Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Domination is getting a score bump in the full release. Also ParaCarl is getting rebalanced. I watched a streamer earn him and he got 1 kill with it. Not good for a 1250 point streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mill Village posted:

They just made it so you respawn in front of snipers instead.

They've been doing that since Ghosts, at least. :v:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Domination is getting a score bump in the full release. Also ParaCarl is getting rebalanced. I watched a streamer earn him and he got 1 kill with it. Not good for a 1250 point streak.

I got ParaCarl out of Care Packages a lot, and it felt like a 750 point streak. And the shotgun tweak says to me "let's make the weapon balance even more like World at War."

I cancelled my preorder. The game's okay, but I just didn't find it compelling. My two big complaints are the maps, and Divisions, both of which can't/won't be overhauled. All of them are a bit too small - there isn't a safe zone in any of these maps to drop a Care Package. I liked Ardennes, but Gibraltar felt boring after repeated play, and I might dislike Pointe du Hoc more than BO3 Nuketown. On Pointe I always feel like I'm getting shot in the back, I find it very difficult to read spawns, and the flow just sucks. And these are the maps Sledgehammer led with!

Divisions is too limiting. If you want to run Stock, which is crucial to winning gunfights in a game which heavily emphasizes gunplay, you're forced into the Infantry division. If Stock is added as a Basic Training Perk and you want to rush with Airborne, you can't run extra ammo/Scavenger with Stock. Sledgehammer wants to return to a CoD with defined roles, but I don't really remember that CoD ever existing.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Divisions are supposed to add roles? I thought they were another form of perks? COD has never been designed for roles so I'm not sure what SH is thinking there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Divisions are supposed to add roles? I thought they were another form of perks? COD has never been designed for roles so I'm not sure what SH is thinking there.

Overwatch is really popular (and actually has a playerbase on PC). :ssh:

"Classes are the new Perks!" :downswords:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Mill Village posted:

I think it's more that they're moving away from the pick 10 system so you can't just load up on all the good perks.

I like the change because I think pick 10 leads to less diversity, not more. With pick 10 everyone just chooses all the old perk 2's that used to be mutually exclusive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

I think pick 10 leads to less diversity, not more. With pick 10 everyone just chooses all the old perk 2's that used to be mutually exclusive.

:agreed:

"Why use deployables or secondaries, when you can just stack attachments and perks?"

Worst loving decision they ever made.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

I think it's more that they're moving away from the pick 10 system so you can't just load up on all the good perks.

I like the change because I think pick 10 leads to less diversity, not more. With pick 10 everyone just chooses all the old perk 2's that used to be mutually exclusive.

That makes sense when you put it that way. I too am guilty of using the same perks on all my classes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yes let’s force everyone in the game to have grenades. That’ll make it better.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes let’s force everyone in the game to have grenades. That’ll make it better.

:yeah: :great:

That's why BLOPS 1 is the best shooter ever made.
You can use them or not, and it doesn't "count against your gear choice".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BLOPS1 is the last best COD in spite of the nades because it had dedicated servers, the best AR ever made, some top tier maps, and dolphin diving.

(Also a really good theater mode)

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Hackan Slash posted:

I haven't played, but I was under the impression that the divisions are just fixed sets of perks tied to your primary weapon class, and you only get to choose one weapon-agnostic perk. That sounds like... the opposite of what you'd want.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

BLOPS1 is the last best COD in spite of the nades because it had dedicated servers, the best AR ever made, some top tier maps, and dolphin diving.

(Also a really good theater mode)

It never had dedicated servers on console (the only proper platform to play a CoD game on), and the theatre had at least a 50% chance of loving up a Ground Game recording, and sometimes it would mess with 6v6 ones too.
I'll say this about BLOPS 3; it records the entire Goddamned match, every time.

Best map balance (indoor/outdoor areas), best damage modelling (locations and fall-off), best netcode of any CoD.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 29, 2017

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
There will always be an optimal setup for min-maxing rear end in a top hat like me, no matter what class system the devs come up with. It's my opinion to just give people the freedom (Pick 10) to make their class as they see fit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

(the only proper platform to play a CoD game on)

This may be the case now but PC was king back then for MW1 - MW2 - BLOPS1. From then on, PC support shifted considerably to consoles and now it’s all console all the time.

Of course, none of this matters as Mario XCOM is out and is real good so I won’t be playing anything else.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

MW2 had no dedicated servers on PC (Steam boycott pic here), and the 360's player base alone was consistently higher throughout its lifespan (where player counts stats could be scraped via in-game/CoD Elite/other methods)

Javes posted:

There will always be an optimal setup for min-maxing rear end in a top hat like me, no matter what class system the devs come up with. It's my opinion to just give people the freedom (Pick 10) to make their class as they see fit.

Except anyone that's any good gravitates towards the same options, so the effective result is no variety. You only see newbies with anything different, because they're still unlocking everything.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
uhh there are plenty of people who opt to have fun with a variety of weapons regardless of whether or not that load out is "the best"

i get that you've reduced these games to 'what proverbial corner can i back myself into to maximize the amount of kills' but insinuating that it's only new players who avoid mix/maxing is ridiculous

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

uhh there are plenty of people who opt to have fun with a variety of weapons regardless of whether or not that load out is "the best"

i get that you've reduced these games to 'what proverbial corner can i back myself into to maximize the amount of kills' but insinuating that it's only new players who avoid mix/maxing is ridiculous

I've beaten Javes running and gunning with both the MR6 and a stock Argus, asking others. And in games where we lose together, I'm typically above him on the board. I play defense because my internet isn't reliable, not because it's OP.

Also, it's telling that when we want to win against tryhard teams, we stop using the "fun" options. Fun is only against scrubs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My Yokai is fun 100% of the time, I don’t need to switch classes against tryhards :c00l:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My Yokai is fun 100% of the time, I don’t need to switch classes against tryhards :c00l:

Never works for me; too weak, too slow, for my connection. What I really need is a one hit shotgun, but I'm not spending money on this poo poo.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Mister Facetious posted:

Except anyone that's any good gravitates towards the same options, so the effective result is no variety. You only see newbies with anything different, because they're still unlocking everything.

But having bits of your loadout predetermined for you isn't going to stop people saying, "What's the most efficient choice I can make for slot X?" The community's going to come to a consensus about what's best and then use it. It just reduces the number of choices players get to make (and, personally, hurts my enjoyment by reducing the viability of gimmick builds).

If you want more people running equipment, the question you ask is, "Why did they seem less appealing than equally costed items?" And for most of the equipment, the answer is they require more skill to use and/or only work on highly specialized situations and they're either non-renewable or require players to spec around recovering them. Whereas perks and attachments provide much more consistent, predictable value to players.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What I want is for deployable items to not count towards the limit, since there's no guarantee you can even replenish them from sequel to sequel.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Mister Facetious posted:

I've beaten Javes running and gunning with both the MR6 and a stock Argus, asking others. And in games where we lose together, I'm typically above him on the board. I play defense because my internet isn't reliable, not because it's OP.

Also, it's telling that when we want to win against tryhard teams, we stop using the "fun" options. Fun is only against scrubs.

ah, yes, the classic "my broken clock was right twice a day" argument. sorry you don't have fun playing video games unless you're pub stomping :shobon:

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Mister Facetious posted:

What I want is for deployable items to not count towards the limit, since there's no guarantee you can even replenish them from sequel to sequel.

Ah. Now that idea, I could get behind.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

ah, yes, the classic "my broken clock was right twice a day" argument. sorry you don't have fun playing video games unless you're pub stomping :shobon:

You have fun when you're losing?

lol

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

JackGeneric posted:

But having bits of your loadout predetermined for you isn't going to stop people saying, "What's the most efficient choice I can make for slot X?" The community's going to come to a consensus about what's best and then use it. It just reduces the number of choices players get to make (and, personally, hurts my enjoyment by reducing the viability of gimmick builds).

Perhaps things get opened up with more Basic Training perks in the beta, but things are rough right now. It'd be really nice to run Lightweight and Extreme Conditioning with a shotgun, but you have to give up the incendiary rounds which made them better. No one gets to run Flak Jacket and Tac Mask outside of the LMG division. And you have to use your one perk slot to equip one attachment on your secondary.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Godzilla07 posted:

Perhaps things get opened up with more Basic Training perks in the beta, but things are rough right now. It'd be really nice to run Lightweight and Extreme Conditioning with a shotgun, but you have to give up the incendiary rounds which made them better. No one gets to run Flak Jacket and Tac Mask outside of the LMG division. And you have to use your one perk slot to equip one attachment on your secondary.

As an Expeditionary Main, I feel ripped off I couldn't have both a tac and a lethal despite being Exped 2. Unless I'm missing something, this newfangled "just one throwing item PERIOD" poo poo ain't so hot.

I think I have a rating for WW2 at this point, at least for MP: why did you pick WW2 themes you creatively bankrupt fuckers/10

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Say what you will about every CoD being the same, if there's one thing the devs keep experimenting with for good or ill, it's the perk system.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If only they did the netcode right and then passed it on to all cod games

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:sigh::respek::patriot:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Theater mode is one thing from last gen games that I dearly miss. Zipping around the map watching old firefights play out in Black Ops and Halo 3 never got old and it really sucks that developers have ditched it in favor of stream recording

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Theater mode is one thing from last gen games that I dearly miss. Zipping around the map watching old firefights play out in Black Ops and Halo 3 never got old and it really sucks that developers have ditched it in favor of stream recording

Especially since eSports favorite CS:GO has been improving their "GOTV" version recently.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I might be misremebering but did the Theatre Mode in Black Ops 1 not cause enough lag that it could affect multiplayer performance?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

At first I was all "hey maybe the devs had a point" but then I remembered that theater mode (at least as far as Treyarhch's mode went) actually let you watch from all angles and see the same battle differently.

PS4 Share ain't that capable, and certainly ain't enough in the day and age of elgato.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I might be misremebering but did the Theatre Mode in Black Ops 1 not cause enough lag that it could affect multiplayer performance?

I heard it was MW3, which is why it didn't have it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Furtunately they made up for it with good maps like Hardhat and Mission!

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Yeah I think half of the fun I had with Blops1/MW3 was messing around in theater mode and making dumb YT videos.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Furtunately they made up for it with good maps like Hardhat and Mission!

Stop trolling.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I have a PS4 now. It came with IW. Assuming people are still playing that in the days leading up to WW2, my PSN is PSJack5434.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

I have a PS4 now. It came with IW. Assuming people are still playing that in the days leading up to WW2, my PSN is PSJack5434.

Community invite sent. Feel free to spam the group with friend requests. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Half an hour ago, Amazon UK sent out my beta code for the Xbox One. Are we likely to be able to pre-download the game before the beta starts tomorrow (1800 BST)?

• Locked thread