Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I tutored a mature student from Albania I think once and her name was Inelda because Imelda was a banned name for being too Western. On the day her mother went to get her name official registered it was a novice clerk and she managed to badger her into letting Inelda be registered as a name. It's pronounced Imelda though lol

e: I could be wrong on the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's my god given right to name my son Microsoft Pnurtis and no government big shot is about to tell me I can't :colbert:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Remember this winner?

Dejawesp posted:

On the other hand he also spent his later years stealing smoke detectors in an attempt to build another bloody tool shed nuclear reactor.

on topic:

Remember kids, STDH doesn't pay.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

you're a little late

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

life is killing me posted:

I bet Adolf isn't among those allowed names

I know at least 3 people named that. They go by Adi.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Banning a first name because of Hitler seems silly. It would be like banning the name John because a serial killer was called it. Just because outside of Germany and Austria our first thought when we hear Adolf is Hitler doesn't mean it's necessarily the same there.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's not banned most people are just sensible enough not to call their child Adolf. They do have rules about no "degrading or embarrassing names" so you can't call your kid Uglyface Poopsnout or whatever. However it's extremely dumb to compare Hitler to a serial killer lol

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Aug 29, 2017

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Zipperelli. posted:

Wait, there's a literal list of allowed names in Austria?

Dunno about Austria, but I remember a news report about some parents wanting to name their kids something ridiculous in New Zealand and them going to court to allow it but the court told them they couldn't.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11770854

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

It's not banned most people are just sensible enough not to call their child Adolf they do have rules about no "degrading or embarrassing names" so you can't call your kid Uglyface Poopsnout or whatever. However it's extremely dumb to compare Hitler to a serial killer lol

Who still thinks tattoos are something to be publicly ridiculed/harrassed about in TYOL 2017?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Slime posted:

Banning a first name because of Hitler seems silly. It would be like banning the name John because a serial killer was called it. Just because outside of Germany and Austria our first thought when we hear Adolf is Hitler doesn't mean it's necessarily the same there.

Hitler is a taboo there in many senses mainly because genocide and his association with the Nazi party. I dunno if you heard of that one? Many Germans actively avoid talking about him and you wouldn't wanna name your kid Adolf. Going around yelling "Heil Hitler" is likely to get the Polizei on your rear end. They are very ashamed. They don't want to act like the Holocaust never happened, but they'd love for you to not talk about it or Hitler in a positive light.

Source: lived in Germany

And Hitler =/= serial killer.

Hitler--killed 6 million Jews and other ethnic groups basically for not being German

Serial killer--killed around 3 people, possibly more but never 6 million, largely for reasons you see described unrealistically on shows like Criminal Minds

6 million, 3.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And then everybody clapped, including a newly sentient train. And that train's name, was Adolf Hitler

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Aug 29, 2017

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
In the end it comes down to why you want to name your kid Adolf. If the city thinks you are doing because you idolize Hitler then no they will not allow it. If you beloved grandfather was called Adolf and you want to honor him its a different thing although they'll strongly suggest that you use it as a middle name and not the first name.
Theres no blacklist or whitelist for names. You can name your kid a lot of stupid stuff as long as you can give a really good reason why and as long as its not hurting the child.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It's not banned most people are just sensible enough not to call their child Adolf. They do have rules about no "degrading or embarrassing names" so you can't call your kid Uglyface Poopsnout or whatever. However it's extremely dumb to compare Hitler to a serial killer lol

Hitler is a taboo there in many senses mainly because genocide and his association with the Nazi party. I dunno if you heard of that one? Many Germans actively avoid talking about him and you wouldn't wanna name your kid Adolf. Going around yelling "Heil Hitler" is likely to get the Polizei on your rear end. They are very ashamed. They don't want to act like the Holocaust never happened, but they'd love for you to not talk about it or Hitler in a positive light.

Source: lived in Germany

And Hitler =/= serial killer.

Hitler--killed 6 million Jews and other ethnic groups basically for not being German

Serial killer--killed around 3 people, possibly more but never 6 million, largely for reasons you see described unrealistically on shows like Criminal Minds

6 million, 3.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

I agree that post was loving dumb and I apologize for it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Sir Lemming posted:

And then everybody clapped, including a newly sentient train. And that train's name, was Adolf Hitler

Hitlery McHitler-Face

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Shai-Hulud posted:

In the end it comes down to why you want to name your kid Adolf. If the city thinks you are doing because you idolize Hitler then no they will not allow it. If you beloved grandfather was called Adolf and you want to honor him its a different thing although they'll strongly suggest that you use it as a middle name and not the first name.
Theres no blacklist or whitelist for names. You can name your kid a lot of stupid stuff as long as you can give a really good reason why and as long as its not hurting the child.

What if Hitler was you beloved grandfather though?

:thunk:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
You have to hand it to Hitler for single handedly destroying a name, a surname and a mustache. Has anybody else in history matched his accomplishments in conjuring negative connotations? In another 100 years, will Adolf make a comeback?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

sixth and maimed posted:

Who still thinks tattoos are something to be publicly ridiculed/harrassed about in TYOL 2017?
People who are desperate for persecution but don't want to use one of the old standbys(religion/political views/being mad about video games).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The story as written definitely didn't happen, but creepy rear end in a top hat guys do exist and absolutely do act like that, in public. And people are still loving gross as hell about tattoos, I had a boss once remark to me that he thought tattoos made women ugly, like his opinion on it loving mattered at all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The story as written definitely didn't happen, but creepy rear end in a top hat guys do exist and absolutely do act like that, in public. And people are still loving gross as hell about tattoos, I had a boss once remark to me that he thought tattoos made women ugly, like his opinion on it loving mattered at all.

All of the employees at work need to hide their tattoos because the owners are senior citizens who still think tattoos are the mark of hooligans. One of them blamed the problems a competitor had on them hiring gays.

We've successfully hidden from them that their good Christian company almost exclusively employs left-wing, tattooed queers (including a lesbian couple) and one trans guy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Comptroll The Forums posted:

You have to hand it to Hitler for single handedly destroying a name, a surname and a mustache. Has anybody else in history matched his accomplishments in conjuring negative connotations? In another 100 years, will Adolf make a comeback?

Elvis.

If you see anyone under the age of 60 named Elvis, you know that their parents were massive tools, and that the kid had to deal with all sorts of poo poo due to their name.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sixth and maimed posted:

The woman with really ugly tattoos who wrote that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

That's just stupid; why would Hitler have been in a guard tower?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I've witnessed boys doing the old "I just don't get [x]" routine about piercings when talking to women with visible piercings. I'm assuming it's a PUA strategy?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Fathis Munk posted:

Then I would be bragging about how my grandpa personally killed Hitler, probably

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've witnessed boys doing the old "I just don't get [x]" routine about piercings when talking to women with visible piercings. I'm assuming it's a PUA strategy?

Speaking as someone who used to say poo poo like that when he was an idiot teenager, it's more a crippling lack of self-confidence (not directly criticizing someone because you aren't confident enough to handle confrontation or disagreement) combined with the kind of self-absorbed social unawareness that makes one share stupid opinions unprompted. So you say whatever is on your mind, in indirect sort of ways that you can try to duck away from if someone thinks you're insulting them ("oh no I didn't mean your piercings/tattoos/short hair/huge tits, I mean like in general") because you badly want people to notice and talk to you, but you don't really have a sense of social appropriateness so you come across as That Weird Kid, kind of a jerk but you don't realize it and don't mean to be.

I got better.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I really don't understand the need to get tattoos and piercings that are visible in business casual and then wonder why organizations and corporations don't want to hire you.

The reality is, if you don't think about these things before you permanently adorn your body, you're basically consigning yourself to more limited options than you'd have if you stifled the inexplicable need to express yourself at all times, even in places where such expression is inappropriate.

Disclaimer: I have tattoos and like them, I just think it's stupid to whine about tattoos not being acceptable in certain contexts

e: Yep I'm aware of the current tack of conversation here

life is killing me has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Aug 30, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Then I would be bragging about how my grandpa personally killed Hitler, probably

That was Hitler's best accomplishment, but he didn't have any kids, so the question is, who was grandpa, really? :iiam:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Albert Einstein, duh :rolleyes:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Weeding Out The Bad Customers
DEPARTMENT STORE | AUSTRALIA | RIGHT | MAY 23, 2015

(I work in the kitchen department in a well known retail chain when a toothless young man who looks and smells like he hasn’t bathed in a while approaches me.)

Customer: “Excuse me; do you have anything electric that can grind… herbs?”

Me: “Sure, we have a basic herb chopper, but if you want to grind it fine you might need a coffee grinder.”

Customer: “I don’t want to lie to you…” *whispers* “It’s for weed.”

Me: “I figured.”

Customer: “”What do you use to grind your weed?”

(I don’t use the stuff.)

Me: “This coffee grinder here. It’s perfect for the job”

Customer: “Thanks. Please don’t tell the cops.”

quote:

Racists Are Popping Up By The Dozen
DONUT SHOP | PA, USA | RIGHT | DECEMBER 17, 2016

Customer: *to my coworker* “I would like a half-dozen plain glazed donuts.”

(My coworker packs them up in a box sized just for the half dozen, and then turns to start ringing the customer up.)

Customer: “Uh, EXCUSE me, I asked for a HALF DOZEN donuts.”

Coworker: “This is a half-dozen, ma’am.”

(He opens the box to show her.)

Customer: “Oh, my god. A haaaaaaaalf dooooooozen. Why can’t they hire people who speak English. You there!”

(She is snapping her fingers at me, and I come over.)

Customer: “I ordered a half-dozen donuts and this [racist slur] gave me six!”

Me: “A half-dozen is six.”

Customer: “Oh, my god, are you an idiot!? There’s ten in a half-dozen!”

(She pulls out her phone, muttering comments about how dumb I am and racial comments about my coworker. She flashes a screen with the search “how many are in a half dozen,” and then hits enter. It comes back with six, and she turns a bright shade of red.)

Customer: “Oh, my god. Oh, my god, this is bull-s***.” *she turns to leave the store, and then stops at the door and turns to my coworker* “Go back to where you came from! I hope you are deported!”

Coworker: “I’m from New Jersey.”

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I can't get off on that last anecdote if the editor is gonna censor where the racist thought the coworker was from.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I really don't understand the need to get tattoos and piercings that are visible in business casual and then wonder why organizations and corporations don't want to hire you.

The reality is, if you don't think about these things before you permanently adorn your body, you're basically consigning yourself to more limited options than you'd have if you stifled the inexplicable need to express yourself at all times, even in places where such expression is inappropriate.

Disclaimer: I have tattoos and like them, I just think it's stupid to whine about tattoos not being acceptable in certain contexts

e: Yep I'm aware of the current tack of conversation here

Wait does LoB have an alt account?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They, correctly, thought the co-worker was from New Jersey.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah I mean who wouldn't want to deport people from New Jersey?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah I mean who wouldn't want to deport people from New Jersey?

Deport them right back into New Jersey.

Come to think of it, I'd support a wall around New Jersey.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait does LoB have an alt account?

I agree with him, though. My complete back's covered and I have a quarter sleeve, so it's not like I'm just anti-tatoo. OTOH, I made sure I can cover them up if needed. I work an office job and not every employer is as understanding about them as my current one. I used to work for a Japanese owned company that had a lot of senior ex-pats at C-level; they're not too great about tatoos.

As for piercings, I don't get them. I also don't find them aesthetically pleasing. But, I also get that that's my personal opinion, and I don't volunteer it to people or judge them because they have them.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
When it comes to tattoos it's always important to remember that literally no one on this earth cares about your opinion on tattoos. And if you ever find yourself in a situation where you're sharing your opinions on tattoos you've definitely hosed up in some way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BobbyK posted:

And if you ever find yourself in a situation where you're sharing your opinions on tattoos you've definitely hosed up in some way.

:ironicat:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

BobbyK posted:

When it comes to tattoos it's always important to remember that literally no one on this earth cares about your opinion on tattoos. And if you ever find yourself in a situation where you're sharing your opinions on tattoos you've definitely hosed up in some way.

So... How badly did you gently caress up with your tattoos?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BobbyK posted:

Literally no one on this earth cares about your tattoos, it's important to remember this also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

It seems like you do care actually.