Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

maybe gamers will keep it in their pants and not buy this poo poo for once?

haha who am i kidding of course bethesda is going to make a killing off this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ShadowMar posted:

Eh, I dunno how many people are dying for pallette swapped pipboys or armor

Edit: they'll hit it big when they add a bondage outfit.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Eh, I dunno how many people are dying for pallette swapped pipboys or armor

people were still buying oblivion's horse armor back in 2011 almost daily.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean, other companies are already slipping this kind of stuff in. Paradox and Colossal Order have "Content Creator" asset packs built by modders and sold at a premium for Cities: Skylines. Though so far they've only produced two of those versus what is sure to be an unending flow of fresh game slurry for diehard crazies to buy up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Propaganda Hour posted:

three words:
bondage
horse
armor

you can mail me my check on the last day of every month

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I like mod makers getting money for mods as long as the cut they get is substantial.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dmboogie posted:

i wasn't really a fan of the first game's writing at all but the combat absolutely took up the majority of the game, and was also fantastic to make up for the eh story.

Yeah, the prose took a large part at the very opening, but as the game moved on it was mostly the excellent tactical combat.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

The White Dragon posted:

three words:
bondage
horse
armor

you can mail me my check on the last day of every month

in a bundle with the realistic horse vagina mod

no checks please, bitcoins only thxgodbless

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tendales posted:

Playable skeletons, GOTY

I saw that too, I hope it's a substantially different play experience when you pick the skeleton

I'll accept either the game making all of the NPCs hate and/or fear you or all of the dialogue getting modified to include additional skeleton/bone puns

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, other companies are already slipping this kind of stuff in. Paradox and Colossal Order have "Content Creator" asset packs built by modders and sold at a premium for Cities: Skylines. Though so far they've only produced two of those versus what is sure to be an unending flow of fresh game slurry for diehard crazies to buy up.

There's a difference I think.

Like if you told me Bethesda was going to only be reselling full mods like Enderal for $30, or Wrymstooth for $15, under the caveat Bethesda was going to be vetting them, making sure they worked/flowed flawlessly, and taking a look over them before selling them as DLC, I'd be 100% down. If they -became- Bethesda product level quality by going through this selling process, I could see it being a huge boon. At that point modders could make a name for themselves with their initial mods so Bethesda could trust them to auto vet their next mod, and potentially hire actual real VA or make full sized mods that are of DLC quality without having to worry about the costs/time costs.

This would also be a good way of getting major mods onto consoles. Sure you can't just add something like "Improved Crafting!" or "Pickpocketing for Dummies" onto the consoles, but you can make a "Modpack #1" for $15 that includes most of these mods and Humble Bundle style make the authors some good cash.

The issue is right now it's literally ARTHMOORS DRAGON DICK ARMOR? $2. which loving lol. I am not going to pay some dude nickle and dime IOS prices to make me some lovely rehash style mods I can still find on the Nexus for free.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rookersh posted:

If they -became- Bethesda product level quality by going through this selling process, I could see it being a huge boon.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The average mod has more QA testing than Bethesda's actual games, so there's that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yo, I was super sad about no Weeklong Deals last week, but they're back this week and there's almost twice as many as usual. Whole bunch of horror and adventures if you're in the mood, along with the usual smattering of anime and indie weirdness. You can check out my rundown here or I can save you some time and highlight SOMA and Amnesia: The Dark Descent as this week's stand-outs.

Also I'll mention this in passing since it's not really a Steam thing, but I'm expanding my writing purview a bit and starting to cover game jams when they happen. I really like trying the weird little experiments indie devs come up with and so I'm doing short impression pieces to help people dip their toes in. I've done two looks at the recent LOWREZJAM, with more coming in the near future.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

The average mod has more QA testing than Bethesda's actual games, so there's that.

You're really going to need to back this assertion up with some evidence besides being reductive and equating the small scale of a mod to an entire big budget game

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Hollenhammer posted:

You're really going to need to back this assertion up with some evidence besides being reductive and equating the small scale of a mod to an entire big budget game

lol

e: here I'll break it down for you: it's a joke, and it's funny because every Bethesda game is chock-full of more bugs than a rotting log

Olive! fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 29, 2017

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

lol

e: here I'll break it down for you: it's a joke, and it's funny because every Bethesda game is chock-full of more bugs than a rotting log

Righto. Not really in my experience but hey, enjoy your goofs and jibes V :) V

I associate Obsidian more closely with bugs given I've never ended a F:NV session naturally.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

drat, Divinity Original Sin II looks really good, so good it's making me forget how I hate most CRPGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTWTFX8qzPI

My body is ready.

No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
My favorite Elder Scrolls memory is buying Oblivion, spending a week trying to get it to work, and then when I finally got it to boot and run at more than 3 FPS I left the sewer to immediately fall through the bridge to the market district because somehow I'd walked into the LOD.

Still my favorite TES game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Whenever an obvious bug gets into a release, it's not usually that QA didn't catch it, it's that the producer didn't want to fix it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Hollenhammer posted:

I associate Obsidian more closely with bugs given I've never ended a F:NV session naturally.

Bethesda did QA on that game!

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Hollenhammer posted:

Whiteknighting Bethesda games as not being buggy might be the most retarded hill to die on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

This isn't exactly what happened last time they tried this same thing.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Nohman posted:

Whiteknighting Bethesda games as not being buggy might be the most retarded hill to die on.

All im sayin is i never CTD in fallout 3

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

??? but random ctd is a feature of the game

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hollenhammer posted:

All im sayin is i never CTD in fallout 3
I, too, found it hard to play for more that ten minutes in one sitting.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

Oblivion ... Still my favorite TES game.

Wait what

Orv
May 4, 2011
Some people you just, can't, reach.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Shima Honnou posted:

My favorite Elder Scrolls memory is buying Oblivion, spending a week trying to get it to work, and then when I finally got it to boot and run at more than 3 FPS I left the sewer to immediately fall through the bridge to the market district because somehow I'd walked into the LOD.

Still my favorite TES game.

Why's that? I'm not trying to be patronizing or sarcastic; I'd really like to know.

I ask partially because I bought Oblivion a while ago from GOG, since I never finished the Shivering Isles DLC, and didn't want to mess around with the disc versions I have.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
By preventing you from playing it through its own clumsy coding, Oblivion truly is the best TES game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a fantastic experience and I will gladly recommend it to everyone full price, even though it's only ~8 hours long.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The only reason I'm buying Divinity 2 is for that Dungeon Master mode they were talking about. Sounds like loving crazy good times for my friends and I.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's the early access like on Divinity II now? Is it mostly feature complete and just waiting for a few touch-ups, or does progression just end past a certain point in the campaign?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So what are the prices on those paid mods? Can anybody grab a screenshot?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Why's that? I'm not trying to be patronizing or sarcastic; I'd really like to know.

I ask partially because I bought Oblivion a while ago from GOG, since I never finished the Shivering Isles DLC, and didn't want to mess around with the disc versions I have.

He wasn't ever actually able to play the game. The version of Oblivion in his imagination was the only Oblivion that he ever really experienced. The actual game was never allowed to fail his expectations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wait, Bethesda actually added a "Power Horse Armor" as one of the paid mods in the update. It costs $5.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

What's the early access like on Divinity II now? Is it mostly feature complete and just waiting for a few touch-ups, or does progression just end past a certain point in the campaign?

It's only the starting area and prologue. 2 of the six origins/party members are not integrated yet and none of the recently announced voice acting.

What's there is really nicely polished but no point starting playing atm.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Given that D4 is probably never going to finished, is it worth playing through what there is or is it pointless without an ending?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

il_cornuto posted:

Given that D4 is probably never going to finished, is it worth playing through what there is or is it pointless without an ending?
It's all about the characters. And avant-garde.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
my favorite part of Oblivion was rolling dead rats and bears down the sides of hills and I'll cherish these memories until the day I die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SirSamVimes posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a fantastic experience and I will gladly recommend it to everyone full price, even though it's only ~8 hours long.

It's easier to reccomend a full priced 8 hour long game when it isn't 60 bucks. More companies should take note.