug my modem.

are you already running creator's update? there have been reports of microsoft just pre-loading it if you haven't upgraded yet.

i've noticed KB4032188 keeps failing to install here, check your update history maybe

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nothing is listed since August 8th. To my knowledge I'm not running the update you mentioned. Still downloading whatever it is. I forgot I have a few windows 10 games installed. Maybe one of them is updating or it's the creator's update.

Edit - It's Recore (game) downloading itself again. Auto update apps is turned off now.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 1, 2017

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If you have a desktop system with 64gb of ram running "hundreds of critical programs" that can't be shut down then you are doing it so hilariously loving wrong that you deserve every bit of poo poo that hits you in the face because you're staring directly into the fan.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you have a desktop system with 64gb of ram running "hundreds of critical programs" that can't be shut down then you are doing it so hilariously loving wrong that you deserve every bit of poo poo that hits you in the face because you're staring directly into the fan.

What is the right way then?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Run Windows 2016.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

redeyes posted:

Whatever way doesn't involve long-running critical tasks on a general purpose desktop operating system.

If your process requires that, your process is hosed to begin with and the fix lies somewhere else other than complaining about the OS forcing a reboot once a month.

Either fix the task so it can save its state intermittently to nonvolatile storage or run it on a dedicated server/appliance where the attack surface can be sufficiently reduced that most security patches become irrelevant.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

redeyes posted:

Get a Mac

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

redeyes posted:

Servers running server OSes, and preferably virtualized so you have only one application (or maybe 2-3, depending on interaction requirements) running in an instance.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Servers running server OSes, and preferably virtualized so you have only one application (or maybe 2-3, depending on interaction requirements) running in an instance.

Not only that, but also that critical task that takes a long time, has to be interruptable and resumable. Is not a question of "will the server go down" but "when will the server go down" even with server OSes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's no "right way" because there's no way you're actually running hundreds of simultaneous critical program on any sort of system that you'd also be booting plain Windows 10 in the first place instead of a server OS. If they're all actually running at once and doing important work, then surely you'd have at least a hundred cores in there, and you're at the point of getting server motherboards that have like 5 or 6 sockets so you can stack up on $5000 24 core Xeons, and hell the sheer coordination issues since supposedly all these things need to be able to interact with each other directly.

We're talking a workload that should realistically be getting put on a cluster of related computers if not straight onto a mainframe sort of system where you actually can expect to never go down because the entire architecture is designed around hot-swapping everything.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Put the workload on a virtual machine in HyperV or VMWare Workstation. The VMM can then suspend the virtual machine running the job when the host machine reboots. (And then you can isolate the virtual machine from network or whatever so if it must run Windows it can run without getting/needing updates.)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Quarantining a Windows install from the WAN so you can disable Windows Update is doable with a $50 router these days.

I have one such system running Windows 10 Pro that hosts a Blue Iris video surveillance system. I've put firewall rules in place that it can see the internet, but the internet can't see it. Also that the system can't reach anything else on the LAN but the default gateway. Windows Update is off and the system has 100% uptime. I periodically log in to manually install updates so it can reboot at graceful times. Simple.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any of those Ebay OEM Windows 7 key sellers that are known to be legit, or is it all shady?

Also, for the disability upgrade, is it just an on your honor thing? Or is that gone now too?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any of those Ebay OEM Windows 7 key sellers that are known to be legit, or is it all shady?

Also, for the disability upgrade, is it just an on your honor thing? Or is that gone now too?

I got a Windows 10 pro key that way and it worked fine. I dont know if it's ok to post that stuff here though, but it's not like using a crack or anything if you got a legit key so I dunno.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've bought a bunch of $3 Windows 7 Pro keys that upgraded to Windows 10 Pro with a valid digital entitlement without an issue.

I've also bought like 20 $3 Office 2010 keys, and 3 / 20 so far have had issues with activation, either upon activating or within a couple weeks of activating.

In the latter case, I've been able to EBay message the seller about the keys being bad, and they've given me replacements, no problem.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I hope it's okay, since I was asking if it's legit. And the person I'm asking for on the "assistive technologies" upgrade actually has glaucoma, so that's legit too.

E: thanks. I guess EBay does have a buyer protection program in a lot of cases.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If I plain need to buy a license for a machine I may be building later in the year, where is a good place to get it cheap? Prices are all over the place on Google.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I figure that the posters in this thread might be able to help me with my problem with performing a backup to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect. Macrium seems to be getting confused about how much disk space I have on my external drive. If anybody would be willing to check out link to the tech support thread below and help me out, it would be much appreciated.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832882

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 3, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

silence_kit posted:

I figure that the posters in this thread might be able to help me with my problem with performing a backup to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect. Macrium seems to be getting confused about how much disk space I have on my external drive. If anybody would be willing to check out link to the tech support thread below and help me out, it would be much appreciated.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3832882

that link needs some tech support

here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832882

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

If I plain need to buy a license for a machine I may be building later in the year, where is a good place to get it cheap? Prices are all over the place on Google.
I want to know, too. I have an older computer I might install windows on so I can run when I can be bothered to copy stuff around between my hard drives.

Also do these licenses work on VMs? I might also want to buy a license for a VM.