Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What do you guys cut usually for tournaments? I'm thinking about doing my first and I'm looking at about an 8 lb cut which doesn't sound bad but I've never done one before. Did any of you do a trial cut before a first comp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

What do you guys cut usually for tournaments? I'm thinking about doing my first and I'm looking at about an 8 lb cut which doesn't sound bad but I've never done one before. Did any of you do a trial cut before a first comp?

gently caress cutting for low level tournaments. Going in feeling good will be better than the weight advantage. I've cut up to 10% body weight and and it just makes it all a chore

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also 8lbs is a lot or nothing depending on how much you weigh. If you're a supperweight, shouldn't be a problem. If you're a flyweight it'll be a lot more work.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Im over 6 ft and 178. I could drop at least 4 pounds real quickly by cleaning up my diet/upping my cardio a bit. I figured ~5 lbs of water weight wouldnt be bad.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Most people could lose that semi easily in a day. I cut 9lbs without much effort when I was about 180 (5'11). YMMV of course depending on how much water you hold, your current level of bodyfat and a billion other things. The reason low level guys in their basements end up with kidney failure is they copy what they see on TUF and do it without any supervision.

I basically skipped breakfast, wore a light sweater, boxed the heavy bag for an hr, did some grappling drills and I was down 6 lbs. Didn't feel any worse than if I had just done a Judo sesh in the summer.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah for low level comps I think dropping weight is only useful for increased confidence. I know that when I start looking cut I feel pretty badass, but only up to the point that it starts to affect my energy and endurance. If I start feeling wiped then I'm definitely into diminished-returns territory.

I've stretched it to try and put myself in the same category as a specific opponent but without coordinating that always seems to backfire when they do the opposite and bulk up to the bracket I started in.

It's worth trying just to see what you're capable of and how you tolerate it, just don't go camp out in the sauna wrapped up in garbage bags.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Seltzer posted:

For your first tournament, the thing that's going to make the biggest difference is probably adrenalin management. You'll probably be so nervous if you haven' competed in other stuff that you'll probably go blank a bit. I cut ten pounds on my first comp and all it did was make me tired, cranky and even that wasn't much compared to how stressed I was.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've been getting really good at passing knee shields in a variety of ways against various levels of opponents but when rolling with this one particular higher belt he kept getting a foot wedge in with his knee shield, a half butterfly if you will, and it kept causing me trouble. Trying to strip the foot wasn't enough. Any thoughts on dealing with that?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I've been getting really good at passing knee shields in a variety of ways against various levels of opponents but when rolling with this one particular higher belt he kept getting a foot wedge in with his knee shield, a half butterfly if you will, and it kept causing me trouble. Trying to strip the foot wasn't enough. Any thoughts on dealing with that?

What happens when you try to pass like a half butterfly (like this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYvnU1DU1Vg

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Cutting sucks. How far out is the competition? Probably best to just clean up your diet and only cut like 1-2lbs of water before then rehydrate.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Demi Lovato got her blue.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Demi Lovato got her blue.

You mean Luke Rockhold's ex?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

You mean Luke Rockhold's ex?

She left him for Guilherme Vasconcelos. Who she apparently dumped. I'm gonna have to shoot my shot.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Make sure you get a good penetrating step. Best way to ensure success on that double.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The joe L post on ultra hydrating then cutting back is good for a pretty easy cut of some water weight.

I was early 20s 155 and dropped 3 - 5 pounds on a small frame doing that way with almost zero effort and no day of comp problems. I could probably have gone a little lower but I just wanted to get down to the 149 weight.

For reference before I heard about that method, I cut 8 pounds with trash bags and sweating all week, which was not good.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Xguard86 posted:

The joe L post on ultra hydrating then cutting back is good for a pretty easy cut of some water weight.

I was early 20s 155 and dropped 3 - 5 pounds on a small frame doing that way with almost zero effort and no day of comp problems. I could probably have gone a little lower but I just wanted to get down to the 149 weight.

For reference before I heard about that method, I cut 8 pounds with trash bags and sweating all week, which was not good.

That's where you drink a bunch of water then stop three days out and piss a ton afterwards right? Where's that post? It seems like a slightly advanced technique.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thats basically the dolce method. Get your body peeing constantly and then suddenly stop drinking but keep peeing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-79935.html

This isn't Joe's guide and it talks about a ton more stuff but it's from him. Someone find the real one, I think it might even be a Reddit post.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No-submission training update

It has been about a week now. The biggest obstacle I've encountered in the process is really new dudes who have really bad habits. I had one guy mounted on Monday, and the guy tried to cross-collar choke me rather than work for the escape, continuing even when I switched it to S-mount and isolated his arm to make it really obvious than an arm bar was coming. I ended up letting him tip me over and pull his arm out so I could work on recovering guard, but it was super obvious that I intentionally let it go, and I felt like a dork. Similar things were happening today - one guy (second class) tried to guillotine me while I had him in side control. Instead of Von Fluing or arm triangling him, I said "You know that I'm usually able to defend guillotines against people who have closed full guard - maybe put your energy somewhere else." Again, it felt like a dick move, but we continued the positional roll from there. After the round I explained how vulnerable that made him. :shrug: I can't decide if this degree of refraining from the submission is useful for my training partners or not. There absolutely will be other people to punish them for these mistakes, I know, but ....

A secondary problem is when I'm grappling with my white whales (i.e. senior belts who I get really competitive against) I need to resist the urge to snap at submissions in scrambles, but I usually don't land those anyway so ignoring them is probably not the worst idea.

Other than that, my back takes and back control are getting sharper already, or at least I'm ending up there sooner. From positions where previously I would have started working for D'arces, Anacondas, or guillotines, I'm now working to the back and I'm usually able to stay there for the rest of the round, once I'm there.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I've spent the last six months or so trying to piece together one of those kimura games where you snatch the grip from anywhere and then flip and spin around like an idiot tornado until I find a finish somewhere. It's a lot of fun. I still have dozens of problems to solve but it's the best and most complete game I've ever had.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CommonShore posted:

It has been about a week now. The biggest obstacle I've encountered in the process is really new dudes who have really bad habits. I had one guy mounted on Monday, and the guy tried to cross-collar choke me rather than work for the escape, continuing even when I switched it to S-mount and isolated his arm to make it really obvious than an arm bar was coming. I ended up letting him tip me over and pull his arm out so I could work on recovering guard, but it was super obvious that I intentionally let it go, and I felt like a dork. Similar things were happening today - one guy (second class) tried to guillotine me while I had him in side control. Instead of Von Fluing or arm triangling him, I said "You know that I'm usually able to defend guillotines against people who have closed full guard - maybe put your energy somewhere else." Again, it felt like a dick move, but we continued the positional roll from there. After the round I explained how vulnerable that made him. :shrug: I can't decide if this degree of refraining from the submission is useful for my training partners or not. There absolutely will be other people to punish them for these mistakes, I know, but ....

I think it's helpful. Some of my better rolls were with higher belts who just let me work. There's plenty of people who will tap them over and over again but I find it helpful if someone explains to me what I'm doing wrong if I keep making the same mistake over and over again. Maybe a little nicer with how you say it though.

Did you tell them about the idea of position before submission? Might help them out in the long run.

Edit:

I got a chuckle out of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OfPQBBCi8Y

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

A secondary problem is when I'm grappling with my white whales (i.e. senior belts who I get really competitive against) I need to resist the urge to snap at submissions in scrambles, but I usually don't land those anyway so ignoring them is probably not the worst idea.

Other than that, my back takes and back control are getting sharper already, or at least I'm ending up there sooner. From positions where previously I would have started working for D'arces, Anacondas, or guillotines, I'm now working to the back and I'm usually able to stay there for the rest of the round, once I'm there.

I think it's worth it to punish them if they just straight up give you a submission because of a major mistake and then let them know how they hosed up. Everybody learns quicker from actual consequences. I mean how much rolling time do you really lose armbarring somebody trying a choke from under mount?

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 30, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

There's an incredibly technical upper belt I roll with who also instructs and he'll just put people into submission positions if they've done something wrong. He won't finish it or tell you the way to escape/what to do, he just lets you figure it out. I really like that approach. I think it helps many people learn to be more intuitive and problem solve. It's like learning language by living in an environment where your surrounded by it daily vs studying a textbook to make a really crappy analogy. Not going fully for the submission and stopping just before means your partner will likely find an escape and you can continue working on what you want to without having to take breaks and give tips. Stopping before setting up the submission could let them think they're doing ok/something good. Sometimes that upperbelt smashes me too, either way I think that approach is cool especially because he always tries to set up the move we drilled that day live and often will leave a gap for me to try it too.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 30, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mariooncrack posted:

I think it's helpful. Some of my better rolls were with higher belts who just let me work. There's plenty of people who will tap them over and over again but I find it helpful if someone explains to me what I'm doing wrong if I keep making the same mistake over and over again. Maybe a little nicer with how you say it though.

Did you tell them about the idea of position before submission? Might help them out in the long run.

Thankfully I'm reasonably good at tactfulness in correction.

Dave Grool posted:

I think it's worth it to punish them if they just straight up give you a submission because of a major mistake and then let them know how they hosed up. Everybody learns quicker from actual consequences. I mean how much rolling time do you really lose armbarring somebody trying a choke from under mount?

Well it's just this principle I'm playing with - I want to keep it at zero submissions for the rest of the year, just so I can focus on position

Seltzer posted:

There's an incredibly technical upper belt I role with who also instructs and he'll just put people into submission positions if they've done something wrong. He won't finish it or tell you the way to escape/what to do, he just lets you figure it out. I really like that approach. I think it helps many people learn to be more intuitive and problem solve. It's like learning language by living in an environment where your surrounded by it daily vs studying a textbook to make a really crappy analogy. Not going fully for the submission and stopping a position or so before means they'll likely find an escape and you can continue working on what you want to without having to take breaks and give tips. Stopping before the submission could let them think they're doing ok/something good. Sometimes that upperbelt smashes me too, either way I think that approach is cool especially when he always tries to set up the move we drilled that day live and often will leave a gap for me to try it too.

Hm I like this idea. That's what I might do. This will also maybe give me a bit more activity from those back positions once I get them.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 25, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok here's the next question. Which of the following things are ok/valid technical components in a friendly roll, and which are only going to be ok for competition or hard/aggressive rolls? Another way to put it is which of the following would make you go "poo poo, that person is a dick."

I typically avoid many of these things, even against bigger folks or people who go hard, but I'm trying to decide if I'm getting smashed because I'm trying to be way cleaner than necessary:

- Cross face forearm frame
- Cross face forearm grind
- Deltoid pressure to turn someone's head in side/top half
- Pointy elbow frame
- Pointy elbow grind
- Head frame under chin
- Head grind under chin
- Light knee across stomach/hips
- Heavy knee across stomach/hips (i.e. posturing up)
- Light knee on sternum
- Heavy knee on sternum
- Elbow lever on solar plexus
- Can opener

(by frame I mean "I put my elbow here and if you want to drop your weight into it, that's on you," as opposed to grind which is "I'm going to jam my elbow into you until you move.)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I don't really see any problem with most of that stuff, particularly stuff from bottom. If someone in side control wants to impale themselves on your elbow while they are squatting you under their weight then go ham.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

CommonShore posted:

- Pointy elbow grind
- Can opener

I think these are the only ones you shouldn't roll with but the rest is fine, as long as it's controlled I don't mind the stuff that hurts a little, it also teaches the guy you're going against that he really should move and weave through the stuff that's making the roll uncomfortable for him.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Most of that seems fine but I would say match your partner's aggression and skill. If they're more aggressive with you, it's okay to be more aggressive with them. If they're newer or just exhausted, you can go easier on them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm a huuuuuuge oval office when I roll with bigger guys. Chins in eyeballs and shinlocks all day.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Ok here's the next question. Which of the following things are ok/valid technical components in a friendly roll, and which are only going to be ok for competition or hard/aggressive rolls? Another way to put it is which of the following would make you go "poo poo, that person is a dick."

I typically avoid many of these things, even against bigger folks or people who go hard, but I'm trying to decide if I'm getting smashed because I'm trying to be way cleaner than necessary:

- Pointy elbow frame
- Pointy elbow grind
- Head frame under chin
- Head grind under chin
- Light knee on sternum
- Heavy knee on sternum
- Can opener

(by frame I mean "I put my elbow here and if you want to drop your weight into it, that's on you," as opposed to grind which is "I'm going to jam my elbow into you until you move.)

I try not to do many of these things, particularly when traveling to other gyms since my home gym is kind of rough and tumble, but don't feel like they should be issues with opponents of equal skill and arguably size. also I've never seen anyone actually attempt a can opener since it's a free armbar for the opponent.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Sudden can openers can injure necks so i would be careful with that one.

Anything with pressure is pretty fair game.

grinding like on someone's face or jabbing elbows into soft bits just to hurt them... Idk that doesn't produce much with experienced people and so is more dickish than doing something to advance position.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seems like a pretty solid consensus that most of this stuff is just part of the sport, at least when dealing with bigger dudes. This may be why I've been getting trapped in positions like bottom half lately - time to start cross facing people a bit more, I guess! I'm going to start with pressure rather than nasty grinds, though.

(btw if you slam a heavy knee on sternum against someone who is 75 lb lighter, you're a dick. Yes, I'm talking to you, guy who isn't allowed at my club any more because he hurt too many new people.)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Seems like a pretty solid consensus that most of this stuff is just part of the sport, at least when dealing with bigger dudes. This may be why I've been getting trapped in positions like bottom half lately - time to start cross facing people a bit more, I guess! I'm going to start with pressure rather than nasty grinds, though.

(btw if you slam a heavy knee on sternum against someone who is 75 lb lighter, you're a dick. Yes, I'm talking to you, guy who isn't allowed at my club any more because he hurt too many new people.)

Be careful one thing II've learned in my later BJJ career is getting stuck or failing to maintain positions is usually your posture and angle versus inadequate pressure.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Be careful one thing II've learned in my later BJJ career is getting stuck or failing to maintain positions is usually your posture and angle versus inadequate pressure.

Yeah I getcha. I'm thinking that my desire to avoid being a dick has led me to using too little pressure overall. I'll make sure to keep an eye on these factors.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm a huuuuuuge oval office when I roll with bigger guys. Chins in eyeballs and shinlocks all day.

Why do you hate your friends?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

like obviously scale it back and don't crush whites or new blues or people that weigh 300 pounds less than your goon bod, but we're scrapping here my man and scrapping's rough

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

- Pointy elbow frame
- Pointy elbow grind
- Head frame under chin
- Head grind under chin
- Light knee on sternum
- Heavy knee on sternum
- Can opener

Framing is great! Grinding is bad. Can openers are a dick move (mostly to white belts, because you can hurt people who don't know they can escape by opening their guard, or the consequences if they don't)

Knee on belly is a legit position. Weighted or not.

I've never seen the elbow lever on solar plexus bit. Sounds interesting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

Framing is great! Grinding is bad. Can openers are a dick move (mostly to white belts, because you can hurt people who don't know they can escape by opening their guard, or the consequences if they don't)

Knee on belly is a legit position. Weighted or not.

I've never seen the elbow lever on solar plexus bit. Sounds interesting.

The elbow lever is a neat one. Start in side control. Using your hip-side hand, reach cross body and sloth grip the tricep. At that point, you can pull the tricep in and grind the elbow down into the solar plexus. It makes people kinda crunch up a bit and opens up things because it pins the body down and allows you to posture up. The guy who showed it to me would use it would cut over the head into a kneeling north-south and get a straight arm bar on the nearside arm under his armpit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

The elbow lever is a neat one. Start in side control. Using your hip-side hand, reach cross body and sloth grip the tricep. At that point, you can pull the tricep in and grind the elbow down into the solar plexus. It makes people kinda crunch up a bit and opens up things because it pins the body down and allows you to posture up. The guy who showed it to me would use it would cut over the head into a kneeling north-south and get a straight arm bar on the nearside arm under his armpit.

I'm reversing you as soon as you remove your hand from my hip. And if you drive your elbow into my solar plexus you are a dick and the amount of shoulder pressure you receive from me will be nearly unbearable.