Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BobbyK posted:

So you're saying making someone wait an hour past the scheduled time of an interview reflects poorly on that company? Wow never thought of it like that before.

Look this story is obviously fake but if the same fairly common circumstance happened to me I would do the exact same thing, futhteromore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

EmmyOk posted:

Look this story is obviously fake but if the same fairly common circumstance happened to me I would do the exact same thing, futhteromore

I mean I agree that somebody interviewing for a job isn't necessarily in a position to be walking out, but I have never heard of this stupid thing actually happening, but maybe they don't do this sort of thing in healthcare. Are dumbass pop-psych questions that have nothing to do with the job or the applicant's skills or experience really a thing in other industries?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Getting asked an unanswerable or weird question to see how you react isn't that strange, perhaps they wanted to see what someone would do when asked a silly question. Or maybe they thought a dumb question like that would be a nice opener to relax someone. I'm not arguing this happened because I hate that poo poo but it's within the realm of plausibility sans bon mot and mainly I just thought it was funny you called it out but then said you'd do the same thing

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I've had to take Myers-Briggs tests during interviews for I.T. jobs a couple times. At one of them the HR person said being int-p counts against me because they have too many int-x people already.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Myers-Briggs is horoscopes for your more advanced moron

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It'd save everyone time if they did those "on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely are you to murder your boss?" questionaires instead. At least those just filter out the people too stupid to lie.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Haifisch posted:

It'd save everyone time if they did those "on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely are you to murder your boss?" questionaires instead. At least those just filter out the people too stupid to lie.

Or those ballsy enough to tell the truth :q:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Haifisch posted:

I was applying to work in a banks tech division a while ago and I had to fill out a form of 100 questions with three options and you had to choose an answer you most agree with and least agree with and about half the questions were like

"which of these describes you?"

1) I love embezzling and doing crimes
2) I love breaking the rules if it means doing something easily
3) Punctual

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I can one-up the MBTI and possibly sound like I'm posting STDH: I applied at a small tech firm last year and had to take a combined intelligence and personality test. Nothing unusual, although a lot of the questions used really odd syntax. Anyways, I looked at the bottom of the last page, and I noticed in the fine print at the bottom, Copyright Hubbard Management System, or something very similar. Yes, that Hubbard.

I actually wound up taking a job for a few months with that firm, and it wasn't especially terrible or weird, although they did make all new hires read a management principles book by Mr. Hubbard, and they were really really insistent that you end all requests with the phrase "This is OK." Apparently the latter is pretty much universal among Scientology-linked companies.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I actually wound up taking a job for a few months with that firm, and it wasn't especially terrible or weird, although they did make all new hires read a management principles book by Mr. Hubbard, and they were really really insistent that you end all requests with the phrase "This is OK." Apparently the latter is pretty much universal among Scientology-linked companies.
As in "hey Chris, can you grab some more red pens from the copy room? This is OK."? Is "this" just referring to the current state of existence? But it's not okay, because I need more red pens.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Gonna put this roofie in your drink and then we're back to my place, this is ok

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Hi I'm just calling from the lab; we've achieved absolute zero. This is 0K."

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

oh god

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jerry Cotton posted:

HARITSOPPA!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The building is on fire, please proceed to the nearest exit in an orderly fashion. This is OK.

Scientologists are weird.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jak är bök.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
To go into a bit more detail about the "This is OK" thing, Scientology and related organizations have a standardized form for any request that's going up the ladder called a Completed Staff Work, or CSW. If you were just asking to borrow a pen or something, you wouldn't bother writing out a whole CSW, but if you were requesting an $1200 monitoring board from manufacturing, you had to do one and follow the format for it religiously (heh). This post by a (former?) Scientologist goes into a bit more detail about them. And yes, on at least one occasion a fairly urgent business travel request got held up for a couple of days because I forgot to put a "This is OK" at the end of an otherwise properly-formatted email. Oops!

If I remember the Hubbard Management Principles book correctly (I paid so much attention that I can't remember the actual title of it), the deal with the magic words is that they are meant to show that you've verified the content of the message and take full responsibility for its contents: basically, you're vouching that your analysis and proposed solution is, well, OK. Really, the name Completed Staff Work bugged me more than the OK thing. You're asking someone else to do something, obviously the work isn't completed yet!

Also, to be fair to my former employers, I'm probably making the company sound like a front for Sea Org or something. It was a pretty normal workplace, if not a bit surreal with all of the Hubbard and Dianetics principles, and they had products that did things and sales to real companies and such. Honestly I have no idea if they were owned by the CoS, were tied to it in some other way, or if they were just owned by a particularly observant member of the Church.

Solo Wing Pixy has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Aug 28, 2017

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

To be fair it could totally still have been a front for Sea Org.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:whitewater:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eric Xoxo is a stupid name.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Thats some drat fine penmanship. Mhm.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Yaaasss mommy you slay gurl

-Eric Xoxo

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
boy writes like girl

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would snark about how perfect the handwriting is for a 7-year-old but that'll just trigger a bunch of goons to talk about how their handwriting looked like that by 5.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, this one hurts.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I could hear the italics in my sensei's voice. Sensei means teacher. Then he offered me a bro-hoof (fist bump (where you bump fists with someone you respect)). It was good of me to wear white and my fillyfriend to wear black. We are balanced you see, like friendship.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Aside from the incredibly obnoxious "does it not?" line, the thing that always bugs me about that one is the "those names don't exist". We live in a world where multiple people are naming their kids things like hashtag and maclaykin, there are no name rules.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Aside from the incredibly obnoxious "does it not?" line, the thing that always bugs me about that one is the "those names don't exist". We live in a world where multiple people are naming their kids things like hashtag and maclaykin, there are no name rules.

There are in some countries, like you wouldn't be allowed to do that here in Austria. There's a list of allowed names, and if you want one not on there, you have to bring a certified statement that it's a known and used name in a different country. I found a post from 2007 where someone wanted to name their daughter Philippa and had to jump through hoops. Dunno about Sweden, but wouldn't be surprised.

Not that *this* garbage story happened.

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Aug 28, 2017

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

gschmidl posted:

. Dunno about Sweden, but wouldn't be surprised.

We are all named Bort.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

We are all named Bort.

Hence the famous triplets, bort bort bort.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

axolotl farmer posted:

We are all named Bort.

My son is also Bort Bortsen.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"My son is called bort!"

"I have a bort, too!"

"I'm in the wrong facebook group sorry"

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

On the other hand he also spent his later years stealing smoke detectors in an attempt to build another bloody tool shed nuclear reactor.

on topic:

Oh, look, an update.

'"Where he was confronted with the all the information listed above. Mr. Witt subsequently admitted to accidentally cutting himself with the knife while parked in his car in front of the sporting goods store and admitted making up the story about being attacked," Sheridan police said in their statement.'

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Man, that's a nice update.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I love it when a STDH comes together.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

Oh, look, an update.

'"Where he was confronted with the all the information listed above. Mr. Witt subsequently admitted to accidentally cutting himself with the knife while parked in his car in front of the sporting goods store and admitted making up the story about being attacked," Sheridan police said in their statement.'

Never have I been smugger about calling a stdh.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

There are in some countries, like you wouldn't be allowed to do that here in Austria. There's a list of allowed names, and if you want one not on there, you have to bring a certified statement that it's a known and used name in a different country. I found a post from 2007 where someone wanted to name their daughter Philippa and had to jump through hoops. Dunno about Sweden, but wouldn't be surprised.

Not that *this* garbage story happened.

Wait, there's a literal list of allowed names in Austria?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

I bet Adolf isn't among those allowed names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Zipperelli. posted:

If it's anything like in Germany, “allowed names“ is something of a mistranslation - as gschmidl said, it's mainly a list of “pre-approved“ names, i.e. whoever's signing off baby names that day will just do so. They probably don't even have a real list, but I could be mistaken. If it's anything else you have to prove that it's a proper first name in another culture you ideally have some connection with or that it can be counted as a “real“ name in some different way. No such luck with names that (per the law) “are likely to threaten the well-being of the child“ (like naming your child “rear end in a top hat“), give a male name to a female child or vice versa (gender neutral ones are ok tho), offend others (so no insults, but also no religious names like “Christus“ or “Lucifer“ - as long as it's not a proper first name elsewhere, that is), are actually place or brand names or incorporate titles of nobility.

So in Germany naming your son “Adolf“ probably wouldn't be ok per the mustn't-be-harmful-to-the-child rule, as long as you can't prove that for some reason (like the child's father, grandfather and great-grandfather all being named Adolf) it would be proper. Also no names like “Microsoft“ or “Princess“

Generally speaking the courts are pretty tolerant of weird names, so if the officials refuse you, you can always try and sue. This is why it's now perfectly legal in Germany to name your daughter “Galaxina“ or your son “Max Amos Soma Xam“. “Hemingway“ or “Moon Unit“ are still out, though.