Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Toops posted:

"The real game was the friends I made, I had so much fun theory-crafting with you all, gentlemen, it has been an privilege playing with you."

It's like the orchestra playing as the Titanic sinks, except it's fat neckbeards masturbating sadly as they self immolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/MoUpZbh.mp4

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

quote:

Nothing is this buggy unless it is literally "cutting edge/proof of concept" software.

lol

Yes, there's no other explanation for the game being so buggy.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

AP posted:

What's your thoughts on your ship investment now, do you still think you'll get four times the original price at some point?

But...but...Star Citizen's payout is the people you meet along the road....MoMa, we are your gain from all of this! Let's rub!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pls don't dox me

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Chris Robert is literally so smart and advanced that it just looks like he creates crap. Really. Yup.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

SelenicMartian posted:

I've got an uninitiated person to expose to hilarity. Got the :pgabz: channel lined up, but

Could somebody toss a link to 'Chris Robers plays star citizen' (I almost remember the url by heart)

And that new video with commando happily relieving his nipple jets in vacuum. Not the gif.

this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TlviSj3eCE

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Slow_Moe posted:

Chris Robert is literally so smart and advanced that it just looks like he creates crap. Really. Yup.

One thing Roberts has done well is creating procedural crap.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ramadu posted:

but crobblers instead

holy gently caress where'd this come from

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yes! All sinuses unblocked.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Colostomy Bag posted:

Which is why I lean towards the "employees show up to work and find the doors locked and chained" scenario. But of course, even if there were cuts it would be waved off by backers as "this is a good thing, it shows they are going lean since they now have the proper pipelines and tools."

I was having a chat with someone who works at one of the studios, and he doesn't think that the above scenario would play out because of Chris' ego. He says that the general consensus among those who are aware that a disaster is unfolding which will affect their jobs, is that those affected will just be told not to come in to work.

And since there are five (2 in US, 2 in UK, 1 in GER) studios around the world, the question is going to be, how are they going to scale down without affecting ALL the studios in some fashion or another? One thing is certain, they will retain F42-UK and parts of CIG-LA because of the nepotism (Chris, Sandi*, Errin) and long-time friends (Ortwin, Derek, Nick, Simon). Others like Zurovek, Tracy, Chambers (love that guy) will of course stick around until the bitter end.

* Though it won't absolve her of liabilities, rumor is that they're totally getting a divorce btw. If they do file, it would be their third; seeing as they've been married to each other twice before.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

Beet, sorry dude. This is actually almost a microcosm of what's happening in the wider world; we're being asked to accept a base reality that is being shaped by relatively few people based on poo poo like Twitter. Same thing for a lot of marketing at the moment, but the humans are being drowned out by the special concerns and lobbyists. It's not actually a loving coincidence that we have SC and a run on governments worldwide by dark money. I'll stop with the CSPAM stuff now.

No worries my dude. As a regular poster both here and in the Tormp thread I understand how impossible it is to not see the parallels, which is why instead of putting on my jackboots I usually just ask people nicely to take the CSPAM stuff to CSPAM. It's less that I don't want to see/talk about it and more that A) we already have a hell of a Trump thread and B) opening the "Let's talk politics" Pandora's Box ultimately just creates strife and a lot more work for me. So it's basically out of laziness.

Daztek posted:

Will you buy the webcam though

That's a good point. Sorry to see GC2017 was disappointing to you, MoMA (get a refund), but what do you think about the TOTALLY NEW AND UNPRECEDENTED face-tracking technology they showed instead of any advancements in gameplay?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Chambers (love that guy)
Brian or Justin?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I hope battle nonsense dude keeps including the chart breaking Star Marine results in his input lag tests, never gets old!

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

You miss one deadline, it's a tragedy. You miss a million, it's a comedy.

-Without apologies to Stalin.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

ManofManyAliases posted:

Gamescom was disappointing. I did not buy the 600i. I feel grief.

Don't worry, Sonic Mania is out on PC very soon. That should help.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

That WAS the ELE. I wouldn't assume that any nemesis event is over quickly, but that's the second time they've come out to show things, and they just showed something that isn't part of any stretch goal unless you torture head-tracking and VR into facerig. They showed the value of things is not coupled to their use or utility. Single-shot with a MANPAD into a spacecraft? No problem, mate.

Sure, you can cut the 2+ hours into a 45 minute high school musical, but $158 million dollars should be rendered in tissue paper and cardboard someplace. Just to underline it.

Sure, people are throwing money into this right now, but they're the loving idiots of the world. Chris needs to appeal to moderates and people who are hanging onto their cash to part with large chunks of it for something that doesn't exist. I'm sure that many of you have regaled people with tales of this project to incredulity and humour....have many actually stopped you and expressed admiration for the way this is going?

This is the tail slide now. Marketing will be propping this poo poo up right until they chain the doors (or pregnant employees find out their medical coverage is gone).

I agree with this assessment, though I don't think GC2017 was the actual E.L.E. You see, and E.L.E comes in phases. I regard GC2017 as the "surge" phase where the ripples start radiating outward more rapidly and more powerfully, thus affecting a wider subset of affected caught in the initial blast which I wrote about back in April 2016.

What happens on or before CC2017, and what 3.0 is like when released, are going to be the deciding factor of whether or not the final E.L.E phase starts by 2017 year end, or flows into 2018. But make no mistake, the E.L.E. is intensifying, and even the most devout Shitizens is now well aware of it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Gamescom was disappointing. I did not buy the 600i. I feel grief.

:laffo:

wb, we were worried about you, man. We even made a milk carton! :grin:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tgspectre posted:

So I ran into my first Citizen in the wild today. Strange, he looked normal, maybe a little twitchier than your average joe but nice enough when we got chatting. I should have seen the warning signs when started talking about conspiracy theories out of nowhere but he was still jovial while insisting that the Bush administration orchestrated 9/11 so I went along with it.

Then he finds out I'm a PC gamer and the conversation switches to that. I ask him what his fav game is and he declares "Star Citizen - it's the best game there is!" Then it all starts, all the usual bullshit about more content then most AAA games already, revolutionising the industry with new tech etc. The bloody referral code comes up as he's offering to text it to me for when I join! I just can't get away. Any mention of vapourware or missed deadlines just caused him to double down on his pitch. But Uncle D. actually served a purpose as throwing his name in the mix was the ramp that broke the rover, setting off a frothing rage than was enough to get his partner to drag him away out of embarrassment.

So another thank you to the double doctor, the ultimate stink bomb to clear a room of shills and zealots.

:laffo:
:five::five::five:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Calling Star Citizen as we see it the work of a perfectionist is like pointing to a burning hillside and saying "Ah yes, Smokey the Bear continues his unbroken dedication to fire prevention."

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sonic Mania is now out. Go play an actual videogame. Do it. Understand what fun is first hand. Be a fast hedgehog not a slow jpeg.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Clearly a Shillizen account. Just block on move on.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yeah, a perpetually developed lumberyard module is the perfect revenue model to pay the rent. Seriously.

In more 'fools and their money';

quote:

This year we offered our customers the ultimate Black Friday experience - the ability to buy nothing from us for $5. We took our entire store offline, and put up a simple payment form where people could give us $5.

Cards against Humanity then split the cash, for literally nothing, and spent it. Here's what they spent it on;
https://cardsagainsthumanity.com/blackfriday/

I particularly liked

Beet Wagon posted:

No worries my dude. As a regular poster both here and in the Tormp thread I understand how impossible it is to not see the parallels

I avoid the debates because I'm less interested in the sides and more interested in how things got here, but there was a time around a decade ago when the world fetishized about assholes like Jobs with the idea that they're part of a mindset of success, when they're actually the chance intersection of the right brain, at the right location at the right time. Things are beginning to correct, but the concept of the 'visionary' is so loving childish that it causes me physical pain.

Edit: And we have a 'Shingy'.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ah yeah, the moron patrol.

https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/12986-Lifetime-Insurance-Clarification

quote:

Greetings Citizens,

Yesterday’s post brought up a number of questions and comments about Lifetime Insurance. In an effort to clarify and smooth the transition to the new website and to make LTI as fair as possible for all interested groups, we have made some refinements to the system. To begin, we would like to clarify who does and does not have Lifetime Insurance. We have created a useful chart for your reference. The new site will divide users into three groups:

“Original Backers” – Backers who pledged before November 26th, 2012.

“Veteran Backers” – Backers who pledged between November 26th, 2012 and the end of the grace period on July 6, 2013.

“Backers” – Backers who will have only pledged after the end of the grace period on July 6, 2013.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Hold on to your pancreas folks.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/902547231831707648

quote:

BREAKING: Several sources saying that Star Citizen is the #1 blocker for SQ42, and that the latter is likely facing the chopping block.

Back in Feb 2017, I wrote a missive stating that SQ42 may end up a justanothergamemode

If the slide shown at GC2017 last week of a multi-game launcher is any indication, this may now be the case

Apparently nothing in SQ42 currently works - at all. And for a single-player game relying on advanced AI for it's story, this is very bad

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

"I'm a veteran of the console wars. You better listen to me or you'll end up with a console that overheats!"
"That's nothing. I'm an original."
"S-senpai!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

So it's basically out of laziness.

That is the Star Citizen vision statement.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Just gonna leave this here

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Colostomy Bag posted:

That is the Star Citizen vision statement.

Nah. They're not clever enough to be lazy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

no_recall posted:

Being honest..

Looks like the most original spaceship CIG has designed so far.

e: the more I look at it, the more I think it fits in the ED universe.

I think it's a pretty cool ship but seems to have the unfortunate side effect of making a lot of their previous ships look like hot garbage.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Toops posted:

"The real game was the friends I made, I had so much fun theory-crafting with you all, gentlemen, it has been an privilege playing with you."

That's basically what we're all doing, though we don't sink hundreds of dollars on a sisyphean journey up the gravity well of a black hole of vanity.

...well I guess Derek does, what with his avatar thing and all. but you know.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Hav posted:

I avoid the debates because I'm less interested in the sides and more interested in how things got here, but there was a time around a decade ago when the world fetishized about assholes like Jobs with the idea that they're part of a mindset of success, when they're actually the chance intersection of the right brain, at the right location at the right time. Things are beginning to correct, but the concept of the 'visionary' is so loving childish that it causes me physical pain.

Edit: And we have a 'Shingy'.

America is built on hucksterism and spectacle. PT Barnum rose to prominence in 1841. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn came out in 1885. How to Win Friends and Influence People came out in 1936. Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged landed in 1957. And so on.

This is a country whose whole deal is that you can get ahead by faking it 'til you make it. It drove the rail industry, it drove slavery and cotton speculation, it drove oil, it drove gold, it drove film, it drives Silicon Valley.

Casting our net more broadly, there is a literally a "Great Man" theory of history that was taken seriously (and is still taken seriously in come circles). The Epic of Gilgamesh is literally a tale of a Great Man who does amazing things and builds a great city. This visionary sickness runs deep.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

even lethality is slowly catching on and he has that thing with his brain

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
To keep myself a little on topic: A fun thing to do is read a modern retelling of a classic scam or pyramid scheme, with the author's inevitable incredulity that people could be so stupid and then imagine someone writing that in a similar voice when this project has long collapsed and been forgotten.

In xx years, Star Citizen is going to be an obscure bit of gaming history for someone on a deadline with a posting quota to dredge up and retell for 10 minutes of diversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

scrubs season six posted:

I think it's a pretty cool ship but seems to have the unfortunate side effect of making a lot of their previous ships look like hot garbage.
Just redo them. All of them.

Somebody run this idea by the Spectrum.