Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mughead will always be my favorite Celestial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Mughead will always be my favorite Celestial.

*in booming voice of ageless time and unimaginable infinity* DON'T DRINK AT ME BEFORE I'VE TALKED MY COFFEE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Someone post Will Eisner's "Jack Kirby vs The Mob" story, please. Today deserves it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Someone post Will Eisner's "Jack Kirby vs The Mob" story, please. Today deserves it.

I just love that Eisner just drew Kirby going back to his desk and drawing, being angrily annoyed, like he just shooed a bunch of kids off the front steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmykiOdHzH0

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Pretend I posted the panels where Silver Surfer rebels against and fight Galactus and is then stripped of his powers

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

PYF Kirby tributes

(not quite done yet but my Kirby cosmic sleeve)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Pretend I posted the panels where Silver Surfer rebels against and fight Galactus and is then stripped of his powers

Got you covered.

Also, I can't believe I forgot about this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Retro Futurist posted:

PYF Kirby tributes

Lots of people doing them on the Twitters today.

https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/status/902185774174486528

https://twitter.com/sinKEVitch/status/902231028466458624

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Endless Mike posted:

Defenders #4

I hope it was intentional that right after a discussion on how silly it is that Japanese manga have sfx like "lean" an American comic is posted with sfx like "smash" and "smack" and everyone loves it

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I hope it was intentional that right after a discussion on how silly it is that Japanese manga have sfx like "lean" an American comic is posted with sfx like "smash" and "smack" and everyone loves it

Smash and smack are established onomatopoeia. Lean is not. What sound even is that?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ecavalli posted:

Smash and smack are established onomatopoeia. Lean is not. What sound even is that?

High pitched but slow violin scratch, you know the one

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ecavalli posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whd8VcW2ViM

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
TV Iron Fist should team up with Newspaper Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Got you covered.

Also, I can't believe I forgot about this.

You know that first one isn't Jack Kirby, right? It's from the excellent Moebius/Stan Lee mini that happens in a universe where there's no Fantastic Four (or any other superheroes).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Wrong that's from THE ULTIMATE COSMIC EXPERIENCE!!!!!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ecavalli posted:

It's a bad translation. If you look back at the pages that started this discussion, they use "sfx: lean" in two different panels for two completely different sound effects.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Retro Futurist posted:

PYF Kirby tributes

I always felt this panel by John Romita JR from Eternals captured a pretty great Kirby feel :)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Read this last night. Probably my favorite Lee / Kirby Marvel work up to this point in the marvel reading order (Journey into Mystery #97, ~ 130 comics into the order for me)

Don Blake decides to give up being Thor for Jane Foster but then gets rejected by her. So back to Thor for him, as he fights Lava Man.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Retro Futurist posted:

PYF Kirby tributes

https://youtu.be/sjlsfrtkxOI

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
God, Michael Ironside loving ruled as Darkseid.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This was such a great tribute and the episode itself was so goddamn good.

edit
the funeral scene was also good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n-dHW3ZTTs

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 29, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
"Kirby Meets Kirby": http://katewillaert.com/KirbyMeetsKirby.png

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Got you covered.

Am I missing something with the background Surfer is falling into here? Why is he falling into a different city block in every panel? Including the two where he's already landed?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Am I missing something with the background Surfer is falling into here? Why is he falling into a different city block in every panel? Including the two where he's already landed?

He hasn't landed, he's still falling each one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Umm... The Power Cosmic. That's a good explanation for everything weird about the Surfer, right?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Horizontal momentum doesn't go away when you get swatted out of the sky; he's still moving sideways as hefalls.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Nilbop posted:

he only landed in the last one. he's still falling in every other panel

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Nilbop posted:

The perspective is spinning.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Nipponophile posted:

It's a bad translation. If you look back at the pages that started this discussion, they use "sfx: lean" in two different panels for two completely different sound effects.

No, it's right.

The first is the sound of him leaning against something

The second is because he's just generally of lean build

Two completely different sounds in Japanese, but they're homophones in English

:thejoke:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Squidster posted:

So, the folks in Delicious in Dungeon are hunting a Red Dragon. Laius, the swordsman, lost his sister to the damned beast only weeks before. ( Read right to left )

It tears through their party like paper, and nothing they have can scratch it's armour. It's only weakpoint is a missing scale on its neck.

Cool spoilers my dude.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this isn't posting too much, but here goes: Moon Knight #14: Moon Knight's been going crazier than normal (which is saying something if you know Moon Knight), and he's found that it's the result of Khonshu trying to soften up his brain so he can take over MK's body. So now it's time to confront an Egyptian god, who says "You can't be Moon Knight without me..."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Good for MarcStevenJake. It's nice to see him handling his brain problems. :3:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

prefect posted:

Good for MarcStevenJake. It's nice to see him handling his brain problems. :3:

By saying nu huh and then crushing its skull like we all do

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Calaveron posted:

By saying nu huh and then crushing its skull like we all do

It's a metaphor.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Although I don't know what's going on this is really good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've read almost every Moon Knight story there is because I'm a big fan of the character, and Lemire's Moon Knight I think is easily the best of them all.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It would probably be better if the entire thing didn't look like bad poser models with no real sense of movement.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I've read almost every Moon Knight story there is because I'm a big fan of the character, and Lemire's Moon Knight I think is easily the best of them all.

That's a super loaded opinion.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I will always love that little 6 issue Ellis run, it landed perfectly for me on every level. I can't say I've read past that recently but that sniper issue always stands out to me as a hell of a good way to start a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

It would probably be better if the entire thing didn't look like bad poser models with no real sense of movement.

Look at modern day Deodato or Olivetti for a better example, that art isn't nearly that bad. It's true though, Declan Shalvey set an insanely high bar for MK art.