Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

No "Welcome to the club, pal!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiNz1z6ftY8
The evolution of rick and morty

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

LashLightning posted:

The universe throws him a bone, can't blame him being happy about it.

The truth is, we're all garbage people. We're all garbage crab-people in a trash-bucket and when one of us tries to climb out of the bucket, the rest of us pulls them back down, back down in the trash, in an effort to get out as well.

Lobsters

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Unmarketables is my new obsession. I saw it a while ago, but I showed my brother that and that's all we quote when we hang out.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the abuse of jerry has been unrelenting, Rick clearly is starting to soften up on him. He admitted to jerry that it's largely his fault he got divorced, and was even going to tell beth the same thing. But then he uses Jerry trying to kill him again as an excuse not to tell beth, which is bullshit because it doesn't change what rick did. He just used it as an excuse to avoid something uncomfortable that he committed to while drunk. But the truth is already out there, and I think the family's gonna wind up back together somehow.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

empty whippet box posted:

But the truth is already out there, and I think the family's gonna wind up back together somehow.

I'm guessing Jerry and Beth will wind up back together without Rick doing anything at all. Beth's resentment of Jerry mostly came from the belief that he was "holding her back" or ruined her chance for greatness or whatever. But now that he's gone, it seems like Beth's not any stronger or happier or more fulfilled...her life is not actually any better, and may actually be worse, so clearly Jerry wasn't actually the thing holding her back.

And, you know, Jerry's a spineless idiot turd, but he's unchallenging and supportive. Which Rick pretty much never is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Beth should go off on her own and fail on her own while jerry pathetically but kindly raises the kids.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Jerry is a giant loser but he's almost definitely the better parent of the two.

He wouldn't have flubbed that body image question if Summer asked him. Well, not as badly.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

JT Jag posted:

He wouldn't have flubbed that body image question if Summer asked him. Well, not as badly.

he'd probably go on an awkward segue about how many men are more into legs and that hers are nice, not that he looks at her like that and oh god no your boobs are fine too though UGH and then tries to run out of the room but ends up going through a glass door and rick has to teleport him to a hospital

"are we in some sort of space hospital?"
"no jerry it's just a normal *burppp* hospital... stitches aren't exactly rocket science"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

JT Jag posted:

Summer would be SOL if a hobo with a knife was trying to kill her and she had to rely on Jerry to save her though

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
My terry flaps

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mulva posted:

Hey, it's cool, if you couldn't defend someone whose greatest day was busting inside a real doll you probably wouldn't be able to look yourself in the mirror every morning, I totally understand.

Speaking from experience?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

JT Jag posted:

If the kids had to live with one or the other, they're probably better off with Jerry than with Beth. Jerry is a feckless parent, but Beth barely seems to care about being a parent.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Its Rinaldo posted:

Summer would be SOL if a hobo with a knife was trying to kill her and she had to rely on Jerry to save her though

This is the same Summer who blew out Immortan Joe's front tire and then perforated his skull with a sawed-off... I think she'll manage.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mechanical Ape posted:

If the kids had to live with one or the other, they're probably better off with Jerry than with Beth. Jerry is a feckless parent, but Beth barely seems to care about being a parent.

Jerry is a person who thinks it is reasonable to rub a dog's nose in piss.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hungry for dog piss

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I hope Jerry isn't gone forever simply because I need more Chris Parnell cartoon characters in my life besides Cyril Figgis.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

galagazombie posted:

I don't get this "Jerry emotionally manipulates people" thing. Yeah he's spineless, but at what point in the show has he used this fact to make someone do something that harmed them or enriched himself?

he hid in a locked car while his wife was being attacked and told her to basically fend for herself

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I hope Jerry isn't gone forever simply because I need more Chris Parnell cartoon characters in my life besides Cyril Figgis.

I semi-recently started watching 30 Rock and it's so fuckin' weird seeing him being a non-illustrated person, and one with a completely different personality.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I kinda hope Beth and Jerry don't get back together, but Jerry still gets a good spot in the show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/mundanematt/status/902805579730526209

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

he hid in a locked car while his wife was being attacked and told her to basically fend for herself

They say you shouldn't assist!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bust Rodd posted:

This is the same Summer who blew out Immortan Joe's front tire and then perforated his skull with a sawed-off... I think she'll manage.

While a fair point I was mostly referring to Jerry's willingness to deliberately prioritize his own physical well being over his loved onesones which is kinda something a parent shouldn't do generally

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 31, 2017

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

prefect posted:

I semi-recently started watching 30 Rock and it's so fuckin' weird seeing him being a non-illustrated person, and one with a completely different personality.

Yet just as cartoonish.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
One of the writers/artists of the comics was doing a local signing so I went to grab a book or two knowing what that crowd was going tp be like. Guy near me was clearly on the spectrum kept trying to tell everyone, artist included, his brilliant idea for an episode not understanding the guy didnt work on the tv show. The artist (kyle something) was super patient but it was just awful. He finally understood he did comics then tried to give him $5 to draw something on his face he could get tattooed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Coughing Hobo posted:

Yet just as cartoonish.

I mean...moreso?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Its Rinaldo posted:

While a fair point I was mostly referring to Jerry's willingness to deliberately prioritize his own physical well being over his loved onesones which is kinda something a parent shouldn't do generally

I don't think anyone's saying he's a legitimately great parent, just a way more invested one than Beth and certainly Rick.

He hid from an insane hobo and left Beth to fend for herself, but he didn't get day-drunk off wine and then accidentally bash his daughter in the face with the bottle. So that's something.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Xealot posted:

I don't think anyone's saying he's a legitimately great parent, just a way more invested one than Beth and certainly Rick.

He hid from an insane hobo and left Beth to fend for herself, but he didn't get day-drunk off wine and then accidentally bash his daughter in the face with the bottle. So that's something.

Giving her a black eye. On picture day.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Neither are good parents, but it's p easy to see how Jerry at least cares about the well being of his kids even if he's not good at supporting that desire for well being. Beth on the other hand seems content to check out and ignore them entirely.

I would rather have an ineffective parent that cared than one who seems to actively wish they didn't have to parent.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
My take on the recent 'vagina' joke is that it was actually highlighting the fact that if Jerry was a woman and Beth a man, their relationship would be seen as one in which Jerry was normal and Beth abusive.

Most of Jerry's behaviour and insecurities have to do with norms about masculinity, which in fact is usually just :thejoke:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I'll be honest, I kinda hope Jerry goes off and becomes a successful actor/director, doing coke with Johnny Depp and avoiding the weekend at dead cat lady's pitfall, leaving Beth to realize she was the one holding him back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

As Nero Danced posted:

I'll be honest, I kinda hope Jerry goes off and becomes a successful actor/director, doing coke with Johnny Depp and avoiding the weekend at dead cat lady's pitfall, leaving Beth to realize she was the one holding him back.

I think that's a little overboard. Even if Jerry just got his own apartment that wasn't a motel and got a new job making magazine ads or something. Even a modicum of success would illustrate your point without just meanly shoving it into our faces.

Or he meets a really sleepy guy named Gary at a bar and they start talking about Star Wars...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hodgepodge posted:

My take on the recent 'vagina' joke is that it was actually highlighting the fact that if Jerry was a woman and Beth a man, their relationship would be seen as one in which Jerry was normal and Beth abusive.

Most of Jerry's behaviour and insecurities have to do with norms about masculinity, which in fact is usually just :thejoke:

Minimalist use of pixelation does indeed show that Jerry has a small penis.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I'm glad we got the Innerspace episode we got

https://youtu.be/eXMCLZs9N68

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's cowardice, not manipulation

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I don't get this "Jerry emotionally manipulates people" thing. Yeah he's spineless, but at what point in the show has he used this fact to make someone do something that harmed them or enriched himself?

I think the whole Taddy Mason bit with Summer would've qualified if Summer hadn't been so tired of Jerry's poo poo by that point that she immediately sees through what he's trying to do (butter her up with better memories of him in order to ask her for money) and calls him out on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tKkJ7lesOs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

prefect posted:

Doctor Spaceman is such a brilliant character.

I love that Chris Parnell's last scene on 30 Rock is Doctor Spaceman going to work for the government to save humanity from an epidemic or something ridiculous like that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh poo poo! That's a nice detail I didn't pick up on.

Although, when you're traveling at lightspeed or whatever would a seatbelt even matter during a crash?