Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That shape is entirely possible if she had migrating silicone butt implants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

That shape is entirely possible if she had migrating silicone butt implants.

I'm imagining she got whoopie cushion implants and I'm dying

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
So B&HQ had some good moments. The barfight they didn't bother animating after like ten minutes of pop song covers and Harley wiggling her rear end had West-style onomotopoeia with an "OW, MY BALLS!", and there's a call from the Watchtower with Booster that's hilarious. Swamp Thing also makes the best cameo at the end.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just finished the first two eps of Marvel's Spider-man. They're really pushing the "SCIENCE!" angle but I think the show has heart and is a good deal better than Ultimate Spider-man. It's no Spectacular but it's watchable and fun, and what changes are made to the core of the Spidey story don't really feel anti-thetical to the concept. I'm looking forward to what they do with Miles, Anya, and Gwen - having a "spider team" around may be questionable to some, but at least they seem to be developing them as characters first before throwing them out as superheroes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, the SCIENCE stuff's a bit loud in the first ep, but it feels toned down by the second episode, and fair since the status quo for Peter is kinda out there so there's quite a bit of setup needed.

I'm digging how it's going, but i'm mostly excited for when things 'settle down' a bit and Peter ends up having real problems come from doing Spider-man work. I do like how immediately it's throwing a wrench into his relationship with Harry, tho. And I seriously like how we seem to have a tight group of villains working together and yet they all have their own agendas (assuming that Smythe's masterplan comment means that the Doc Ock we see is masterplanning poo poo to take down Horizon from within, Smythe is working mainly on petty vengeance, Norman is in it for the profit of having his school replace Horizon and Harry just ends up on his path of evil due to being caught up in all of it)

I'm curious to see where the Horizon gang lead Peter in terms of intellect. It's so often that cartoons play up how he's the smartest man in the room, but having that challenged already lead to an interesting bit in the second episode, so it'll be cool to see how this Peter rises up to others being smarter than him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That sneak peek of Gotham by Gaslight. I'm still sorta intrigued, but I think I'll still wait for reviews.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

catlord posted:

That sneak peek of Gotham by Gaslight. I'm still sorta intrigued, but I think I'll still wait for reviews.

Blah they are using the house style

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Looks terrible, sadly.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I watched Batman and Harley. It was not enjoyable, and that is coming from someone that has actually likes DC's animated offerings as of late.

Seemed a bit over-the-top "adult" to a point where the characters were not acting like themselves. Also poo humor. And everything else. Bleh.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Blah they are using the house style
Be reasonable. It's not like Mike Mignola designs work well in animation.

Oh wait.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I like how a significant portion of the preview talks about how amazing and stylish the art in the comic was, all while still using the standard house style junk for the animation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The third episode of Spider-Man was a lot of fun. This series is shaping up well and I really like the direction it’s going. I like how they’re setting up the relationship between Peter and Harry. If you’re a nut for the status quo of Spidey it’ll probably annoy you how much different it is than any of the comics or movies and how they’ve integrated so many side characters in Peter’s school life but I’m digging the differences.

It reminds me a lot of the feeling I had reading Marvel Age/Adventures Spider-Man comics in that they’re really trying to do something different with the supporting cast and it’s working for me. Also the continued heavy focus on science is something I hope continues. I assume it will as it seems to be the backbone of the show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kurui Reiten posted:

I like how a significant portion of the preview talks about how amazing and stylish the art in the comic was, all while still using the standard house style junk for the animation.

Am I stuck in a timeloop? That was half of the problem with The Killing Joke.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

catlord posted:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Holy poo poo that is exactly what I thought when I saw it too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Schway

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

okay on one hand Marvel's Spider-man tries to avoid the creepy history of Jackal and Gwen Stacy by making them uncle and niece.

on the other hand that feels like it just makes it even weirder

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TFRazorsaw posted:

okay on one hand Marvel's Spider-man tries to avoid the creepy history of Jackal and Gwen Stacy by making them uncle and niece.

Less weird if he wants to bring her back because he loves her. More weird if he's in love with her.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's like when Sailor Moon made the two women in a relationship cousins.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Only of it goes full GoT

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Am I stuck in a timeloop? That was half of the problem with The Killing Joke.
I mean... let's be clear, it was like 1/4 the problem with The Killing Joke tops.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean... let's be clear, it was like 1/4 the problem with The Killing Joke tops.

Yeah that film had all kinds of problems and I feel like the animation was among the least of them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Batman and Harley Quinn is completely loving out there. It's downright Lynchian. There's a musical number where Quinn takes Batman and Nightwing to a bar for henchman, and Min and Max sing "Don't Pull Your Love Out" in its entirely for no particular reason.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
A free trial of Amazon Prime including streaming? Don't mind if I do.

Taking advantage of that to watch Batman the Animated Series and Superman the Animated Series, since I've seen very little of Batman, and none of Superman. It's fascinating how different Batman feels to all the later shows in the DCAU, a little... slapdash, I guess, though not bad at all, but where Superman takes three episodes to establish the characters and everything, Batman just tosses us Man-Bat, and Robin just suddenly appears in a couple episodes of season 1 (by Amazon's listing) only to disappear again. It's real strange, I can see the elements that became the DCAU, but at the same time it doesn't feel at all like the later shows. I think part of it is the art style, since it's not the refined version they used for the later series, it stands out more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Batman went straight in because the cartoon was building on the (then recent) Burton movies.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think BTAS takes the cartoon chronology method of "Things happen in any random order unless they explicitly have to follow a previous storyline" to explain why Robin comes and goes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Actually the rest of the dcau is poorer for not sticking with the original animation style from BTAS, not the other way around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BTAS can be the most uneven DCAU show, it has some really terrible episodes and one of the animation studios they used was godawful, but I'll take its flaws over the overly-refined factory-processed feel of JLU any day of the week. And I'll never forgive the Superman cartoon for throwing the retro deco world in the dumpster.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm not 100 % sure but hadn't Batman already switched to the New Adventures art style by the time Superman came out? I know it was the all black, no yellow oval Batman that was in the World's Finest movie where they met the first time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

purple death ray posted:

I'm not 100 % sure but hadn't Batman already switched to the New Adventures art style by the time Superman came out?

No, Superman Adventures or whatever that show is called came out before New Adventures. Despite abandoning the concept of making Metropolis anachronistic and cool-looking, the early episodes of Superman still looked an awful lot like BTAS, but the show got that shinier, pointier look as it went on, which New Adventures matched, along with modernizing Gotham and ruining all the character designs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I still have no idea how anyone can look at the BTAS Catwoman, and the TNBA Catwoman and think the latter is anything but a massive misstep. Like, how did it even get past the design phase? "She's the sleek, sexy burglar who's the Robin Hood to Batman's Zorro, and her original design reflects that by heavily referencing the Batsuit in it's aesthetic... I know, let's make her a goth in a bad homemade onesie!"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lurdiak posted:

No, Superman Adventures or whatever that show is called came out before New Adventures. Despite abandoning the concept of making Metropolis anachronistic and cool-looking, the early episodes of Superman still looked an awful lot like BTAS, but the show got that shinier, pointier look as it went on, which New Adventures matched, along with modernizing Gotham and ruining all the character designs.

Making Metropolis a gleaming city of tomorrow is a good design choice that fits with Superman's character. Just like making Gotham a permanently dark Art Deco city fit with Batman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I still have no idea how anyone can look at the BTAS Catwoman, and the TNBA Catwoman and think the latter is anything but a massive misstep.

I'll go out on a craaazy limb and say it was related to Tim Burton/Batman Returns. I mean, I won't disagree that it (and many of the TNBA designs except for Scarecrow) looks bad, but changing the look of characters to fit their most popular incarnation is just what the Big Two do.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TwoPair posted:

I'll go out on a craaazy limb and say it was related to Tim Burton/Batman Returns. I mean, I won't disagree that it (and many of the TNBA designs except for Scarecrow) looks bad, but changing the look of characters to fit their most popular incarnation is just what the Big Two do.

It's definitely not, Returns is the whole reason BTAS Selina has blonde hair and BTAS Penguin has flipper hands. Both of them changed to be comic accurate when the art style changed. By that time the Burton movies were far enough away they could ignore them.

If I had to guess it was all about being easier to animate, with less detail and simpler outfits.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TNBA Scarecrow is the superior design.

You can tell because BTAS kept changing theirs all the time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't argue with that clearly Mignola inspired design.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

It's definitely not, Returns is the whole reason BTAS Selina has blonde hair and BTAS Penguin has flipper hands. Both of them changed to be comic accurate when the art style changed. By that time the Burton movies were far enough away they could ignore them.

If I had to guess it was all about being easier to animate, with less detail and simpler outfits.

Yeah but she looks relatively normal in BTAS whereas TNBA gives her that Michelle Pfeiffer ghost white skin.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

TNBA Scarecrow is the superior design.

You can tell because BTAS kept changing theirs all the time.

Oh yeah, huge improvement. I kind of liked them going straight Gorshin for Riddler, too, but afaik he only pops in as a cameo with a suddenly tiny Mad Hatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hup posted:

Oh yeah, huge improvement. I kind of liked them going straight Gorshin for Riddler, too, but afaik he only pops in as a cameo with a suddenly tiny Mad Hatter.

Gorshin was actually the originator of the dapper suit and hat Riddler, the comics didn't catch up for a while after that.