Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ragequit posted:

I love the piracy protections that mess with people in subtle ways so they post in anger that they can't complete a section of the game. In Mirror's Edge it slowed down your running speed before a critical jump so you would never make it. I believe Batman had a gliding section that would cause you to fall to your death every time. In the threads that popped up asking how to pass these areas, people would respond with "You pass it by not pirating the game, dumbass."

Wasn't there I think a Ghostbusters game on these forums that had a mix of people posting "God this game is so insanely difficult I can't beat anything" and "How the gently caress is anyone having problems with this it's so easy" and it turned out whoops, enemies in pirated copies were basically unkillable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Wasn't Batman the one that triggered for a lot of people who actually bought the game though? I played it on xbox so I don't remember which one it was.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I'm always paranoid about those 'funny' anti-piracy measures because I'm worried that it will randomly trigger on legit copy and then only help I will get is people telling me to buy the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

il_cornuto posted:

Wasn't Batman the one that triggered for a lot of people who actually bought the game though? I played it on xbox so I don't remember which one it was.

I think it was one of the Ubi games where a lot of people who bought it from a shady key reseller like G2A ended up getting flagged for piracy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The immortal scorpion-man in Serious Sam 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91q5BtlxK0

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
In Mass Effect 1 your guns would overheat infinitely, In one of the newer Serious Sams there was an unkillable enemy who would constantly follow you, and in one of the Souls games the devs would invade you with their invincible characters

beaten on Serious Sam

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

throw to first drat IT posted:

I'm always paranoid about those 'funny' anti-piracy measures because I'm worried that it will randomly trigger on legit copy and then only help I will get is people telling me to buy the game.

Its probably similar with most of them but I know that the Game Dev Simulator guys posted their own game on TPB with that piracy change so it was an entirely separate build. If you purchased it legit then you were safe.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Most or all of these antipiracy measures you guys are currently jerking off to are beaten within a day. Denuvo has been actually effective.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zigmidge posted:

Most or all of these antipiracy measures you guys are currently jerking off to are beaten within a day. Denuvo has been actually effective.

They're still funny

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

why is this relevant. who cares

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

why is this relevant. who cares

it's Zigmidge

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NORMIE: Haha, look at the silly dog trying to bury his food in his bed!

ZIGMIDGE: *sigh* that dog you are so childishly amused by is exhibiting extreme foolishness. He is in a safe place and has no need to bury dog food, which humans will not readily consume, and furthermore he should have learned by now that his bed is not a suitable place for burying. I will waste no more of my attention on this vile hound.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
steam thread: hnnnnnnnnn i'm almost there

a good looking game called absolver came out, someone talk about that

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I heard Denuvo has caused some problems like slowing down games in the past, as well as allowing the companies that use it to get information on their users- maybe that's why Denuvo gets such a bad rap?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Zigmidge posted:

steam thread: hnnnnnnnnn i'm almost there

Have you watched any of it? It looks so shallow and lovely

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

the STEAM THREAD CIRCLEJERK currently has a mixed opinion of Absolver

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

I heard Denuvo has caused some problems like slowing down games in the past, as well as allowing the companies that use it to get information on their users- maybe that's why Denuvo gets such a bad rap?

The first case was an actually terrible port where removing Denuvo did nothing.

The latter is fearmongering spread by reddit anti-DRM crusaders.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Rime had performance issues related to denuvo checks and they literally removed it days after the game came out because the cracked version ran better. like the lead dev or something even admitted it had a performance impact.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 30, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Wildtortilla posted:

I completed Baldurs Gate EE yesterday after playing it for two months! It was a great game and I wished I had understood it better when it released 20 years ago.

It's easily the best RPG I've played to date. At no point did it feel like a slog. The combat is great and the story is fun. Especially how you bring down the big bad in the final segments of the game.

If anyone here hasn't played it stop buying dumb new video games and play this old fun video game! I'm looking forward to Siege of Dragonspear and BG2. I have loads of adventuring still to do. :D

This is kinda where I am with Pillars of Eternity right now. I never got into the old Infinity Engine games but I'm hooked on Pillars and it's making me think I should go back and finally work through Baldur's Gate (which never hooked me at all) or Planescape: Torment (which I only got halfway through) after I finish it. For some reason I never had much patience for western RPGs besides Fallout when I was a kid, and now they feel like the perfect speed for me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's good to see people getting into IE games for the first time. I myself played Icewind Dale for the first time ever earlier this year.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wildtortilla posted:

I completed Baldurs Gate EE yesterday after playing it for two months! It was a great game and I wished I had understood it better when it released 20 years ago.

It's easily the best RPG I've played to date. At no point did it feel like a slog. The combat is great and the story is fun. Especially how you bring down the big bad in the final segments of the game.

If anyone here hasn't played it stop buying dumb new video games and play this old fun video game! I'm looking forward to Siege of Dragonspear and BG2. I have loads of adventuring still to do. :D

My dude bg2 is gonna rock your world

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Too Shy Guy posted:

This is kinda where I am with Pillars of Eternity right now. I never got into the old Infinity Engine games but I'm hooked on Pillars and it's making me think I should go back and finally work through Baldur's Gate (which never hooked me at all) or Planescape: Torment (which I only got halfway through) after I finish it. For some reason I never had much patience for western RPGs besides Fallout when I was a kid, and now they feel like the perfect speed for me.

We almost are the same person.

The only western RPG that I played was FO 1 and 2 when I was in elementary and middle school.

I bought BGTOTSC when I was a teenager because I thought it was going to be a game like Diablo. It wasn't but I was too stupid apparently to realize that it wasn't a janky Diablo instead of a fine tuned game.

I then played some of Pillers at release but never finished it. Then again last summer and got up to only needing to finish WM2 and the final act but I burned out. I should go finish that now.

But man BG sucked me in! It's excellent. Leveling up is super satisfying because each level feels very substantial in terms of new spells, spell slots, chance to hit, defenses keep you alive better. It's great. It's a great game and you should play it. I'm looking forward to playing SOD, BG2, and IWD.

Newer games just aren't doing it for me anymore. Too many versions and exclusives and editions and it's just too loving annoying for me to care.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sivek posted:

Rime had performance issues related to denuvo checks and they literally removed it days after the game came out because the cracked version ran better. like the lead dev or something even admitted it had a performance impact.

Except that proved to be false. The cracked and patched version didn't run much better at all. It took a few more patches that fixed the shader issues before the game performed even decently.

The lead dev in fact denied Denuvo had anything to do with it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

We almost are the same person.

The only western RPG that I played was FO 1 and 2 when I was in elementary and middle school.

I bought BGTOTSC when I was a teenager because I thought it was going to be a game like Diablo. It wasn't but I was too stupid apparently to realize that it wasn't a janky Diablo instead of a fine tuned game.

I then played some of Pillers at release but never finished it. Then again last summer and got up to only needing to finish WM2 and the final act but I burned out. I should go finish that now.

But man BG sucked me in! It's excellent. Leveling up is super satisfying because each level feels very substantial in terms of new spells, spell slots, chance to hit, defenses keep you alive better. It's great. It's a great game and you should play it. I'm looking forward to playing SOD, BG2, and IWD.

Newer games just aren't doing it for me anymore. Too many versions and exclusives and editions and it's just too loving annoying for me to care.

Don't forget to play Planescape: Torment eventually. Rightfully considered a classic, and it's been on Steam for a few months now.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Speaking of. How is the new torment? I seem to remember that it being good for fans and just okay for everyone else.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Except that proved to be false. The cracked and patched version didn't run much better at all. It took a few more patches that fixed the shader issues before the game performed even decently.

The lead dev in fact denied Denuvo had anything to do with it.

I had a feeling that wasn't true because the console versions ran like poo poo as well.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Professor Latency posted:

Speaking of. How is the new torment? I seem to remember that it being good for fans and just okay for everyone else.
Opinions are all over the place most people enjoy the worldbuilding and the setting and dislike the combat (which there is little of).

It's one of those games where it's hard to predict where someone will come down on it but you should have a solid idea before the refund time limit is up if you want to give it a try.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Some people don't like it, among other reasons because of the poor (and sporadic) combat and because it just doesn't live up to the original. And I mean, it doesn't, because Planescape: Torment is one of the best RPGs of all time, but I still liked Tides of Numenera plenty. I liked the writing, settings and aesthetics, and there are some great design choices. Check it out if you're a Planescape fan.

e: yeah, what Darkhold said.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
X-Morph: Defense just came out and it's awesome.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't forgotten about Torment... I'm just not sure if I want to play it. I know it's great but I play these games more for the combat than the story and by all accounts that is lacking in Torment. With that said it's on my wish list as a maybe I'll play this some day game.

I also have the new Torment, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Dragonfall, and old Fallouts vying for my attention.

Speaking of Dragonfall, I spent a bit of time with it yesterday after finishing BG and wanting a short deviation before diving into SOD, and I am having trouble enjoying it. I am crippled by character creation because I don't know what any skills really do. I'm also not sure how companions work - do I have to outfit them with gear and distribute skill points or does the game handle that between missions? So far the first mission felt like a boring version of XCOM. Any advice or suggestions about builds? I am thinking about making a Decker/Rigger combo so hack computers and use drones.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blattdorf posted:

X-Morph: Defense just came out and it's awesome.

another game to check out aaaa

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Another classic piracy-outer was when pirated copies of Garry's Mod would crash with a particular error message followed by a seemingly random string. Except that string was actually their SteamID, so when they complained on the forums they set themselves up for a laser targeted ban.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I love the piracy protections that mess with people in subtle ways so they post in anger that they can't complete a section of the game.

I think it was titan quest devs who learned the hard way why this is still a bad idea - since all the complains from pirates about the game not running made it look like a buggy piece of crap, legit customers stayed away too so it didn't sell.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/EchoBazaar/status/902940773292920832

Because, of course, there just aren't enough games coming out. :D

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe this one'll be fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Orv posted:

Maybe this one'll be fun.

They said in their kickstarter that they really wanted to make this one actually fun, so...

I mean it's a kickstarter they'll promise the moon, but they listened, they're aware there is a lack of fun in their game, if they're smart they'll follow up on that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is Hellblade just... not that good? The story is compelling and it's very pretty but the sluggish controls and unresponsive combat really make it more of an exercise in frustration.
Like, I appreciate what it's trying to do and I'd even be more interested in the story if it didn't play like rear end.

I'm fairly sure I'm still early on - just beat Valravn - but unless it's gonna change the formula I don't see myself finishing it, as intriguing as the presentation is.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Is it just me or is Hellblade just... not that good? The story is compelling and it's very pretty but the sluggish controls and unresponsive combat really make it more of an exercise in frustration.
Like, I appreciate what it's trying to do and I'd even be more interested in the story if it didn't play like rear end.

I'm fairly sure I'm still early on - just beat Valravn - but unless it's gonna change the formula I don't see myself finishing it, as intriguing as the presentation is.

The combat is supposed to be bad and uninteresting. Yahtzee totally missed this incredibly obvious point in his review, too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The combat is supposed to be bad and uninteresting. Yahtzee totally missed this incredibly obvious point in his review, too.

everyone in this thread was defending how good the combat was at release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

anilEhilated posted:

actually by the end you get to fight thirty or forty identical enemies in a row, with the same tedious combat