Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did I imagine it, or did detoxed Rick's skin-tone change to be a bit less grey?

It was very much less grey, but you imagined to be only a bit less grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

e X posted:

What I want out of the show is a fun scifi anthology show, coloring different concepts each episode. I don't mind the character introspective stuff, but I hope it doesn't become the focal point. There are a ton of character studies on TV, but very view genuinely funny and creative science fiction show, so that is what I want out of it. Otherwise I might as well watch Bojack Horseman instead.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel about it. The first two seasons kept the character introspective elements secondary to the fun scifi. It gave the adventures just enough weight to be more than a standard adult animated comedy. We're still going on adventures, but so far each one has been a setup for a character study rather than just for the sake of fun.

But that said, this episode achieved the perfect balance of introspective character study and high-concept sci-fi and I thought it was brilliant.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That weaponized tribble that kills non booger Rick reminds me of a few sci-fi creatures.

Typical, can I get some info on what went into making it?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

There are a depressing number of people who mistake the likes of Walter White and Tony Soprano for heroes or role models simply because they were the protagonist.

Walter White did everything right until he turned down the $5 million for his share of methylamine

I don't think Tony Soprano ever did anything wrong. He was a criminal, but that was the life he was forced into by circumstances

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Got a real chill remix out of this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUpBNu6ckfU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Heck yeeeeah :toot:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's good, but it's no I Am Alive.

I don't think there's any topping that jam.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

e X posted:

And honestly, the show is the worst when they do straight up movie riffs. Like, "Looks whose purging now" is probably the worst episode of the entire series. I just don't get it. Why do an uninspired parody of a mildly successful horror franchise? There isn't even really a twist to it, it is basically just the premise of the franchise with aliens.

Because it's not really a parody? Granted, I haven't seen the Purge, but besides the basic concept of a "Purge night", was any part of the movie's plot/setting/characters poked fun at in the episode?

I kind of understand where you're coming from, since I never could stand stuff like the Scary Movie franchise, where they trot out a bunch of references with the sole punchline being that you recognize the character and they're gay or fart or something.

I haven't seen any evidence of R&M doing this though- the movie references that I have recognized have never borrowed anything more than the broadest strokes to tell a distinctly Rick and Morty storyline that has little if any time to make fun of the source.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 30, 2017

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
It's worth noting (unless I missed someone else doing it,) that the Purge episode was literally written in a day to fill space after they decided to trim The Wedding Squanchers down from a two parter (or rather, decided to make it a cliffhanger into season 3.)

So it is essentially just a movie parody without much of a purpose to it beyond that. Arthricia was cute though.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Got a real chill remix out of this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUpBNu6ckfU

I love how "penis in the foreskin" becomes a counterpoint toward the end.

Phylodox posted:

It's good, but it's no I Am Alive.

I don't think there's any topping that jam.

I don't know... I'm partial to Pickle Rick!. I think I like both of those two about the same, actually, followed closely by Noob Noob!.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

"Are you familiar with Ben Wa technology?"

that line killed me

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

tarlibone posted:

Maybe I have an irrationally soft spot for Jerry. To me, the repeated, unrelenting, unrepentant abuse of Jerry from the writers (and thus the characters, setting, and everything else on the show) is getting a little old.

He's a garbage person with practically zero redeeming qualities who always takes the easy path, and he deserves everything they poo poo on him. The fact Beth isn't great either doesn't change their marriage is better off over and his life is a failure.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The purge episode is one of my favorites because I love the ultra-violence and animation.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

tarlibone posted:

Maybe I have an irrationally soft spot for Jerry. To me, the repeated, unrelenting, unrepentant abuse of Jerry from the writers (and thus the characters, setting, and everything else on the show) is getting a little old.

I'm finding myself kind-of hoping that by the time Beth realizes that, for whatever horrible reason, she needs Jerry in her life, she'll go to him. And they've been hinting at this a little, what with the horse hoof collages and her other clear signs of having issues dealing with the separation. But, through no effort of his own, Jerry has managed to land a prettier woman with bigger problems with co-dependency, and those problems perfectly fit Jerry's own brand of pathos. And Jerry can't leave her because, reasons--probably she's financially supportive of him--and then Beth learns a lesson in taking things, even piles of poop, for granted.

Because honestly, I'm not really a big fan of Beth. I understand why Rick would take her side 100% of the time, but I don't get why the audience should. She's objectively terrible, and she only looks good when compared to Jerry.

Of course, Rick will do something and Jerry's life will be ruined because Rick & Morty, but hey, it'd be better than watching this particular dead horse continue to get thrashed every week.

Jerry is a piece of poo poo. Your soft spot is irrational as gently caress.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mulva posted:

He's a garbage person with practically zero redeeming qualities who always takes the easy path, and he deserves everything they poo poo on him. The fact Beth isn't great either doesn't change their marriage is better off over and his life is a failure.

Yeah, Jerry is a spineless parasite that leaches off of the people around him with no attempt at improving himself and he's only been right about one thing: Rick is just as big, if not a bigger piece of poo poo than he is. Unfortunately the only person that listens to Jerry about this (and agrees, for that matter) is Rick.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Wait if Healthy Rick got rid of his irrational attatchments and didn't care about people living or dying even if he was polite why was he so concerned if his toxic self was in pain and needed help?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mulva posted:

Yeesh, that's a little harsh.

Jerry isn't a great guy, but he's not a "garbage person". Sure he's a wuss and he's been kind of dickish in the past (like every other character on this show), but he also works hard to fix his mistakes when he fucks up and clearly loves his kids a lot. He's just an average, insecure guy doing his best and I hope things work out for him.

Sidenote: I've been trying to figure out what the funniest thing they could do with Jerry's character is and I think the answer is "Marries Doofus Rick".

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Wait if Healthy Rick got rid of his irrational attatchments and didn't care about people living or dying even if he was polite why was he so concerned if his toxic self was in pain and needed help?

Self-preservation.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeesh, that's a little harsh.

Jerry isn't a great guy, but he's not a "garbage person". Sure he's a wuss and he's been kind of dickish in the past (like every other character on this show), but he also works hard to fix his mistakes when he fucks up and clearly loves his kids a lot. He's just an average, insecure guy doing his best and I hope things work out for him.

Sidenote: I've been trying to figure out what the funniest thing they could do with Jerry's character is and I think the answer is "Marries Doofus Rick".

Goons have serious self-worth problems. One unfortunate side effect of this is frequent scathing indictments of cartoon characters.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

uh yeah, I liked the last couple eps quite a bit.. Good stuff.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hodgepodge posted:

Goons have serious self-worth problems. One unfortunate side effect of this is frequent scathing indictments of cartoon characters.

Projection is another.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Mulva posted:

Projection is another.

I wasn't going to be that harsh, but yeah, I guess you could be projecting some of your own issues onto Jerry. Chin up, goonsire, you can't be all that bad I'm sure.

looooossssseeeeerrrr

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

I wasn't going to be that harsh, but yeah, I guess you could be projecting some of your own issues onto Jerry. Chin up, goonsire, you can't be all that bad I'm sure.

looooossssseeeeerrrr

Hey, it's cool, if you couldn't defend someone whose greatest day was busting inside a real doll you probably wouldn't be able to look yourself in the mirror every morning, I totally understand.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mulva posted:

Hey, it's cool, if you couldn't defend someone whose greatest day was busting inside a real doll you probably wouldn't be able to look yourself in the mirror every morning, I totally understand.

Hey now. It wasn't a RealDoll. It was a computer simulation running at minimum capacity.

If he'd stopped and stared at her long enough, she might have twitched. Hell, she might have asked for an apple, Max-Headroom-style.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Jerry's shown some moments of true heroism, too, like in the couples therapy episode or attacking Risotto Groupon to the point that it almost gets him killed. The fact that he almost always ruins those moments (by becoming overly self-congratulatory in the therapy episode or pathetically grovelling for mercy from Groupon) doesn't fully negate those moments.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mulva posted:

Okay, in Jerry's defense, human music is pretty relaxing: https://youtu.be/xm41dHucxmM

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Mulva posted:

This is also how I convince people that I have no issues.

We can be like a team!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel about it. The first two seasons kept the character introspective elements secondary to the fun scifi. It gave the adventures just enough weight to be more than a standard adult animated comedy. We're still going on adventures, but so far each one has been a setup for a character study rather than just for the sake of fun.

But that said, this episode achieved the perfect balance of introspective character study and high-concept sci-fi and I thought it was brilliant.

It felt very reminiscent of good trek and stargate episodes to me (with more sci-fi gags of course). I'm really enjoying this season so far and I'd be happy if they just kept doing stuff like this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mulva posted:

lol you're so excited you can finally dunk on someone and it's a fictional character specifically designed to be the world's biggest loser

Congrats

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

lol you're so excited you can finally dunk on someone and it's a fictional character specifically designed to be the world's biggest loser

Congrats

Jesus man even I didn't call Hodgepodge fictional, it's just an internet forum. Lighten up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Every criticism Jerry makes about Beth/Rick is always 100% valid and the show used the other characters attitudes toward Rick as a framing device to make Jerry look like a wet blanket and a loser. Now that he's gone we realize that everything he said about Rick was true and everything played out exactly the way he said it would.

He's still a pathetic sniveling coward, but he has always been totally right about what the problems in the family are, in spite of being a clueless, selfish idiot the rest of the time.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

He's still a pathetic sniveling coward, but he has always been totally right about what the problems in the family are, in spite of being a clueless, selfish idiot the rest of the time.

Rick's a catalyst, but I think it's clear from conversations throughout the series that their marriage would be in trouble without him, which is pretty much exactly what the monster Rick had under the garage yelled at them.

Jerry's a perpetual victim/failure that uses that fact to emotionally extort support from Beth and the children.

Beth is intelligent and competent, but feels unaccomplished and blames her family (Jerry especially) for that. She takes solace in her superiority over him and alcoholism.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

Mulva posted:

Jesus man even I didn't call Hodgepodge fictional, it's just an internet forum. Lighten up.

Gonna be a warm night, cause I just got burned :kingsley:

Anyhow, the ongoing meta-joke is that Rick blames Jerry for ruining Beth's life, but the fact is that this dude whose existence is a setup for a series of punchlines is actually categorically, permanently a better and more worthwhile person than Rick, because Jerry didn't abandon his loving kids and Rick did. No matter what Rick does, he will never be as good a person as Jerry. So he's trying to force Jerry down to his level, and managing to blight another generation in the process. Dude is so incapable of admitting he hosed up that he's loving up his own grandkids to feel superior to Jerry. Let that thought slosh around a little. I have taint hairs with more intrinsic worth than Rick.

Rick is way more fun, but the premise of the show is that this alcoholic dead-beat who imposes himself on the lives of his daughter and her family is really a wacky space wizard whose existence is uniquely magical instead of actually even more pathetic than the sad people around him.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 30, 2017

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I don't get this "Jerry emotionally manipulates people" thing. Yeah he's spineless, but at what point in the show has he used this fact to make someone do something that harmed them or enriched himself? If anything most of his plots in season 1/2 were about him overcoming his spinelessness to confront the Meeseeks or Xenomorph Beth or whatever. It's getting to Meg in Family Guy levels where the writers think we're somehow supposed to root for this characters misery despite the fact they've done nothing they've been accused of on-screen.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Baronjutter posted:

The purge episode is one of my favorites because I love the ultra-violence and animation.

I like the part where they kill all the rich people.

Also, that song is catchy. :blush:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

galagazombie posted:

I don't get this "Jerry emotionally manipulates people" thing. Yeah he's spineless, but at what point in the show has he used this fact to make someone do something that harmed them or enriched himself? If anything most of his plots in season 1/2 were about him overcoming his spinelessness to confront the Meeseeks or Xenomorph Beth or whatever. It's getting to Meg in Family Guy levels where the writers think we're somehow supposed to root for this characters misery despite the fact they've done nothing they've been accused of on-screen.

Jerry's a pretty big piece of trash in s3e1, happy solely for the fact that he's a 'success' while everyone else is miserable, and he's still done nothing of worth to accomplish it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lmao

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Playstation 4 posted:

Jerry's a pretty big piece of trash in s3e1, happy solely for the fact that he's a 'success' while everyone else is miserable, and he's still done nothing of worth to accomplish it.

The universe throws him a bone, can't blame him being happy about it.

The truth is, we're all garbage people. We're all garbage crab-people in a trash-bucket and when one of us tries to climb out of the bucket, the rest of us pulls them back down, back down in the trash, in an effort to get out as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jerry isn't a good person but he's bad in mundane, boring ways while Rick is bad in atrocious, grandiose ways like "enslaving entire realities" and "Cronenberging the world". Rick's spiel about Jerry being an evil emotional parasite is partly true, partly Rick just being a hateful person who's deflecting his own nastiness onto Jerry.