Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

NRVNQSR posted:

Also, Dell are releasing a headset with inside-out tracking, inside-out tracked controllers and a welding helmet strap with flip-up display. For $359 $459 in October. If the build and lens quality is somehow good this might be the first headset that you could reasonably call gen 1.5?

1440p is an upgrade. Cant see anything about fov or optics tho. Seem to thing msvr is set to be dissapointing vs ocuvive in those regards. Fingers crossed Del has it sussed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Surprise Giraffe posted:

1440p is an upgrade. Cant see anything about fov or optics tho. Seem to thing msvr is set to be dissapointing vs ocuvive in those regards. Fingers crossed Del has it sussed

All the developer kit previews on youtube imply that the FOV is markedly worse than Oculus / Vive. Also the inside out tracking gets very confused if you have no objects in the scene that it can track reliably (like a green screen)

Also the HMD needs line of sight to the controllers for them to be tracked properly. The controllers don't actually track the environment. Early reports indicate that it's decent at approximating where your hands are without LOS tho.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Grey posted:

Same here... I just tried Aircar for the first time. It's like flying around in Bladerunner, super cool. I was just slowing cruising around and first and felt mostly okay, then I tried doing some barrel rolls and a few other acrobatic maneuvers. After a couple minutes of that I had to take the headset off.

Having the horizon be at a radically different angle than your inner ear is saying it should be can be distressing, the Valkyrie people specifically called that out as something they try to avoid in 6DOF flight. The on-planet map they patched in a while ago is surrounded by mountains, industrial structures, and other junk so there's no unbroken line for your brain to fixate on.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 28, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

How long until we have a VR headset with a piped-in air cooling system?

Pretty sure one model of Gear VR had a defogging fan standard then they stopped doing it. It's easy enough to mod in with those Raspberry Pi super small cooling fans.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Pretty sure one model of Gear VR had a defogging fan standard then they stopped doing it. It's easy enough to mod in with those Raspberry Pi super small cooling fans.

Apparently you don't really want it. Vive and chill tested it and found that it was uncomfortable and instead found a fan on the forehead helps much more.

EDIT: I believe that was the open dev kit "Innovated Edition I believe" with the Note 4. Once it was retail they haven't had a fan. The Vive and Rift, do something to keep the display warm so they don't fog. Fogging is def. an issue for a minute or 2 after putting on the Gear, but never had it with the Rift/Vive.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 28, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Blattdorf posted:

I've just got back from trying out the Rift at a VR arcade. I used to think Vive was the champ here, but the Rift with the Touch controllers is just as good. I actually prefer the Touch controllers because the Vive wands seem a bit to cumbersome.
I think at this point the conclusion is pretty much universal that Touch > Vive wands, that's why the "knuckles" controllers are such a large change. Even the biggest Vive fanboys generally agree that the Rift hardware is more complete as a commercial product.

That's great news. I'm sure people would have hacked together support regardless, but it's nice to see it'll be official. I wonder what kind of titles they're expecting to run if they think they can get 2x 1440 pixels square at 60 FPS out of integrated graphics.

w00tazn posted:

Also the HMD needs line of sight to the controllers for them to be tracked properly. The controllers don't actually track the environment. Early reports indicate that it's decent at approximating where your hands are without LOS tho.
This is my biggest problem with inside-out tracking. With the Vive or Rift configured for roomscale you can hold your hand behind your back. You can hip fire a gun. You can fling things between your legs. All tracked as accurately as any other movement you make. There are so many movements and gestures which will often or always be out of view of cameras mounted on a reasonable headset. Sure you could make the headset in to a sombrero and ring the brim with cameras, but that's not going to make it to a consumer device. You either have to put cameras and tracking smarts in every input device (expensive) or do like these seem to be doing and treating the controller as a Wiimote while hoping it works out.

It appears from the video that these are basically using Oculus style tracking but with the headset as the reference point.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

I think at this point the conclusion is pretty much universal that Touch > Vive wands, that's why the "knuckles" controllers are such a large change. Even the biggest Vive fanboys generally agree that the Rift hardware is more complete as a commercial product.

It's not universal at all that Touch > Vive wands. They both have their benefits and the slightly superior tracking of Vive wands is nice.

wolrah posted:

That's great news. I'm sure people would have hacked together support regardless, but it's nice to see it'll be official. I wonder what kind of titles they're expecting to run if they think they can get 2x 1440 pixels square at 60 FPS out of integrated graphics.

GearVR or lower quality. The GS8 has roughly the graphics capability of a Nintendo Switch. But they are also hoping for good graphics cards.

wolrah posted:

This is my biggest problem with inside-out tracking. With the Vive or Rift configured for roomscale you can hold your hand behind your back. You can hip fire a gun. You can fling things between your legs. All tracked as accurately as any other movement you make. There are so many movements and gestures which will often or always be out of view of cameras mounted on a reasonable headset. Sure you could make the headset in to a sombrero and ring the brim with cameras, but that's not going to make it to a consumer device. You either have to put cameras and tracking smarts in every input device (expensive) or do like these seem to be doing and treating the controller as a Wiimote while hoping it works out.

It appears from the video that these are basically using Oculus style tracking but with the headset as the reference point.

I'm not so sure this will be much of a problem. You'll still have gyro tracking, I'm not sure there really is that much I do out of line of sight that is really important. You could play Pavlov, Soundboxing, Audioshield, the Lab, Space Pirate Trainer (with some work to get the shield working), Arizona Sunshine, and all of the Social VR I can think of without issue. Tracking unseen is useful as a capability but I'm not sure how much we really rely on it. Assuming the FOV of the tracking cameras is at least a bit larger than the FOV of the screen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Stick100 posted:

It's not universal at all that Touch > Vive wands. They both have their benefits and the slightly superior tracking of Vive wands is nice.

You're one of the only people I've seen say this. I'm a Vive user, and the Touch is just vastly superior after having tried it. Tracking is entirely separate to the quality of the controllers. Knuckles will hopefully blow both out of the water, and I'm very excited to see it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Touch is ergonomic and all but Vive wands felt better for shootings. Also capacitive 'finger tracking' (binary and for three digits) is ok but hardly game changing.

loving leap motion fix ur poo poo

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I picked up a Vive this past weekend, both for work (we do animation and VFX primarily, but we've done a few VR games and are pushing hard into that area) and as something to help me unwind. Considering I'm usually working 7 days a week, up to 16 hours a day, I needed something that could pull me in and offer me new experiences, even if I only have 30 minutes every couple of days to do it.

Man was this a good call! I tried VR for the first time back in January and was thoroughly blown away, and owning a setup myself is even better. Picked up a pretty decent set of games and software: Arizona Sunshine, Superhot, Pavlov, Tilt Brush, and Chroma Lab, and also got a bunch of the free stuff: RecRoom, The Lab, VR Funhouse, Bigscreen, Red Stare, and a few others.

My machine is decent since I use it for work, so no real issues there. It's an i7-6800k, 64GB RAM, a GTX 1070 (8GB) + Radeon Pro Duo Polaris (32GB), and some SSDs and mechanical drives.
Wasn't sure the 1070 would do okay since I'm also running dual 1080p monitors, but it gives better performance than the Pro Duo... which might be because I can't enable crossfire since it's an engineering sample and is sort of buggy re: drivers.

Right now, I'm looking for both accessories that could make the experience better, and fun games.

I've heard the headphones with the better strap are worth it - does that make a big difference? I was pleasantly surprised by the included headphones; they're not amazing, but they fit okay and sound fine. The strap shifts a bit much as-is, even with it at a good tightness I'm finding myself needing to adjust it a hair every minute or two.

What about the different eye pads? I see all these different sizes, and I have no idea (besides FoV) what benefits/drawbacks they have.

Gaming-wise, I'm not big on flight/space sims, but I'm open to pretty much anything else. Since about 6 of my coworkers have VR headsets, I've got a solid group of people to play with, and they're all pretty much down to buy games that sound fun.
We had a blast with Pavlov and RecRoom, so I think things that allow for hilarious missteps are even better.

And this is probably more tangential to the thread's interest, but anyone play with Unreal VR Editor, the Blender VR addon, or any other VR creation tools? This is a big one for me, since I'd love to leverage the VR experience to help out my workflow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Gasmask posted:

Gaming-wise, I'm not big on flight/space sims, but I'm open to pretty much anything else. Since about 6 of my coworkers have VR headsets, I've got a solid group of people to play with, and they're all pretty much down to buy games that sound fun.

Buy Bridge Crew. It's set on a spaceship but it's not really space sim in the way that something like Elite is.

quote:

We had a blast with Pavlov and RecRoom, so I think things that allow for hilarious missteps are even better.

Buy Bridge Crew immediately.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Waiting for bridge crew to go on sale. I'm not paying $40 for a game that people raved about for 2 days on this thread then never mentioned again for weeks. There are what, half a dozen missions to the whole game?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ironwolf allows for more freedom and missteps, it's a submarine game where everyone mans different stations in the submarine. Onward and Breach It are particularly great. But if you want to gently caress up with a group? Climbey.

Bhodi posted:

Waiting for bridge crew to go on sale. I'm not paying $40 for a game that people raved about for 2 days on this thread then never mentioned again for weeks. There are what, half a dozen missions to the whole game?

It has 6 campaign missions and the rest are randomly generated. The random missions are pretty drat good too, with a good amount of flexibility in the engine. TOS era Enterprise is a lot of fun to play with too!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Alien: Isolation was an incredibly atmospheric experience in 2D. I know that the 3D mod will make it ridiculous but I'm just too scared. :(

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I have to turn that one off if Im about to get got. Too tense

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Stick100 posted:

I did say pretty much universal, that does leave room for exceptions, but of the dozen or so people I know IRL who have used both everyone agrees that Touch controllers feel better in the hands. Almost everyone who I've seen post on the subject here has had the same opinion, including people like Knifegrab who definitely aren't Oculus fans.

I agree that the Vive wands are slightly better in the specific case of shooter-style games, but IMO the Oculus Touch controllers feel better for pretty much everything else.

My housemate has Oculus and I have Vive so I have both sets of controllers on my desk as I type this. The Vive hardware in general feels like a moderately polished late beta, where the Rift hardware feels like an Apple product. I hope the knuckles devices close the gap, that plus the deluxe audio strap should pretty much make up the difference.

Absolutely no disagreement that the Vive tracking system is the superior option. I think inside-out has a chance to get close enough that it makes no difference to equalling two-camera front facing Rift play, but once you go roomscale and especially if you ever want to add more tracked objects the Lighthouse system is the way to go.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Tom Guycot posted:

For those with a Vive who were waiting, MotherVR the Alien Isolation mod just got vive support in the latest version.
Oh fuuuuck

Tom Guycot posted:

the developer seems optimistic that he can get touch support, roomscale, and onward style movement working, which is nuts and worth waiting to see.
oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckk

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Also capacitive 'finger tracking' (binary and for three digits) is ok but hardly game changing.

Na man it's about being in VR without having to be constantly holding on to something

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Onward and Breach It are particularly great.

Woah woah woah people play Breach It? Steamdb stats say 2 in the last 24 hrs and 24 all-time. What's the largest group you've seen and when?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People just need to accept that Vive wands suck poo poo and the knuckles controllers are the way forward for lighthouse based controllers.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

For those with a Vive who were waiting, MotherVR the Alien Isolation mod just got vive support in the latest version. Seems like theres a few bugs, but otherwise works. I'm still holding off because crazily, the developer seems optimistic that he can get touch support, roomscale, and onward style movement working, which is nuts and worth waiting to see.

I'll certainly be watching for this to get the modern VR additions. I beat this in 2d and played about half way through on my DK2 using the original VR setting. Still one of my favorites, though the original VR support was very lacking and required you to know the various button combos for unlocking doors n such.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

mellowjournalism posted:

Woah woah woah people play Breach It? Steamdb stats say 2 in the last 24 hrs and 24 all-time. What's the largest group you've seen and when?

I've played it occasionally with friends. 4 in the game.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bhodi posted:

Yeah.

I paid 50. Did the one tutorial, tried to play online, was greeted with a wait longer than 5 min, I then refunded it.

I bought my rift for Star Trek, it just didn't stick as a 50$ game to me. Not enough people playing when I did try it out.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Mike the TV posted:

Alien: Isolation was an incredibly atmospheric experience in 2D. I know that the 3D mod will make it ridiculous but I'm just too scared. :(

Would you consider it an immersive game even when played on a monitor? I can't wait to try it in VR, even if it's just standing or even sitting with a controller.

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah.

I paid 50. Did the one tutorial, tried to play online, was greeted with a wait longer than 5 min, I then refunded it.

I bought my rift for Star Trek, it just didn't stick as a 50$ game to me. Not enough people playing when I did try it out.

I never have a problem finding players especially since Rifts and PSVRs can play with Vive. What time zone are you in?

iceaim fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 28, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Cojawfee posted:

People just need to accept that Vive wands suck poo poo and the knuckles controllers are the way forward for lighthouse based controllers.

There are people that don't feel this way?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There are situations where I want to hold things. These situations are when I'm trying to hold things.

Holding VR objects without actually holding anything will be quite strange

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

iceaim posted:

Would you consider it an immersive game even when played on a monitor? I can't wait to try it in VR, even if it's just standing or even sitting with a controller.

Yes, the graphical fidelity is incredible. The one exception is Ridley's tiny wrists that you have to see whenever you save, but the rest of the game is top notch. Just wandering the ships feels great, even in 2D.

You'll want to force you graphics card to supersample to get rid of a few jaggies, but the game is naturally easy on gpus so it's no big deal.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Mike the TV posted:

Yes, the graphical fidelity is incredible. The one exception is Ridley's tiny wrists that you have to see whenever you save, but the rest of the game is top notch. Just wandering the ships feels great, even in 2D.

You'll want to force you graphics card to supersample to get rid of a few jaggies, but the game is naturally easy on gpus so it's no big deal.

Awesome. I can't wait to try this on my Vive. I super sample by default now since SteamVR now lets you change super sampling settings without having to restart SteamVR.

I am loving the official VR games coming out as well as the amazing unofficial stuff like VorpX, Doom 3 BFG mod, Vivecraft, the MotherVR Aliens Isolation mod, Half Life 2 mod, etc.

Great times, and it looks like VR is only going to get better.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Touch is better than the Vive wands sure but if we're going to say the wands 'suck poo poo' then I have some choice words about Oculus' chosen tracking solution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

KakerMix posted:

Touch is better than the Vive wands sure but if we're going to say the wands 'suck poo poo' then I have some choice words about Oculus' chosen tracking solution.

It's mediocre, but I'd say the badness of vive wands is worse than the badness of the rift tracking solution.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Vive wands are much better gun stand ins, but that's a pretty specific thing

Edit: and because it's valve knuckles will never come out

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cojawfee posted:

It's mediocre, but I'd say the badness of Oculus' USB tracking cameras are worse than the blandness of the Vive tracking wands.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My cameras work fine :shrug:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Anyone other Rift users have trouble with Steam VR losing track of where the floor is repeatedly? Oculus stuff tracks fine and knows where my head is, but Steam sometimes thinks I'm like 6 inches tall. I have to go back through Steam VR setup to fix it which sucks when you're doing it for the ninth time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't. I did have my rift safety walls (guardian, right?) shift between sessions despite SteamVR walls staying in the same spot.

I can't get my height to be correct in either, but that's a constant, not sudden, phenomena. I'm always a couple inches too tall to touch the ground.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

My cameras work fine :shrug:

And the Vive wands work fine too, that's my point. Neither of them suck poo poo. Besides Oculus' refund policy.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

wyoak posted:

Anyone other Rift users have trouble with Steam VR losing track of where the floor is repeatedly? Oculus stuff tracks fine and knows where my head is, but Steam sometimes thinks I'm like 6 inches tall. I have to go back through Steam VR setup to fix it which sucks when you're doing it for the ninth time.

https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings

This has a bunch of stuff in it but I mostly use it for the floor fix and the HMD rotation tracker (for avoiding excessive cord twist).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BMan posted:

https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings

This has a bunch of stuff in it but I mostly use it for the floor fix and the HMD rotation tracker (for avoiding excessive cord twist).

To add to this as a Vive user I have to reset my floor height about every second time I go to use VR. I haven't a clue why or what causes it but it is always just enough to make it so I can't pick up the hand controllers because they are in the ground.
It's got to be a SteamVR thing.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

There are situations where I want to hold things. These situations are when I'm trying to hold things.

Holding VR objects without actually holding anything will be quite strange

:raise:

You do hold the knuckles when you hold things in-game? It's the being able to let all your fingers hang freely when you're not. Can't wait.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mellowjournalism posted:

:raise:

You do hold the knuckles when you hold things in-game? It's the being able to let all your fingers hang freely when you're not. Can't wait.

Herp derp, somehow I conflated talk about not having to hold things in VR with a Tested video I coincidentally watched just before about VR gloves. My comment only makes sense in context of VR gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KakerMix posted:

To add to this as a Vive user I have to reset my floor height about every second time I go to use VR. I haven't a clue why or what causes it but it is always just enough to make it so I can't pick up the hand controllers because they are in the ground.
It's got to be a SteamVR thing.

I've never once had this issue, but I almost always lay out my headset and wands on the floor and start SteamVR with them like that while I clear my area. I'm not sure if that actually does anything but it certainly might be.